Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• sensaisensai Posts: 129
    Notice there haven't been any rebuttals from them since the official word came out?

Uh, it was known from the start that the contract to import GTOs was 3 years only. I not sure why everyone thinks this is some sort of surprise...
  • "1st, lets get one thing clear...the GTO does not "blow the doors off" the GT, I think even the GTO owners will agree to that. The posted performance numbers are very close."

Hate to break the news to you genius, but when we're talking these kinds of numbers, a 5 tenths of a second difference is definately "blowing the doors off" of your play play mustang. That's like saying Ben Johnson barely beat Carl Lewis in '88.

Let's cut the BS. Everyone hear is mainly concerned with one thing with these two cars, the "smoke or get smoked" factor. Talk all you want about looks, Australia, whatever. Bottom line is when you Mustang owners turn out the lights and go to bed at night, in that little place in the back of your mind, no matter how hard you try to block it out, you know your manhood is forfeit because that LS2 will rip your guts out, ALL DAY. AND THAT IS NOT DEBATEABLE (please save the supercharge this and that comments).
  • How can a car which is made in Australia and looks like a Cavalier on steroids be considered "old style muscle"? While the GTO has a great engine and a nice interior, there is no old style in it. The lackluster sales of the GTO can be directly attributed to its, at best, uninspired styling and high price. While the GTO withers away, the Mustang GT is still in short supply.
  • Shucks! If I had known my manhood was forfeit, because I went with the Mustang GT, I would have pressed my Ford dealer for those free floormats and mudflaps.... I mean seriously! What in the world are you talking about?!

Those 5 tenths in the quarter mile end up costing a GTO buyer 5 grand. Mustang GT buyers can't dispute a stock GTO can out-accelerate a stock GT, nor can a GTO buyer dispute Edmund's objective data that the average price for a SIMILARLY configured GTO is 5 large more than the GT. Why would I pay 5 grand more for something that looks terrible, gets worse gas mileage, has a far worse repair and reliability record when I can get something very close and use those greenbacks to out accelerate and out corner the GTO?
  • sigt1sigt1 Posts: 66
    new camaro looks like crap too
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Hate to break the news to YOU genius but there's always somebody faster out there.

No, everyone here is NOT mainly concerned with one thing between these two cars. Apparently, only the GTO guys. Perhaps the Mustang guys are adult enough to realize that life DOESN'T begin and end with 0-60 and 1/4 mile timeslips. Those who DO put a lot of stock in those things will (pardon the pun) NOT be running stock for long.

Bottom line is when YOU turn out the lights and go to bed at night, in that little place in the back of your mind, no matter how hard you try to block it out, you realize that you've transferred all of your self worth into an inanimate object. Some of us with a little more self confidence really don't care.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Maybe you're right. Maybe we Mustang GT guys shouldn't have forfeited our manhood and should've bought the GTO instead so that we, too, could brag incessantly about how nice the interior is and how comfortable the back seat is and how nicely it rides around town and how the fit-n-finish is so wonderul. :sick: Nope, we shouldn't have forfeited our manhood. We should've went with the car that is clearly much "softer" than the 'stang! :P We Mustang GT guys ought to be ASHAMED! It appears we threw our manhood right in the trash by buying the harder edged car. :confuse:
    Uh, it was known from the start that the contract to import GTOs was 3 years only. I not sure why everyone thinks this is some sort of surprise...

Actually, it doesn't come as a surprise to us. The thing is, though, the GTO guys were in denial the whole time. I recall that some of them about soiled themselves when they heard there was going to be a 2006 model.
  • HA. dadecounty is funny. I think that is the best post yet.

We GAVE our manhood to the Jessica Alba of cars, the playboy centerfold of cars...something someone is is going to remember for a long time, and something that will be around for just as long.

But GTO owners, you threw your manhood away to a one night stand. Here today GONE tomorrow. (Or in your case, the end of this year!!!) Bye Bye GTO.
  • First, thanks to YOU, Mustang owners, and the rest of our "Monkey See Monkey Do" society, there are 2005 GTO leftovers sitting on lots right now for around 28k. So your 5k argument is forfeit as well.

"...there's always somebody faster out there."

Funny, I thought we were talking about the GTO and Mustang, but yeah (let me see 4.6 -.5 = 3.9), if you show me a 3 second car, I have no problem admitting "I just got smoked".

"...harder edged car."

If "harder edged" means looks cheap and makes a sound like tin when you tap it, I agree with you. Maybe next year you guys can get really "hard edged" and all buy Nissan 350 Zs.

As I expected, more BS. Since no Mustang owner can relate to or cares to address the "Smoke or Get Smoked" fator, my argument just gets stronger. Due to the fact I have to say "pick on a Mustang" (can't really say challenge) when it comes to these things, it really just makes the argument more lopsided and boring to me.

As far as for the "End" of the GTO. While "killing" an automobile is not necessarily a good thing for the car manufactuer, it can be a great thing for the owner and for the street cred of the car (think '95, '96, '97 Chevy Impala- oh I forget who I'm talking too. You guys probably won't understand that either. oh well.)
  • "cobragt"??? is that when you buy a GT and then put the snake emblem on it that you got at the swap meet?
  • One more thing, give me 19 year old Dwight Gooden wearing all white shoes and throwing 100 mph rising fastballs in the 1984 MLB All-Star Game. Thanks.
  • My IQ just dropped for reading your last 2 posts. Remind me again WHAT you are talking about?

As far as the snake emblem, I own a 03 Cobra. What's your point?
    "Funny, I thought we were talking about the GTO and Mustang, but yeah (let me see 4.6 -.5 = 3.9), if you show me a 3 second car, I have no problem admitting "I just got smoked".

hahahahahahaha

That's hilarious! :P SOMETHINGS obviously been smoked....

Car and Driver got a 0-60 of 4.8 for the GTO, 5.1 for the Mustang. Pontiac's OWN WEB PAGE for the GTO (where it says "click to see how we beat the competition) gives a time of 6.00 for the GTO and 6.18 for the Mustang (both auto equipped cars).

3.9 seconds for the GTO? Stock? Wake up from your dream before you make a mess.....

Yes, there's always somebody faster out there. Yes, I know we were only talking about the GTO and the Mustang. But your response indicates you don't care if another faster car 'smokes' you, only that you can 'smoke' a Mustang.

And the fact that you've admitted that you believe manhood is centered around 0-60 times is FASCINATING.....
  • Hey genius, I wasn't using the 3.9 second number for the GTO. I definately think a 5 tenths of second difference between the 2 cars(GTO and Mustang) is realistic though. But, hey, with 3 tenths of a second difference (let's do this SLOOOWLY 5.1 - 4.8 = 0.3 sec), you still got SMOKED. Your right I don't care if there are $50k - $500k cars out there that are faster.

And the fact that I go 0-60 in less than 5 seconds for UNDER $30k, yes, that is Fascinating...
    What was that, like ONE time the GTO made a 4.8 0-60? You guys keep comparing the GTO's best time EVER to the GT's average time. What gives?

BTW, at a lousy 60MPH, 3 tenths of a second isn't very much distance at all. A whopping 26.4'. About 1.5 Mustang lengths. Even less if you use GTO lengths. That's far from a "smoking." Getting "smoked" would be the distance between a Ford GT and a GTO. Or maybe even the distance between an '04 GTO and an '05 GTO (which the Mustang GT would be smack dab in the middle of the two.
  • we can debate the accuracy of the 0-60 sec times all day (you think the Mustang GT's AVERAGE time is 5.1??- who's really smoking something)- I have no desire to and this whole discussion is starting to bore me.

Bottom line, and no matter how you want to twist the truth, every Mustang owner knows this, THAT LS2 WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT ALL DAY, PERIOD. The Number #1 Most Important Thing that people talk about and remember when it comes to "Muscle Cars" is WHO's GOT THE GOODS. As for the rest of the BS and talknig about cars (The GT) that costs twice as much - who cares. Again, I thought this post was about '05 GTOs and Mustangs.

Like I said, the whole argument from you Pony Pirates is TIRED. If any one wants to spit cold hard facts about LS2's, 400 lbs of torque and the reason you can't even put 5.0 (sad, ain't it?) on the side of your cars anymore, let me know.
  • there are 2005 GTO leftovers sitting on lots right now for around 28k

Consumers vote with their dollars. There are no leftover Mustang GT Premiums w/ manual sitting around anywhere, and when you do find one, good luck getting it at less than MSRP. :shades:
  • Wow, dude you are getting way, way lame here. Either you are some dilusional old man, or some immature teen.

You tell me WHERE I EVER said that my GT was a Cobra? Ask anyone here. I never said, nor hinted nor clamied that to be the case. I said I own a 2003 10th Ann. Ed. Cobra, and a 2005 GT. If there is one thing I hate, its people who buy a car, and make it look like something its not. I'm proud to have a GT that has extra power due to modifications.

I think anyone here will agree that you are going out of line with comments like that. Totally uncalled for, and doesn't even make sense.
    "Bottom line, and no matter how you want to twist the truth, every Mustang owner knows this, THAT LS2 WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT ALL DAY, PERIOD."

Trying to define whether a 0.5 second advantage or a 0.3 second advantage qualifies as a 'smoke' is tedious. Likewise with trying to define 'rip your guts out all day'. Boring.

Let's review a few facts:

The previous generation F-bodies had a performance advantage over the same generation Mustangs.

The previous generation F-bodies are no longer with us.

The current generation GTO has a performance advantage over the current Mustang.

The current generation GTO is soon to be history.

Do you see a pattern?

At what point will the GM fans realize that most consumers DON'T CARE about a 0.3 second (or even a 0.5 second) disadvantage in 0-60? At what point will GM fans realize that we don't all have our own personal little John Force living inside of us with a rabid desire to 'smoke' everybody?

Just because you may lie awake nights, trembling in cross-eyed ectasy at the thought of how many people you left cowering in the wake of your mighty GTO that day, doesn't mean that everybody else is sharing the same fantasy. Get a grip; or perhaps loosen it.....