Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes-Benz S-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

2»

Comments

• I'm in the market for an 08 S550. Options:

- P2
    - AMG Package
    - Wood/leather steering
    - Power rear/side window blinds

The MSRP is $98,585 (incl. GGT). Any idea what I should pay for this? I am in Austin, TX and looking to go with MB Of Austin but have not heard too many flattering reviews about them. I'm also looking at Houston/Dallas dealerships.

I'm good at bargaining, so I should be able to get a good deal. The question is WHAT's a good deal for this car?

Thanks!
  • fuenfer - what's a good deal on the S550 I want to purchase? Please see my post above.
  • I am considering buying a 2005 S500 Designo Edition with 62 thousand miles.It is a one owner lease car. Can anyone give me some feedback? Do I sat away? Problem areas? Expensive to maintain? Reliability? Is this a good year for this model? What is a good price to pay for this car? Please, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
  • retnavretnav Posts: 25
    I currently own a 2003 E-320, new in January 2003. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car, only 25k miles on it. At service another customer said the S is so superior to the E there is no comparison. Well, that created interest! Setting the purchase price aside, anyone out there made this kind of fleetup? Opinions?
  • technartechnar Posts: 10
    The following might be helpful for people considering getting an S class and are not familiar with MB customer service.

About two months ago I leased a 2008 S63 (first time Mercedes customer). Several days ago, the A/C compressor quit working and I took the car to the dealer for repairs. It appears that the compressor has to be ordered from Germany and it may take 2-3 weeks to finish the repair on top of the 5 days the car's been at the dealership. The dealership is not willing to provide a comparable loaner. Their offer is either a C or an E class. They are also not willing to overnight the compressor from Germany. So, I have to wait a month for my car and basically pay $2500 (my monthly lease payment) to drive the E350 instead. I know Lexus would give you the same model as yours for a loaner.

I thought I'd try calling MB customer service. Their response was that as long as the loaner was a Mercedes vehicle not much else they can do. When asked about expediting getting the replacement compressor, the guy said he will try to help me out as if doing me a favor (will update on that later). Well, I think I'll do myself a favor and go with a different brand the next time I decide to get a $140k car.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Hi. This is a first time I heard from a S63 owner.

Well I am surprised its 1 of the top end benz model you should get some respect.

My uncle bought a S class 3 or 4 months back not the amg version

No problems at all......

What car did you own previously before getting the s63?

Any experience in other brand or suvs.

Yes lexus is a very reliable car without any kinds of trouble I don't think you will have any problems with lexus thats the reason why lexus has had such an amazing reputation since many years.

From what I keep reading from other posts german cars are amazing to drive the best road feel fun to drive but when you have those troubles again and again you tend to forget about all the good things.

I think its true as some1 said benz bmw audi jag are all great luxury cars but a RISKY buy ;)

I like suvs and I think BMW suvs are amazing but those troubles really scares me to get a german car.

I hope to get a reply from you.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Posts: 425
    That really is unfortunate. I'd say the E-loaner would be fine if they were willing to "eat" your monthly payment, or at least pro-rate it for the duration your vehicle is out of comission.

Hard to believe that there is not a single S demo they could let you drive for a few weeks???

I don't blame you for wanting to switch brands.

In this case, you might want to throw some of your clout out there and emphasize the fact that your are indeed driving a $140k automobile. Not a big fan of the ego, but a little bit of a "do you know who I am" attitude might get somebody's attention on this matter.

Good Luck!
  • technartechnar Posts: 10
    To bmlexus:
    Just turned my A8L in after the lease term has ended. My wife drives a 750Li. Both the A8 and the S63 are great cars. I was going to get the S8, but it seems that Audi's residual value is worthless at the moment. I think the 750 is inferior to both in terms of interior and especially the iDrive thing (clearly designed by engineers instead of designers). Never had any problems with the A8. 750 ran out of oil within about 10k miles (was nearly empty when we got to the dealer), no other issues.

I don't mind that the compressor broke down that much. I'm sure it's not a common issue. But I never expected this level of "service" from Mercedes.

Lexus makes great cars and I did look at the new LS, but it just seems like this is a car for a much older crowd. S63 is a blast to drive. I've gone up against several Porsche and some guys on crotch rockets and was able to keep up just fine (I'm not very experienced). Just feels like a big let down from MB over a minor issue such as this.

To ocautoseeker:
    I did mention the payment. The dealer sends me to MB. MB sends me back to the dealer :) As far as an S class demo car, I asked about that too. Since MB does not make it a requirement to match the loaner model with yours, the dealership does not have to cooperate (I guess they don't believe in repeat business). Speaking of the dealership, the one in question is Keyes Mercedes (Keyes European) in Van Nuys California. I would recommend avoiding it at this point. The whole thing just seems weird. I own a business myself and I would never dream of treating my customers this way.

Anyway, enough crying :) Just wanted to share my experience. I hope it may help someone in the future. I think my next car will be an R8. Audi just seems to be a better company and the R8 has got to be a great car.

Thank you.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    . How do you rate these 3 cars from 1 TO 3?

Well since the S class is the latest of the 3 I think it was the better choice.

BTW do you know that the 7 series will have a redesign this year Audi as well not sure when.

think the 750 is inferior to both in terms of interior and especially the iDrive thing (clearly designed by engineers instead of designers).

I guess if you say so.

I don't mind that the compressor broke down that much. I'm sure it's not a common issue. But I never expected this level of "service" from Mercedes.

I guess they will always be like that.

To proud of their product ;)

Lexus makes great cars and I did look at the new LS, but it just seems like this is a car for a much older crowd. S63 is a blast to drive. I've gone up against several Porsche and some guys on crotch rockets and was able to keep up just fine (I'm not very experienced). Just feels like a big let down from MB over a minor issue such as this

Well the car is for a much older crowd because the older people have a better experience I guess ;)

crotch rocket? like lambos ferrari etc?

Just wanted to share my experience. I hope it may help someone in the future. I think my next car will be an R8. Audi just seems to be a better company and the R8 has got to be a great car.

Audi R8 isn't that a very different car then the S class :confuse:

Anyway good luck let us know here when you get back your car.
  • Anyone aware of any dealerships offering 0% financing for 3/5 yrs?

thanks in advance
  • Buying used, certified 2007 with low miles. Any suggestions ? Prices payed?
    Prices payed on new 2009?
  • aeggroupaeggroup Posts: 131
    I'm thinking to buy used too. If I understood it correctly, MB certified program does not help, because you get it only for 1 year or 100,000 mile, whatever comes first. of course, 1 year will come first, so there is no point to do it. I'm thinking to go to delear's action and buy 2 year old car with 25-30K on it. Realistically speaking you can buy this car for about 45K from MB finacial service line on action. Make sure you use green light cars only and check Carfax history of this car before you going to bit on it. MB original warranty is for 4 years or 50K miles, so you will drive another 2 years with warranty and then decide what to do with this car. Anyway it should be smart way to enjoy S-class. What do you think ?
  • alexanderk:
    >>Realistically speaking you can buy this car for about 45K from MB finacial service line on action<<

Could you advise how to get to this MB "auction"?

Thanks in advance,
    George
  • You can go there with any dealer, who has a right to buy from there. Usually they charge about $500-$700 for this service plus all auction fees. You may do better deal. Where are you located. I'm in NY and we have no problem to find those guys.
  • I went to a MB dealer in NJ today, and was offered a left over 09 S550 4Matic with the following options for $76280 + Tax + Fees and the total is $82640 or so.

- Premium II
    - IPod Integration
    - Bluetooth

Is it a good deal?

Thanks,
    Victor
  • I'm looking at 1 owner pvt party 31K miles P2, Flint/ Black S550. the car is out of the org war period; however, i can get an ext war from MB if I like for about 5k (7yr 100K). I can get the car for 43K. Thoughts on that price? I'm in the southwest. Great carfax, all records...meticulous guy.
  • blevan7blevan7 Posts: 2
    I have my 48 month lease coming to end shortly. Lease-end buyout option is $37k. The car is in excellent condition with under 30k miles! So, I am considering buying it out. Any ideas if this is a fair price? I did some quick checks, e.g. Edmunds TMV and it looks fair but may be I am missing something. It will be plus taxes and $150 fee to buy out. Most importantly, can the buyout price be negotiated with MB Financial? I mean has anyone had success with this? If I approach them, not sure what to tell them about the miles, they may like me returning it if they have an idea of its good condition and not negotiate the price at all.. Thanks.
2»