Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    Hmmm interesting question. I'd say it is more Camry like in the driving department (older model Camry, not brand new Camry. Interestingly enough to me, the Camry drive like American cars used to. Very soft ride. I which American cars were better though GM and Ford have been fighting back with the Impala and the Fusion. Now if they could just make some hot designs and improve on the Malibu and 500.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "The last time I hit a pedestrian"

No offense, but you make it sound like you have quite a bit of experience in this area. :surprise:
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Hyundai always copies designs from other car makers, interiors, exteriors, mechanical components.

Yes, isn't it ridiculous? The Sonata has 4 wheels like a Fusion, 1 trunk like a Milan, 2 tail lights like a Camry, 2 headlights like an Accord, and 1 steering wheel like a Mazda6.

At this point, I think all car designs have been done before and must eventually be repeated. There's only so many permutations in the universe of car design. Believe me, no car maker wants to copy any other. There is only so much room on these little cars for aesthetic design. If you get radical with the design, you will infringe on something important... like leg room, head room, trunk capacity, engine bay room, or safety. I bet even your car looks like other cars in some respects. Bet? :D
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    >Hyundai always copies designs from other car makers, interiors, exteriors, mechanical components.

The accord copied the LaCrosse/Impala tailights for it's 2006 corrections of its earlier Buick-like tailight design.

This message has been approved.

The accord copied the LaCrosse/Impala tailights for it's 2006 corrections of its earlier Buick-like tailight design.

I seriously doubt that. Do they look alike? Yes. Were they copied? Not likely at all. Designs are usually "locked in" about 2 years before the cars are released to manufacturing. Designs are kept under the strictest secrecy. Just like ladies wearing the same dress to a party, coincidence's do happen. :D
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Those who have driven or test driven this car, would you feel it has more of a european or japanese feel to it?
    Japanese styling with American handling and ride. No Euro-feel to me (GLS I-4); European cars I drove had much more body control and tighter steering (Audi A4 Cabriolet, VW New Beetle, etc...).

The closest "non-European" car to the European driving feel benchmark for under $25,000 IMO is my Accord. It steers and handles closest to the Audi A4 I drove; and while not quite as sweet to drive, I can fit four people in comfort (did it this weekend on a trip to the lake) and got 32 MPG to boot (no interstate, just twisty roads near Mt. Cheeha in AL, the tallest Mtn. in the state).

P.S. I haven't driven a 2007 Camry, just a 2006 LE, which drove similarly to the Sonata; so i can't judge that car's handling.
    The Sonata definitely handles like the Japanese cars. Not severe on bumps like the Euro cars, a good dose of understeer. It handles somewhere between the Accord (sportier) and the Camry (softer).
    The closest "non-European" car to the European driving feel benchmark for under $25,000 IMO is my Accord.

Among the cars I have driven, I would give that to the Mazda6. But you're right, the Accord leans toward a "Euro" feel.
  • ar39ar39 Posts: 61
    I agree with bobad. If you would like to see imitations, check-out that new Chinese car which will roll out in the US around 2010. I dont remember the name but, I thought I saw a Merc C class at first glance. Closer observation revealed a different class all-together or was there any class :confuse:
    The Mazda 6 IS a great handling car, but it lacks the dampening feel that BMW offers, which I feel like the Accord does a little better (though it's no Bimmer). The Mazda is MORE athletic than the Euro cars I had driven. Impressive for a family car, eh?
    Impressive for a family car, eh?

Darn right. But the Secretary of the Treasury said it was "too rough and noisy". OK, when I buy my new pickup truck, she doesn't get any input. :)
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    I don't think the sonata looks japanese at all. The sonata is much better looking than japanese mid size cars, more euro. It is quiet like japanese cars in sacrifice of euro handling, brakes like a strong euro car. American cars have usually heavy horses, i dunno waht else they are known for, so the sonata has no american in it(maybe cept dimensions) in my opinion.

But I think for overall feel i got more european feel(substance, styling, braking, more torque at lower rpms).
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    In the non euro handling department, the mazda 6 or tsx meet that department in my eyes. Mazda 6 i think even edges the tsx. Prob the best fwd steering/car right now.

Mazda 6 is has as telepathic steering/handling feel as the bmw, but of course the bimmer, has double the engine tech, and everything else better but with a higher price.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    This may have been true of the last generation, but the new Camry's handling feels sharper to me than that of the Sonata's, and I would guess even moreso in SE trim (though I have only driven an 07 Camry LE).

~alpha
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    I guess Honda should also sue Toyota too with similar "look-alike" tail lights on the new Camry. If they do, they will certainly lose as Toyota has much deeper pockets than Honda.

Check out the old Audi A6 tail lights also . . . now who's copying whom?
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Park a 2006 Accord next to a 2006 Impala . . . you will be surprised at the overall similar shape and appearance.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    I recently rented a '06 Impala and was amazed at how much the rear end resembled the Accord. Not amazed with much else, though. I'm seeing more & more '07 Camrys around and have to say, they did a pretty decent job with the re-style; not beautiful, but way better than the previous gen. Will no doubt lure some Accord fans, heck I might even drive one this Fall and haven't driven a Camry in years (Accord fan, now Mazda6 fan). Should be interesting to see how much they have improved the handling.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I am not going to claim the Fusion/Milan as all powerful and superior mid-size sedan. All these cars have thier strenghts and weaknesses. Just test drive one, be open minded. The Fusion/Milan are serious contendors in this market. The Value, fit/finish, substance is all their...
    Cheers... ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    My 03 Accord was in the body shop for 2 weeks ( wife got rear-ended ). So Enterprise has an 06 Impala. I keep hearing that the American car companies have improved. I'm sorry, but they are not even close. The interior is made from cheap materials, has a terrible ergonomic layout ( the air conditioner controls are behind the shift lever, and the little light that indicates the A/C is on/off is so small and low that you practically have to get in the back seat and lean over to see it ). If they can't design something better themselves, they should at least copy someone else's ( who know what they are doing ) design. It's pretty sad that a brand new 06 Impala felt so inferior to a 3 year old Accord. I guess I won't be switching back to American cars any time soon.
    I don't think anyone would doubt that each car has its strong points...for example, your new wheels has style on its side, as well as handling.

I look at $23.5k for a Fusion and see what I can get for roughly $500-$1000 more in an Accord EX-V6 (Check out prices paid forum, it happens often)...It felt better put together to me, but lacks the exterior style of the Fusion. The Accord offers more power with similar efficency, a tighter interior (that's my opinion, not necessarily everyones), much better resale in the long run based on history for Fords, and a better warranty.

It's been said before, but: Different Strokes for Different Folks...

Personally, I wouldn't pay for a V-6 when the I-4s out now are more powerful than the V-6s of ten years ago, and offer better economy of the I-4s of that time, too. Like I said, this is only my perspective...your opinions may (and likely will) vary, and that's ok.
This discussion has been closed.