Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/03/honda-fit-accord-and-cr-v-spotted-on-chinese-- site/

just click on that. Look at the wheels area and where it bulges(Stratus). And like we had a discussion before i can't be a hypocrite and accuse of copying(because every car does from each other) , but why try to get ideas from a car like the ex stratus is beyond me. Maybe it is still the concept version shown but it does not look that great in my opinion(like someone said as well, looks like an overstretched civic(maybe a good thing or bad, doesn't have the grown up feel though if so).

all that being said about the exterior, i'm sure it will be like the current honda, and have a very nicely made engine, interior, quality, hopefully the brakes are good for once. However i know it will be expensive like the camry, and now with so many other viable cheaper alter(sonata, mazda6, new altima) that are just as comparable, it wont' sell like fruitcakes as previous.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Not gonna touch this - anyone else?
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Be careful, you seem to be trying to disagree with me, but I think we're 99.9% in agreement.

I wasn't talking about 4cyl engines, but you're right. the Honda 4 is a hella great engine. I have another modern day classic in my garage. A Toyota 22RE! It's 14 years old and runs flawlessly, and always has.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Here's my thought for each of the 3 pictures:

Fit: looks like Malibu's front end with current Fit's rear end glued together.

Accord: like a Civic on steroed (pretty sure I am not the only one thinking this way).

CR-V: I am pretty sure this one is photoshopped because it looks like an Acura RDX with a butt-ugly front end.

If these pictures are real then I'll have to ask: has Honda's designers gone mad??? :cry:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Careful what you take from these previews. If you'll read closely, it says the "Accord that is soon to be released in Japan"...this would be our Acura TSX, not the US Honda Accord. It is widely held info that the Sports4 concept (which looks like the picture you gave a link to) will be the Japan/Euro Accord and US Acura TSX.

Also,

I think you meant hotcakes, not fruitcakes. ;)

There are many competitors that cost less, but if they were just as good as Accord, they'd be able to sell at the price of an Accord. On the same logic, if the Accord wasn't any better than these competitors, it wouldn't have the pricetag that it does, because noone would buy it (which is about $25k for a loaded EX-V6 w/o Navi at the current market prices).
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    The Chinese Camry doesn't have the bulge-nose. Note the invisible seamless hood-line along the grill. Looks much sleeker and more integrated than the US model, more like a Passat. Take a look... takes a while to load:

www.guangzhoutoyota.com.cn
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Looks like the only difference is the exterior. Here are some pictures:

I've gotta say the black interior looks pretty good though.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Looks like the new Passat on the front, and I like this better than the "bumpy" nose of the US Camry.
    Makes me wonder why manufacturers fiddle with their cars to make them ugly for the US market. The previous model Japanese export Maxima (and domestic Cifero) were far better looking than the uglified US version. The Japanese and Asian-market Mitsubishi Galant have a streamlined hood and grill without that horrible bone in it's nose, making it a much more appealing car than the one Mitsubishi sells here. I think the Camry looks positively ugly with that snout, and the visible hood lines between the grill and hood.
    Talking about ugly cars, I found these Asian website pictures of what appear to be Dodges. Someone must have exhumed some Chrysler graveyards from the '50s. Makes the 300C look almost pretty by comparison.

Whatever you do, do NOT click on the Pontiac at the top of the page. ;)

http://picture.auto.sohu.com/@category_c53764_p1.html
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    The Honda inline 4-cylinder is a wonderful engine, as is the Toyota 22RE. However, there are a number of smooth and reliable inline-4's out there, but they generally don't get the publicity due to their relative small production numbers compared to the Japanese makes. This includes the SAAB-built 2.0L SOHC and DOHC Inline-4 used in the Classic 900 series. Smooth and very reliable, many with proper care go over 500K before any major maintenance. And, don't discount the older Volvo Inline-4 as well; it was so reliable that Volvo-Penta used it as a industrial and marine engine. It certainly wasn't a terribly smooth engine, but reliable was its forte. It had more sq. in. of main bearing area than a Chevy 350 cu.in. V8!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The front looks just like the Civic (nothing like a Stratus). I doubt very much the Accord will look anything like that picture anyway. The 08 Accord will sell (like HOTCAKES NOT FRUITCAKES) for what it is (quality), not what it looks like (whatever that may be).
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I heard a Toyota commercial on the radio today that made me chuckle and wonder. The commercial talked all about the revolutionary Toyota quality and reliability. Also how not to be mislead by other carmakers incentives and claims to quality/reliability. How the higher price paid for a Toyota is worth the value and its ok to pay higher prices for Toyota. I wonder, are consumers getting smarter? are sales stagnent at Toyota or not rising as fast as they would like? Is Hyundai getting to Toyota with the Sonata? Ford with the Fusion/Milan? GM with the G6/Impala? Mazda with the 6? Passat?
    Are the news stories on the internet starting to take thier toll about increased recalls? reliaiblity issues that have popped up on Tundra? and Camry? Avalon? This commercial almost sounded desperate. Desperate for people to follow blindly to Toyota and just believe.. :surprise:
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    are sales stagnent at Toyota or not rising as fast as they would like?

Doubtful....the Camry and Corolla are the top 2 in car sales in the U.S. right now. And the new, redesigned Rav4 is dwarfing prior sales numbers. I don't think Toyota is struggling at all.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Desperate for people to follow blindly to Toyota and just believe

Sounds like that's what you'd like to believe. Toyota can bank on their reputation, something every one of the others makers you listed can't, but would give their left one for.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Listening to commercials as if they were onsite news reports is slightly......naive.

A major purpose of a commercial is to generate traffic .. nothing else. Furniture stores have been 'going out of business for 40 yrs' 'Last chance' ( on this particular shipment of inventory ;) )

Retailing is based on getting the most foot traffic into a sales environment.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    Toyota can bank on their reputation

Isn't this what thousands of other top shelf companies do every day? Of course. And a reputation as strong as Toyota's doesn't happen with one or two good models and one or two good sales years. They've earned their top tier rep.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,052
    <with one or two good models and one or two good sales years.

...nor without some attitudinal help from the media folks through the years to mitigate problems which Toyota did (does) have like most companies with their cars. But when the media downplays the problems there and plays them up elsewhere for other companies, the public's opinion is affected. (Can you say "sludge, hesitations, etc.?) That's my opinion based on years of observation.
    Toyota absolutely earned their reputation for quality over 30 years. Hyundai also earned their reputation for junk over 20 years.

Suddenly the new Hyundais are top quality and nothing like the junk of the past, but it will take years to shake their bad reputation.

Paradoxically, suddenly the new Toyotas are inferior quality and really nothing like their high-quality forebearers, and it will take a few less years to shake their good reputation.

Having scratched below the surface of these new Toyotas and taken them apart just like I did the older Toyotas, I am convinced that the quality has been compromised.

Take a look at the engine mounts, suspension components and other components on the new Hyundais, and they have obviously been copied from the designs of the quality Toyotas of yore.

The press, however, does tend to side with the perceived winner of the day.

If Toyota doesn't pull it's socks up, what is happening to GM today will happen to Toyota tomorrow. The mighty shall fall again.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,052
    One problem with many cars is they cheapen the quality of certain parts as they go along because the public won't know the difference, they hope, and they decontent the car of certain options thinking the public won't notice. And most don't.
This discussion has been closed.