Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "3. Do you think the Mazda would be a durable? I plan to keep the car a long time."

According to the April issue of Consumer Reports, reliability for the Mazda6 has dropped to below average.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I was in your exact situation a year ago; owned a '03 Accord EX coupe, 4 cyl auto. It was my third Accord, bought the coupe because I didn't care for the sedan and wanted something sportier. Supposedly the coupe has a slightly stiffer suspension but I've never seen that verified. It was flawless at 31K when I traded it, except for a squeak and a rattle early on which I found & fixed myself. With gas prices climbing and a big SUV as a second vehicle, the Accord became the all-around vehicle and the coupe just became a hassle getting a teen and preteen in/out. I ended up buying a '04 6S auto for some of the same reasons you stated: coupe-like looks and very good handling. Paid the extra for the 5-door and not sorry I did- it is extremely handy. The handling is tighter and stiffer than the Accord, and with the V6 the power is much better,esp. with 4 passengers, but not really a valid comparison as the Accord was a 4. That Honda 4 is a very nice engine, however, and delivered consistent 28 city/33 hwy on regular. The 6S gets 21 city/25 hwy on reg. and has also been flawless at 19K miles. Overall, I like it better than the Accord, all around- but not by a whole lot. The Accord had a much better dash layout and higher grade interior materials; but I'm not excited about the rear-end re-design on the '06's, so if I were out shopping right now I'd still side with the 6. My last Accord, an '87, went 170K miles and still ran near-new. Not sure if the Mazda will have that level of durability but it probably has that potential with good care. Best of luck in your decision!
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Consumer Reports has been updated since April. I believe the only Mazda6 models with below average reliability are the V6 sedan and hatchback. Surprisingly, the wagon (available only with a V6) has "average" reliability.

- Greg
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    one other question i might ask you is whether you plan on going with the auto or manual. if manual is your answer, you may want to consider the 2006 4 banger mazda 6. although i have the manual v-6, i've heard that the 4 cylinder engine with a manual is pretty good while making the handling better due to less weight. if you want to go automatic, i would think the that both the accord and mazda would be a bit underpowered for my tastes. the 06 mazda had a few changes that are worth mentioning...the seat materials are much better and the new black dash also looks very nice and would be much less likely to show scratches.

i've owned two accords in the past and both were extremely reliable. but i think you're looking at the accord rather than the camry (the other reliability leader) b/c the accord handles better. if this is true, you will like the mazda. i've been a huge honda-holic for quite some time, so for me to buy a mazda says something. if there is a chance you'll have passengers in the back, four doors is much easier. also sit in the accord coupe and look to the blind spots behind you at the corners...it's hard to see.

in terms of reliability though, the honda does have a better trackrecord. my feeling though is that over the past 10 years, cars in general have become much more reliable (if you look at the difference between what is average and better than average in CU, the difference per 100 cars is minimal). I looked at it from the perspective of one car as having a 95% chance of being solid vs another that had an 88% chance. still really good odds either way. but these percentages can not reflect another factor; fun. drive them both. they both have pluses and minuses...but i think you'll like the steering and sense of control with the mazda. and when you walk up to your car, you can admire the sexy lines of the hatchback with a bit of pride.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    And if you like the 4-banger stick Mazda6, another alternative is the Fusion. It actually has a bit smoother ride but still very good handling and a smooth shifter, and the rear seat is roomier than the Mazda's. I recently saw the base Fusion for $14,995 at my local dealer, with ABS $595 more--I don't think you can get a '06 Mazda6 for that.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I thinke the Fusion/Milan will provide Ford a solid re-entry in the mid-size sedan game. If my 6 were to get totalled or stolen (always a possibility for a bright red one) I would seriously consider a Milan as a replacement, though I'd miss the hatchback.

Also, someone mentioned the Accord Coupe's rear blind spot- even worse is the A-pillar blind spot, the pillar is wide and has a long slope, blocks oncoming cars to the left on a curvy road. I often had to move my head about 8" to the right going around sharp turns, very unnerving.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    first stages of buying a famliy sedan in the spring time. I presently own an 01 Escape V6 XLT 4x4 that has been a great vehicle for us. I have narrowed my choices down to 3, not in any order..
    1. Fusion
    2. Jetta
    3. G6
    Why not Accord/Camry? I want something different. Something not everyone ownes.. just my $.02.. Cheers..
    Well, if you really want something not everyone owns... there's the Galant! :)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    IMO forget these and look at the Mazda 6. Great styling and handling. And the Ford engine in it apparently wouldn't bother you.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    anybody here driven both the fusion and the mazda 6? i understand the fusion was based on the 6 so they should drive pretty much the same except the added size and weight to the fusion may make body lean and acceleration worse. also, i think the engine is the same (v-6 w/ about 220 hp). i've heard that the fusion is selling well making the price less favorable, whereas there are still some amazing deals available on 05 mazda 6's (i've seen deals up to 8000 off msrp at some local dealers after rebates etc). now if it's the look of the fusion that you like...not a lot you can do.
    I've driven the 4-cylinder Mazda6 and Fusion--6 with automatic, Fusion with a stick. My overall impression was that the Mazda's suspension seemed a bit firmer than the Fusion's. The Fusion's ride seemed more damped to me, but still had pleasant, responsive handling. The Fusion seemed quieter also. The Fusion also has more leg room in the back seat. Overall I prefer the ride of the Fusion, but the exterior and interior styling of the 6.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    Scape2...
    Just a heads up about the G6. The only person I know that owns a G6 is currently fighting to get the lemon law declared for hers. She has had a whole new engine put into it and a multitude of other problems already....and she hasn't even had it for a year!
    And, just my opinion on the jetta...they are hidious!!!! I vomit in my mouth every time one drives by me. It pretty much looks like it was the end result of a car wreck involving every ugly non-german car available!
    Personally, I'm very impressed with the MZ6. However, my fiance has her heart set on a MZ3 GT-automatic, so the MZ6 is the runner-up in our decision.
    We also looked at Accords, but while they have somewhat of an upscale look now, they lack pizazz.
    Anyway, those are my thoughts.....just please take the G6 off your list!
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    The 6 is a great car in the V6 trim.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    1. Fusion - My impression of the interior was not positive. Too plasticy and boring during my showroom visit. The leather interior didn't quite work either. I didn't drive it though, so I'll reserve further judgement.

2. Jetta - Volkswagen's reliability problems? No thanks.

3. G6 - You stated that you wanted something different. We're talking plain vanilla GM here. Maybe they'll survive bankruptcy.

I'd reconsider your options from the Asian brands, even though all of those models are built in the United States by American workers. You can't beat their quality and reliability.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I currently own a Mazda 6. Here are my two cents. THe statistical differences between the quality of domestic cars and foreign cars is very close. Additioanlly, Ford's new line of cars i.e. 500 and Freestyle have been very reliable and carried high resale values. We should expect the same from the Fusion. Therefore the whole comment about "You can't beat their quality and reliability" is not necessarily true. The Fusion sounds like the perfect match for this guy, ALL BIASES aside.

I'd say look at a Mazda6 but I don't like what they have done with the design.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Additioanlly, Ford's new line of cars i.e. 500 and Freestyle have been very reliable and carried high resale values.

The Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle have not been out for a long time, so reliability is still unproven. So far, it seems Ford is improving. Also, their resale values are not considered high. Ford's value pricing (and fleet sales) really hurt their resale values. If you're going to say a car has a high resale value, Accord would fit in better.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    the Freestyle ranks average in FWD form and below average in AWD form. Not exactly "very reliable". Average reliability is probably a more accurate term than very reliable.
  • tmp888tmp888 Member Posts: 20
    "I'd reconsider your options from the Asian brands, even though all of those models are built in the United States by American workers. You can't beat their quality and reliability."

**At the end of the day where the profits of the foreign car maker go? Toyota last year made US$10+ billions (about half of it from US market). Honda and Nissan are not far behind in term of profit in US. Don't you wish that kind of money stay here in US.

"The Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle have not been out for a long time, so reliability is still unproven. So far, it seems Ford is improving. Also, their resale values are not considered high. Ford's value pricing (and fleet sales) really hurt their resale values. If you're going to say a car has a high resale value, Accord would fit in better
    ."

** you can not compare apples to oranges. Ford Five Hundred have just been around 2 years and Accord have been around what? 20+ years. Hypothetically, if Honda has just released a car named "HonCord" for 2 years, can you say the released car is very reliable?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    For an American car I'll take average!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Accords have been around since at least the 1974 model year. The first ones I saw were only hatchbacks and just a little bigger than the Civic at the time, an upscale Civic if you will. The early Accords were junk: rust,tranny,ride, etc. The ony thing Accords had going for them was MPG. A Dodge Dart was a better car except for the MPG! The Dart was more reliable!

But Honda and Toyota have come a long, long way in the last 30+ years. Hyundai has been doing the same for the last 5 years or so. It will be interesting to see how Hyundai, Toyota & Honda compare 5 years from now. Those "foolish" enough to buy Hyundai now may have big grins on their faces.
    Well actually, the Accord debuted in the U.S. for 1976, as a hatchback. The 4-door did come later. I recall that first 4-door was a sweet little car, for its price and for the time. For '81 there was even a SE version with leather and power package--almost unheard of for that time, in that class of car.
    Perhaps my memory fails on this. But I'm almost certain a client bought a '74 Accord (it was beige/gold exterior). I'd ask him but he moved to NV several years ago.

Anyway, it was a piece of junk. Honda started improving in the early '80's. By '84 or '85 there were waiting lists for the Accord with dealers charging above MSRP.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    "1976. It was our country's bicentennial, Jimmy Carter was elected president, "Rocky" was the big movie that year and Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci attained the first-ever perfect scores in Olympic gymnastics. Oh, and Honda introduced the Accord."

Honda Accord: Generations

Maye your neighbor had a 74 Civic? It was introduced in 73.

Honda Civic: Generations
    Thanks Pat & backy for the correction on the model year introduction.

One more thing to add to significant events of 1976...my municipal golf course opened for its first season. :)
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    first stages of buying a famliy sedan in the spring time. I presently own an 01 Escape V6 XLT 4x4 that has been a great vehicle for us. I have narrowed my choices down to 3, not in any order..
    1. Fusion
    2. Jetta
    3. G6
    Why not Accord/Camry? I want something different. Something not everyone ownes.. just my $.02.. Cheers..

Were there test drives done on these three vehicles? Personally, I'd choose the G6 out of thosse choices. Bland for Pontiac standards or not, I think it looks pretty sharp personally. And since we are not talking about reliability pace-setters here, I'd go with looks, engine, and seat comfort-cabin ergonomics.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    LOL! Hope it was/is a smashing success! ;)
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Check the February 2006 Car and Driver Magazine for a comparison test that includes 2 of your 3 choices.
    The Jetta came out on top.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Check the December issue of Car and Driver. Compared Accord, Camry, Sonata, and Fusion. The top rated was the Accord, #2 was the Fusion, then the Sonata, and at the bottom was the Camry. The Accord they used was at least $4K more than the Fusion. I've looked at the Mercury Milan, which is the twin of the Fusion, beautiful car. Was loaded. Had Leather, Heated front seats, all audio and climate control steering wheel mounted, automatic climate control, Audiophile stereo system, Moonroof, etc. All for $25,000. I would definitely check it out. I have a 2003 Sonata which I plan to replace in 2 years. Thought I would without doubt replace it with another Sonata since it has been a great car. Now I'm chomping at the bit for the Milan. Don't know if I can hold out for two years.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • gamefacegameface Member Posts: 9
    Consumer Reports is a BOGUS survey. True they get a lot of
    publicity but their survey is not random and they do not
    survey an equal number of each car model.

The key point is that they only survey their subscribers. A person who is willing to pay for a subscription has probably had experiences that agree with their previous opinions; so their opinions are self perpetuating.

A better, independent survey is in the auto section of msn.com. The survey is done by a company that surveys
    repair shops in the US.
    A person who is willing to pay for a subscription has probably had experiences that agree with their previous opinions; so their opinions are self perpetuating.

It is true that CR surveys only subscribers, but almost the entire survey is not about opinions, but about problems that owners have had with cars. So I don't see how the survey can be "self perpetuating". Also, CR doesn't include the survey results if they don't get enough samples for a particular model.

As a counter-example to your argument, CR used to think Korean cars were pretty awful (and they were). But as these cars have improved, so have the survey results, and CR's test results as well, so now they recommend several Korean vehicles. They won't recommend the '06 Sonata until it establishes at least an "average" reliability record in their survey, and does well on the NHTSA (yes) and IIHS (unknown) crash tests.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    on Motorweek they reviewed the Ford Fusion SEL V6. I am not too keen on auto reviewers.. But they gave rave reviews on the Fusion. Claimed Ford is coming to the table with a car that can compete with the Accord/Camry.. I guess only time will tell..
    Honda has more to lose than Toyota. If the Fusion/Milan/Zeph do take off, and the buying public approves.. Ford has the capacity to increase production to meet demand. Honda does not. Toyota on the other hand does have $$$ to increase Camry production..
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    C'mon - has there ever been a car or truck Motorweek's sterling staffers haven't glossed and gushed over? Even when John Davis alludes to a chink (always in passing), he does so amonst so many extraneous, flowery superlatives it's difficult to catch the negative reference. Whoever writes the text of Motorweek's reviews ought to be working for an advertising agency. (Hmmm, maybe Motorweek is their part-time job?)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    has there ever been a car or truck Motorweek's sterling staffers haven't glossed and gushed over?

I agree. Most times I tune into Motorweek for its visuals only to get an idea of the dynamics and features of the car but both Car and Driver and especially Testdrive on Speed are better on this score.

My favorite TV auto programs are Autoline and RPM. Autoline, hosted by John McEnroy, is a very low budget studio production that is blessed by being in Detroit where lots of auto experts (journalists, researchers and industry reps) still reside. The last few episodes summarized the best of 05 and gave a reality check to all the glossing and gushing of marketing types. A strange undercurrent to this show is its visceral fear of China; no doubt this is due in part to the current difficulties of GM and Ford. RPM is a Quebec-based one hour show that has the most rigorous testing I have ever seen: the producers not only inspect the engine, the tires, the brakes, the suspension, the interior but also the underside of the car! In Canada and (likely northern USA) the underside is the Achilles heel for the long-term use of a vehicle. RPM also has the most interesting visuals; the 0 to 60 mph sprint, the avoidance test, the slalom all illustrate the vehicles handling ability. In a recent test of the Mazda5 and the Pontiac Vibe it was interesting to find that both vehicles need improved braking power and that the suspension of the Vibe is significantly challenged in slaloms (think of passing on the highway) and is prone to diving in abrupt stops or obstacle avoidance.

A new year's wish to Motorweek, Car and Driver and other autoTV producers: study Autoline and RPM to get ideas to improve your own.

p.s. if one could choose a favorite navigator, Antoinette Crosby from Motorweek would top my list! ;)
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Engine:
    2.4 litre DOHC VVT-i, ULEV II, hood strut
    158hp, 161lb-ft

3.5 litre V6 DOHC VVT-i (doesn't say dual), Variable Induction System, ULEV II, hood strut
    268hp, 248lb-ft

VSC standard on SE V6 and XLE V6, optional on LE V6

5M on SE, opt. 5A. 5A standard on LE
    6MM standard on all V6 models(that means 6 speed auto with sequential shift)
    ABS, EBD, BA and 4-wheel disc brakes are standard.
    P215/60R16 on LE/XLE models
    P215/55R17 on SE models

FE:
    V6 city/hwy L/100km (Imp. mpg)
    10.7/7.0 (26/40)

4 cylinder auto
    9.8/6.5 (29/43)

4 cylinder manual
    9.6/6.4 (29/44)

Key standard features on all models:
    Dual front knee airbags, side airbags, side curtain airbags, dual front airbags, engine immobiliser, auto headlights, CD/MP3/WMA, AUX Input, 6 speakers, steering wheel mounted audio controls (JBL with 8 speakers, 6-CD Changer, Bluetooth connectivity and diversity antenna on XLE V6), tilt/tele steering wheel.

Standard extras on XLE V6:
    Dual-Zone auto climate control, plasma cluster, power heated front seats, rear sunshade, smart key system, push button start, bluetooth, auto dimming mirror w/compass, foglights, and reclining rear seats

Standard extras on SE models:
    Front sport seats, sport design scuff plates, aluminium sport pedals, 17" alloys, sport style grille, side skirts, rear spoiler, chrome tail pipe, foglights

LE Pkg "B" - Alloys, wheel locks, auto dimming mirror w/compass, mudguards, power driver's seat, dual illuminated vanity mirrors
    LE Pkg "C" - B + Power moonroof, integrated garage door opener

SE Pkg "B" - power passenger seat, leather seat surfaces, heated front seats, power moonroof, Homelink, dual illuminated vanity mirrors, auto dimming mirror w/compass

LE V6 Pkg "B" - VSC, auto dimming mirror w/compass, dual illuminated vanity mirrors, power moonroof, Homelink

SE V6 Pkg "B" -JBL Audio, 6-CD Changer, power passenger seat, leather seat surfaces, heated front seats, power moonroof, theft-deterrent system

Colours (as per chart) are as follows

Alpine White, Titanium Silver, Magnetic Grey Metallic, Black, Barcelona Red Metallic, Frosted Mink Pearl, Aloe Green Metallic, Blue Ribbon Metallic

Credit: Magneto112
    ---------------------------------------

So... all airbags standard and push button on XLE. But it looks like power driver seat is no longer standard on the LE 4 cylinder, which would have been nice.

The Avalon is 26/39 Canadian and 22/31 in the US, so it looks like the 2007 V6 Camry will be 22/31 or 22/32 in the US.

Fuel economy for the 2006 Camry 4 cylinder is 28/44 Canadian and 24/34 US, so that would mean the 2007 Camry 4 cylinder auto will be 24/33 in the US.

So... nothing really special about the bread and butter LE 4 cyl. in terms of power, mpg, and features compared to the competition (except the knee airbags), while the V6 XLE is sounding more and more like a Lexus.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Any news on weight? I could have sworn Toyota was supposed to change to Dual VVTi on the 4 cylinder, I wonder why this has not happened? Im guessing it might be an MMC change, perhaps when the Accord is redesigned? Overall, Im not impressed by the status quo positioning of the 4 cylinder's power and economy, though Im hopeful for the 5 speed auto (coupled with the 4), which is supposed to be "all new".

I was originally very concerned about the power from the 4 cylinder, but reading the RAV4 thread has allayed my fears somewhat. Most people are generally positive about the performance-comments such as "The power is certainly acceptable from the 4-banger (my last car was an Infiniti G35 6-sp)." This vehicle is also handicapped by a lower-tech 4 speed transmission, and weighs 3510 lbs in AWD/4cyl form).

I'm surprised that the XLE V6 will contine to wear 16 inch tires, and wonder if this will change for the US. Happy that the 4s now use 16 inchers with wider treads, along with the increased track and revised suspension, my expectations are high for significantly improved handling.

I'm sure packages will be different for the US as well, as you guys dont even get an XLE 4, correct? Should be interesting this time next week....

~alpha
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    interesting that they will be offering (even if not actually producing :blush: ) a manual version for Canada. Wonder if they will change their mind and offer it in the US, or even get real radical and offer an SE V6 6 speed stick, to compete with the Accord?

Actually, I don't think they offer that engine/trans combo in anything else, so it would have to be certified, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lexuslover0329lexuslover0329 Member Posts: 7
    The fact that ford thinks that the mexican mad fusion can compete is a joke. The fords not only can't match up in warranty, but features as well as price and quality. ford has like chevy been in a steady down fall the past couple of years due to the fact that the quality of there vehicles has gone through a steady decline. If ford has such a good product why are they so afraid to put a real warranty on there vehicles. i never thought i would see the day when a hyundai had a better resale value than a ford but it has happened and its all fords fault. There serious lack of commitment to the american market is almost depressing. I mean come on they don't even build half there vehicles in america.
  • bokonon1bokonon1 Member Posts: 10
    lexuslover0329, come on. Seriously. Have you actually driven the Fusion?

If you haven't done this, then you should. It may cause you to change your talking points about Ford having a "serious lack of commitment to the american market" and producing lame, badly-assembled cars.

I test drove a Fusion SEL last night, and you can't possibly be describing the same car that I drove. It was extremely well built. The assembly quality was high. The interior was notably better than the Hyundai Sonata's. I liked the way it performed better as well.

-- Bokonon
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    The interior was notably better than the Hyundai Sonata's. I liked the way it performed better as well.
    I drove & compared the Fusion along w/ other comparable autos and found the Fusion to be a nice package, but IMO, the Sonata had better fit & finish to the interior pieces, and the knobs, buttons etc. had a more substantial feel to them. It was also a bit quieter and seemed to have better acceleration (the V6) than the Fusion.
    anyone read the Febuary issue for C&D? The MazdaSpeed6, Acura TSX, Volkswagen Jetta GLI, Honda Accord EX-V6 6-Speed and Pontiac G6 GTP were in it. What I found most interesting is how the EX-V6 beat the MazdaSpeed6. The Accord came 2nd, and the speed6 came 4th.

The Accord is constantly "bland", "vanilla" etc. But the Accord managed to beat the TSX, Speed6 and G6.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    really interested me, since 2 weeks back I bought an Accord, and was seriously considering the TSX and Jetta (2.0t, not the GLI though). I was curious about the mazda, but doubt it would have ever gotten into the running.

Only difference is that I got the 4 cyl/5 speed model, instead of the 6/6. Otherwise, effectively the same car, and the comments really could apply (other than the fact that I spent about 6K less on it!). Yeah, the 4 cyl isn't as fast, but it is still pretty quick with the stick, especially for the 95% of the time that I wouldn't be able to get near the extra power of the V6.

For a few hunded $$, I could upgrade the suspension to the slightly stiffer sport set up (or beyond), although the car as is handles nicely, and benefits from the lower weight up front.

I did like the interior and seats of the TSX, but really didn't like the buzzy nature due to the shorter gearing. Plus, the extra few features over the Accord didn't really justify the cost differential.

I did really like driving the Jetta (it does have sharper handling than the Accord), but just couldn't bring myself to get into bed with a VW for a long term relationship.

So, the Accord won overall, even though it isn't the "sportiest" of the choices, it still holds it's own. Plus, it has the "bones" to really be a handler with a few upgrades (pun intended). And the interior layout, features and comfort is hard to beat.

That, and as noted above, it might not be flashy, but it gets the job done surprisingly well.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

So, the Accord won overall, even though it isn't the "sportiest" of the choices, it still holds it's own. Plus, it has the "bones" to really be a handler with a few upgrades (pun intended). And the interior layout, features and comfort is hard to beat.

Well put.

The Accord may not be the sportiest sedan out there, or the most comfortable. But it manages to combine both worlds together.

The Accord had impressive numbers on the tests. Second fastest sedan, Speed6 was faster. *But the Accord was actually faster than the Speed6 in the 5-60 test.
    Why do people like you write these things? I don't even think you should have been allowed to post it since it has nothing to do with the subject of midsize cars.

Question Lexuslover. Does Lexus have a 10 year warranty? So your own company can't measure up to Hyundai's warranty as well right? Try not throwing stones from that large glass house.

And why is the Fusion a joke when it took second place in a comparison test and every reviewer has said that it is finally competition for the foreign midsizers. Statistically how different is the Fusion from the Hyundai quality wise, since Hyundai and Ford aren't that far from each other in the first place in initial quality on a per car basis.

And to keep it straight, Ford still builds most of its vehicles here in the states. It also does the far majority of the design, marketing, and engineering in the states (you know, the most expensive part of the car making process). The Fusion and the Sonata are too new to determine how resale values will pab out. The Sonata has had $3K on the hood already so we'll see where the pieces fall.

And by the way, the Fusion is built in Mexico because the UAW janitors make upwards to 50 bucks an hour. You do the math.
    I bought the Mazda6 over the Accord, non-Mazdaspeed model. There is no comparison. The comparo definitely says that the Speed6 was the all out performance sedan in the comparo. I think the comparo is a little skewed but that is just me.

They faulted the 6 for not having a sunroof, which Mazda thought of but didn't do to gain much important structural rigidity and than praised it for the rigidity. Then they fault the interior for not having leather, even though thaey only tested the sport model and not the GT version which has the leather standard. In comparison, they added options to the Accord. And additionally the Mazda wasn't the most expensive model (I think it was third on the list), which means they could have gone GT and still been price competitive. I don't feel it was fair for C&D to add options to the Accord and fault the Mazda when they could have doen the same. I remember a guy saying that in Car and Driver a Honda could win, even if it wasn't one of the cars in the comparison. Edmunds all out car comparo a while back put the Accord first and the Mazda6 s second and said the Mazda was the only one "that you'd find an excuse to drive". Now C&D comes in with this nonsense. The Speed6 owned the entire track save for one comparison the 5-60 run. It was a sports sedan comparison, with the Mazda having 274 hp and AWD, but somehow Honda triumphed. It is almost like playing against the dealer at the casino.

Interestingly, the Accord is in there but not the Legacy GT. Now wouldn't that make more sense. I'll give you that the Legacy is a better car than the Mazda all day long. But the comparison was definitely a little skewed.
    Accord: $29,850
    Mazdaspeed6: $28,555
    What was the most expensive? The MazdaSpeed6 GT is $30,485.
    So instead of being $1,295 a part, they would be $635. Sounds good to me.

Additionally, on Mazda's website it has leather as standard. I only read the magazine quickly in CVS, but I was sure they faulted it for not having leather. May have been a preproduction model or something.

The Legacy, according to the Subie website is $29,420 with destination. Why don't they just go ahead and compare an Accord to a E55 AMG and give it the crown as well. :) The Mazda won in a startling ELEVEN objective categories and still didn't win in a sports car comparo.
    The Acura TSX was the most expensive.

I was surprised that the Mazdaspeed6 came 4th in the comparison. It does deserve a higher placement.

The Legacy came 3rd in the last comparison it was included in, and has not been changed since then. I wouldn't be surprised if thats their reason of not including the Legacy.

Why don't they just go ahead and compare an Accord to a E55 AMG and give it the crown as well.

Are you just saying that because you disagree with the comparison? :P
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Interestingly, the Accord is in there but not the Legacy GT. Now wouldn't that make more sense. I'll give you that the Legacy is a better car than the Mazda all day long. But the comparison was definitely a little skewed.

I just received my Feb. MT yesterday and IIRC the MAZDASPEED6 is compared to the Legacy GT. The 6 came in second to the GT but the summary stated something like "it is the best here but not better." Whatever that means. The Legacy was given points for being a better daily driver. I didn't read it yet but I'm guessing by those captions under the rankings that this wasn't an all-out performance comparo but rather a which one is more family friendly.

I haven't seen the C&D comparo but I've read the same issues about the SPEED6 being knocked for no leather, moonroof, and other creature comforts. ORDER IT THAT WAY THEN C&D!!!!!!

There is no way the Accord is the better car in that comparo. Even the base Mazda6 is much more pleasureable to drive than the Accord IMO. Someone needs to write C&D a letter about that poor comparo and send one to MT for naming the Civic COTY too. Edmunds just did a comparo between the so called COTY and the Mazda3. Guess which one trounced the other. :mad:
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I thought the C/D comparo was fair and balanced with respect to the Mazdaspeed6.

At the price, the Mazda lacked features the others had, thats a fair contention. The only option on the Accord was the NAV; even with this and many other features over the Mazda, it cost $1000 more (for leather, moonroof, power front seats, NAV). Thats quite significant.

It was stated in the article that former entrants were left out had they not changed significantly. So, the Legacy GT-L was not invited. (One can deduce the Spec-B was left out because of the 30K price cap).

In the M/T comparison, it was the Spec-B which was compared. I found it interesting that M/T though this, the ultimate Legacy more civilized and less high strung than the MZSpeed6, though I have not driven either.

The Mazda was clearly the better speed tool in the C/D comparison, but that doesnt make it the best vehicle.

~alpha
  • lexuslover0329lexuslover0329 Member Posts: 7
    I don't know there is something about always being rated as the best car that lexus doesn't need that long of a warranty. I believe for a couple years running lexus has had the best customer satisfaction as well and the best initial quality, and best customer retention rate out of any auto manufactures out there right now. The fusion was rated by some to maybe be able to finally pull ford out of there slump, but it still remains to be seen. I would also like to add lexus still has a better warranty than 3yr 36,000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.