Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• Just curious... how recent and from where is your info?

As of a month ago, my Mazda regional rep told me that the slightly refreshened 2006 Mazda6 will be an eighteen month product run. During this time the 2007 will be in final development and eventually retooling stages. It is true that the 2007 Mazda6 will be slightly larger than the current Nissan Altima. It will still stand apart from the other boring ho-hum sedans due to the ZOOM ZOOM factor.

Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering... all adds up to make the next generation 2007 Mazda6 an even better player in the field.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering... all adds up to make the next generation 2007 Mazda6 an even better player in the field.

Vanilla seems to be the best flavor in the mid-size segment.
  • truethattruethat Posts: 123
    the more I like the new Optima.
    I've been looking at it again and again throughout the day, and I like it better
    each time. Does anybody know when the launch date is in the US?
    LA Times, Dan Neil Read
    It's a review of Sonata, to make myself clear.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering...

Hmm... sounds a lot like my '04 Elantra GT. It also sounds like a sales pitch. :)
    Funny review...
    I like how he parked the Sonata beside the Accords :P
    Can we add Kia Optima to the list on top?
    It clearly qualifies as an import and it's clearly a midsize sedan.
    If Hyundai Sonata qualifies for this board, Kia Optima should too.
    Heck, they are basically same cars. :P
    e-mail the host? (pat) :confuse:

I'm starting to like it to... any interior shots? :)
    Another fine mid-sized imported sedan. But I think there's a limit of six...
    imageimage
    It seems quite possible that Edmund's got a wrong spy photo for '06 Elantra.
    The spy pic looks so similar to the photo released for '06 Optima.
    I did hear somewhere that the two shared platforms (which I don't think is true),
    but even so, they just look identical!
    Yes, there's been discussion for awhile that Edmunds (and many others) goofed on this one. Some supposed pics of the '07 Elantra are only now surfacing.
    Nope... although I just can't imagine a well-designed interior in this car.
    Even Sonata is somewhat lacking in that department.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Than the Sonata. That's the only REAL issue I have with the Sonata, I think the interior is lacking in style.

Hopefully Hyundai got it right in the Optima. My aunt works for a Kia Dealership in Spartanburg, SC. I'm gonna get ya'll all the information I can on this vehicle. I bet she doesn't even know it exists yet.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out.

And also, I LOVE the way it looks. It looks like a Sonata with added style. I'm feeling it.
  • johnson5johnson5 Posts: 34
    When the gas prices reach $3.00 and above for unleaded regular, many people forget about horsepower, style, import or domestic and starts looking at mileage.
    Many people at my work place already sold and some are seriously considering selling their trucks, Suvs and thinking about purchasing a car with good gas mileage.( even station wagons)The middle class Americans who live from pay check to pay check, got children in the college are the majority.
    Looks that these compact /midsize cars which give good gas mileage ,reliability and cheaper to buy and maintain will sell in much larger numbers.
  • There are a lot of Atlima enthusiasts out there, MaxMillion , being one. My question is do you listen to AM or FM on the radio and if so how do you live with the poor reception.

I am really suprised that the Nissan as well an Infiniti can still get away with putting such a poor radio in thier cars. It might be the Antenna combination, becuase they seem to play XM and CDs okay.

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- What is all the influx of Hyundais and Kias?? Next you will be seing Suzikis and Aeros :cry: Is cheap people's main criteria ?
  • They are blatantly ripping off the design of other sedans. And it's not just one styling element. If I were Infiniti I would be outraged that they made a Kia of all cars almost an identical twin to their flagship, the Q45.

Kia and Hyundai will never be the premier auto brands until they learn how to design their own cars and stop ripping off other manufacturer's designs.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    ...And the Altima, Ford 500 and Accord were all derived from the Passat B5.5 design.
    The only original mainstream sedan design recently has been the Chrysler 300.
    Accord were all derived from the Passat B5.5 design.

ummm no... Accord copied some old car i dont remember :P
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Optimas are usually a bit cheaper than Sonatas right? It could be a great bargain in this class. The V6 engines quite weak though.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    The only original mainstream sedan design recently has been the Chrysler 300.

Hmm, and I thought Chrysler had resurrected a retro-Mercedes model. ;)

Suing for theft of design would cripple most of the auto industry. Any day now, I anticipate seeing a Korean clone of the Beetle.
  • Make a car that looks like a Saleen 7, Modena 360 or a 911 I might consider one
    A few weeks ago you were wondering why they didn't have Mazda 6 and 3 on sales charts.
    They updated the site and now the have Mazda 6 and 3 sales.
    http://www.automobear.com/index_home_content.html
    Mazda 6 : Under Mainstream
    Mazda 3 : Under Entry-Level
  • I don't think the Accord looks like a Passat in any way. Do you?
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    The Chrysler 300 may be retro, but it still stands out in the context of today's me-too sedans.

Yes, I think the current Accord was influenced by the Passat. Remember the B5 Passat was designed in 1997 when the Accords were very boxy. The profile (side view) of the Accord is too much like the Passat to be a coincidence, and I did read that the Accord designers used the Passat as a benchmark for the current generation.
    The profile (side view) of the Accord is too much like the Passat to be a coincidence, and I did read that the Accord designers used the Passat as a benchmark for the current generation.
    Where did you read that?
    Sources?
    I've never read an article that said that.
    Absolutely STINKS in the Altima I drive.

Its been a problem from the get-go and Nissan refuses to do anything about it. AM stations and CDs work GREAT, but the FM reception is awful. I'm not really worried about it because tomorrow, I'm having XM installed in my Altima.

Hopefully Nissan will do something about the poor reception with the redesign. Reception problems have been an issue since the 2002 Altima it the lots.
    ...for maybe being equal to or better than the current Passat's interior.

But the current Accord and B5 or B5.5 Passat look nothing alike IMO.
    But styling is subjective.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    I'm looking at the September issue of Motor Trend magazine (page 22) as we speak, and it mentions a statement by Mazdas new global head of sales and marketing that says to the effect that future US Mazda 6s will be bigger and more luxury-oriented. He also says that it was a mistake to market the 6 as a sports car instead of a sedan.

Looks like Mazda marketing is sticking more of their noses in the auto design end - Ugh!!!
  • jojo6jojo6 Posts: 20
    OK, I did the test drive on an 06 Sonata , and it was OK, but I thought the interior, especially, was about as dull as you can get. I keep getting drawn back to the looks of the 05! Just love those Jaguar-like curves with those MB headlights thrown on. Now, the problem is, with the new 05s almost history, I'm starting to see some pretty good deals out there. I know all the specs, ie underpowered V6, only 27 mpg, no ABS, stability control, curtain bags etc. However, if I can come in at 3K under an 06, and maybe 7K below some comparable sedans, that would make up for a lot of extra gas! Am I the only one with the hots for the looks of the 05?
This discussion has been closed.