Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Actually, holding the clutch pedal in is hard on the clutch release (throw out) bearing. The clutch is disengaged at this point.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    You do know the Mustang has a very stiff clutch.

I'll take the Mustang's clutch in rush hour traffic any day over that of a Mazda6. Wait a minute, I already do! :P

Seriously though, the Mustang's clutch is stiffer than that of our old Civic or ZX2 but it's not as stiff as the Mazda6 V6 I had either. The clutch in the Mustang has a lot more feel and is much more accurate than the one in the 6 too. I would be the 6 has the stiffest clutch out of any car compared in this thread too.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    design, if you define it as was you like to look at certainly is - egronomics as well as fit/finish (the quality and match of the plastics, switchgear, the rough edges etc.) are not subjective IMO - something that the Accord,in particular, continues to head the class.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Enjoy! ;-) Many folks don't believe me when I tell them that one of my favorite desinations in the world is Taipei. Geez, the first time I went there I gained like ten pounds in just a week. Needless to say, I LOVE the food there. ;-)

Back in 2003 I was there twice while I had a badly broken leg and was non-weight bearing on crutches. I've gotta tell ya, Taipei ain't crutch friendly. :sick:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    not that many years ago traveled S. Korea sometimes for lengthy stays. Loved it, a place where an American passport meant something, and given that these were working visits learned to appreciate a work ethic and a sense of patriotism that is almost impossible to find in this country. Maybe this would be why, that Hyundai can do what it is doing.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    review for the Fusion.

http://cars.ign.com/articles/760/760710p1.html

The only point I am trying to make here is the Fusion/Milan can and do compete in the mid-size sedan dog eat dog markets.. :shades:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Korea yet (almost did during a contract with a garment company a couple of years back, wound up in HK instead).

I know what you mean about the work ethic, the Taiwanese have it too. WOW.

My first trip to Taiwan was shortly after the 11-Sep-2001 WTC incident, and it was amazing just how popular Americans were over then at the time. Geez, I almost didn't want to come home. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yahoo!! Great job Ford!! no more can the Fusion be bashed for a 4star crashtest ratings. Now its time to educate the public and spread the word. And I'm first in line to do this! I am keeping this link and posting it around the net. Thank-you Kirby so very much.. :)

Here is is again folks for those that missed it.. Fusion/Milan now have good crash scores..

http://media.ford.com/products/press_article_display.cfm?article_id=25367&vehicl- e_id=1369&make_id=trust&CFID=7077254&CFTOKEN=1b31e5b692eaa913-87FACA1A-1185-6933- -5D5229830C252DE6&jsessionid=58308ab1b648$F0$E9D$
    would rather spend time in the far east than anywhere else in the world - other than the good ole USA!
    Japan, Korea and Malaysia.. I love the USA!! ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The only point I am trying to make here is the Fusion/Milan can and do compete in the mid-size sedan dog eat dog markets..

How many times do you have to say this, before you believe it?

Sure, the Fusion/Milan compete in this segment. Do they have any chance of winning a comparison test (that's not paid for by Ford)? NO!
    Yahoo!! Great job Ford!!
    don't know about you Ford guys, yahoo, yippee? For something that should've/could've been done 3 years ago? What happens when the car gets a VSC option (if you are into safety stuff), or possibly even some real engines? THAT might be cause for the earth to reverse rotation!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Too bad you bought a Fusion before they became safer huh?
    this is childish, but I'm glad your are happy.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Cars, please... ;)
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    First of all, kudos to Ford Fusion/Milan on the good scores earned from IIHS - front, side (save the rear score and save MKZ's side and rear). Third time is the charm, as they say :-) (This is the 3rd test, from the 06 to the 07 model).

Question, correct me if I am mistaken but did IIHS only tested Ford vehicles? Don't they usually test a group of vehicles in the same class? Maybe this was an exception ;)
  • Style wise the Fusion is fresh, as it is but two years of age, the butt is a bit high and the tail lights trim is a little strange.

I have to say that I have a visceral negative reaction to the silver trim around the Fusion tail lights. I don't know why I find it to be so disturbing, but I do. It totally ruins an otherwise fairly attractive car.
  • Thanks for the reply on tires, it's helpful. I was planning on replacing my OE 215/50-17s with the same sizing in the Kumho ECSTA SPT. So are you saying that if I went from 215/50-17 to a wider tire at plus 0 it wouldn't necessarily increase road noise (depending on the tire) but would improve handling? From the survey results on TireRack.com the Kumhos have much better ratings in road noise AND handling than the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I hadn't been considering a 225 width before, but I will now!
  • The Accord already has good/good IIHS ratings from 2004. Ford is about 3 years late to get into the game, but looks like they're finally catching up! ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Who ever disputed that point that you have to keep saying it? Of course it can compete - its a competent midsize car...

I'm not sure that was your REAL point...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Maybe the IIHS felt sorry for Bill and the gang; the news hasn't been great at Ford lately. That could explain why they tested the Fusion/Milan for the 3rd time when they haven't tested many 2006/7 models at all. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    i would check the revolutions per mile on tires you are looking at. tires of the same 'size' can be very different as actually constructed. view the sizes as 'guidelines'. no, i'm not a pirate of the caribbean. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    it's just one of those things we all have to deal with at times. this is supposed to be about some car or other, but where do you draw the line? it is tough to just let things pass at times, even though they are obviously inflammatory.
    hopefully, everyone is enjoying their mid sized sedans. ;)
    "Yes, apparently the new joint effort Ford/GM 6-speed isn't that great"

I don't understand here??? Please link me to where you are seeing the problems with the 6speed transmission in the Fusion/Milan?? :confuse: I searched and searched the web and cannot find any problems? My 6 speed has been fine. Gets me 33MPG doing 75! Better than advertised..
    Thanks for the link
    "Wow - the 'face the music' comeback.

You're probably the only one on the planet that thinks the Fusion outclasses an Accord.

Whatever.

Check out the new Altima's interior. Its pushing Accord quality. Leaves the Fusion looking very old.

Once again, I have never said "out classess", you did.. I will say competes very well however.. Nice how you take a car that is new and compare it to one that is now going on 2 years old... Frankly, I don't see the big hoopla about Accord interior quality.. I feel much of it is beaten into your head by the media and by past reputation. I did not feel the Accords interior was worth the extra $3,000.. And after owning my Fusion SEL V6 for almost a year.. My interior has no rattles or squeaks.. unlike my 2000 Accord!! ;)
    "Maybe the IIHS felt sorry for Bill and the gang; the news hasn't been great at Ford lately. That could explain why they tested the Fusion/Milan for the 3rd time when they haven't tested many 2006/7 models at all. "

With comments like these you wonder why I post like I do? Plain and simple the test by the IIHS is Good for the Fusion/Milan. No longer is this an issue. Comments like these are why I say image is what Ford needs to overcome. They build great vehicles. ;)
    "The Accord already has good/good IIHS ratings from 2004. Ford is about 3 years late to get into the game, but looks like they're finally catching up! "

Once again wrong Honda propaganda.. The Taurus/Sable made Good/Good... quit spreading incorrect information.. :mad:
    "Sure, the Fusion/Milan compete in this segment. Do they have any chance of winning a comparison test (that's not paid for by Ford)? NO! "

And again, spreading wrong information.. Yes, the Car and Driver segment was sponsered by Ford. Were the 600 people paid by Ford, NO!!. It says these people were not Ford employees, every day Joes like you and I. Now, get off the Ford buying people kick. It says it right in the segment also.. The Fusion chosen was comparible in price to the Camry/Accord. Some say the Fusion was AWD and its not fair. So I guess its unfair the Camry/Accord come with stability control?? Please.. face the music. A Ford won in this comparison. ;)
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    thanks for sharing...i've been wondering what a cvt would feel like.
    find out what Ford did to the Fusion in 1 year to have it rate better in the IIHS crash test ratings. Anyone knowing please link me or let me know. I am very curious.
    In the mean time I am searching the net for answers.. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.