Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Right, my point being that its NOT REAL SAFE (your own words). Also, that you have one friend who did it once.... doesnt really represent a significant slice of the market.....

Max- I may be wrong, but I can only recall that the Altima saw heavy incentives (meaning the $1500 rebate currently available in the NE region) as the 2004s were being cleared off the lots. The 2005s originally didnt carry the rebate (logically), but after about 3 months, they picked up with the rebates of the 2004s that were being cleared (and presumably were).

Also, I must say that I highly doubt the next gen Altima is going to debut around the same time as the new Camry (ETA: Mar 06). I recall reading that the Sentra was going to debut around that time, with the Altima redesign subsequent to that. Again, I may be incorrect, but Nissans been cranking out vehicles over the last few years and Id be shocked if they had the resources to launch a new Altima in just 8 months from now. (Or maybe they will and it will have all the quality control of the Quest and Armada when they were first introduced......)

Nothing is impossible, I suppose.

Also, it is interesting to note that only GM, Honda, and Toyota are beginning to publish "SAE certified" horsepower and torque ratings. I'd be interested to see what the 2.5L (as well as the many variants of the VQ) produces under the new calculation..................

~alpha
  • truethattruethat Posts: 123
    No purchase to report.
    I looked at 4 different dealers in RI and MA. They all are slow to catch up with
    the price-cutting trend. Some of them still had considerable numbers of 04
    Sonatas to get rid of. Not too eager to make a sell. Especially the LX for some
    reason. A lot of GLs are near or at invoice price though. Kinda strange I thought.
    I'm going to give it another month or so.
    Yea, hes such a huge Honda/Acura fan that he bought an Altima. Screams blind brand loyalty to me, LOL.

And why would he care to compare a TL-S (which hasnt been made since the '03 model year) to a $40K '06 Passat?

Just curious.. have you driven the new Passat?

~alpha
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    i have driven the 05 passat which my uncle has, and its a truly nice car. I liked it better than the TL even the current generation.

So my guess is the 06 will be a stunner.

its called educated guess

and lastly if u haven't noticed, maxamillion has always backed up honda, even as a owner of the altima i got a gut feeling he should have picked the accord haha no offense maxa
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    It's too bad the next generation Altima will be an evolution of the current design, and not something entirely new. The current design was basically derived from the last generation Passat (2001.5-2005). I'd like to see something a little more original like the other Nissan cousins, the new Infiniti designs.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I would have picked the Accord, if the 03-05 looked anything like the 06 that's about to get here. But I LOVE my Altima too. I think its the best looking car in the class right now.

I just try to be very open-minded about things, and seek value. :), even at 19.
    I inherited and still drive a 1991 Honda Accord EX, along with my 2005 Nissan Altima, so in essence, I do drive an Accord, but its 14 years old :P.

As far as the Passat vs. the Acura TL, I'm not going there, if you want my comments, shoot me an e-mail.

Alpha-
    Maybe it was different in my area, or maybe it was some type of dealer AD ploy, but I remember seeing $2000 cash rebates on the 2004 model Altimas in South Carolina, and $1500 cash back towards the end on the 2003s. I was seriously into Altimas since they got here in 2002. I used to check Mossy.com (a dealership in California) and I remember seeing the rebates on the 2003 models back then.
    In the South, Atlanta especially, Nissans sell VERY well. You see a new Maxima on every corner (as UGLY as they are) What was funny about the whole situation with the Altima was that some VERY large dealerships in the Atlanta area had many new 2003, 2004 and 2005s at the same time. As you already know, the 2004 model year was extremely short. The 2003 was a pretty good year for Altima sales, if I remember correctly, but some larger dealers in my area (not far from Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia, SC) had large inventories of leftover 2004 Altimas well into the middle of 2004. Mossy Nissan even had a rare brand new 2003 Velvet Beige 3.5SE with Black leather and manual transmission until about May of last year. They had the hardest time selling that thing ;)

I really don't know when the Altima is being released, I was just reporting some things I'd heard over at Altimas.net. I also read an article about the Nissan Altima hybrid making it here in late September of next year, and that the new Altima would be out several months before the Hybrid to get all the bugs worked out. Since Nissan has made a couple of dollars, they need to focus on QUALITY, Material care, and safety features along with content and features for the dollar.

The next Sentra needs to get here ASAP though. Its been here since Jan 2000 as a 2000 Model car! Have you heard any good things about it yet? I hear the first model was scrapped and the new one will be a "many Altima" Interesting, as I love the styling of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sentra gets here early, debuting at the NAIAS and then going on sell slightly after. Then the Altima debuting at the NYIAS (as it did in 2001, for MY2002) and going on sell slightly after.

Nissan, with its rampant cost cutting should have PLENTY of money (hey, it got some of mine :P ), plus they've made a mint by doing some serious engine and platform sharing over the last couple of years. Seems like every car (Minus the Sentra) has a platform mate(s). Even the Sentra shares its uplevel 2.5 with the Altima. Don't you have that engine in your Sentra?

But Regardless,
    Happy Motoring Days My Friends :)
    I just hope this New Altima doesn't look like the Teana (BLAH) or the Maxima (UGLY)

Seems like in many ways, the 1998 Volkswagen Passat was a benchmark in its own right. It was styled differently from the other cars of that time. So it's no surprise that Nissan copied some of the elements of the Passat. However, the Altima has a more wedgy and edgier look than the Passat, especially the 2001.5 models. The Passat, overall looked more refined than the Altima does, but I find the look of the Altima, especially the 05s, to be quite nice as well.

The Passat is the car that put the "S" back in style for this class. That's why cars like the Five Hundred/Montego (which share the same designer as the Passat), Altima and even cars like the G35, and M35 copied it. I can't count the nuimber of times folks have stated the G35, M35/M45 and Altima/Maxima were all the basic same cars, not realizing that only the Max and Alti have most things in common, while the G and M are basically the same platform. To me, the Infiniti sisters look like more refined verison of the Altima, but its subjective anyway.

Happy Motoring Days
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Our topic is defined in the "What is this discussion about" line at the top of the page and those are the vehicles we need to stick to.

Some off-topic posts have been removed. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Nissan has to make an effort to greatly improve the quality and appearance of their interiors, which have been a disapointment relative to the exteriors, and to the other competitors in this class. Again, the Passat has been the benchmark to beat, and so far no one has done that, and from what I've seen, the new 06' Passat interior is also very good.
  • deluxedeluxe Posts: 29
    Add me to that club....I owned 3 different vw's in Germany and they were great. My last one that i bought 4 years ago has been nothing but headache. In January I will finally be able to get something new (it is Maxima vs Accord for now).

Hey I forgot to add, my check engine light is on again..I dont even take it serious anymore- it can wait till 60k service...
    Still no 06 Accords or Maximas here in Michigan, I want to check the updates and compare the 2....
  • The front looks like an Infinit Q45
  • I just checked out the 06 Passat a coupe of days back at our local dealer, and i must say, the interior of that car (this was the loaded 2.0T) is GORGEOUS, and probably one of the best at ANY price point.

For me, however, this car in now out of my budget, its more in line with A4, TL, G35 etc and is even being compared with those cars, rather than the Camcords/Alty. I could get a base version cheaper, but then I wouldn't get the gorgeous interior I so much loved.

The other thing that bothers me are the overly long overhangs, something that VWAG has done well to hide in the past, but just seems to glare at you with this version. Anyway, like I said, I can't afford this car now, and I really don't like the Jetta, so that's out of the picture.
    Max- regardless of the exact Altima incentive scenario, the bottom line is that the car has achieved significant sales success through its distinctive style, roominess, class leading power levels, and good handling. HOWEVER, I simply question at what level the sales would currently be was the vehicle not to ALSO offer incentives that are greater than those of the CamCords.

Re: the Sentra, I dont want to talk at length since this is the midsize forum, but I completely agree. I love my '03 (now with 52K miles), but even at that model year, the car was in its 4th MY, but aging well (dont forget, this is prior to the MZ3, upgraded Focus, new Spectra, Cobalt, etc). Now, the vehicle is entering its 7th model year (how very General Motors), and no longer offers some of the more attractive options combinations that made my 2.5LE unique. The car is ONLY worth considering a value buy, IMO. There is very little known about the replacement, though I also did read that the original was dumped due to very poor consumer reception/study groups. Should be interesting.

Re: the Altima's 2.5L. It needs to be refined, and it needs to achieve acceptable levels of efficiency. 23/29 doesnt cut it these days. Give us another cog in the trans, and variable timing on BOTH the intake and exhaust cams, and that should do the trick. These are definitely prerequisites for the redesign, whenever that debuts.

I also agree that for some reason, Nissan skimps on safety with the Altima line. Not other lines, mind you, as, for example, the Maxima and Quest have had side curtains since their debuts, ahead of competiting Toyotas. But I've seen many 25K Altima 2.5SL models lacking the ABS/Side Airbag option. GET REAL!!!! WHO BUYS THESE THINGS?????

~alpha
    True about the incentives though Alpha. I know for sure that if I had waited a few more months, I would have sprung for a 3.5SE as I loved the power and the added options (Xenons) that you could get.

I'm also agreeing with you on the 2.5 engine's performance. I does feel pretty fast, even in my rather large Altima, but it lacks the NVH levels, refinement, extra gear and smoothness of the Camry and Accord's I4 powertrains.

And as far as seeing $25K Altimas without ABS options. Try looking at some of the ones down here for $27K with every option from Navigation to factory chrome wheels, but NO ABS or Side Airbags.

Nissan really needs to get that together IMO. Or else the competition from Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia will run all over them this next time around. Nissan shouldn't pull a Ford Fusion on us (making ABS optional)
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    Any midsize car costing $18-20K and up should have standard ABS and side airbags. I looked at some Altimas recently and was shocked by the lack of these features in a $23-25K car. It's time to join the 21st century, Nissan!
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    They better also make better interiors. Nissans interior is very bad, and not very tight and buttoned down.

But since the m35/45 now with its very stellar interior, its time that even nissan encorporate thtat style into their cars
  • I don't think Nissan interiors are bad; they just had a problem with the 02 Altima, but the 05 redesign really helped matters. On the other hand, yeah, they could do better.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    VW was probably the worst car I've ever owned, it had problems with the steering, engine, stereo etc. I also had problems with my Chevy, but it wasn't as bad as the VW.

I've never really stuck to a car manufacturer, my last car was a Toyota, and the car before the Toyota was the Chevy. Who knows maybe my next car may be a Hyundai (or a BMW :D)
  • truethattruethat Posts: 123
    imageimage

Length x Width x Height x Wheelbase (mm)
    Optima 4735 x 1805 x 1480 x 2720
    Sonata 4800 x 1832 x 1475 x 2730

Optima is smaller but tiny bit taller. Perhaps more European approach?
    I heard somewhere that Optima will be closer to Elantra than Sonata.
    The engine used in Optima will be somewhere between the two Hyundai cars.
    Hmmm...

I'm a little disappointed with the design, to be honest. I hoped it would be a little
    sportier than that.
This discussion has been closed.