Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    like an Infiniti Q45 but smaller.
    But its nice. I think the Sonata is better looking actually :P
  • truethattruethat Posts: 123
    Call me crazy but I see a little bit of old lexus IS...
    I'm anxious to see the rear. (That just doesn't sound right :P )
    imageimage
    They almost look identical IMO, I am not sure about the old IS.

And no that doesn't sound right :P
    Okay, I give you that one...
    The front looks awefully similar.
    Do I see a little bit of Audi A8 in the back or what?
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    I've had a love/hate relationship with my 2002 Passat. On one hand I had problems with ignition coils and the front suspension, both of which were corrected in a day, under warantee, with a loaner. The VW dealer has been very good contrary to reports about other VW dealers on some of these forums.

On the other hand, the Passat has been at the top of the list for favorite cars of the 35 or so cars that I've owned. It has a great ride, handling and acceleration, and the interior is tight and quiet. The design both inside and out is beautiful. My mileage has been up to 33mpg on the highway and 26mpg around town. Overall it's a world class car that can compete with sedans costing $1000's more. It does everything well, and it is one of the safest sedans available. The only other car I liked better was my 67' Porsche 911 for "fun to drive" ranking.

Even taking into consideration the problems, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, because I look forward to driving this car every day, even after 3 years, and it still looks good next to the competition, even though its on a decade old platform.
    It sounds like the new 2006 will be even better, which makes sense since it is the next generation, although I don't think the styling is a striking as the last generation Passat.
    Nice, but more evolutionary than revolutionary.
    Whoa I do see some Audi A8 :P (and maybe A4)

imageimage
    imageimage
    The front just makes me laugh. It looks exactly like the Infiniti Q45.

Doesn't look very sporty, I like the Sonata's design better...
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    The profile is exactly the same as the Sonata. Just some different front and rear treatment.

Not surprising, as these are sister cars made by the same company in the same price segment.

I kind of see the Sonata/Optima relationship in the same way as the Taurus/Sable relationship a few years back.

Hyundai is taking a dual-headed approach to this segment, while all the other import companies have just one offering.
    I think Hyundai/Kia is doing a better job of differentiating the cars than
    Ford/Mercury. Sonata/Optima, Tucsan/Sportage, Accent/Rio...
    They do look quite different.
    I just wonder when they'll get over the derivative designs.
    (Although I think Sonata is hansome and has a lot of potentials)
  • Just to let everybody know, mazda is bringing out a new 6 next year fall for 07 instead of 08. Expect the new 6 to be bigger than the current altima
  • Just curious... how recent and from where is your info?

As of a month ago, my Mazda regional rep told me that the slightly refreshened 2006 Mazda6 will be an eighteen month product run. During this time the 2007 will be in final development and eventually retooling stages. It is true that the 2007 Mazda6 will be slightly larger than the current Nissan Altima. It will still stand apart from the other boring ho-hum sedans due to the ZOOM ZOOM factor.

Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering... all adds up to make the next generation 2007 Mazda6 an even better player in the field.
    Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering... all adds up to make the next generation 2007 Mazda6 an even better player in the field.

Vanilla seems to be the best flavor in the mid-size segment.
    the more I like the new Optima.
    I've been looking at it again and again throughout the day, and I like it better
    each time. Does anybody know when the launch date is in the US?
    LA Times, Dan Neil Read
    It's a review of Sonata, to make myself clear.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Aggressive style and looks, sharp and clear lines, sport-tuned suspensions, speed sensitive steering...

Hmm... sounds a lot like my '04 Elantra GT. It also sounds like a sales pitch. :)
    Funny review...
    I like how he parked the Sonata beside the Accords :P
    Can we add Kia Optima to the list on top?
    It clearly qualifies as an import and it's clearly a midsize sedan.
    If Hyundai Sonata qualifies for this board, Kia Optima should too.
    Heck, they are basically same cars. :P
    e-mail the host? (pat) :confuse:

I'm starting to like it to... any interior shots? :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Another fine mid-sized imported sedan. But I think there's a limit of six...
This discussion has been closed.