Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    No, 2008 will be a revamped Accord. 2007 Accord have been on lots for a couple of months now. Look for the 2008 Accord next September.

Latest talk is that it will have the 3.2L from the TL, but that's just speculation.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    grad... 2.3, 3.0, 3.5 are all duratec engines. the 3.0 trades some smoothness for less maintenance.
    horsepower is not the answer to everything. back in '89 you could get a 3.0 in a taurus sedan that could outrun just about everything. it did cost more than a lot of people were willing to pay, though.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    Look for Honda to introduce a DOHC engine for the 08 Accord.
    The SOHCs have served them well, but times are a changing.
    Is my 2.4L I-4 a SOHC (2006 EX Accord)? I thought I-4s were DOHC. The V6 is a Single Cam engine though, you're correct.

My 2.2L in my 1996 I-4 Accord is a SOHC. Haha
    horsepower is not the answer to everything. back in '89 you could get a 3.0 in a taurus sedan that could outrun just about everything. it did cost more than a lot of people were willing to pay, though.

The Taurus was on top of the car market then, wasn't it? It was doing quite well when it was one of the powerful players...
    I'm not saying that is why they sold, it is just interesting to note the correlation. Just a thought...

Horsepower isn't everything, but it is a lot to some people (not me, I got the I-4 model!). And this day in age when you can get a Toyota that delivers better fuel economy AND 47 more horsepower, Ford looks a little behind.
    for some, it's all about the looks, not the reality.
    Yep... most want 300 horsepower, but will never use it.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    don't know that Honda even needs DOHC -yet, the immediate future has already been here in form of the 3.5s in the TL type S and the RL at 286 and 300 hp respectively. Despite the SOHC, it is still a 24 valve head(s), and is continuously variable (VTEC) on the intake side. Honda, as usual, doesn't need any help building wonderful engines.
    Put out the 08 Accord, with the same 270hp as the Altima/Camry in that 3.5, and the smoothness that is typical of all Honda engines, the Accord will remain at the top of the heap. Besides, the current 3.2 is anything but a slouch, a little low on torque but that should be fixed with the displacement increase.
    if honda is running sohc, isn't that old tech? maybe is little less old tech than ohv? :)
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "Now Ford needs to improve on this platform and not let it just die on the vine. Many improvements coming for 07 model year."

Bingo. They can't let the Fusion go the way of the Focus.
    you funny man.
    you never drove a focus with a 2.3? it is good!
    "That the BMW/Mercedes is lower on the reliability factor, yet people flock to these vehicles. These are purely an image/status vehicle in this country."

There are many folks who get these cars becuase of status and image no doubt. That doesn't mean they're not wonderfully engineered vehicles. Perhaps not worth the extra money to many people but these are superior vehicles. You know I'm a big advocate for Hondas but my Audi is worth the extra money for what I want in a car. Please bear with me Pat.
    Fine. Do you think it's keeping up with the Mazda 3 line up that includes the Mazdaspeed 3.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    The article says that this engine is destined for the 2 Lincolns, the 500, the Edge, and the Freestyle!

Why not the Fusion???

It is destined for the Fusion (and Mustang), but not right away. The 500, Montego and Freestyle get it in April of next year along with a new front, rear and interior upgrade.

They just don't have the production capacity yet to offer it in all vehicles. They might also wait until the 3.7L is available for Lincoln to keep the differentiation between the Fusion and the MKZ.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "There are many folks who get these cars becuase of status and image no doubt."

Image and status are moving targets. A fully loaded Toyota Camry with all of the trimmings as a new car to someone that has previously driven used Elantras is a status symbol. There is no $ amount over which a car can be considered to have an image or status. Bottom line, image and status to some is plebianism to others.

It's all based on where you started from.
    i'd like to have a mazda3 2.3 justifying the extra 7k is not so easy for me. mazdaspeed 3 is even more. call me a cheap yankee. ;)
    Is a Rolls-Royce a status car? And does this car come standard with a chauffer?
    $7k? Even if you assume one pays full retail for the Mazda 3.2 and one pays the discounted price for the comparable Focus you don't get close to $7k. Sounds like "Thee Math" from Carl Rove.
    never heard of a mazda 3.2, what do you think a mazda3 2.3 would cost? i have a focus 2.3 zts, 5 speed, power moonroof, heated seats, abs, a bunch more. 14.2 otd.
This discussion has been closed.