Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    9 times outta 10, when a guy tells you about his good income, he's lying. The money makers I know NEVER talk about it.

You're exactly right! Of all the people I've ever met or known in my life that had big, big bucks, not a single one of them would ever mention money. Not even a hint of it. Now I have known some guys that owed a lot of money that went around bragging a lot about what all they had. The problem was that they were deeply in debt for all of their toys and McMansions.
  • I have been at SF auto-show today. I was looking for next family sedan because my Sable Premium is 4 y.o. and became pretty dated design. It proved to be very reliable – did not have any problems and comfortable but still design goes back to 96 and it feels.

Well here are my impressions. Because it is auto-show all impressions are about interior and exterior and execution.

Let’s start with Camry – I was disappointed. On photos interior looks impressive but in real life it sucks. I did not like wide flat seats without lateral support – very uncomfortable feeling. In general interior looks and feels like a new model from Buick. I am 50 y.o. but still think I am not old enough to enjoy Camry.

My hope was a new VW Passat. But I was disappointed again. First exterior looks like Asian car – there is nothing European or cool about its exterior. Secondly I could not find comfortable seating position. And interior has some kind Buicknish in it, it just do not look or feel cool as used to be in older Passat.

Altima/Maxima – I do not like exterior – too ugly no style at all, I do not know who came up with these ideas. Interior is much improved but still I did not feel any desire to buy one of these.

Saturn Aura: exterior look too Asian to me – I am not impressed. Interior looks kind of Asian too but design still is pretty good. What I did not like is some flimsiness of interior panels, like door panels or armrest. Audio/HVAC stacks on the steering wheel move – another indication of flimsiness of interior. And then – too much hard plastics – lower dash e.g.

Chrysler Sebring – hmm, what did they mean? It looks as ugly in person as it looks on photos. Interior –to much hard plastic, center armrest is too high, overall has some cheap feeling cannot explain why. It does not look and feel like either Asian or European, may be it is a truly American design but execution might be better. May be in darker colors it will look better.

So my choice so far is Mercury Milan. It is pretty impressive vehicle. I love exterior design – it stirs emotion, it is sweet and sexy in other word. Very European with some American touches. Interior also feels European and well executed. Soft plastic all around, supportive and comfortable seats, everything is solid - no flimsiness anywhere, soft green lightning – I do not like too dark colors like blue or too bright like red, and orange looks too cheap. But mostly no no-nonsense driver oriented tight cockpit.

Lincoln MKZ – dash is too high and strange. Well some plastics are not for luxury car – certainly cost-cutting.

BTW I liked new Lincoln Navigator interior. It is retro and cool at the same time - for truck it okay, but not for sedan. It also uses better materials and looks and feels more upscale than previous Navigator. I am not interested in SUVs, just found new Navigator interior coolest of the show.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    I agree, people should buy what they want. I was judging no one. I was pointing out that many weathly people prefer to put their money into appreciating assets like 401Ks and real estate rather than depreciating assets like cars. Not a judgment, just a fact.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Did you look at the Accord, G6, Mazda6, Optima, or Sonata? Although you don't seem to like "Asian" styling, so you may not like most of those cars just on that basis.

I like the Milan also; it's my favorite domestic mid-sized family car (although I haven't driven the Aura yet). Now that side bags and ABS are standard on the Milan, I think it's a nice package even in base form.
  • I think that is part of why its so hard for me to get a car period. If I didn't pull the trigger a MazdaSpeed6 on the deals they were having (man what a car and what a deal), I'm just not gonna get something soon. I feel like I can keep the one I have going indefinitely by working on it when it needs it, and everytime I save up money to buy something, I feel guilty for not saving it or putting it a way or paying down more on the house or something. I look at what is out there in my price range and I decide its not enough of an improvement over what I have now, and I would rather do something else with the money.
    In full disclosure, we have one almost new family car that transports what is most important to me, but I keep hanging onto a 15 y/o car to go to work and back.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Live a little - buy a new ride. You deserve it. Its only money.

The Mazda6 is a great vehicle. I say get it. Keep the 15 year old car as a beater.

In full disclosue, I'm not a Madison Ave. ad guy but I play one on TV.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Everyone has their own priorities in life. I knew a guy who lived in an apartment, and barely made enough to pay the rent, and hardly had any left for spending money. The whole time he was driving his new expensive car though (5 series beemer), he felt like he was living the "good life". He was perfectly happy with his life (simple). My priorities would not have worked for him (way too complicated). I hope to have his level of satisfaction in my own life some day. I wonder where Mark Dyer is today?
  • "Did you look at the Accord, G6, Mazda6, Optima, or Sonata?"

Mazda6 is too small and stiff (I mean suspension) I am too old for this stuff. G6 has monochrome cabin with low quality details and some are flimsy and hard plastic. I like G6 exterior more than Aura, but interior feels too tight and cheap. And it is narrow and long what is not a good combination. I would prefer shorter and wider car.

I like interior and gray lightning of Accord. But still it is too noisy and too commonplace. Exterior looks like typical poorly designed Asian car, i.e. no sexy or anything - rather ugly front. It is just practical car and I want something more unique and emotional not just practical. And According :) to journalists it is less sporty than Fusion/Milan.

Anything Kia or Huydai I do not even consider. I actually sat it Sonata and it feels pretty cheap inside – but it is expected – it is a cheap car.

Sexiest cars I saw at the show were Italian cars. And only Italian cars were Lamborgini and Maseratti. Man those are sweet but I cannot afford having one.
  • Milan has an Italian name.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Reading through your posts, there is apparently nothing to your liking in this class of vehicle - everything from the Camry, to the Accord is too stodgy or commonplace, and you dismiss the Sonata simply because it is a Hyundai (Times are changing, my friend, and it is, in the REAL WORLD, a tremendous offering). Perhaps you need to rexamine your expectations. You're not going to find a Rolls Royce interior wrapped in the exotic look of an Italian sports car in the 22K Family Sedan market. Deal.

~alpha
  • Thanks rs_petty I be down at the DVD store tomorrow . I have been trying to find the name for months Thank you .
    Jack :D
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    I think "savetheland" should up his budget and buy a Mercedes E-Class or a BMW 5-series. He's looking in the wrong market segment for the amenities he's expecting.

Milan (Milano in Italian) is an Italian reference in name only, as everyone knows it's built on a Mazda 6 platform. That's like calling the late '80s and early '90s Daewoo-built Pontiac Le Mans a French car!!
  • Actually the Milan couldn't be the Milano becuase Alfa Romeo already used that in their last pre-Chrysler sedan offering. IIRC the Alfa Romeo Milano Verde was a farily nice ride if you are okay with Italian ergonomics.
    I kind of agree, Savetheland. You might be happier in a slightly used premium or entry level lux/sport sedan. I am pretty sure I will be too.
    Since Pletko hasn't chimed in yet, you might want to look at the full sized "domestic" offerings if the size/comfort is more inline with what you are looking for. Apparently they aren't as expensive as previously thought.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I wouldn't even start to talk about money = cars. That's only from your point of view.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    "Ford can't seem to even put a decent shifter in it's great Fusion. D or L. That's it. Very weak.

How about a hood that shuts all the way? The ones I checked out looked like the hood was ajar even when slammed shut.

How is the "shifter" weak? It has a 6spd transmission??

Hood shuts all the way??? what?? this makes no sense whatsoever.
    unrefined interior?? in your opinion or your perception..
  • How is the "shifter" weak? It has a 6spd transmission??

Hood shuts all the way??? what?? this makes no sense whatsoever.
    unrefined interior?? in your opinion or your perception..

I think he was pointing out that many other automatic transmission cars in the class has the boy-racer psuedo manu-matic shift mode where you can pretend your driving a manual.
    "Ford can't seem to even put a decent shifter in it's great Fusion. D or L. That's it. Very weak."

Talk about GM. Saw a Lucerne at a floor show. Buicks' have come a long way. It's a nice car from far away. But when you examine it up close, the hood and trunk didn't align with the body and as CR says there were a few more "sample defects".

My guess would be if one examines a number or CamCords, the fit and finish would be beyond reproach.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    kdshapiro wrote: "My guess would be if one examines a number or CamCords, the fit and finish would be beyond reproach."

This is certainly what one would expect, but not what I've observed in critically inspecting a number of Camrys, both the 2005 and 2006 model years, and the new generation 2007. In fact, several car mags have pointed out the flaws in the fit and finish of the Camry, especially the 2007.

I almost bought a new 2005 Camry LE, but the rear doors weren't hung properly, as the seams didn't match up with the front doors', the inside of each front door's trim (near the driver's and passenger's side windows) was improperly aligned, as well as other little bits and pieces, including the front bumper cover not in alignment with the right-front fender (on several samples of 2005 Camrys). These all came out of the Georgetown, KY plant, and were brand new on the lot.

The Camry may have had superlative build-quality, and fit and finish, but I've noted otherwise in scrutinizing the car lately. I think the production capacity drive is catching up with Toyota.

The Accord, on the other hand, seems to have maintained it's excellent fit and finish.
    "This is certainly what one would expect, but not what I've observed in critically inspecting a number of Camrys"

I can't speak of seeing large scale defects in 2007 Camrys', but on the whole one can't help but notice the excellent build qualities on the car. On those I've seen, interior finish is beyond reproach, the body is completely aligned. Why can't GM do this? Even if there are issues reported with the car, I wouldn't hesitate for one second in getting a 2007 Camry. I know Toyota will address them.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    If he really wants to get al of that in a "family sedan", perhaps he needs to look at a couple of year old model instead. 22K will buy you almost anything you desire in the 2-5 year old range, up to and including some really nice high-end cars.
This discussion has been closed.