Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    if all I had was not a penny more than $18-20k - guess I would be hightailing it down to my friendly Sonata dealer.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I cringe whenever someone mentions resale value. No one guarantees the values in the future.

A better comparison for the short-termers would probably be lease costs.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I like the styling of the Altima.. :shades:
    "Why do you consistently put your vehicle (and its counterparts) down? They aren't bad cars - you say they are more than anyone. "

I don't put them down, folks like yourself claim the I4 of the Honda Accord is so superior.. Yet when you look at the numbers it really isn't.. ;)
    "Yes, CR is a joke, because it has picked the Accord over a Fusion, so is CD, RT, MT etc, because they picked the Accord/Camry over a Fusion.

However, Strategic Designs is not a joke (it picked Fusion's interiors over anything else in its class). Neiher is JD Powers a joke (it picked Fusion as the most appealing midsize), nor is the Ford sponsored 'comparison test' a joke.

Anybody see a pattern here? "

So, why is the pattern of Honda winning ok? and not Ford? Anyone see a pattern HEAR? :sick:
    Very obvious you missed this discuusion. It has already been proven the V6 Duratec is no louder than a v6 Accord or V6 Camry. DB numbers were posted, I keep posting and posting them, not going to do it again. The DT has VVT and 24valves per cylinder, in no way is it slower to rev.. The numbers don't make sense. This weekend I take my car to a track and I will test it from 45-60. Last night a friend and I did if for kicks and the stop watch said 4.9-5.1 pretty consistantly. You keep trying to downplay the 3.0 Duratec as being a slug and a shoddy engine, when it is not. Granted it is one of the lower HP/Torque V6's in this class. But in now way does an I4 from Honda or Toyota match or beat it. Hope to God I see you on the road... :mad:
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    if all I had was not a penny more than $18-20k - guess I would be hightailing it down to my friendly Sonata dealer.

Quite true. :)

These days, Mazda, GM, Hyundai, and others offer compelling choices to the price gouging Honda and Toyota are obviously engaging in.

And, my typo - obviously I meant V6 from others vs the 4 in the Camry and Accord.

Btw, when my sister was looking for a car, she narrowed it down to the Civic and the Mazda 3. The reality is that the two cars are so close as to be a wash. Same size, same interiors, same accessories, same power, same...

There were a total of 4 small differences between the two cars that I could find. The thing that amazed me was that at first I was all "two different cars". Then I looked and drove them and poured over every square inch of them - and darn it if Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai, and others aren't making very close clones of the same car for less money. GM isn't making crud anymore, either.

She went with the Honda. Me? I'd have gone with the 3 for less money.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    When you buy a stock, would you not consider its history? Which investment would you see as doing better, one with a steady upside, or one with a dicey past, or downward slippery slope. I think it is pretty easy to see the Honda or Toyota as being a better resale value, when compared to cars with a pretty steady history of poorer resale values. Just like, while saying that no one guarantees a stocks value, a wise person chooses quality when investing to better the odds. The Accord has better odds of resale value.

As for Aura, they are predicting average resale. Average is an improvement for GM cars. If the car is desirable in other ways, I would not say that an average resale value is a barrier to buying this car at all. Some cars which have really poor resale may only work out if you keep them 'till they drop. And in the end I suppose people, self included, start to over emphasize the importance of getting the best dollar value car, when in fact it is the overall pleasure it provides which is important.
    -Loren
    "One of the problems with these 'old' tech V6s, they don't 'like' to rev, and this would definitely be a difference between any of these better V6s (and Honda's 4) and something like the DT3.0.

captain, you just shot yourelf in the foot... Very obvious you know nothing about the Duratec V6 that is offered in the Fusion/Milan. They come with VVT, dual overheadcams and 24valves.. and believe me they like to rev.... ;)
    well let's see, the new Altima 4 banger is rated higher than the Accord 4 according to CR, the 6 cylinder the same. But that is not some substantiation of something more than a "accord wins bias"? Or is it simply that they don't agree with you?
    The Honda Accord has been the standard by which all these cars are judged (including Camrys, Altimas etc) and for good reason
    "Total value, if bought at a good price, will most likely go to Accord or Camry in the long run. But there is more to it than that. "

The whole point here is that you cannot touch a like optioned Camry/Accord for less than $2-4,000 dollars when comparing a Fusion/Milan/Sonata/G6/Optima/Altima/Mazda-6. The question is - Is the extra $2,000 - $4,000 premium you will pay for an Accord/Camry worth it to you? and why?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Changing direction a bit, isn't it odd that the 4 cylinders actually have peak torque at lower rpm than the V6s? For example in the 2.3 engine in my Mazda, peak torque is at 4000 rpm, vs. 5000 for the V6? Apparently the situation is similar for the Honda engines, as well.

Logical to me though, as the engine tuners have more torque to work with overall, they can afford to have higher torque peaks than the 4-cylinder's can, because they have more torque overall.
    May also want to go check out the Kia dealer. The Optima scored very well in a comparo test. Beat the Camry by a nice margin. V6 Optima can be had for under 19K! loaded. If you need just good solid transportation and don't care about having to have a siler "H" or "T" on the hood.. :shades:
    Well, that's purely gearing. Ad it's a sign that they are favoring performance over squeezing every last mpg out of the drivetrain.

High MPG engines with tall gears and that develop all of their power at high RPMs are unfortunately all too common - and really nasty to drive in stop and go traffic/in a typical city.
    The question is - Is the extra $2,000 - $4,000 premium you will pay for an Accord/Camry worth it to you? and why?

First of all, the Accord was worth it to me, but it was not $4,000 more than a Fusion. More like $1,500 at the time judging by these forums' "prices paid" sections.

Here are a few reasons why I went for the Accord specifically over the Fusion/Milan twins (since that is a hot topic).

1.) Interior design. The Accord has better ergonomics with less "eyes-off-the-road time" for me. It also has an interior design that, despite being 5 years old now, still looks more contemporary than the much newer Fusion (and other competitors as well such as Sonata). The Fusion had many things that looked straight from Ford's workhorse F-150 with rectangular stereo and climate control layouts, etc..., where Honda's Accord interior looks custom designed for that vehicle only.

2.) Fuel economy - The Fusion had lower economy in the 4-cylinder versions, something I was interested in. The difference wasn't large, but something to consider if you take highway trips.

3.) Engine sound/refinement - the Accord is a sewing machine in comparison to the Fusion. Some people like the more growly sound, and that's good for them, since they have a car that makes it. I prefer a smoother engine; and the Honda I-4 is smoother than some competitor's V6 engines.

4.) Honda has shown many times that it makes good products. More importantly, they stand behind them when they fail, issuing recalls, extended warranties, and even doing goodwill repairs when the warranty has expired.

SUMMARY

To me, the interior alone told me I would be happier in an Accord over a Fusion, because I like the ergonomics, materials quality, and importantly, the tactile quality that comes in Honda interiors. Everything moves very precisely; something that the two Ford's I have been in, simply didn't do.

Drive the cars yourselves, and make your decision. I made mine, but it doesn't make it the right decision for you necessarily.
    I think I would go with the 4-cylinder Optima since the V6 only buys you a small amount more power (185 hp vs. 161 hp). The Optima is a great entry in the 4-cylinder market, but needs the 3.3L to compete in the competitive 6-cylinder market of 230-270 horsepower models.
  • Where are you seeing the difference of 2-4k between the Accord and the Altima? IMO, they are priced quite close; and in fact the Accord may be cheaper these days in real street prices.

Sonata, definitely, is a very good alternative and a good price difference to boot (I am not too sure about what rebates Hyundai is running these days, but some time back you could buy a loaded V6 Sonata near 18-19k, which is way cheaper than anything comparable). This is not to say the Fusion is not a good alretnative, however I just don't see the price difference of 2-4k between Fusion/Accord
    He's probably including the typical incentives that Ford offers from time to time in his mental math. Which is fair, to be honest, since Honda and Toyota almost never offer incentives.
  • db numbers are measured in the vehicle - I will give you that the Fusion may have great sound insulation, but it doesn't really truly tell us which of the engines are quieter. Also louder does not mean more annoying - pitch plays a big role what sounds like a meat grater vs. a smooth engine.

Road rage is not good - you're gonna get killed and kill someone else in the process. Drive safe... remember, your Fusion (because its an early model) only has a 4-star safety rating vs. the 5-star you might encounter in captain's car. ;)
This discussion has been closed.