Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla XRS vs Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V vs Mazda3

13»

Comments

• jmann98jmann98 Posts: 2
    I drove both the 3 hatch and XRS within a week of each other and was definitely more impressed with the 3. I haven't seen all the magazine numbers, but I know that the 3's slalom in one was that of the Acura sports coupe - type S! And it beat the tC's g force despite having narrower tires. What I found impressive about the 3 was the little enthusiast things: break feel, clutch feel, shifter feel, steering, balance, composure. And while the XRS may have more horsepower at 7k rpm, it looses to the 3 during most of the rpm band, which is to say, 99% of the time. I like my engine to have a peak, but too peaky is just stupid - look how Honda has totally backed off the too peaky thing. The lighter XRS may make up for some of that on paper, but it didn't feel this way to me. On a more subjective note, the matrix is, IMO, one of the ugliest cars on the road. All I can think is that some stodgy exec was trying to figure out was was hip, and missed. Toyotas are boring and ugly, with few exceptions. Driving the Matrix and XRS solidified my hatred of that big stupid company. The only reason I'd consider the XRS over the 3 hatch is because the XRS hatch holds more, and Toyota relibability. Driving wise, the 3 is more of an enthusiast car, while the XRS still feels like a boring, numb appliance to me. Oh, and the SE-R just doesn't have the reliability ratings, not to mention composure and refinement of the other two. Old school, but still fun. Plus its an eyesoar that Nissan needs to fix with the next model.
    -driving a modified '97 SE-R, and shopping for a 3 hatch to replace it.
  • jmann98jmann98 Posts: 2
    I don't expect much from the new Civic, except maybe another well-built nerdmobile that's underpowered. Honda just keeps getting safer and more boring with most of their cars, both in performance and looks. They seem more focused on profitability than fun. The smaller Mazda company seems much more content finding an enthusiast nitch and succeeding within it. I used to love Honda, but now I'm starting to like Subaru more! Mazda's new line up is just fantastic though. Across their brand, they build the best suspensions in the world, dollar for dollar. Is it even debatable?
  • Jmann98 we are talking about the Corolla XRS not the Matrix, big difference believe it or not, I agree the Matrix does look ugly, somthing I just cant say about the Corolla XRS.The exterior is not an eye sore (not as flashy as the 3), The interior looks and feels like a luxury vihicle (w/ leather trim). Toyota is not a boring company, they will burn Mazda in any race anytime!...Yeah I have to say m not really to Exited bout the Civic my self, but who knows right? Maybe their SIR version will pump out 180 HP's at major torque and claws the pavment more so than the 3.
  • On a climb and twisty road, I take the Corolla XRS anytime. And I dont even need to turn the radio on. The sound of the engine is music to my ears specially when I hit that 6th gear. What a blast to drive.
    What did you guys said about break feel? Steering feel? Clutch feel?
    Look at the comparo from Motor Trend. The Corolla XRS beat the hell out of the MZ3 in stopping distance, slalom speed, 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Now chew on that.
  • "it looses to the 3 during most of the rpm band, which is to say, 99% of the time"
    I have a question. What about the 0-60MPH RPM band? Or the 1/4 mile RPM band. Your not paying attention or your talking base on your oppinion. Lets be objective. Check out the Motor Trend comparison between XRS and MZ3.
  • "The XRS doesnt "look" or feel sporty"-epinions review
    Oh so you can judge a car by just the looks of it? And who is this reviewer?
    You know what? Just drive the car.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Lets be objective. Check out the Motor Trend comparison between XRS and MZ3

Yes, please do be objective. The Motortrend test was performed with an automatic Mazda3.

You can throw the acceleration figures out the window because automatic vs manual comparisons are apples to oranges. Chew on that.
  • at least I've got figures. What do you have? "By the look of it its more sporty" and "It feels faster and more agile". Show me some figures and not just opinions.

Including in the comparison were a Cobalt LS/manual, Focus ZX4 ST/manual. Both have higher HP figure and have higher torque at much lower rpm range than a MAzda 3. XRS beat them all in performance figures.
    at least I've got figures. What do you have? "By the look of it its more sporty" and "It feels faster and more agile". Show me some figures and not just opinions.

I never said the stuff you put in quotes, but I will now. The Mazda3 looks WAY better and more sporty than any Corolla. Even the XRS is nerdy looking. Around town, it will feel faster than the high strung XRS.

As to your "figures", they're worthless. Like I said before, the comparison test that you're citing tested an automatic Mazda3 vs. a manual Corolla. Is it any wonder that the Corolla was faster? The handling figures from that test are relevent, but the acceleration figures are junk.

Here's a figure: Mazda3s hatchback 0-60: 7.4
  • "The Mazda3 looks WAY better and more sporty than any Corolla. Even the XRS is nerdy looking".
    So what ? Were talking about performance here. Isaid it before and I will say it again, Mazda 3 is the best looking compact sedan out there.

" Around town, it will feel faster than the high strung XRS."

Wrong again. See the figures from the comparison. 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60...I mean across the board, XRS posted the best times. And lets not say that the competition are all slush boxes. The Ford SVT and Cobalt LS are manuals and have more HP and Torque at even lower RPM comapared to Mazda 3. And they got beat. Do you expect Mazda 3 to come up with even better times than these 2 cars?
    Face the facts.
    By the way , XRS 0-60 is 7.1.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    You know which car's side I'm on here, BUT ...

I just looked up their test of the Mazda3 manual, and "giantkiller" is correct ... the Corolla XRS manual IS faster 0-60 and in the quarter-mile.

But that doesn't mean it's not a boring, ugly-looking car! :cry:

Meade
    "The Corolla XRS beat the hell out of the MZ3 in stopping distance, slalom speed, 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Now chew on that. "

Corolla XRS manual transmission:

0-60: 7.1

Mazda3s manual transmission hatchback:

0-60 7.4

Face the facts. Manual vs. Manual. Apples to apples. CHEW ON THAT. That's hardly "beating the hell out of".

Also----the sedan is lighter than the hatch, so it should be a little quicker than 7.4.

Once again, you IGNORE the fact that the Motortrend comparo used an automatic Mazda3 and a manual Corolla.
  • Okay, then I have a question for you. How will Mazda3 S 4 door/sedan/manual compare performance wise with a:

Ford ZX4 ST/manual with 151HP@5750RPM and 145lb-ft@ 4250RPM with a curb weight of 2803lbs

Cobalt LS/manual with 145HP@5600RPM and 155lb-ft@4000RPM with a curb weight of 2853lbs.
  • Will Masda 3/manual/sedan post better times than the Focus ZX4 and/or Cobalt LS?
    You asked for some figures, I gave them to you. The Corolla XRS isn't "beating the hell" out the Mazda3 at all. The acceleration numbers for 0-60 are so close that it'd be a drivers race. The handling limits on both cars are so high that 99% of the people will never even come close to the limits. The Corolla handles better, but rides worse. Test track times don't always tell you how the car feels accelerating around town and if you doubt that, just go drive an S2000. On paper it's fast, but unless you wring the hell out of it, it feels like a Civic. The Mazda3 WILL feel faster and more relaxed around town and that's all there is to it.

Will Masda 3/manual/sedan post better times than the Focus ZX4 and/or Cobalt LS?

I gave you the 0-60 figure for the MANUAL transmission Mazda3 hatchback (which is heavier than the sedan), so you can answer that question yourself.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You two need to agree to disagree and move on. Beating each other up is neither productive nor appropriate.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    I went onto the site Modernracer.

And the Gave the Corolla XRS 7.6 seconds
    And Mazda3s 7.5 (with Manual)

Toyota Corolla XRS
    Mazda3 s
  • Modern racer is more on speculations than test driving, most of the info in their site is opinion or from other websites, unlike car and driver or motor trend which have a wealth of resources and actually basing their figures on test drives. 7.6 they probably got that figure from Consumer Guide, which also makes rough estimates from time to time of performance figures. So believe what u may believe, I pesonally think XRS 7.1/S hatch 7.4. Although the average driver probably wont be able to clock those kind of numbers, it takes experience to be able to know how to shift gears and on the right time.
  • has anyone ever compared these cars to a RSX type S....its kinda outta league in a way, but does anyone have a opinion...?
13»
This discussion has been closed.