Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2006+

123abc123abc Posts: 2
edited March 21 in Acura
Just had a chat with someone from Acura HQ today, and he mention the 2006 TL will have the AWD and fold-down back seats.

Comments

• fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    Were they the only changes to be made, or is there a possibility of more HP, and maybe back up sensors and power tilt and scope wheel as an option??
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    What's your relationship with this guy? A personal friend? It surprises me that he would leak that kind of information out.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    With sales of the TL as hot as they are, I doubt Acura would be so quick to refresh the car for 06'. I also think Honda would spotlight a drastic change such as the addition of AWD at one of the big Auto shows (Detroit, NY) as well, which didn't happen (this year). I could however see this happening in 06' with a release of the freshened TL in 07.
    But then again, all of Acura's Japanese competitors (not to mention also most of its Euro competitors) offer an entry-lux AWD sport sedan, so perhaps Honda feels it is necessary to up pace asap. I wonder what it would do to RL sales though, since the SH-AWD is probably the major reason most people would ante up the significant extra $$ for an RL.

If it does come about, I would have a tough decision to make as to whether to trade in for one, or wait for the RDX. (If BMW offers some attractive lease deals on the '06 X5 with the new 255hp 6, then the decision would be further complicated!)
    It would essentially make the RL obsolete, unfortunately. The TL is a much better looking vehicle IMO (not that I don't like the RL, quite the opposite actually) and the SH-AWD is really the only reason to chose the RL. They'll have to do something pretty drastic to justify the 50k asking price over a 38k (just guess-timating) TL AWD. Maybe a V8 or Hybrid :D ?
    I'm axiously waiting for the production RDX to appear as well. Going to be an excellent crossover IMO but I also would love to see a stick to match the X3, which I have my doubts about :(
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    Not surprised one bit. I bet within a few years every Acura will be AWD; first the RL, then it will trickle down to lesser Acuras, the TL being the next in line.

Some time ago someone from Acura said that AWD on future Acuras will help differentiate Acuras from Hondas. So no, I'm not surprised.

Bob
  • Hey folks:
    Its just a matter of time baesd on these comments from an Acura exec. Also, let's hope they keep the manual transmission available for a hybrid/awd TL -- we'll be plenty sad if the stick is unavailable.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_acura_hybrid_definitely/index.htm

Cheers,
  • jd55jd55 Posts: 4
    I thought that might happen. When I spoke to a salesman, he assured me that this is not the case. (Ha! Ha!) In any event I plan on going for a 27 month lease, that way the AWD TL will be out for a year, and some initial demand may die down.

Thanks for the info.
  • does anyone know when the new one might come out because iam interested in buying a 05 but if the new one comes out soon i will wanna get that one :P :confuse:
  • Historically, new model year vehicles typically enter the market in August, I believe. In light of the fact that the 2006 may be equipped with AWD, I may have to wait and buy/lease a 2006. The challenge is that my current Lexus lease terminates (after they agreed to buy me out of my current lease due to the many issues with my ES330) towards the end of May. I would have to figure-out what to do for 2-3 months. Any ideas?">
  • consult77consult77 Posts: 26
    In searching the Internet, it appears that Acura's yearly new product anoucements have been about September 1st. I would suppose that the 2006's will start to arrive after that time. My guess is that it will take a month or so before good numbers are available. September is quite some time from now.
    Most leases will let you extend for 2 or 3 months. Would that be a workable option for you?
    I just extended the lease on my '03 3.2 TL. I stretched mine for 6 months so I'll be able to check out the '06 TL. I'm almost positive they let you extend for 18 months. That number sticks in my head. All they make you do is pay the taxes on the extended months up front. At least here in New York, Honda Credit made me pay the taxes for the extra months first. It's a really easy thing to do, no hassles at all. Do any of you have any ideas on what might be some of the new changes, if any? I've heard all kinds of rumors on the TL forum called Acurazine, but that's just what they are...rumors.
    But you should try to avoid a long extension because it is not to your advantage, since you're paying the higher payments. For example, if you hada 36-month lease but extended by 12 months, that would mean you made the (higher) payments from a 36-month lease on what turned out to be a 48-month lease.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    Rent a car (you could have some fun...rent a Mustang one week, a 300 the other etc).

Borrow a car from family/friend...may have issues here.

Car pool...
    That's not actually a bad idea. You know, you don't really need a car 24/7. You might end up renting a car only 2 -3 days out of a week. And as you said, it's an opportunity to sample different cars. Look at it as doing extended test drives.
  • sjavasjava Posts: 2
    I'm curious to see how much the weight will increase with the SH-AWD feature. TL is already a heavy sedan to begin with. I hope they will use exotic material more to shave more weight.
    I wonder if I could have a show of cyber hands as to how many current TL owners would strongly consider trading their TL in for a 2006 TL SH-AWD, if, lets say, the price premium is no more than 10%.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I know what AWD means, but what does SH mean?
    SH = Super Handling. That's what Acura calls the AWD system on the '05 RL. And according to industry rumours, that system is supposed to be made available for the '06 TL.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I would love to trade my '04 TL for an '06 one with AWD but I would expect that it would cost me maybe around $7K or $8K to do so. Too much. I sure would do it for $3 to $4K!
    After reading many posts in different forums concerning the Acura TL for '04-'05, I'm starting to get a bit worried about the quality of these cars. I drive an '03 3.2TL, and really haven't had much trouble with it. It seems like the more I read, the more I'm reading negative reports on the new TL. Between rattles, squeaks, lousy tires, bad fit and finish, and the list goes on and on. I was all set to buy the '06 TL when it becomes available, but now I'm not so sure. I really think that Honda should clean up it's act and try and get back to the quality they are known for. This seems to be an issue that is becoming more and more of a problem. I could see if it was a once in awhile post about something wrong with the car, but it seems that these negative posts are all over the place. Of course there are problems with all cars, but for $35,000 you would think that most of the problems would be worked out before the cars are made. I'm really up in the air about the '06 model. I hope that Honda has been listening to the negative talk about these cars, and does whatever it takes to get the quality back to where it was. I've started test driving some other cars, and have had some really good feedback from these drives. Like I said earlier, this has become a very bad situation for the TL, and I hope they can fix things before the new models are released.
    My guess is that the price premium would not be that big, in view of what Infiniti charges for the AWD version of the G35.
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Posts: 56
    Yes. I would trade my '04 for one with SH-AWD. I know the trade-in value is strong, so it would depend on the SH-AWD price premium. It would much improve the handling characteristics. Even with VSA, there is too much torque steer with hard acceleration on the current model.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    another options is that there are websites for people looking to get out of leases early for various reasons. You get to see what payments they are making, what mileage they have, how much time iseft, etc. Don't know if you can find 1 for 3 mos, but it might be worth a shot.

My favorite of these sites is called "leasetrader" - I think it's related to "AutoTrader" - the free magazine where people list cars for sale.
    "Making the TL AWD would essentially make the RL obsolete"

This statement is a little drastic. The RL also has more hp, more lux features (including tying real-time traffic reports in with the nav system) and has a softer ride. I bought my TL used from a guy who said the ride was too harsh - he wanted the softer RL ride. Now if they also gave the TL a "touring" option that softened the suspension...
    I wouldn't trade mine in for AWD b/c I live in FL - no snow to deal with. The only benefit I see in AWD is a reduction of torque steer. I can tell that as the years go by, torque steeer on my TL is going to be annoying. Thus, wouldn't trade in for it, but at the end of my lease, it might be reason for me to stick with the TL line.
  • Let's just hope that the '06 introduces sh-awd to the TL...its much needed for true sport handling. Torque Steer just won't cut it with serious drivers.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I have a 2004 TL 6-speed and I would NOT trade it in for a 2006/7 with SH-AWD. If the 2006/7 TL came with RWD, I might consider it.

The TL does exhibit the usual handling limitations of FWD cars - torque steer and heavy front weight bias. It's a very respectable FWD sport sedan, but it's no sports car.

However, I for one have driven the new RL extensively and I came away relatively unimpressed. I am no Mario Andretti, but the Acura RL is no BMW 5-series sport sedan when it comes to handling. The extra weight of the RL (outweighs the 545i 6-speed by approximately 200 lbs) completely offsets the nominal increase in horsepower the RL has over the TL. And the front weight bias remains.

I know that some would consider me old fashioned for favoring RWD over SH-AWD. However, I would respectfully suggest they consider the concept that more technologically complex isn't necessarily better. The weight advantage of RWD and ability to achieve a near 50/50 balance with RWD is a significant advantage in the 5 series handling over the TL, IMO. And for anyone thinking that SH-AWD handling is better in the snow, it's still go "performance" rubber. The RL is no MDX, either.
This discussion has been closed.