Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2006+

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    I guess obsolete would be a bit dramatic, your right. What I meant was Acura needs to offer something more that the TL doesn't, which up until now was the SH-AWD. Now other than ride and interior volume (which isn't much more than the TL) the RL ($50k) has the RT traffic for what I predict will be 10k more than AWD TL ($38k). That wouldn't be enough to justify the RL.
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    They should put 3.5 litre 300 hp V6 into TL and a V8 engine (buy the current 4.3 from Toyota if they cannot build one) into RL. Otherwise Infiniti will eat Acura alive.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..Otherwise Infiniti will eat Acura alive.

I'll take issue with that comment. The last thing Acura needs to worry about is losing sales to Infiniti. Why, because they are just too damn ugly and their ergonomics suck. And this comes from someone who loves (and kept) his 11 year old 1995 Maxima SE after buying a 2004 TL.

I had an hour to kill yesterday and, since the Porsche dealership was closed, stopped by the Infiniti showroom to see the newly facelifted G35 (or new M45). On paper, the G35 sounds great. Available with 6-speed, 298 horsepower, RWD, good handling, etc. But in person, it has more rough edges than a broken beer bottle. Wide chrome strips around the windows, tacky interior with Toy's-R-Us buttons on the steering wheel and console, power seat buttons located on the console side of the drivers seat, etc.

If I were blind, the G35's faults would all go away. But blind people don't drive and it would be good for Infiniti to take that into account when designing its cars and thier interiors. It looks like they hired too many disgruntled GM employees.
    Honda can definitely build a V8, it's just that they choose not to. And while I think that Toyos 4.7l V8 is an excellent motor, I don't see Honda buying them from Toyota, they're major cross-town rival. I do agree that a Honda V8 would quell alot of the negativity people have towards the RL compared to the competition.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Eventually Honda will bow to public pressure and introduce a V8. It took them awhile to put a V6 in the Accord, years after Camry, Maxima had V6's. For some reason, Honda seems slow to change directions. :confuse: Call it philosophical, or ideological inertia, if you will.
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    I totally agree with you about the Nissan's styling:
    I have been trying to warm up to the G for about a year now and I can't get pass the styling.
    The Q is a remarkable IMHO- but for some reason it does no sell- go figure.
  • stickymanstickyman Posts: 53
    I have the same concerns that you have. I believed that the 05 is much improved but the attitude of Honda/Acura Customer Service sure leaves alot to be desired from me. An 06 with SH-AWD, if available (no one knows for sure), will cost more and the question is what can you get for the dollars with other auto makers??
    I'm leaning towards the new Avalon right now :confuse:
    The Q does not sell because it has absolutely forgettable styling. To this day I cannot conjure up in my mind what the car looks like.
    The Avalon?? If you are under 70 years old, it is the perfect cure for insomnia. Even the Washington Post's Warren Brown - not exactly a Mario Andretti - referred to the Avalon as the ultimate Japanese Buick in his review a couple of weeks ago.

I have owned two Toyota Supras in the past, and used to believ that Toyota was at or near the king of the hill when it comes to Japanese quality. But Toyota no longer makes even a "sporty sedan", let alone a true sports sedan or sports car. It has become the quitensential GM of Japan. Hell, the FWD TL 6-speed is more fun to drive and feels tighter than the new Lexus GS.

And, worse, Toyota / Lexus quality has slipped, IMO, to well below Honda/Acura. I know they still rate highly on JD Powers and Consumer Reports. But check out Edmunds boards on the GX470 which we considered before going with an Acura MDX. We have friends who had theirs bought back from Lexus under a lemon law threat after it had an incurable drivetrain vibration that has been around since the vehicle was introduced in 2003.

I am not sure what attitude of Acura customer service you were referring to. I have been reasonably satisfied. When I had a minor problem with my 2002 Honda S2000, I got follow-up phone calls from Honda North America executive to make sure it had been taken care of.

Regardless of a preference for Toyota or Acura customer service, it would be a cold day in you know where before I'd be driven away from Acura and end up with a frumpy Avalon in my driveway. Hell, you could drop a 400 hp V8 in that car and it would still have all the appeal of a Buick Regal to me.
    But like habitat mentioned, there really is no character to Toyota.

"But Toyota no longer makes even a "sporty sedan", let alone a true sports sedan or sports car. It has become the quitensential GM of Japan. Hell, the FWD TL 6-speed is more fun to drive and feels tighter than the new Lexus GS."

Wow, That's really saying something. The TL is more enjoyable than the GS? That's a big compliment to Acura, that's for sure. And all the while, I was getting ready to compare the TL to the new IS! :shades:
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    Actually, the Avalon got good reviews from Edmunds. It's not an exciting car, but it's a powerful, large sedan that's more luxurious than the others in its class. Anyone in the sedan market who's not interested in a sporty ride should check it out. I'd also advise those individuals to avoid the TL and Infiniti G & M - probably too harsh a ride.
    Don't get me wrong, the new GS is an improvement over the old. But it's still far cry from a BMW 5-series in steering and handling. And I strongly prefer the Acura's 6-speed manual transmission to the automatic in the GS.

I have stated before that I believe Lexus has punted all serous driving enthusiasts over to BMW (and, to a lesser extent Acura and Infiniti). If you look at their priorities, they appear more interested in achieving perfect stitching in the leather seats than precise handling or steering. The lone Lexus IS will never get my attention as anything other than a boy racer that somehow accidentally found it's way into the Lexus line-up. Perhaps unduly harsh, but I'm too old to be seen in a car like that, so I have never given it much attention.
    Even stodgy Warran Brown had trouble with the Avalon's interior invoking a 70+ age demographic. Just because you might not want as sporty of a ride and handling as a TL or 5-series doesn't mean that you like Buick style dashboards to go along with the softer ride. I may be 25 years too old to want to be seen in a boy racer Lexus IS or Subaru WRX, but as I approach 50, I realize that I'm never going to be old enough to feel comfortable in an Avalon. I'd object to one being in my funeral procession.
  • stickymanstickyman Posts: 53
    As I said in my posting, I'm leaning towards the Avalon. I can tell that you have not called Acura and spoke to anyone concerning the vibration issue or about the rattles in the driver side pillar. Give them a call and let me know what they tell you; it will be something like: That is normal or we haven't heard anything about a vibration issue. The last thing I want to do right now is purchase a $35,000.00 car and have issues that the customer service people won't listen too or don't have a fix for. At this point and time, I'm not sure if anyone has a "Perfect" car or what exactly is a true "Sport/Lux" car....my two cents on sunny Wednesday :)
    But you know, ALL car manufacturers will give you the "It's normal" line until they are cornered to the point where they can no longer deny the problem. The Toyota sludge issue was a classic example. Toyota initially not only denied responsibility, they actually blamed owners for the problem! :mad:

And habitat is right about Toyota's mission statement being to produce perfectly assembled snooze-mobiles.
  • danny1878danny1878 Posts: 339
    If the dealer hasnt heard anything about vibration maybe bcuz it doesnt happen to every TL . Mine is an 04 w/o nav with no vibration or rattle.

I've never doubted that first year products might have those kind of problems (that might goes with 1st year new-avalon as well) but the percentage is very small(less quantity to produce usually means better quality). TL sells more than G35, ES or 3 series maybe they missed one ot two. Besides all magazine reviews, CR and road tests never show any complaint about rattle/vibration. Yes that doesnt mean that all TL are problems free. But hey not all cars are perfect. Have you seen other brand's problem and solution board?

If you look at the problems n solution board, you will notice that only a few people that keep complaining and whining all the time. Again and again. Can you be so sure that they're not the same person with multiple usernames, I have seen people who doesnt own a TL, own a BMW but complaining about the TL or acting like he/she own a problematic TL? people who own previous TLthat has a wel-known tranny problem? other car's salesman? extended warranty salesman? people who would like to upgrade their old TL with a new one for free?(possibilities .. possibilities)

Dont get me wrong, it doesnt mean that their complaints arent real.

Some1 asked as in a poll question :'Does your TL has vibration issue' in the problem and solution's board (assuming most people with no problem wont vote in this board of problems, right), but the majority favors "Nope my TL doesnt have that issue". People with no car's problem usually dont go to that board

Avalon is a very fine choice, yes its a Toyota but I dont mind having one to replace my wifes accord.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Hey guys,

I believe this discussion was set up to discuss the upcoming 2006 TL., not comparisons with other cars.

Most of the above discussions should be on other threads. This one is for what (if anything) people have heard or know or been told (or maybe want) will be on the 06 TL when it is available in the fall. (Any changes or modifications or additions to the current model.)

IMO this is why the thread was started. ???????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Yes, please - there are plenty of comparison discussions that include the current TL. This one should be focused on features and pricing of the upcoming TL, which we can't compare to anything since it's not yet available. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jimh615jimh615 Posts: 2
    Thank you....I came to this site for a look into the future of the TL, not comparisons of current models; and boring comparisons with 'duh' like conclusions at that!!!. Please let's stick with the catagory.
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    I've been trying to get my wife to switch from Camry for many years (she's owned nothing but since 1985). The only way will be if Acura TL comes out with AWD.
    I'd be willing to pay for the upgrade to SH-AWD but don't want to get into the stratushere ie: 40+ for this vehicle. You see my wife doesn't have the same affinity for cars that I do, so Acura luxury would be somewhat of a waste on her.

I have a 2002 MDX and while I like the convenience of an SUV (I've owned three different models Jeep Grand Cherokee(ugh), RX300 and the MDX) the SUV thing is starting to wear thin. I could do with a nice sporty AWD coupe. So when will Acura bring back the CL?
    I don't think you'd see another coupe anytime soon. The market just doesn't seem to have sufficient appetite for a coupe, especially the type of coupes that Honda puts out, which are more 2-dr. sedans than pure sports coupe ala G35 Coupe.

On a separate note, I know with high gas prices, SUV ownership could be painful, but I think an SUV plus a sedan is a nice family combo. I had to haul a couple of small trees in planters home last weekend in my TL, and it wasn't much fun, for me nor for the car! :sick:
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    I know what you mean about the hauling ability of my MDX, I was in a similar situation last weekend at the local Home Depot and I was thankful I had the cargo space of the MDX. That was NOT the case with the RX300, by the way.

But back to the original question, do we know, with any degree of certainty, that Acura will put AWD in the TL next year or as an early '07?

P.S. I realize that my fantasy of an AWD Coupe is just that in today's market.
    No, unfortunately, I can't say that with any degree of certainty. It is strictly a guesstimate on my part. Honda is typically so tight-lipped about new products that I'm not even sure sales people know any more than us folks.

BTW, you could get an AWD coupe. Porsche still sells an AWD version of the 911 Carrera, do they not? :D
  • jd55jd55 Posts: 4
    Go to any auto forum regardless of the car or make, and you will find folks who have had problems. They usually represent a disproportionate number of people when compared to the entire population of that particular car. I wouldn't be particularly discouraged. I've had a new Mercedes and a new Lexus and have had varying degrees of problems with both. (More so with the Mercedes!) I drove the TL and I know that this will be my next car. It really is a great car for the money!
  • tawneycattawneycat Posts: 114
    I imagine since I just bought a 05, Acura will make slight styling changes, loose the Bridgestones, add VCM and a few horsepower. It would explain the near invoice pricing found on the 05's right now.
  • raharris1raharris1 Posts: 10
    ...I would consider trading for an '06 with AWD. I had an old Eagle Talon with turbo and AWD and loved it. The only thing I don't like about my '04 TL is the FWD. My most recent car prior to the TL was a '96 328, and I have to admit I miss the handling of the Bimmer. I hope at least a portion of that is due to the TL's FWD.
  • drcohendrcohen Posts: 20
    If you follow the Honda Mfg. cycle, there should be a few "cosmetic changes", perhaps in the front fascia and maybe slight taillight look. Color is also a maybe, one or two new. A gain in HP by 10-15, AWD could be in the cards, possible. I wanted so see (like the TSX) the turn signal in the RWM enclosure and it may happen in 06.
    But keeping with Honda and the previous TL cycle, that should be about it.

You think?

David
    With the G35 at 290hp right now, I would expect Honda to follow up with maybe another 10 for the TL through better breathing, timing adjustments, etc. but not too much to overshadow the RL in power (Not that the overall package doesn't come close to overshadowing already). As for AWD, I'm thinking '07 personally, since the RDX will be out so soon showcasing the SH-AWD for '06 model year (Along with the RL of course).

I would like to see a more creative wheel design with the TL revisions as well as 1 or 2 new color choices. Just not the Electric Blue, Please. I absolutely love the Redondo Red on the TL!
    I love the current wheel design! :shades:

I fact, overall, I hope they don't tweak the styling too much, if at all.

I think if they up the HP, it will be done in conjunction with AWD. The current FWD is doing all it can to handle the 270 HP.
    Well at least with the current wheel design, they are easy to clean. I don't hate the 5-spoke design, but it reminds me to much of an old IROC Camaro, if that makes any sense... :confuse: I love the A-spec wheels and if I were going to buy a TL, I would opt for those instead. I would actually opt for the A-spec package if I could get it without the body kit... :(

- Waiting for an SH-AWD TL 6-spd with A-spec kit (sans the skirts) in Redondo red with Camel interior and Nav... :shades:
This discussion has been closed.