Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Welcome to the forum. Be sure and get back to us with what they find is wrong. That will make this a good database for troubles that are encountered.
  • richburkrichburk Posts: 2
    Roadside assistance shows up. Pops the hood and checks the battery terminals first. Something that I should think that the Ford mechanics could have checked. He found one of the terminals loose. He tightened it and it started right up. He said that the car battery controls the internal electronics while the hybrid battery controls the electric engine.

So I am happy again.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    rich... reading you problem a few posts up, i went through the same thing years ago with one of my wife's cars. glad to see it is resolved. maybe the tech was so afraid of being electrocuted, they disconnected the battery.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    " maybe the tech was so afraid of being electrocuted, they disconnected the battery."

Pretty stupid tech then, the two electrical systems are independent...
  • ...29 mpg is about it....in my experience. I got my Escape Hybrid in Nov of '04 I think the best I've ever seen the readout say is 31.

Have you had any problems with your rear brakes making noise? I've had my in the shop now twice for problems they haven't been able to fix.

Erin
  • talariatalaria Posts: 16
    I did not want this issue to get mixed in with the noise coming from the right rear wheel posted above.

I am curious if I am the only one that thinks the gas engine kicks in too quickly upon acceleration.

Unless I press the accelerator VERY,VERY, VERY gently and creep away the gas engine turns on. I am not one of those persons that stomp on the gas and race to the next light. But it is ridiculous to creep away slower than I can walk for a substantial distance in order to stay in electric mode until 25 MPH, somtimes plus, is reached. I do my best to ignore the other drivers honking and sometime yelling while I try to stay in electric mode.

Perhaps this is a programing error. But it can't be right. My neighbor has a Toyota Prius and can accelerate at a reasonable, not fast, but reasonable rate and stay on electric.
    "Perhaps this is a programing error. But it can't be right. My neighbor has a Toyota Prius and can accelerate at a reasonable, not fast, but reasonable rate and stay on electric."

The Toyota Prius is a much lighter car. You are driving a 700 extra pound SUV. It takes HP to get that much metal going.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    I do my best to ignore the other drivers honking and sometime yelling

That kind of driving will have more of a negative impact on the hybrids than you may think. I was stuck for several miles behind a hybrid Escape going up Interstate 8 a few months ago. Traffic was flowing 75-80 MPH and this person was going 45 in the right lane. I thought it was all the faster the car was capable of going until I found out it was some kook trying to save a few ounces of gas. I can appreciate your trying to get the best mileage from your car. Just not where it impedes the normal flow of traffic.
  • stevewastevewa Posts: 203
    "Staying on electric" is not always the most efficient mode to drive. If you spend a lot of time in electric you will end up having to pay that back by running the engine to recharge. If the engine is idling to recharge it's much less efficient than it is when at a slightly higher RPM to move the vehicle and recharge at the same time.

My advice, don't worry about it unless your vehicle is not shutting down the engine at all.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    I guess you are impressed by Escape hybrid so you, CRV owner, comes here and participate. :)

What are you planning, sell your CRV and buy one of these puppies. ;)
    "What are you planning, sell your CRV and buy one of these puppies."

I would consider that, except for a couple of issues:

1. New Ford Model year. I will wait a couple of years before I consider it. Having read some of the problems being encountered with the transmission, I think it is a wise choice.
    2. My CR-V is not paid for.
    3. Escape Hybrid is too expensive for what you get.
    4. My CR-V will get 26-27 MPG at 80 MPH, which isn't too far off of the EH at 32 MPG.
    5. I prefer the design of the CR-V (as I think you already know)
  • diobolikdiobolik Posts: 2
    hey memphismike i hade a problem with my escape took it to the dealer they said that there was nothing wrong with it so i took it to a shop locally they diag. the car and found the problem. so i went back to the dealer to get the part myself because it was simple enough i could have done it and then they wanted an outrageous price for it. cheched it out online and found that link title the part was exceptionally cheaper. I purchased part had it shipped to me and it was still cheaper then walking into the dealership. you should check it out if you know where the part was if not they even had an area where you could aska technician a question and they will respond back to you maybe that would be an avenue for you. i think you should seriously check them out. :shades:
  • yspinneryspinner Posts: 1
    I have a Ford 2001 Escape and it shut down after a minute of driving. The horn blows, the lights work, the radio works, the air condition works, the wipers work, but the engine would not roll over. I replaced the battery, checked the starter, and the clutch switch and they are all okay. The lights on the dash board comes on but the engine does not roll over. I am on a remote Island in The Bahamas and need some help in resolving this problem?
  • Has anybody figured out if you can hardwire satellite radio into the nav/audio unit on the 05's.
    Not and have the track/station info on the display.

It's possible to use an adapter like PIE's X3 and be able to inject a line-level audio signal on the CD-changer input, but you have to keep a CD in the changer at all times as the head unit doesn't know what you're up to.
  • Thanks for the info. I am going to try a DEI FM modulator relay I found info on via google. It plugs in via the car's FM radio input. When the Sat. radio powers on it shuts down the FM ant. reception and gives a clean input into the car radio via the FM input port. Of course I'll still have to control the Sat radio via it's controls.

The PIE wire is a good idea though and does work on the Hybrid (i checked with them). I do not want to have the CD spining all the time while I listen to Sat radio, which would be most of the time.

I am hoping to run an ipod through the same FM modulator.
    I have PIE's new adapter for the iPod. It takes the place of the CD changer completely (you unplug the cable at the CD changer and plug it into the iPod.

The sound quality is excellent and it does charge the iPod battery. Since the adapter has to fake the head unit into thinking your iPod is a 6-disc CD changer, the controls are a little convoluted...still no track data and the iPod display is not active when plugged in. However, it does work.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 132
    No Escapes have ever been built with cabin air filters...they have to be installed post-purchase by the owner, either from the dealer or by yourself--a five minute job by the way.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 132
    That is very close to the normal I4 Escape, especially for the highway mileage. But then you are making history in an experimental vehicle. Over time, they will probably make the next generation of hybrids better on gas mileage, Toyota has. My neighbor's CRV gets around 30MPG on highway mileage. Myself, I have a 2005 Accord I4 that gets 25-28 MPG around town and as high as 35 on a trip. with the gas prices going through the cealing I would expect mileage will improve a;ll around in the next few years as manufacturers respond to the high price of gasoline.
  • I own a 2005 Ford Escape XL, 2.3 engine and auto trans. When I accelerate the AC cuts out and fan blows hot air. I turned it in to the dealer for warranty repair thinking it would be an easy repair. The symptoms indicated that there was a vacuum leak. The dealer had the vehicle for four days and said that this is normal operation for the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). I asked the service dept to provide me with a service bulletin that stated that the PCM module was designed to shut off the compressor during acceleration. It has been two months and I am still waiting for the serivce bulletin. Has anyone else had this problem?
This discussion has been closed.