Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Tiburon

bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Rumor is the next-gen Tiburon will be rear-wheel drive with part-time AWD, styling cues from the HCD-8 concept, the 3.3 and 3.8 Lambda V6s as engine choices, and the retractable hardtop from the Tiburon CCS as an option.

Comments

• herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Where'd you hear this? This would definitely be a total departure from the current Tiburon!
    Wooow. Very interesting. And I've always thought the HCD-8 concept looked amazing. I'm excited now!
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Well I hope they lower the door window sills some six inches. I am sure that is but a dream. We seem to be stuck with turtle shell cars, which have but an ever so slight sighting of the drivers head peaking out. Turtle cars. That said, a very good rendition.
    Loren
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    this news was confirmed at the Seoul Motor Show 2005.

a high level hyundai representative surprised journalist by actually admitting that there was indeed a rwd sports car in developement. they want to create a 'halo' car to increase the awareness of hyundai as well as to create younger generation hyundai fans. we should be seeing more concepts of this vehicle in motor shows in 2006 and see the car debut sometime in 2007.

this means that the tiburon will move upmarket to compete with the likes of mazda rx8, nissan z, mustang, etc.

meanwhile, there will be a fwd sonata. and rumors is that there's another coupe slotted below the sonata based off the accent platform.

exciting time, yes.
    Am I to assume the Tiburon will be hiked into the $25K range? If so, I'll pass. You feel like you are in a submarine with those too tall doors anyway. The Mustang under $20K looks like a best deal. It should be interesting to see how Tibi and Solstice Hardtop will compete with each other. If they come in under $20K, they both will sell well. Turtle cars, with little heads sometimes showing, and never an arm in view - how strange a world this is.
    Loren
    Uh, if they're completely changing the car, I don't see why you just assume it'll still have "too tall doors." Hopefully it won't, but it wouldn't affect sales either way. Look at the Chrsler 300 - abysmal visibility, awkward to put your arm out, but no one seems to care.
  • lazy redlazy red Member Posts: 2
    Turtle cars? My wife is 5'3" and she sits with shoulders easily above the door frame and she has no problem with visibility nor do I. I am 5' 9" We like the doors the way they are as it they feel more secure, and with tinted glass you can't see inside anyway. If you want to feel more open rather than in a cockpit you should try a convertible. Totally different. If Hyundai turns out a rag top Tib I'll definitely be interested.
    Well, I guess you do adapt to the armor personal doors rising up to meet your shoulders. I test drove the Tiburon, and it was not bad overall. I do own a Miata, which has a great door window sill height for resting your elbow on, and the view of the road rushing by gives one a sense of real speed. Yes, I am sure the too high doors are safer, as protection from those nasty SUV and trucks which sit up far higher than cars. It is still a sad day for motoring, when we are forced to armor ourself as an only defence, just because we choose to drive a car rather than a road tank. I also own a Corolla, which is a 1998 model, with lower windows sills. Look at the new one, and you see the too tall doors, and too tall car. Looks like cars are going vertical - which is not a good thing. Roll overs every day in my area. They say that roll-over accidents are more rare, but I watch the reports come in on the Internet for the CHP site, and can easily count a couple a day is the immediate area. Hyundai better take it slow when thinking premium car line products, at a premium price. While people are somewhat getting over the earliest car memories of Hyundai's sold in USA, I am sure they will not pay as much for a Korean car as they do a Japan make. If it is RWD and sells under $20K, I would consider it. The current reliability record for Hyundai is pretty good, but the five to ten year reliability is yet to be proven excellent.
    Loren
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Hey folks,

Witness here the first '08 Tiburon-replacement spy shot.

The image is small and grainy, but I figured you all would appreciate seeing it anyway. ;)
    Enjoy!

Mike
  • shirellshirell Member Posts: 1
    As for current reliability my 1997 tiburon still looks new and has about 230.000 miles on it. Never had any major problems with the vehicle. I just replaced the alternator for the first time three weeks ago and the clutch is still original. There's no oil leaks under the vehicle and the only gasket ever to be replaced was the valve cover gasket which I replaced at 198.000 miles when I installed a custom valve cover. All I do is change the oil and keep the vehicle tuned up. Every year I test drive a new Tiburon hoping that I will buy a new one but I can't seem to give up the one I have. Love that car!
    From the information available to me at this time, the following image appears to be legit (the second one down):

RWD Hyundai

Mike
    That was a joke.

;)

Mike
  • streamfxstreamfx Member Posts: 1
    Today I spent the day installing a remote car starter from DEI.. The system uses the existing security/keyless entry that is factory builtin. It works well. However we have one issue that we had to work around. To remote start the car from my hyundai supplied remote. I have to press "unlock-lock-unlock".. and then lock again if I want my doors to be locked while running the car.

Heres why:

The security system in the santa Fe is set so that when you press lock on the Keychain it sends a lock to the doors, if you hit the lock button again, only the hazards flash, it already knows the doors are locked again and does not send another pulse to the motors to make sure the doors are locked.

This is why I had to use the U-L-U (unlock-lock-unlock) sequence. We used two diodes from the unlock-lock motars to the input on the DEI. I was hoping to use a L-L-L sequence to start the car. But the motors only get one lock pulse.

Do you know if there is a way to reprogram the car's system to always send a lock pulse to the doors when you hit the lock on the keychain? I couldnt find out the details on the hmaservice site. Just wish we could use a simple L-L or a L-L-L sequence. Thought about wiring the DEI input to the hazard flashes, but wouldnt that be funny if someone set off the car alarm and the car started! Or if I put on the hazards, the car would start.

But on a side note it is working. I have a 2002 2.7L santa fe and a 2004 3.5L santa fe and they both work great! Only took me about 2 hours per car.

Any suggestions on how to get the factory security to always send lock pulses to the doors would be great!

Thanks
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    They play games with your figures and money. Watch out for window etching, dmv fees, doc fees, and even warranty paperwork.(they not associated with Flemington Car & Truck country). Had a bad experience with them this month.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    Try the Sante Fe forum.

Uplifted from a post on U.K.H.C.C. Forums :-
    {World scoop: Hyundai confirms its next-gen Tiburon coupe will be rear-wheel drive!}

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 29 April 2005

"FUTURE Driven" Hyundai will abandoning front-wheel drive for its next Tiburon.

Due to be unveiled towards the end of 2007 before a local debut the following year, the rear-wheel drive coupe will be a "serious sports car", according to a senior Hyundai Motor Company executive.

Although details are scant, it is believed the Tiburon replacement will be a three-door coupe featuring many of the styling cues as well as the general proportions displayed on the HCD-8 Concept Car, which made its global debut at the 2004 Detroit motor show and has since appeared in Melbourne.
    ..... (This is the yellow car featured in the banner of this Forum)......Nick.

The HCD-8, as it stands, is powered by an aftermarket-supercharged version of a current 2.7-litre Delta DOHC V6 with a six-speed manual gearbox.

However, variations of Hyundai's new-generation 3.3 and 3.8-litre V6 engines are expected to debut in the 2+2 seater sports car, with the latter one likely to be the range-topper.

"Yes, we are developing rear-wheel drive for the next sports car," was the surprising response from Hyun Soon Lee, Executive Senior Vice President for Hyundai Motor Corporation.

This remark came after a suggestion from the gathered press at the opening of the 2005 Seoul motor show in South Korea that the company seek the passionate sports car route to increase its global youth appeal, rather than simply focus on quality.

Mr Lee's remark even caught out other Hyundai executives.

It is a surprising development for a model that started out as the very unsporty two-door derivation of the front-wheel drive Hyundai X2 Excel of 1990 called the S-Coupe.

That car's predecessor jumped up to the 1995 J2 Lantra platform to become the SX, FX and SFX Coupe until the current, sharper - but still front-wheel drive - Tiburon came into the fray in 2002.

A rear-wheel drive sports car is in line with Hyundai's desire to push its vehicles further upmarket.

Such a model willl probably share many components with a rear-wheel drive sedan in much the same way that Nissan's 350Z has spawned a range of mostly-US market Infinity products such as the G35.

There has been speculation for some time that Hyundai was considering releasing a luxury line of vehicles above the current, Sonata-derived Grandeur - which has just had a complete makeover and is the star of Hyundai's stand at Seoul.

Adding further credence to Hyundai's sports image push is its re-entry into the World Rally Championship from 2008.

The company says it will field an all-wheel drive "sports car" very loosely derived from the yet-to-be released Accent replacement, the front-wheel drive MC4 small car.}

It looks as if the V6 Delta will be the shortest-lived engine in the Company`s history, as it is being supplanted by the new, advanced, V6 Lambda in all new models."
    Well the current 2006 model certainly looks better than the photo above. If they wish to add RWD, that would be welcomed. If anything, lower the door window sill a bit. It looks like those in the photo are yet higher, and thus the shrinking windows, and closed in feel, much like an army personal carrier.

What they have now is good. Tweak the V6 for another three miles per gallon, and maybe add the RWD. Of course if they go RWD the size will increase, but let's hope it doesn't get out of hand. Lightweight and not too large - please. And no wagon wheels, 16" to 18" max is fine.
    And keep the price sub $20K
    -Loren
    I'd rather see the front wheel drive stay since I live in Illinois where we can get some decent snow from time to time. I think for the engine the new sonata engine would be good. Just have the manual tranny option (and automatic as well) and make it 250lbs lighter then the Sonata,and you'll have a fast car.

The 06 Sonata does 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds, and that is with a automatic tranny. So, imagine what the tibby would do if lighter, and with a manual.
    Well perhaps I may be too quick to judge the new look, since it really hasn't been made yet. May be cool - who knows. And if not, the current one may be a good close-out buy. Wonder if they will run $2K to $3K off? I realize, with all the stuff these cars are loaded with, the price is pretty darn fair.

Wonder why the Tibi doesn't sell more? No Tibi car driving clubs? Maybe Hyundai should work on club sponsorship, and get that ball rolling - just a thought.
    -Loren
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    you must be out of your mind. that concept looks awesome!
    Well actually the grill area looks awkward, and the rest sporty streamline, yet kinda predictable. The typical flowing lines, with the too tall doors is not the best mix. Nothing wrong with having some glass area, and less steel around the middle, as in bulking up. Low and sleek is good. It may indeed look better when you actually see this car. In photos it is not as appealing to me as is the current model, which I think is one of the best efforts currently around the world for a stylish car and a lower price. The front, side and rear, all work together. While I am not a fan of the taller door window sills, it is not too much out of hand in the current model. Perhaps the next will be fine too - who knows. I noticed the Celicas have doors which are high around the shoulder area of the passengers, yet dip lower as they go towards the A pillar. This gives a little more open feel and so peripheral view of the road on each side. A good feel of speed, if nothing else.
    -Loren
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    I concur, larry1135.

I live in the Midwest , also.
    In our household, we prefer FWD,too. Have ever since we got our first FWD car, back in 1987.

Anyhow, there may be some good news: Kia is supposed to get a Sporty Car around 08-09)see future vehicles here on edmunds, and other sites).

I am guessing that if Hyundai goes upmarket, and RWD, then Kia's will take the Tibby's (FWD) place for small, affordable, sporty cars(as to differentiate the brands, even further apart, than they are today)?

I had read rumors of this Hyundai going AWD, also, or akin to the Talus(HCD-9, from the autoshows eariler this year).

Will have to wait for official word, i guess, to know 100% for sure.
    Wonder why the current Tiburon does not sell more? Doesn't seem to be advertised like the Sonata. Too bad, as it is one of the best looking cars in current production.

I have seen a few more pics of the concept car and it looked pretty good. Better at the different angles. RWD is a good thing, except as mentioned here in the forum, the snow conditions. What about cost. This upscale talk usually leads on to next level or two higher prices. The concept of a sports car, with a V6 and all the goodies selling as it does for under $20K is one I can embrace. I do hope they spare the Tiburon, even if they go on to build a new top of the line sports car.

Well, I suppose a last year of a model pricing may be a good $2K to $3K under current price. Wonder how parts would be some 10 years down the road, should a person decide to keep the little sport for friend down the road. Always thought about finding a perfect sports car and keeping it for years, though it never seems to happen. If you found say a Mustang or Vette thirty-five years ago, I suppose the parts can be found, or they are making up custom replacement parts. The Japan and Korean cars may be a different story??? OH heck, there is always the next best thing. I have a distant relative that has had one car for life - a VW. Yes, I couldn't make this stuff up. He drove it in school and is now in his late 50's or early 60's.
    -Loren
    If you find other pics of the Tiburon please post a link to it. :D
    more pics
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98349

I like it. Some things could change. Really do NOT care for too tall door window sills. Overall, it is pretty cool looking. That said, it is more typical of designs. The current one is just a marvelous use of lines, angles, curves, and proportions. An excellent design. The concept is interesting in some ways too.

If it is RWD, does not suffer first year release reliability woes, and sells around $21K, it is a winner. A smaller V6, like the 3.3 V6 for $21K and a 3.8 one with extras for $25K would be cool !
    - Loren
    Oh no, where are the gills? The Shark needs the gills!

The 2006 style is just perfect. Can't imagine anything better, though ya never know.

Now the 2007 (photo of yellow car) is very special indeed. Looks like another car. I assume it is another car, and the Tiburon stays in its current form or is discontinued for 2008???
    Is the show car with the adjustable ride height the same as the photo of the yellow car in photos here?
    -Loren
    Most magazines have the new Tiburon replacement slated for the 2007 model. Wonder if the RWD car is delayed. The time is near for '07 models, and not much new on a Tiburon replacement.
    -Loren
  • adrianatouadrianatou Member Posts: 1
    I am loving the new design!!! Does anybody know if they are planning on putting it in the market, and if so when that will happen?? Please let me know if you have any idea if this car will be out in the market. Thanks!
    ~Adrian~
  • ednardesednardes Member Posts: 5
    Hyundai sure has the looks down, but they just don't seem to get the fact that they could have their "Z-car/iconic sports car" just by giving the rear wheels power and 40 more hp... I admit the 05+ do look stunning... to a zenith that makes any more cosmetic tweaks useless without added powertrain substance.

The crossover Talus concept just signs Hyundais disintreast in their sports coupe, by letting the designers have abit of fun that could never-ever come to fruition.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Wha....?

Looks like an old Mitsu Eclipse to my untrained eye.....gag.
    I think it looks the same to me. Hard to tell really what it looks like from the photos. No fins -- why no gills.
    -Loren
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    we won't see the all new faster stronger version until 2008 or 2009
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    Are u sure those for next generation, cos it just luks like the current one.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I never said anything about next generation...actually I didn't say anything other than posting a few shots :)

To answer your question, yes, this is the upcoming a facelift...or, a mule for the next gen , you will find out soon which :)
    Well a nice tweak for the current rendition may be in the transmissions, to gain a couple to three MPG. The 3.3 engine would be good too. One or both, as long as it improves gas mileage for the GT. Overall, it is a pretty good package as is. There simply is no other car like it. Gone is the Celica, the Prelude, and many dealerships of Mitsubishi, so I would not jump in on an Eclipse. That said the Eclipse is kinda interesting looking, though it seems to look like it is gaining weight. I guess I have too with age. I think all the older models looked trimmer. Even the new Mustang is bigger. I test drove one and was not too impressed. Don't need the speedometer off my old '65 Mustang anyway ( what's up with that? ) The '60s where good times, as were some of the '70's but that was then and this is now. If I want true retro and nice '68 or '69 Stang or a Camaro or Malibu SS would do the trick.

I liked my Miata, but sold it last year. They are a wee bit too small. Will consider the Tib, or even a Sonata V6. Maybe they will make a coupe version some day? Wonder if we do see the larger sports car from Hyundai in 2007? Some list it as a possible for 2007 model year, as in coming out this year. I doubt that.
    -Loren
    Nice observations there. Eventually the 3.3L and/or 3.8L V6s would be dropped into the car, the question is when (most likely debuting with the next-gen). Imagine, even with the lower 3.3L V6, it would be a nice power upgrade; given the weight of the Tibby, 240+ hp easy!!
    The GTB , no not the MG GTB, the......
    Gran Tiburón Blanco, or GTB ? The Great White Shark.
    One mean fish there!
    -Loren
  • wylldsharkwylldshark Member Posts: 34
    Wicked name dude, GTB...but on another note, it is official: the 2007 Tiburon will be RWD with a HUGE [non-permissible content removed] engine, about 350HP+. How do I know? I work at a Hyundai dealership and I had to find out, cuz the Tibby is my fave car ever! I'm living a fanboy's dream, being around my fave cars all the time!!! :O D

But yeah, '07 will be the year of the killer shark, Hyundai's keeping it very hush-hush and under wraps so they can surprise everyone with the new halo car!
    Where are you located? The reason why I ask for your location is because I've been told there would be a facelift first (at least for the US market), and then (the much-touted RWD) next-gen Tibby comes on the market.
    Ok, here's the beef...we got back from a Hyundai Ride & Drive event for the new Santa Fe, Accent and Entourage, and I gotta lil more info on the new Tib! The next-gen Tib was supposed to debut in November this year at the Paris Auto Show, but strikes in Korea has delayed that debut until sometime around December. Production begins in January '07,should be in lots by Feb. The presentation said "Redesign and RWD" and HP is def 300, with a bigger 350HP as an option.
  • cyberpunk3cyberpunk3 Member Posts: 6
    A next generation Tiburon debuting at any month this year is highly questionable. I for one completely disagree.

It would be a huge waste of money to redesign both front and back lights, side garnish, offer two different alloy wheel designs, revised exhaust, front and back bumpers. The debut would be much too early and would cause customers to wait and not purchase the just refreshed Tiburon.

I think it will still be a while before Hyundai will create a worthy RWD Tiburon. And for the above post, the 2007 is only a facelift. The 2006 is a carryover and the current spy pics would suggest that the 2008 will be the soonest a new generation Tiburon will arrive.
    More info.... the new Tib coming out next year will also be the basis for a sport sedan along the same vein of the Talus concept earlier this year. That car should be out by '08, '09 at the latest and will be in competition with the Bimmer 760. There aren't any spy pics of the new Tib available anywhere yet, and the vehicle has been in development since the HCD8 concept debuted in '05. The Tiburon is 10 years old, it's time to unveil a real killer shark! It's late, and I have work tomorrow....at Hyundai! Goodnite.
  • diemusikdiemusik Member Posts: 12
    The photos are from a autoshow in China. I forgot the name. :confuse:

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Nice photos of the mild facelift for the '07 model.

I think that if THIS is supposed to be the 300+ hp RWD performance coupe long rumored, the crowds would be more than zero deep......
    Diemusik, thank you for those pics man! THIS IS the "NEW" TIB. YES it is 300HP RWD. Pretty slick isn't it? We are also awaiting a 4dr sedan with 330HP, it's slated for next year, also based off this styling as I previously noted. Man I get giddy thinking about coming off the line in this baby!
    I guess all of you are not sure and still debating whether the car in the pics is the new TB. The pics, I got them off from a Korean newspaper, said 2007 "Tuscani (Korean nanem for TB) F/L". So, chances are that this is just a facelift for not the "NEW" TIB. :blush: Check it out. It's in Korean, but you can't miss "F/L2". Ciao~ :)

http://bbs.chosun.com/bbs.cmessage.view.screen?bbs_id=20513005&message_id=359446- - - -

Some interesting pics of customized TBs. Maybe not for the purists~ :blush:

This discussion has been closed.