Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• you must be out of your mind. that concept looks awesome!
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Well actually the grill area looks awkward, and the rest sporty streamline, yet kinda predictable. The typical flowing lines, with the too tall doors is not the best mix. Nothing wrong with having some glass area, and less steel around the middle, as in bulking up. Low and sleek is good. It may indeed look better when you actually see this car. In photos it is not as appealing to me as is the current model, which I think is one of the best efforts currently around the world for a stylish car and a lower price. The front, side and rear, all work together. While I am not a fan of the taller door window sills, it is not too much out of hand in the current model. Perhaps the next will be fine too - who knows. I noticed the Celicas have doors which are high around the shoulder area of the passengers, yet dip lower as they go towards the A pillar. This gives a little more open feel and so peripheral view of the road on each side. A good feel of speed, if nothing else.
    -Loren
  • harrycheztharrychezt Posts: 405
    I concur, larry1135.

I live in the Midwest , also.
    In our household, we prefer FWD,too. Have ever since we got our first FWD car, back in 1987.

Anyhow, there may be some good news: Kia is supposed to get a Sporty Car around 08-09)see future vehicles here on edmunds, and other sites).

I am guessing that if Hyundai goes upmarket, and RWD, then Kia's will take the Tibby's (FWD) place for small, affordable, sporty cars(as to differentiate the brands, even further apart, than they are today)?

I had read rumors of this Hyundai going AWD, also, or akin to the Talus(HCD-9, from the autoshows eariler this year).

Will have to wait for official word, i guess, to know 100% for sure.
    Wonder why the current Tiburon does not sell more? Doesn't seem to be advertised like the Sonata. Too bad, as it is one of the best looking cars in current production.

I have seen a few more pics of the concept car and it looked pretty good. Better at the different angles. RWD is a good thing, except as mentioned here in the forum, the snow conditions. What about cost. This upscale talk usually leads on to next level or two higher prices. The concept of a sports car, with a V6 and all the goodies selling as it does for under $20K is one I can embrace. I do hope they spare the Tiburon, even if they go on to build a new top of the line sports car.

Well, I suppose a last year of a model pricing may be a good $2K to $3K under current price. Wonder how parts would be some 10 years down the road, should a person decide to keep the little sport for friend down the road. Always thought about finding a perfect sports car and keeping it for years, though it never seems to happen. If you found say a Mustang or Vette thirty-five years ago, I suppose the parts can be found, or they are making up custom replacement parts. The Japan and Korean cars may be a different story??? OH heck, there is always the next best thing. I have a distant relative that has had one car for life - a VW. Yes, I couldn't make this stuff up. He drove it in school and is now in his late 50's or early 60's.
    -Loren
  • larry1135larry1135 Posts: 43
    If you find other pics of the Tiburon please post a link to it. :D
    more pics
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98349

I like it. Some things could change. Really do NOT care for too tall door window sills. Overall, it is pretty cool looking. That said, it is more typical of designs. The current one is just a marvelous use of lines, angles, curves, and proportions. An excellent design. The concept is interesting in some ways too.

If it is RWD, does not suffer first year release reliability woes, and sells around $21K, it is a winner. A smaller V6, like the 3.3 V6 for $21K and a 3.8 one with extras for $25K would be cool !
    - Loren
    Oh no, where are the gills? The Shark needs the gills!

The 2006 style is just perfect. Can't imagine anything better, though ya never know.

Now the 2007 (photo of yellow car) is very special indeed. Looks like another car. I assume it is another car, and the Tiburon stays in its current form or is discontinued for 2008???
    Is the show car with the adjustable ride height the same as the photo of the yellow car in photos here?
    -Loren
    Most magazines have the new Tiburon replacement slated for the 2007 model. Wonder if the RWD car is delayed. The time is near for '07 models, and not much new on a Tiburon replacement.
    -Loren
  • adrianatouadrianatou Posts: 1
    I am loving the new design!!! Does anybody know if they are planning on putting it in the market, and if so when that will happen?? Please let me know if you have any idea if this car will be out in the market. Thanks!
    ~Adrian~
  • ednardesednardes Posts: 5
    Hyundai sure has the looks down, but they just don't seem to get the fact that they could have their "Z-car/iconic sports car" just by giving the rear wheels power and 40 more hp... I admit the 05+ do look stunning... to a zenith that makes any more cosmetic tweaks useless without added powertrain substance.

The crossover Talus concept just signs Hyundais disintreast in their sports coupe, by letting the designers have abit of fun that could never-ever come to fruition.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Wha....?

Looks like an old Mitsu Eclipse to my untrained eye.....gag.
    I think it looks the same to me. Hard to tell really what it looks like from the photos. No fins -- why no gills.
    -Loren
  • we won't see the all new faster stronger version until 2008 or 2009
  • aneeshaneesh Posts: 44
    Are u sure those for next generation, cos it just luks like the current one.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    I never said anything about next generation...actually I didn't say anything other than posting a few shots :)

To answer your question, yes, this is the upcoming a facelift...or, a mule for the next gen , you will find out soon which :)
    Well a nice tweak for the current rendition may be in the transmissions, to gain a couple to three MPG. The 3.3 engine would be good too. One or both, as long as it improves gas mileage for the GT. Overall, it is a pretty good package as is. There simply is no other car like it. Gone is the Celica, the Prelude, and many dealerships of Mitsubishi, so I would not jump in on an Eclipse. That said the Eclipse is kinda interesting looking, though it seems to look like it is gaining weight. I guess I have too with age. I think all the older models looked trimmer. Even the new Mustang is bigger. I test drove one and was not too impressed. Don't need the speedometer off my old '65 Mustang anyway ( what's up with that? ) The '60s where good times, as were some of the '70's but that was then and this is now. If I want true retro and nice '68 or '69 Stang or a Camaro or Malibu SS would do the trick.

I liked my Miata, but sold it last year. They are a wee bit too small. Will consider the Tib, or even a Sonata V6. Maybe they will make a coupe version some day? Wonder if we do see the larger sports car from Hyundai in 2007? Some list it as a possible for 2007 model year, as in coming out this year. I doubt that.
    -Loren
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Nice observations there. Eventually the 3.3L and/or 3.8L V6s would be dropped into the car, the question is when (most likely debuting with the next-gen). Imagine, even with the lower 3.3L V6, it would be a nice power upgrade; given the weight of the Tibby, 240+ hp easy!!
    The GTB , no not the MG GTB, the......
    Gran Tiburón Blanco, or GTB ? The Great White Shark.
    One mean fish there!
    -Loren
This discussion has been closed.