Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    PS: the 3.8L currently sits in the Azera has nothing to do with Mitsu's 3.8L

i belive he posted that just to show you what similar sized engines in a car that the tiburon would compete with puts out.

It's speculation at this point but considering the currnet Azera pumps out mid 260s, even putting the current generation Lambda (let alone the second gen) 3.8 in a much lighter car will give you more than 270+.

how does putting the engine into a different chassis suddenly make its hp numbers go up? you may have a faster car if the car its being put into weigh's less, but the only numbers that would change would be acceleration times; not hp figures. :blush: the engine would require RE TUNING.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Had the current generation of Lambda reside in the Tib, it would have been re-tuned and likely up there in the 270+ range. The second generation of Lambda debuting in both of its RWD applications (sedan + coupe) over the next year or two will have higher hp and improved F/E from Lambda II with direct injection. I am not telling you something that cannot be done. It will happen.
    where are you getting your info from? press releases? will you still visit this thread when it finally comes out and these words:

'It will happen.'

will be deemed useless?

yeah, the lambada engine pushing 270 in the current shark...what a nightmare of torque steer! they couldn't even really get the chassis tuned properly this time around with the v-6 currently in it!

but it is quite the looker.
  • jonnyleejonnylee Member Posts: 17
    Here are some new spyshots
    Here are some new spyshots
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    behind the front wheel wells! Looks good under guise anyway.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Frameless windows. Nice.
    not really, it makes for a louder interior.

thats why subbie moved away from em.
    can you say photoshop?

the shape is nice, a little lexusish (again hyundai's identity crisis comes into play) but the pic looks totally fake.
  • tgkoenigseggtgkoenigsegg Member Posts: 52
    Actually I think they could get 300 hp out of the 3.8L V6 because Honda could get 300 hp out of a 3.5L V6 and they have been doing well as of late
    looks great if it was going to be on the next gen shark if it was priced similarly. But 30K? sorry, this does not cut it.
    It may have a $30K MSRP but with all the rebates and incentives that Hyundai dealers have, it could go for around $25K for the V6
    It may have a $30K MSRP but with all the rebates and incentives that Hyundai dealers have, it could go for around $25K for the V6
    It's really a separate model from the Tib, technically.

Rumored base (I-4 turbo) will start in the low 20s, and the V6 model will start in the mid 20s, but it's all speculative at this point. If this is the range, it undercuts the competition by a whole lot.
    it very well may with those prices, but if hyundais reputation for offering a better priced alternative that doesn't really drive as well as the competition is carries on to this car, it wont even be worth the money it costs.

even the current tib is nothing to write home about from a performance standpoint. it does look great on the outside though.
    Except the current Tib does drive well and has the fun factor, as I recently had the opportunity to drive a 6-spd Tib for a few days. Not measuring to competition? It certainly does to its direct competitor, Eclipse. It's no Mustang or Z but that's where the RWD comes into play.

Going from an Eclipse competitor (FWD) to a Mustang/Z competitor (RWD), I am excited about the arrival of the new model.
    fun factor compared to what? just because it has a v-6 doesn't mean it does not compete with the plethora of other fwd peformance vehicles...compared to them it gets SPANKED.
    Did you read my post? Compared to the Eclipse, its direct competitor.

Time to make an appointment at your local dealer if you hadn't already :shades:
    this is really compared to the Eclipse? The Eclipse is on an SUV platform.
    this is really compared to the Eclipse? The Eclipse is on an SUV platform.

SUV platform? Sure the Endeavor sits on the platform...that makes a SUV platform?? I am not sure about the connection you are trying to make.

The PS platform is a front wheel (midsize) drive platform. Aside from the Endevaor and the Eclipse, the Galant also sits on the same platform.

Yes, the Eclipse is a direct competitor of the Tib.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Great looking car but it sure looks huge almost like a new Accord coupe in size! in RWD I might even consider one, depending on the price.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Thanks for the pics jonnylee.

I really like the current-gen tibby and was looking into getting one (auto since the manuals don't seem to hold up long). But wanting to pay cash (and hoping the current vehicle holds up till then) will be waiting a few years, right in time for this to hit the market. Looking at the 2010 ~ 2011 time frame for new vehicle purchase, which will help in case there are first year bugs to be worked out.

If the body shape under the tarp looks like the picture and can meet my criteria inside/out they have a customer. By that I mean:
    Hyundai keeps the price inline on the 4.6 litre
    the build quality is there
    the interior has full gauges, good ergonomics, material grades and fit/finish

JAE
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    you're driving a rwd sporty car and you worry about noise from having a frameless window?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    BK is most likely to be the 2 door genesis (BH). This car will probably share the Genesis nameplate. Hyundai will add a 3.8L Direct Injected Lambda II v6 similar to the v6 BH (Genesis). The Tiburon will probably be replaced by a FWD based coupe that has veloster cues. This RWD coupe will have a 2.4L DI turbo Theta II i4 enigne.. I hope this helps.

• akajimboakajimbo Member Posts: 10
    This is production model to be released in LA autoshow next week. Looks AWESOME. Don't know how long this link will be left open.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=national&No=87086&page- - =1&select=&content=&r_no=3&search_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=&Answer=18
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106

Looks not too exciting...
    At next week's LA show, it will be officially billed as a concept. We won't see the production model until next year (likely at NY).

Does anyone have stories on this? Where was this taken? How long ago was this taken? Add'l details?
    If you look at the meta information of those picture files, these photos were taken in June 3rd this year. There was some postings in the web that hyundai when through some blnd testing in various places in US, including Las Vegas. This place looks like the Las Vagas Convention center.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    about the date mess in here. No neat & tidy way to merge two existing discussions, I'm afraid!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the Hyundai Tiburon looks pretty good to me. I'll venture to say that I like it better than the Mustang next to it.

Is this the new RWD Tibby coming in 2009? The silver one in the picture next to the Ford Mustang?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

rv,

Do you (or anyone else on the forum), think that this coupe, whether it's called Tibby, Genesis Coupe, whatever, will have a need for a V8? With the 3.8 DI V6 pulling 300hp estimated, what will the V8 need to justify its use?

I could see, maybe, if the V6 produced in the 280 range max, then the V8 in the 300 ~ 315 range, matching the Mustang GT output figures. Plus it'll have a nice 30 ~ 40 hp bump, enough of a gap. But if the V6 will have that 300hp figure, why have the V8? I would like to see torque numbers on this engine, hopefully its got some pulling power down low, and hopefully the peak hp isn't in the stratosphere. also wondering of the manual tranny; with the problems that seem to plague the current gen I'm a little leery of getting one.

I like this coupe, as well as the current Tibby, and will be in the market to replace the current vehicle (hopefully it'll hold out till then) in a couple years' time. With fuel prices the way they are, the more than likely gouging on the upcoming Challenger, not being able to step into a Shelby GT this may be my alternative ;)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    400hp is what came std. in the GTO, so I would hope the V8 version of this would be in that ballpark and with an MT could be the next pony-car killer.

-mike
    Hopefully it won't die in the market due to over-zealous dealers marking it up (among other things) like the Monaro/GTO, which first came with 350hp.

Not sure if it'll hit the 350/400 range, would they go over the hp rating of the sedan for this coupe? If the 4-door is the lux flagship then I would think it would have the highest output.

I like it. If they hold the line on the price, have decent options I'll be buying one in the second model year.
    Dealer markups on the GTO?

Wonder where that was, cause here they sold em for a bit over invoice to start and worked their way down even when it came with 400hp. Heck, last year I almost bought a brand new one for $24k from several dealers here in the NY/NJ area.

-mike
    Mods, please change the title of the thread to RWD Genesis Coupe, as it has been confirmed at the press conference about 2 an half hours ago it is a separate model to the FWD Tiburon (as expected).

CONCEPT GENESIS COUPE SPECIFICATIONS
    · Configuration: Front engine, rear-wheel drive sports coupe
    · Wheelbase: 2,820 mm / 111 inches
    · Overall length: 4,666 mm / 183.7 inches
    · Overall width: 1,902 mm / 74.9 inches
    · Overall height: 1,386 mm / 54.5 inches
    · Wheels: 20-inch, five-spoke
    · Tires: Hankook 255/35 ZR front and 275/35 ZR rear

PRELIMINARY PRODUCTION CAR DETAILS
    · Engine type: V6
    · Estimated horsepower: more than 300 horsepower
    · Estimated torque: more than 250 lb. ft.
    · Displacement: 3.8 liters
    · Block material: high pressure die cast aluminum
    · Cylinder head material: aluminum
    · Valvetrain: Dual Over Head Cam (DOHC)
    · Valve timing: continuous variable valve timing
    · Estimated 0-60 mph: under 6 seconds
    · Transmission type: 6-speed manual
    · Front brakes: Brembo, 340 mm disc, twin-piston calipers
    · Rear brakes: Brembo, 330 mm disc, twin-piston calipers
    · Limited slip differential

More: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/14/la-2007-liveblogging-hyundai-rwd-coupe-reveal- -at-5-30-pm-es/
    When first introduced back in winter 2004/2005, the markups were ridiculous, due to the so-called "gotta have it". Stickers of $38K+ were the norm. Take a swing over to the GTO forums and look up the past posts from that time-frame. And remember these were the 350hp LS1s. In my neck of the woods, Chi-town, not only were there these crazy mark-ups but also dealers wanted deposits just to test-drive them. Of course these sat, the 2005s sat

Why do you think:
    the 04s sat
    the '05s sat but picked up late in the season

Sales were reduced. Remember, they were to bring over 18K/year for 3 years, but then the next years figures were reduced to 12K. Had nothing to do with plant capacity, shipping or any of the other reasons given. It was due to the dealer asking prices / practices, stalling in the market. Then the fire sales went into effect and they started moving. A decent portion of the 2005 sales were actually 2004 cars! Many just waited until the fire sale, as you stated, catching them at invoice. Hell, the Pontiac dealer by me still has a couple '06s (and no, they're not trade-ins). A shame because the car itself was a pretty decent Chevrolet, a decent Camaro replacement, not a GTO in many people's book.

Slight touch-up to add GTO character (split dual exhaust outlets, hood scoop)

Again, a shame as the car was pretty decent, reading about it for years and when they finally bring it over, it pretty much flopped sales-wise.

Back to Genesis Coupe / Tiburon, whatever... ;)
    Yup I really wanted one, test drove it, but a few things stopped me from picking it up, mostly the non-compatibility with any parts sold here. Couldn't get wide tires to fit under the fenders, and numerous other "gotta order from Australia" parts which basically made it only good if you planned to keep it stock.

-mike
    Yes. It just seems GM/Lutz/Pontiac really messed up what was a bright spot in their sea of ho-hum product offerings and SUVs. It seems they just figured: it's a coupe, it's fast, we can slap a Poncho Grand Am frontend on it and viola GTO. We'll sell a million of 'em!! And we can get a gob of money for it since it's named GTO. Customer support, parts availability, what's that? ;)

But back to the subject at hand, I'm not really feeling the SEMA 2F2F Special that was posted earlier. Just not into the ricer thing, even when I owned a used Datsun/Nissan turbo coupe years back as a kid. I like the previous pics of, what I hope to be, the production version (sitting next to the Mustang). I need to find some frontal shots of this coupe. Again, I like the current gen Tibby and if the pics of the new one are accurate, has the drivetrain options -even if it doesn't come with a V8-, at a good price point, say in the mid-20K range with the hi-po V6 and good options, I can see this rig in my garage.
    Yeah if it's cheap and hi-po V6 with the RWD it'll become a track monster. Heck it could concievably become the next miata in terms of road racing. Right now road racing is really lacking in the F-R car with good handling, the V6 with a bunch of power could actually out-handle a V8 version.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.