Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Pickup (pre-Tacoma) issues

Comments

• jtill43jtill43 Posts: 4
    Appreciate it. Do you know how much that will cost to fix? Is that something I can do myself?

Thanks,
    Justin
  • pauliep13pauliep13 Posts: 44
    I have no idea how much it might cost. Sorry, by my truck isn't 4WD, so I've never done it. Which means that I can't offer any advice as to how easy or hard it would be.

Do a Google search for "1993 Toyota pickup Factory Service Manual" that should link you to an online manual from Toyota that can help a lot. The 1990 and 1993 should all be about the same.

Also, www.yotatech.com is another board I frequent. Look it up and use the "search" feature. Search something along the lines of "CV axle replacement".

There are MANY people on that board with the same truck/4WD system as yours with MANY tips and tricks for working on them.

Hope this helps.
  • jtill43jtill43 Posts: 4
    Thanks again for your help
  • smilehardsmilehard Posts: 1
    I just rebuilt the 22RE in my truck. When I got back into the truck and got it running, it runs for about 5 minutes and then dies. When it starts to sputter, if I keep the RPM's up, it will continue to run until I let off the gas. Thank you for any advice!
  • jporter1jporter1 Posts: 5
    http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_sick.gif It sounds like a vacuum leak or a fuel blockage. New fuel filter is installed? Check around engine for vacuum leak.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxi- cons/emotorcons/emo_confused.gif
  • i need an interior driver side door handle (the one you use to close the door when sitting inside) for a 1990 toyota pickup - grey interior - grizzly model, 4WD - 3.0 V6 thanks
  • I have a 94 extended cab 4x4 22re. It starts fine when I first start it, but after I drive it 5-10 miles and turn it off sometimes it will not start it drags like the battery is dead. after it sets for about 30 minutes or so it will start just fine. I have replaced battery, battery cables, starter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and changed the oil. it has not helped at all. Nobody seem to know whats causing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not changed the distrib cap. it starts and runs fine has a small miss in it but otherwise runs great. little hard on gas but I have big tires also. I noticed it has developed a large oil leak in the last month or so. its like something is getting hot and having to cool off before the truck will start after being run for longer than 15 minutes. Any suggestions ? short on cash and cant afford to take it to a shop !
  • New guy here. I am currently on my 7th Toyota truck, 3rd 4wd. This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I have ever owned (since 1964), and drastically need to swap to a manual ! I get only 13 mpg with this 93 SR5, and I got 20 with my 92 SR5 5 sp. I have done these swaps on American made classics (my other truck is a 57 Chevy w/ 350), and know the task is pretty simple, however my mechanic warns me about compatibility of the truck's computer when switching trans.

Some questions before I invest in parts:
    Are the transfer cases the same from auto to manual?
    Any need to change or modify crossmembers when switching to manual?
    Are the drive shafts the same length when switching to manual?
    Do I need to change computers, or is the auto to manual switch OK since there is no electronic shifting?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • My '92 Pickup a/c is constantly on. Due to this, my MPG is more like GPM, and overheating is getting to be a major issue. If I turn off the blower fan, the clutch kicks out, so I'm fairly sure it is a relay issue. But where is it? Or the fuse? I can make some headway if I knew where the $%^&* relay or fuse is at.

Any ideas? I've looked in the under-hood box, and drivers side kick panel, and no joy.
  • Check the switch. The one on the dashboard that says, "A/C". Might be shorted out internally.

Here's a link for the procedure:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/airconditioning/18acswitch.pdf
  • jayo1jayo1 Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a suggestion on where I might buy a front mount receiver hitch for my 1993 4x4 toyota pu? Everything I've found on line is for the more recent tacoma's.
    Many thanks,
    J
  • I'm running into the same problem. I have a 89 4 Runner (Automatic) and soon as the RPM's reach about 3K throttle cuts out. If I hold throttle down it just cuts out and once it drops picks back up and drops out again. If I am on flat ground and keep the throttle below 3K I can progress thru the gears and get up some speed. I have new Throttle Position Sensor and Fuel Filter. Did you get yours fixed
  • i have a 92 toyota pickup and when i turn it on when its cold the idle is as it should when its warming up, but once it warms up the rpm still stays high then when i go do whatever i was doing and turn it on again the idle is low like it wants to turn off. and it just does that all the time. what can it be?
  • Well, the easiest thing to try first is to clean out the throttle body. Take off the air inlet duct to the throttle body, and clean the inside with a good, name brand carburetor cleaner. The best is the "throttle body cleaner" they sell at the Toyota dealership, it has some type of built in lubricant that lubes the throttle plate when opening and closing. And, it's only about a dollar more than the stuff they sell at the regular auto parts store.

While cleaning it out, you'll want to put several shop rags below the throttle body to catch the dirt and cleaner that will surely spill out. Also, it will work better if you scrub it with an old toothbrush, too. Spray it, scrub it, spray it again...

Also, know that you may have to reset your idle afterward.

If that doesn't work, then there's a whole list of suspects...

Idle Air Control Valve (if yours is an automatic)

Cold start injector

Cold start injector time switch

Auxiliary Air Vale

And possibly many others, just start with the basic stuff... clean it out.
  • hey folks just joined.
    i have 91 PU that for the last 2-3 years will not start if the temp goes below the 60's or 50's but when it warms up in the morning, it starts just fine (like normal).
    No doubt it's some sort of relay or temp sensitive device that will not allow the engine to start when the ambient temp falls.
    please help me resolve this burden.
  • masonmason Posts: 5
    :confuse: I have an 89 pickup 4cyl 4x4 efi and it will fire up and start for about 2 to 3 seconds then it will cut off and it does it continously. I have checked the fuse for the efi and it is fine. when the vehicle cuts off it makes a clicking noise in the cylinder with the fuel lines running into it by the dash on passenger side of truck it looks like an oil filter for a tractor. what should i do :confuse:
  • I found that Nix 99 in Lynnwood, WA has quite a few good condition parts. You can find them on the web. What I would like to know is where to get NOS seatbelts. I have a 85 longbed with a regular cab in good condition and would like to purchase a couple of grey driverside seatbelts as prevention. Please let me know.
    Joel
  • I am having a problem with alarm system. The door locks stopped working the alarm does not work and when I go to crank the engine the electrical system blinks, the dash lights, the park lights and the starter blinks on and off. I is just about impossible to get the truck to start with start blinking. What could be the problem?
  • nairbnairb Posts: 10
    I have a problem with my pickup. About 2 weeks ago my charging indicator
    light and parking brake light came on and within 2 days my truck died on the
    road and I needed to get a jump to get me another 2-4 miles and then another
    jump and so on until I got home. The next day I took my alt. in to get bench
    tested and it was o.k.. So I put it back in and the indicator lights were'nt on.
    I drove it around all day with no probs. then that night my dash lights went out
    and the indicators came back on and shortly after my truck died again and
    needed jumps. I know this must be an electrical prob. but I was hoping some-
    one could get me started in the right direction. I've already visually checked
    the wiring from the batt. and alt. but don't know where to go from there. The only
    vehicle I own so any help would be great.

Thanks, Brian
  • If the alternator tests fine, then it's possibly the fuses in the charging system. I had this problem on my '95 once. A real PITA when you've replaced the alternator a few times, and things still aren't working. :mad:

Check the large fuses in the under-hood fuse box. The largest one in there should be labeled "Alt" (alternator/80 Amps). In mine, it was starting to get corroded, and I suppose, not allowing the juice to flow properly and charge the battery effectively. Also check the other 2 large fuses, I can't remember what they're labeled, but one should be green, and the other red or pink. They were also starting to get corroded in mine, so I replaced them while I was in there.

Note: That big "Alt" fuse is NOT a pull out. It is held in with screws from the underside. You'll have to take off the whole fuse block and get into it from underneath.

It's also a good idea to disconnect the battery while doing this, and while it's disconnected, have it checked too. Make sure it's full of acid, and all the cells are good, etc...

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.