Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Pickup (pre-Tacoma) issues

Comments

• Hi Everyone,
    I've got a problem with the instrument panel lights on my 88 Toyota 4x4 pick up(22re). They quit working one night. All other running lights are working fine. I checked bulbs & fuses - all fine, replaced all lighting fuses anyway. I've checked the rheostat switch located on the dash - its O.K. I replaced the tail light relay and still no dash lights. The repair manual I have doesn't even show the wiring diagram for dash lights or the rheostat switch. If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks JB
  • my fuel pump not makin any noise could it be a fuse if so where is it also i dont have the cover for the fuse box any one know where i can get a diagram of what all the fuses are
  • Recently purchased a used 1994 Toyota. Dealership (not a Toyota certified dealer) said they had just replaced the water pump. Pump looked like it had been replaced.

Two weeks later, while driving I notice that my temp guage is nearly in the red, but within seconds it jumps back down to normal operating temp (needle half way on the gauge). Since then, it has been happening regularly: After I start the truck and run it for 5 minutes (or long enough to get the gauge up to half way), the needle starts going towards the red while I'm driving. It'll just barely hit the red and stay there for maybe 20 seconds at the most before it jumps immediately back down to half way. It will do this 2 or 3 times over the next 10-15 minutes. After that, if I continue to drive, it will stop doing this. If I stop for an hour and then drive the cycle will start over....it only stops if you drive for long periods (20+ minutes) of time.

I have replaced the thermostat (right side up) and still have the problem. I'm getting plenty of heat. Engine fan seems to work fine. No leaks or strange smells. The cooland res is filled to the correct level. & like I said, the dealer has replaced the water pump.

So, is it possibly the temp guage sensor? I'm thinking of replacing that.
    What should I try next?
    Is it possible there is an air bubble trapped somewhere?
    I'm running out of ideas.
    Any comments greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
  • try checking your radiator. i had an overheating prob. and i have a 94 also
  • My 93 Toyota pickup (150,000 miles)overheated for the first time this week. Very little has been done to the truck other than routine maintenance - its been a great/reliable and problem free vehicle. What is happening is the temp gage moves to mid range within 5 mins, by about 15 minutes it is redlined. It doesn't get better with idling, it stays high until the engine is shut off/cooled down. I have plenty of heat inside the vehicle as well. Luckily it is cold outside with winter here; so I can at least get to work and back before without major issues. I have no other "symptoms" - everything else is running fine. The day before the overheating started, I was stuck badly in about 2+ feet of snow; took 30 minutes and about 8 men to get unstuck. No "pools" of antifreeze on the ground are evident, and I don't see any spraying from hoses when I pop the hood. But I am obiously losing coolant with the overheating. I top off the system before I drive back & forth to work. I plan to replace hoses, thermostat this weekend, if that doesn't work - then I will look at the radiator next. If anyone has any sure fire thoughts that would help expedite my troubleshooting - please let me know. Thank you!
  • If you are loosing anti-freeze without obvious signs of leaking it, and it's overheating, I would make sure to check the under side of the oil cap. If the under side of the oil cap looks like chocolate milk (creamy brownish oil) then it may be leaking through the head gasket into the oil, or you may have a cracked head.

It very well could be the thermostat, though. If it only takes a few minutes to redline it in cold weather, then the thermostat could be stuck closed, and you're losing coolant through the overflow bottle. When it overheats, and you shut it off to cool down, do you hear a rattling\bubbling sound? Kind of like water boiling inside the overflow bottle? That might be it.
  • Thank you! I do see coolant clinging to the truck carriage parts under the overflow reservoir and radiator (on the drivers side only), and the bottom radiator hose has coolant on/under it. The center part of the truck and passenger side below the radiator appear dry, as well as the top radiator hose is dry. Yes, I hear the "gurgling", but it seems to be coming from the radiator, as by the time I hear it and can check it, the reservoir is empty.
  • Well, as long as the under sie of the oil cap looks normal (dark brown/black oil) then I'd have to venture that it's your thermostat stuck closed. It may cost a few more dollars, but I'd recomend getting one from the dealership. It will be the proper temp, and they will have the proper fitting rubber seal. Make sure to get a new seal with it! I can't speak for the V6, but on my 22re you don't use any silicone on the rubber seal, just clean the surfaces thoroughly, then get a new seal, and tighten the housing bolts properly. Also, make sure to note what side of the thermostat is facing "up" when you take the housing off, and reinstall the new one in the same direction.
  • My 93 S w/d toy had same issue turn out was a short in turn signal lamp in left front bumper...good luck
  • 93 2 W/d has suffered greatly over the years so inner fenders and middle cross beam are bent up and no longer viable. Anyone know is the whole front clip welded on? a bolt on job or combination? I have replaced fenders n hood with no isue it is the underlying structure i desperately need help with as i have minimum tools and skills . Any ideas or anyone with parts? thanks
  • Hey Everybody -
    Need some help. Noticed today that the brake lights stayed on even after turning off lights and ignition. I figure it might be the tail light relay, but I can't find out where it is (checked Haynes). I had to pull the neg terminal on the battery to turn off. Any ideas and/or can anyone provide location of the relay? I've searched the internet with no luck. Thanks!
  • That relay might be one of the ones in the engine compartment fuse box. Also might be the brake light switch being stuck closed. That should be at the top of the brake pedal, behind the dash.
  • jmershonjmershon Posts: 1
    I recently had to replace my old bumper and everything went well until the license plate lights. The instructions showed one wire coming off each of the lights from the license plate - but instead I have two wires coming off each light (black & red). I have wired this may different ways to no avail. On my old bumper I had one wire going to each light. Help anyone? Thanks!
  • I have a 1980 sr5, 2wd, longbed. Just replaced the radiator this morning b/c thermostat shot up to redline and b/c a visible geyser of coolant steam could be seen shooting out of the radiator body an inch from the upper hose (hot, inbound).

I drove it after replacing the radiator and the coolant/water, and it redlined again after about 10 minutes! This time, a small geyser of coolant steam was seen where the upper hose connects to the engine.

I removed and inspected the hose (nothing).

I let it sit for an hour and drove 10 minutes. It redlined!!! But, nowhere could I see coolant steam spewing out.

Any ideas what could be causing this overheating???

Is there a thermostat in the engine that may be broken in a 'closed' position, thereby keeping the coolant from circulating?
    Thanks!!!
  • pauliep13pauliep13 Posts: 44
    Yup, sounds like a thermostat to me. Follow that upper radiator hose back towards the engine. On top of the engine at the end of that hose, you should see the "dome" of the thermostat housing with 2 12mm bolts holding it down. Open that up and get a new one in there. Make sure to note which side is "up" when you take that housing off, and put the new one in there facing the same way. I'd suggest going to the dealership, they'll have the proper temp thermostat, and the propper fitting rubber seal that goes around it.
  • Thanks! Quickly though: I note that the upper hose it quite hot to the touch...indicating that coolant is coming from the engine (and that the thermostat maybe is not broken shut). Could this mean, therefore, that the water pump is likely shot?
  • pauliep13pauliep13 Posts: 44
    Probably not, the radiator hoses are supposed to get hot after running the engine for a little while. In my experience, you can tell a water pump is bad when you actually see water (antifreeze) leaking out of it. I'd try the thermostat first, it's a cheap, quick fix. Just make sure you put it in facing the right way, and you fill your radiator back up with the proper mixture of antifreeze.
  • carenda1carenda1 Posts: 2
    Help, 94 pick up with same problem. And I am certainly not a mechanic.
  • carenda1carenda1 Posts: 2
    Ok heres the deal, I replaced one relay under the hood in the fuse box, it immediatly blew that relay, so I swapped out the one next too it and all those systems(wipers, blower motor, power windows) worked again but when I changed the relays back to their original spots with new ones the truck wouldn't start. It turns over, but sounds like the fuel pump is not working. Any ideas, i am certainly not a mechanic. Maybe it is the fuel pump relay, and does anyone know where it is?