Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35

Comments

• irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    RL is a mid-side FWD sedan(Accord) masquerading as a AWD sports sedan.
    M is based on a FM RWD platform designed with sport in mind (Z,G35).
    If you like bland and boring go with the RL- I doesn't look too different from 2000 Accord. On the plus side bland designs age well unlike flavor of the month. RL interior is slightly better.

Historically Acuras had better re-sale value than Infiniti, but Goshn-era Infinities hold their value quite well.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    The M is a first year model too, so I would be just as concern about reliability issues. The G35 has had its share of problems.

I think you guys are giving Ghosn too much credit too soon. Yes, he introduced some nice models to resuscitate a dying company, but he's had problems with quality issues, and some dubious designs (Maxima, Quest). He's got some work to do before I would qualify him for the hall of fame.

With Nissan where it was when he took over, even I could have improved things!
    glorified honda accord for twice the price. for AWD, NAV, +60
    You nailed it.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Oh yes, I'm sure its just that easy. You should take over for both Bill Ford and Rick Wagoner, after all, Ford and GM arent in nearly as bad a shape as Nissan was in the late '90s, so it should be a breeze for you to fix both companies in say 3 years or so, as Ghosn did.
    Umm...lexusman...how long have you had been inflicted with this condition....of interpreting what people say literally? Well, I hope they can give you a prescription for it. Good luck.
  • arthurmnevarthurmnev Posts: 5
    RL without a doubt. I haved had the car since november 04 and love it; i drove infinity m45 & lexus and there is really no comparison as to what SH-AWD will do for you on a 60 mph 45 degree turn.
    no comparison as to what SH-AWD will do for you on a 60 mph 45 degree turn.
    Can you point us to any source which says RL's AWD is better than M35's.
    On the contrary, there has been few reviews commending the rear-wheel bias of Infinity AWD which gives it a sportier handling. M35 also has better weight distribution.
  • arthurmnevarthurmnev Posts: 5
    SH-AWD accelerates outer rear wheel relative to the turn (i.e. hard turn left will result in rear right getting more torque then rear left) That significantly adds to stability during turns where you get high lateral G force. I have seen (and felt) the difference during test drives on both G35 and RL; in final analysis, SH-AWD was a selling point for me.

The only thing Acura screwed up (IMHO) are the tires -for some odd ball reason Mich. hx mxm4 are the stock tires - and God, they are horrible in snow although wet/dry traction is really good

I expect slightly different styling for $25000 more
    What you're not mentioning is that the RL NEEDS SH-AWD in order to not suffer from extreme understeer because of its unbalanced weight. The M35 doesnt need anything like that. Its not derived from a FWD platform, and thus no AWD magic is required to fix problems that arent there.
    RL also needs AWD not to suffer from torquesteer unlike RWD GS, M
    you're missing the point. It don't matter WHY the RL needs AWD. So what if it does? It also needs tires, a steering wheel and and an engine. It comes with AWD, so why debate why it needs it? arthurmnev was making the point that the RL (with AWD) handles better then the AWD M and the AWD Lexus. If you have evidence to the contrary, share it.

As to which car NEEDS AWD the most, well, I think that's another topic for another forum.
    I see slightly different styling, don't you? :confuse:

Actually I think the styling difference accounts for only about $595 of the price difference. The other $24,405 is for the SH-AWD, the extra 100hp, the Navi, Bluetooth, DVD-A audio, voice recognition, XM, smart key, memory seats, auto headlights, etc, etc, etc,.....should I go on?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I haven't seen the RL and the M35x compared. Have you?

M
    Yeah I'm not sure if there are any professional reviews of the M35x at all. You'd think somebody would do one, considering the M35x and GS300 AWD compete much more directly with the RL than the GS430 and M45 do (I'm looking at YOU Edmunds), but apparently not.
  • rmd3003rmd3003 Posts: 9
    OK everybody, listen up. After reading posts by "irnmdn" and some other true car pro's I must admit: I made a horrible mistake when I bought Acura.
    I didn't know that I bought very very overpriced Honda with useless AWD system,
    horrible styling, very weak engine, so-so handling, very bad steering response, bad brakes and horrible resale value. I can go on and on.
    I wish I've read those very smart, classy and intelligent responses from "irnmdn" and co.
    Well, considering that people(and me) who buy Acura's have probably very low IQ , my next car for sure is gonna be ........ guess it...........
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sorry you feel you made a bad mistake, but the IQ statement is uncalled for. Hope everything works out for you.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hey lexusguy, why don't you drop by editor Karl Brauer's discussion, Karl's Daily Log Book, and ask him about it? Let us know what he says.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    In virtually every auto magazine comparison that I have read the M Sport has won. Car & Driver rated the M45 Sport (w/o AWD) handling as superior to the RL's SH-AWD, by a score of 10 to 8. Car & Driver reported that "the M45 is all about the driving experience. The car aced everything in the lane-change and skidpad tests" They went on to say "it spanked everything at the track"

I am confused by all who try to claim that the RL outperforms the M :confuse: Perhaps in snowy wintery conditions the SH-AWD may confer an advantage.

BTW: I own an Acura MDX and an Infinti FX35 - I am not wedded to either brand.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    I interpert rmd3003 post as tongue-in-cheek. As most of the discussions here are opinions, then everybody is correct. The inner and outer beauty of any car is in the eye (and feet, hands and butt!) of the driver! Drive 'em all, buy the one that best fulfills your needs, wants and desires. That, my friends, is the best car!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

This discussion has been closed.