Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
It's more modern than ever before, but doesn't lose its retro appeal. Join us for a sneak peek at the upcoming PT Cruiser.

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Compact Wagon

Comments

• charlesf1charlesf1 Posts: 52
    I noticed Chrysler still doesn't want the side view mirrors the same color as the rest of the car.
  • GT will have 230 hp. How much power do you want? a 1000 hp!
  • ptjunkyptjunky Posts: 2
    I think 230 HP is plenty for the size of the PT. I am not to fond of the new split grill design with no grill below the bumper and not to crazy about the dash either.
    what do you all think? :)
  • ptjunkyptjunky Posts: 2
    I have to also agree that Chrysler should step up and paint the mirrors on the PT,
    this would give it a more finished look since the bumpers are now painted to match the rest of the PT, unlike the early models that were released.
    On a side note I took my 04 GT back to the dealership and had them paint the side view mirrors to match and total cost was under 300.00 and it makes a huge difference in the look. :)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I have found three other websites with much more detailed information - membership rules prevent me from posting the links - but I am surprised Edmunds isn't equally up to date (they usually are the leader). :surprise:

Two surprising bits of information: Chrysler claims much improved sound proofing (I had one and thought it was already pretty good) lowering the noise in the cabin by 5 db, which is great; and they are promising to match Chevy's new HHR on pricing. We'll have to see about the pricing, because Chevy is now toying with the idea of pricing their cars to market, instead of pricing them high and then rebating them heavily.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    That the HHR starts around 15k. Am I correct? I also believe that the HHR and Cobalt won't take price slashes because GM believes that the HHR will be a hot seller.
    15,999, so even a weak negotiator won't get hammered, if they keep their eye on their trade-in.

My guess is that Chevy wants to revert to the old model of "tough negotiators will get a grand off, once in a while we'll throw out a special rebate of a grand or so, but not too often." The cycle of rebates is messing up everyone - it makes the cars look like they depreciate too fast, because the ALG and other guides report resale values compared to MSRP, not to actual selling prices, etc., plus in California at least we have to pay sales tax on the "price before rebate" so it is better to buy a lower MSRP or discounted car, than a rebated car.

I don't think either car is a "hot" seller but in the beginning they run the assembly lines slowly to ensure quality, and there are enough buyers who want novelty that there is no need to discount until they ramp up productio and the eager buyers are replaced by more routine buyers. The Mustang and the Chrysler 300 are "hot" sellers.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    HHR has more standard equipment, including Air and I think ABS, and other stuff, so the $15K is pretty fair. Will be interesting to see what the gas mileage is, and if it looks as good. It may lack charm - who knows. It will be out soon.

The new front look on the PT could prove to be a marketing disaster.

Loren
  • robmanrobman Posts: 7
    I prefer the current dash and grille (2003 Limited owner prejudice?) but applaud the efforts towards reduced cabin noise. The Chevy is hideous and may find this retro-delivery van market to be pretty tapped out.

In the intended market the PT Cruiser has no competition. Chevy came too late with too little...
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I think that the HHR looks deplorable.
    They did copy a lot of the PT features in the HHR. I have seen the little beast, and it is OK. Really not as cool as the PT though. Sort of like a shrunk down old Suburban, but that is what they wanted. IF GM was smart they would make a little truck version of the HHR. In a truck, the front would look pretty cool, and they could sell them as pairs. One of each in every driveway. The PT looks fine the way it is today. Changing the grill to stop at the top of the bumper line, and changing the dash is just sooooo wrong. Sure upgrading the sound proofing is a good idea. To have a broader hood is good for access, but will it change the look. The PT has a lot of good functional attributes, but least we forget, a lot of the appeal is still in the look. Some say Chrysler Air Flow, while others say '39 Ford, or just look at the gangster car or whiskey runner car when they first view the car. Why change that? The Chevy people say it was modeled after the Suburban. Hummmm? Guess it missed the mark. Looks better than that! The new HHR will siphon off some buyers that would possibly have bought the PT, but I hope the new PT 2006 changes are not doing even more harm. Here is an interesting note: The optional engine in the HHR requires premium gas, has more HP than the base PT, but 3 # less torque than the base PT. I bought the base PT with a stick, and it gets up and goes OK. I can see though in an automatic, it may be marginal. Anyway, the top HHR engine is 162# torque and our base engine is 165# torque.

Loren
  • When does it go on sale? After the Iacocca ads end?
    The new PT 2006? I think it could be as late as October.
    I like the 2005, so I bought the current design. New is said
    to be more quiet on the road. These are interesting cars. I
    have never sat so high in a car before. Must be like an SUV
    in respect to a driving position. Having fun just crusing, but
    within a few years, once again hear the call for sports car,
    RWD , driving fun. This PT makes a good primary and will
    make for a good second car as well. Sure can carry a lot of
    stuff! I got the stick, so it is still a little fun.... not a Miata, but
    fun in its own way to CRUISE in. - Loren
    You said, in part:

The optional engine in the HHR requires premium gas, has more HP than the base PT, but 3 # less torque than the base PT.

Auto manufacturers are in transition in the way the measure horsepower right now. There is a new SAE test that requires an independent witness. I believe the HHR numbers are in accordance with the new standard, but the PT Cruiser numbers are old numbers from years ago. Look for a possible change in the 2006 ratings.
  • rtimacrtimac Posts: 4
    I asked my local dealer how long it would be for delivery if I ordered an '06 PT Cruiser and he guessed about two months. Since I live in Michigan that would pretty much eliminate the convertible season for this summer, so I bought the '05 convertible turbo he had on the lot. What fun! I'm glad I didn't wait.

BTW, the dealer couldn't tell me how much the '06 would cost me. He said I'd have to order it and find out the cost when it arrived! Do you think it was a 'sales job' or do you think the dealers really don't know the costs of the new models yet? Hmm.
    I would imagine, if they are ordering cars, they would also know the pricing, but who knows. If Chrysler owns the cars, and not the dealer, then maybe a few buck here or there would mean nothing to them when ordering for next year.

You got the last of the original cool PT cars. Next year they are messing with the design in what I believe to be all the wrong ways. But that's only one man's opinion. Others may like the new PT better. These do not have the worlds best gas mileage, but they are fun and practical in other ways. I just bought a base PT with a stick. So far zero defects up to 2k +.

Loren
  • I have seen several 06 Cruisers on car carriers going down the Fwy here in So. CA. I noticed one setting in the lot at a dealer in Whittier, CA today.
    I have seen an '06 convertible, which I assume is just like the hardtop for '06.
    I am not impressed at all. Glad to have bought the '05 recently. Don't like the
    new controls, the dash, the exterior changes on the new model. A step backwards.

Loren
  • Well, I went back to the dealer for my first oil change and they had two of the 2006 Cruisers in stock - a base model and a turbo. I am SO glad I bought my '05 when I did. Although the outside has minor cosmetic changes, the inside is totally redesigned. The one nice addition in my opinion are the analog clock. The dash has been redesigned to look just like any other Chrysler dash, the individual arm rests have been replaced with a single center console, and there is what others have called a 'towel rack' on top of the glove box. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you gotta wonder what they were thinking to 'modernize' the Cruiser like that. (One other minor change: there is no more remote door/trunk opener. It's now built into the key itself.)
    Well the 2005 is the last of the classic design, best of, PT Cruisers. They dropped the ball when they messed with the front of the car on the outside, and the dash, and other features on the inside. It was a good run. They are now giving the HHR more of a fighting chance. Oh well, don't shoot the messenger!

Loren