Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Well I checked it again. Appears to be using at a rate around a quart per 3000 miles. Hummm, not exactly Japan standards for 4 cylinder engines. And this time I stood there when the service rep. looked at the stick. Can not believe they said before that it was not going down, as it certainly was. Now it is just another inch along the way down.
    -Loren
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Does anyone have any info at to what changes are in store for the 2007 model?????
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    No hard information, but my guess is that changes will be light since 2006 had a heavy update and the platform will apparently be migrating to the AWD capable Caliber platform for '08.

Changes that MIGHT happen: adding side air bags to more trim lines; folding the Limited and Touring into a single model - or ditching the base and having it go Touring, Limited, GT; adding more power equipment to the Base model if the trim lines are not condensed (but that makes it hard to use the Base model as a loss leader to get people out to Chrysler lots).

The upcoming major platform change makes it very unlikely we'll see more than a change in ordering options in '07. In '08, though, the sky could be the limit - the new engine series from the Caliber; a CVT transmission instead of a 4 speed, if the public accepts the CVT in the Caliber; possibly (but not likely) the availability of the 2.7 small v-6 in the PT (not likely since Chrysler has historically preferred the turbo route to the v-6 route, and the Caliber is coming out soon with a turbo version of its new 2.4); AWD; standard side curtain and side torso airbags; bigger wheels and tires, standard (think: Caliber).

In fact, I'd study the Caliber carefully, and assume that the mechanicals and features of the new Caliber will be an accurate guide to the mechanicals and features of the new PT.

The good news, is that the Caliber is "so" Dodge (the Ram front end, for example) that Chrysler needs a small vehicle of its own (the PT) so I don't think they will discontinue the PT. It WILL be interesting to see what they do with the rear suspension, since the suspension on the PT is expensive, but allows a very low trunk floor, while the Caliber has a high trunk floor (less efficient) but a better (in traditional thinking) handling style rear suspension.
    Thanks, micweb!!! :)
    I am interested in purchasing a 2006 PT Cruiser. Is there anyone out there that is a Chrysler employee that can share a discount I.D. number with me.
    I know GM employees get several employee friends of the family or GM driveway numbers to give out every month or so. Also Ford offers X-Plan pricing (all you do is join a Ford affiliate company (EAA for $40.00/year), and after one year of membership you become eligible for X-Plan pricing. I have purchased two Ford products this way. Also,several years ago, I received a GM Driveway Number from someone in one of the GM forums. It saved me some dealer advertising fees and was below invoice pricing.All they did was email me the GM discount #.Plus, I want to get rid of my Cobalt.
    I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this...but....if anyone out there can help out, my Email is lised...just click in my nortsr1.
    Thanks in advance (just in case)
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    If the PT did come with a CVT transmission, would you buy it? I see that the Altima for 2007 will have that type of tranny. This is to help with gas mileage? 2007 PT I assume will be almost the same as the 2006. I see there is talk here about a V6. Would even the smallest one fit? Seems like the big four banger is sort of stuffed in there.

The four is kinda ruff, but it gets the job done. My car seemed to be using oil, but perhaps that consumption is slowing now. At around 12K miles on the car, I think the consumption is around a 1/2 Qt, per 3000 miles. I panicked too soon, when it appeared to be using more oil. While perhaps not Japan engine quality, I guess it is better than I gave it credit for earlier on. Noisy somewhat, but it is suppose to be an old time kinda car. And I assume, since the 2006 model is more quiet inside, you hear less of the engine thrashing around.

Anyway, I think the engine is using less oil now, or my eyes are seeing the stick differently. Could be the engine needed more miles to break in, though I am told there really is no break in period. Oh well, will keep ya posted one way or another on oil consumption. Perhaps all is well now.

While I still prefer some things about the first interior and exterior, the new PT having less road noise on the highway would be a plus. I hope they lower the seats an inch or two. I can barely swing that clutch in all the way. I am short, but not short. :shades: For an automatic, perhaps it matters less.
    -Loren
    A stick shift owner! Congratulations, they are as rare as hen's teeth in the Base and Touring models. And never go on sale for the ridiculously low prices we've been seeing in northern California for Base models with automatics. (From a low of 11k to a high of 12.7k!).

I think the DOHC engine in the PT is pretty neat. It has a lot of torque and decent power (150 hp, which isn't THAT impressive these days, but 165 lb-ft of torque, which IS). Our 2006 really moves out. Of course, the gas mileage isn't great, but it isn't much worse than the new Caliber which is reportedly something of a turtle despite all the new bells and whistles (variable valve timing) in the new engine. Personally, other than the variable valve timing, I think a lot of the design work in the new generation engines was to make them easier and cheaper to manufacture and to make them easier adapt to forced air induction.

A half quart per 3,000 miles is pretty low consumption. Of course I used to own VW's. If you change the oil every 3,000 miles anyway (always a good idea, since it IS a high output engine crammed into a tiny - hot - engine compartment) you'll never really need to top it off.

Keep us posted, have fun!
    I posted this on the Rebates and Incentives forum but thought I might post it here, also, as some of you might be interested. The Detroit Auto News and Phila. Inquirer reported that Chrysler will announce Employee Discount Pricing and a 30 day moneyback garuntee (sometime next week) and GM will follow with 0%-60 month financing.
    Looks like Saturday, July 1st is the announcement of the Employee pricing program and the 30 day return policy. The 30 day return policy has some drawbacks...a 5% return loss, a mileage penalty,... and... possible auction price if car doesnt sell???
    The new "Employee Pricing" for the PT is a big "JOKE"..... Before Employee pricing there was a $1500.00 rebate and a $500.00 mfg.to dealer incentive and I received two quotes for a price of $2000.00 UNDER INVOICE...now....with Employee pricing and the Employee price and the new "$500.00 rebate.....you end up paying almost 1000.00 MORE than before..Figure that one out.
    I was all set to purchase a 2006 PT Limited and when I read several days ago about Chrysler coming out with "Employee Pricing" I figured that it would pay me to wait....Wrong decision....so now I will just wait until the Employee pricing is discontinued on July 31st and HOPE that Chrysler goes back to the PREVIOUS rebate incentive plan.
    When I spoke to the salesperson at the dealership yesterday....he actually agreed with me, that, in fact,it now does cost more to purchase a PT... because...when Emp[loyee pricing is in effect, they have to sell at THAT set price from the mfg. and cannot change that price.
    Well, NORTSR, you will just have to wait it out...Better luck next time.
  • charlesf4charlesf4 Posts: 20
    Has anyone heard what changes are coming on the 2007 Cruiser? They should be at the dealers soon.
    Ihave read at another forum that a special stainproof, better cloth will be standard on the 2007 Limited and optional for the Touring model. Also, three new colors (but I forget what colors) and finally a remote added for the trunk area. That's all I know for now. Other than that, it is supposed to be no different than the 2006
    That's miles per person. We have all acknowledged the PT Cruiser's mileage isn't what we want it to be (with an EPA highway rating of only 26, most of us are lucky to get 23/24) - but after taking it to Yosemite with one other adult and 2 small kids and a lot of gear, and after using it almost exclusively as the weekend "family" car, I have realized that it DOES get good MPP - miles per person.

There is no way I could shuttle my little family around in a Ford Focus, which is lighter, with a smaller engine, and gets better gas mileage (especially good for 2007). Not even in a Focus Wagon -- the seating position is lower, with resulting less rear seat legroom than the PT.

At least the PT gets better gas mileage than a typical minivan or small SUV (although I will admit that the Honda CR-V we had before did get 3 mpg better gas mileage, but we all got tired of its harsh ride).

So while the PT isn't the ideal single commuter vehicle, it is GREAT for family use. (I will, however, reconsider this if the kids start getting a LOT bigger.) In fact, I think it has one of the better MPP around!
  • Did you ever get the EC or FFP discount number? If so, where can I get one? I am looking to lease a new Chrysler.
    Thank you,
    Kelly
    Kelly,
    No, no one volunteered their assistance. I did, however, purchase a new 2006 PT Cruiser, Limited at invoice, less the $2000.00 rebate and NO added dealer costs, plus it already had been pin-striped, etc. and those costs were also deleted. Just remember, when leasing, negotiate your best "bottom line price and don't forget those BIG rebates that Chrysler is now offering. The 2006 models are "plentiful" and the dealers want to "UNLOAD" them!
    If you are not good at negotiating and do not know th "ins and outs" of a good lease deal....MAKE SURE you take someone with you that knows leasing. At least go to the lease forum and read the posts and "how to negotiate a lease"!!!!
  • Hi, I am looking into a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible with an MSRP of $21,945. Options include the 28E Package and Automatic Transmission. Standard Black paint.
    This is in snowy NE Ohio and an 06, so I am sure that they would love to get rid of this unit.
    According to Edmunds' TMV Pricing Report the...
    TMV -------------------> $18,230
    Chrysler Mailed Rebate-> -$1,000
    Chrysler Dealer Rebate-> $3,500
    Total------------------> $13,730
    That total amount can't be right..can it?
    Somebody please give me some insight asap
    Thanks, mranton89
  • My friend is thinking seriously of buying a used (off lease ex rental) 2006 PT Cruiser w/ 14000 miles on it from a local Chrysler dealer. They are asking $12,900 (a Touring model). What, if anything should we look out for when it comes to ex-rental cars? The car looks pristine. It is equipped with Sirius sattelite radio. What would be a good offer on a car like this? Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a little afraid of used cars, but that's just me.
  • Hi everyone.

I have a 2003 pt cruiser that has had three water pumps replaced since new. Thank goodness under warranty. After the last one was put in, about 5 months later, the car gives off this Pancake Syrup Smell when the heat/ac/defrost is on. Any suggestions.? The car has been checked out twice. No leaks, the last time the dealership told me to pressure wash the exhaust manifold. Doubt that will help.
  • Sounds like coolant is getting into the heater core probably.

Coolant has kind of a sweet smell to it.
  • Is there anyway possible to start my car without the factory key I got when I first bought it? I lost my key 2 months ago and am really hoping there's something I can do to the actual car itself to make it start with a copy key I had made before I lost the original. Hope this makes sense. Thanks!
  • I feel your pain. I lost the keys to my Caliber for almost a month. Being that it was $180 to order a replacement key fob I considered just making a copy but I was told that although the copy would unlock the doors it wouldn't start the car because there is a chip that "unlocks" the engine.

I would imagine your car is similar. I think you may have to grin and bear it and order a new key from the dealer. :cry:
    The dealer should have delivered 2 original keys to you. Some dealers lose one. Where's your other key? If you never got it, see if you can get it from the dealer. There is no way to start the car without a key with a chip in it, that has been programmed to match your ignition.
  • I have an 05 PT ... I had a spare key made and it cost me $110. The key must be made in a car shop not a key shop. This is a computer chipped key that is designed that way. If you use that copy key in your ignition, it may turn over the engine, but the engine will stall within a minute. This is a safety feature so your car cannot be stolen. Let your ins. company know, usually you get a discount ... works the same as a car alarm ..
  • I bought 2 key blanks that both had the chips inside from EBay. Then took them to a hardware store to be cut. Cost around $75 for both. :)
  • saber39saber39 Posts: 1
    Yes..EBAY!! You get a blank key with the transponder. They should send you instructions on how to program. Very easy and will take you all of about 60 seconds to program. You then go to a locksmith that can cut the uncut key for you. You might have to call around to locksmiths to see if they can do it. Example: I have an Audi A6 with a special side cut key. I got a blank key on e-bay for $50 with programing instructions. I then called several locksmiths to see if they had the machine to do a side cut. They call the machine a sidewinder and I had no luck finding anyone with the $20,000 machine. So I did what you wouldn't expect..I called the dealership parts department (parts people are cool and love seeing you save $$) to see who cuts their keys (sometimes outsourced to local locksmith). They told me only Audi, but he said they do use a local company to help them with locks and transponders in the Audi's. He told me the name and BINGO..they have a sidewinder and will cut the key for $10. I have a cut working key for $60. Audi wanted $190. So do the leg work..it can pay off!!
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    That's great! I'll have to remember that when I lose my keys. Yes I say WHEN not IF because I always do. :blush:
  • I just bought a 2005 PT Crusier and I've been told that I can improve it's gas mileage by putting on a duel exaust and maybe a new (about $50) air filter. Is any of this true? Can someone help me?
    Thanks AJ
  • I have read all kinds of ways to improve mileage. Different kind of plug wires, different kinds of plugs and on and on. I guess it it works that is great. My 2004 GT Turbo will be four years old this month and have not had any problems with it. I too would like to get better mileage!
  • game76game76 Posts: 2
    I got an 06 limited edition turbo, I put magnaflow exhaust on it, with a 4inch tip,and a cold air intake. If i dont get on it, i get about 2 miles more per gallon, and I added about 20hp to my ride.