Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids Success in the Marketplace - Hybrid Sales Numbers

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Four recent Google News articles from OK, IN, VT, and NE talking to car salesmen saying "hybrids are flying off the lot."

Hybrid sales up 86% over 2006 numbers so far.

LOOKING GOOT !!!!
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Hybrid sales for May-2007 have touched 44,274 without counting Nissan and GM. Its an all time record and roughly 3 % + share of overall US auto market.

Prius 24,009
    Camry-H 6,853
    Highlander-H 3,312

RX400h 1,746
    GS450h 181
    Toyota Total 36,101

Civic-H 4,520
    Accord-H 439
    Honda Total 4,959

Escape 2,680
    Mariner 534
    Ford Total 3,214

Grand Total 44,274

Also the Crossovers continue to climb and SUV's continue to fall. 7 years ago, Crossovers had similar share of what Hybrids have today and now they outsell Truck based SUV's

So in another 7 years, will the Hybrids capture 12 % share of American market ?.
    Thanks for the info - I was looking for that data !!

Go Go Hybrids !!!
    Million with an M

JAPAN: Cumulative Toyota hybrid sales reach a million units

7 June 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Toyota has announced that global cumulative sales of Toyota hybrid vehicles have topped the 1 million mark, with approximately 1,047,000 units sold worldwide as of May 31, 2007.

Toyota launched the Prius — the world's first mass-produced hybrid vehicle — in Japan in 1997 and began selling it in North America, Europe and elsewhere in 2000.

The second-generation Prius, equipped with the Toyota Hybrid System II, was introduced in 2003 with an emphasis on delivering both environmental performance and power. Over time, Toyota has expanded the use of its hybrid system to minivans, SUVs, rear-wheel-drive sedans and other vehicles.

Toyota began overseas production of hybrid vehicles in Changchun, China in 2005 and in Kentucky in the United States in 2006.

Toyota says that as of April 30, 2007, worldwide sales of its hybrid vehicles since 1997 have greatly contributed to reductions in CO2 emissions, which are considered a cause of global warming, by producing approximately 3.5 million fewer tons of CO2 compared with the same class gasoline-powered vehicles of similar size and driving performance.

Toyota says it aims to double its hybrid lineup and achieve annual sales of one million units in the early part of the 2010s.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid reported sales of 5,530 units in June. The Toyota Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever June sales of 17,756, an increase of 76.3 percent over June 2006.

TMS Hybrids

TMS first-half hybrid sales totaled 146,536 units, an increase of 69 percent over the same period last year. In June, TMS posted sales of 27,382 hybrid vehicles, up 46 percent over last June. Toyota Division posted sales of 25,689 hybrids, up 48 percent over the same period last year. Lexus Division posted sales of 1,693 hybrids, an increase of 15 percent over last June.

Keep on Hybridizing America!!!
  • 1stpik1stpik Posts: 495
    This is why people buy hybrids:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

70/30 hwy/city miles

65 mph highway speed

100% a/c use (Texas)

36 psi tires

In other words, this is a real world number, not the result of over-inflated tires, wimpy top speed or a sweaty driver saving a few mpg by turning off the a/c.

The more people see how efficient these cars are, the more people buy them.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "The more people see how efficient these cars are, the more people buy them."

Did you mean to post everything except the MPG?
    Hybrids now 2.5% of US Sales market

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
    Hybrid Penetration.

According to a report from PIN Insights,
    published by Power Information Network, a division of J.D. Power and Associates, hybrid penetration has increased by one-third from a last year, up to 2.5%. Toyota has the largest penetration of hybrids, with over 1 in 10 of every vehicle sold being a hybrid. Lexus is second with 5% of all cars sold under the Lexus nameplate bearing a hybrid badge. Saturn is a surprising third, at almost 4%. Honda, Mercury Ford, and Nissan follow in order.

Considering how few carmakers sell hybrids (only seven of the thirty seven), a penetration of 2.5% is pretty remarkable.

There is no distinction being made between full and mild hybrids in the report.
    'Yota sales July 2007

Camry Hybrid reported sales of 4,329 units in July. The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever July sales of 16,062, an increase of 50.5 percent over July 2006.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Prius 16,062
    Camry 4,329
    Highlander 1205
    RX400 1385
    GS450 142
    Total 23,123

Accord 260
    Civic 2493
    Total 2753

Escape/Mariner 1578
    Altima 1131

Total Sales 28,585 and its 12 % increase over July-2006. This is despite a 12 % decrease in the overall vehicle sales.

Hybrids have 2.2 % market share in July-2007.
    Luckily Toyota is reducing the price of Prius by 1,200 and Camry by 1,000 and this should help increase the sales in August.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    It's nice to talk about hybrids,but it's just talk right now.In my state ,Illinois,it's virtually impossible to find one. :(
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I'll just add that while the current crop of hybrids are fine vehicles, I don't think they are anywhere near the final solution to the problem of fuel efficiency improvement.
    We need a bit of a breakthrough in battery technology or something like the diesel-like gasoline engine to take us to another level.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If the HCCI engines do appear then that will improve efficiency by 15-20%. The current crop of hybrids do better than that immediately.

The new CAFE standards that are likely to be adopted in the next session of Congress are likely to be the catalyst for lots of improvements across the board. GM's debut of the 2-Modes for the heavy vehicles is a big improvement if the numbers really come in at 30+% improvement. As long as the cost of the 2M's isn't too high this will give the give a big boost to our fuel-savings-efforts.

Additionally converting the fleet of mid-sized trucks and BOF SUVs to diesel is a big priority. This too should save a lot of fuel possibly giving this segment a boost from the 18-22 mpg to the 25-30 mpg range.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Anyone got any opinions about the Green Aura,or the Green Chevy sedan?Is the gas savings enough to bother?
    'Worth it' is a personal preference. Do you like the vehicles enough to buy them with no regard for some fuzzy fuel saving amount? If so then the fuel savings are an added bonus.

That being said the 2-Modes will be more efficient in fuel savings than the current mild hybrid versions.
    All HCCI is doing is improving the efficiency of the ICE. Hybrid systems would still add to that efficiency gain.

It's amazing how people are quick to defend their ox when it isn't even being gored! ;)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Point scored. Touche'
    Kewl... I'm ahead 1-0!!!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever August sales of 14,055, an increase of 25.7 percent over August 2006.

Prius not slowing down

Toyota ALONE is on pace to sell 284,000 hybrids in the USA this year.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    Mighty optimistic when overall Toyota hybrid sales for August were down from a year ago. Without incentives it should be a real slow last 3 months of the year for hybrids. I don't see where Lexus sold any LS600hybrids in August. Did they forget to include them or did everyone back out of the pre-orders?

I say 240k max total hybrids for Toyota this calendar year. Honda may as well pack it in and Nissan is not interested in selling any more than they have to. GM should just call it a loss and pull the plug on their hybrid program. Saturn hybrids are a big expense with no profit possible with all the problems. I am so thankful I got most of my money back out of my Sierra Hybrid. Lucky there are still a few people that think they are a great deal. Never again for me.
This discussion has been closed.