Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 400h Accessories and Modifications

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
edited March 12 in Lexus
Talk about RX 400h accessories here!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• chtimi59chtimi59 Posts: 3
    Could anybody tell me what brand of windshield sunshade fits the RX 400h the best ? Thanks in advance.
    :shades:
  • dmbfloridadmbflorida Posts: 38
    Where might I buy discounted accessories for the RX 400h such as front and rear floor mats? I prefer carpet not rubber mats.
    I need all contact info and estimated pricing. thanks.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    check out www.irontoad.com

they sell OEM lexus accessories for much lower prices than the dealer.

Also check out ebay.com
  • anabatanabat Posts: 3
    Dealer tells me that the car is out of the factory and on the dock or on the boat.

I have the temp. VIN and would like to track it if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Neil
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The only way you can track your vehicle is thru your dealer. That means you basically gotta believe what they tell you.
  • maxamigomaxamigo Posts: 72
    Lookng at rubber mats at autopart stores, I said the same thing until I ventured to buy Lexus rubber mats. They are made of far softer plastic. I am very pleased with them (on my 330).

Stilll waiting for my 400h delivery. Dealer told me it's at the port... for over a week now.
  • I installed the Waag rear bumper guard on my 400h, and it fits, if you cut a slot in a plastic cover on the left underside of the car. The cover is removable, and I think it's function is actually more to fill a void for aerodynamic puposes than to cover anything. I just cut a slot with a hacksaw blade.

I know that the Waag big brush guard won't fit, but wonder if the smaller frontrunner does. It is a more involved installation, involving the removal of the front facia and bumper. Waag doesn't know if it will fit, anyone heard of a front bumper guard, Waag or any other, that fits?
  • lexrexbluelexrexblue Posts: 38
    Anyone purchase and have the cargo net installed? I'm contemplating getting it. I loved it in my old RX and the little bins don't always fit my needs. With the extra carpet in the back they are awkward to leave open.
  • 400h4me400h4me Posts: 4
    You are lucky if you get a tracking number! I have been on a waiting list at my Lexus dealer since March 2004. We started out on a list at number 26 and now have moved up to number 6. The dealer thinks it my be sometime in August before we see the car we ordered so long ago. I find it very disappointing to hear about dealers having cars just waiting for someone to come in a buy without having to wait. It's funny that there are so many extra cars to be sold in other states and you can't find or even see one in California!!!! :mad:
    Does anyone know what blue tooth cell phones work best with the Lexus 400h? I know the web site Lexus recommends has only one service provider listed and if you know what phone works best it could help with my decision on picking the service provider. :confuse:
  • horns1976horns1976 Posts: 56
    Dylan...did Waag tell you that the "big brush guard" won't fit?? My brother wants to put the WAAG center guard on his 400h.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,043
    My brother wants to put the WAAG center guard on his 400h

Why? Lexus says not to take the 400h off the road.
    I called WAAG. The center guard, P/N 12965, will not fit on the 400h. "Too many changes to accomodate the hybrid system" per WAAG.
    No plans to off-road...strictly for looks.
  • oiseauxnooiseauxno Posts: 4
    We were ecstatic to learn, while we were still on a 400h waiting list, that Lexus had partnered with the XM satellite people. We had been using an XM radio in another car and were expecting to transfer it over or, better still, find that the car came with it already hard-wired. Of course neither was the case. The dealer here in N.O. first said they could install it, then that they couldn't. I called some Lexus 800 number, and the Customer Service person I spoke with had to ask other people in the room whether the radio could be installed in the car. She finally came back with the news that Lexus '"can't" recommend it. I'm not sure whether there's a definitional difference in "can't", as opposed to "doesn't"!

I thought I remembered some thread way back about this issue - does anybody have any advice? I also maybe remember seeing somewhere that "some" dealers were installing them for people. Needless to say, rabid as we are for the radio, we don't want to do anything to void any part of the warranty.

Other than that, we're ecstatic with the car...mileage in this hellishly hot climate pretty much as reported elsewhere. Also we haven't seen another one anywhere either, which seems odd, given the manifest swellness of the car.
    I have read elsewhere that Cingular bluetooth phones typically work with no problems. Other providers' phones will work in some cases but you may encounter problems with certain functions. That's the short answer.
    Disclaimer: I do not work for any of the cellular providers and am not promoting one over the other. I am simply providing information in an attempt to be helpful.
  • markrogomarkrogo Posts: 50
    Bluetooth is a mess in the car. You can't make any calls when moving unless they are 1-touch numbers (18 max). You can't dial out with the phone (at least not with the Moto Razr) because of a "dark period" where both the phone and car are silent and your called party will start saying, "Hello, hello...." until you finally can speak to them.

You can receive calls very well, however.

Lexus is looking into the problem.

As for XM, I'm hoping the Coastaletech people's Prius mod works and allows for on-screen XM use. Otherwise, forget that too.

The electronics are hugely disappointing on a $50,000 car.
  • queenbqueenb Posts: 1
    I bought a Motorola Razr for specifically for use with my new car. It works well as far as the interface goes, but I agree with the comment that bluetooth is a mess in this car! My callers can't hear me well and consistently complain that it sounds like I'm in a barrel. The speakers are voice activated, so you have to wait until you're sure the caller is finished speaking to say anything, or they can't hear you...much like a walkie talkie. Also, you're supposed to be able to pick up the handset and have the call transfer so your passengers can't hear the call, and that doesn't work either. I'm totally frustrated with the whole mess, and have disconnected the feature until I can go back to the dealership and have them make it better, if possible. :mad: :cry: :sick:
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,043
    The electronics are hugely disappointing on a $50,000 car.

You have a right to be upset. I just bought a new GMC Sierra hybrid PU for $24k and it has both Onstar and XM. The Onstar I could care less about. I did not think I would want XM until having it. WOW, I like it and am hooked. For Lexus not to make that a standard option in a high end vehicle is a big mistake. Much more important than some goofy NAV system. Never been lost driving in 48 years. I hear the NAV is not as good as the one Honda uses anyway.
  • anabatanabat Posts: 3
    Has anybody put a simple receiver type trailer hitch on an RX-400h?
    what I want is only to use my bike rack that plugs into the receiver hitch. The sales mgr. at the dealer recommended that I use a 3rd. party hitch as the Lexus towing package is $800.

Would a non-Lexus hitch bolted onto the car void the warranty?
    anabat...I have been looking into this. So far, no luck with aftermarket hitch but I'm not giving up.
    Regarding dealer-installed hitches, I seem to recall reading a post somewhere that a couple of owners have installed RX330 hitches on the 400h. If I recall correctly, one owner did it himself and the other had the dealer do it. As you said, the cost of the Lexus hitch is prohibitive.
    There is a federal law prohibiting an auto manufacturer from voiding your warranty unless they can prove that what you did "damaged" the vehicle. This has been discussed at length on the web.
    When my brother bought his 400h, he asked the dealer about a trailer hitch. The salesman told him to go elsewhere because the Lexus hitch is too expensive...$900.
    Disclaimer: I don't work for Cingular also so I can say it Sucks big time! I have two sons that signed up for Cingular and have been sorry ever since. Very poor service in any area but around major shopping centers or freeways. Both sons can't receive service in their houses. They have to go outside and down to the corner to receive any signal. When they come to my house they don't get any service. My Verizon phone has 3 bars! Go figure. So why would I want a phone that works in my car as long as I'm close to a freeway and not in my house? Maybe Verizon has crippled their Blue tooth phones, but at less I get a cell everywhere. I can still use this phone in the car, but just can't export the address book. It's much more important to me to have good cells everywhere than trying to figure out how to make the phone work with my Lexus!! ;)
  • mirexmirex Posts: 68
    My salesman threw the cargo net for free. It fits fine and works the same as the one in my RX300. If you want to open the storage bins under the carpet, however, you need to unhook the cargo net before the bins will open.
  • Thanks. I plan to order one tomorrow.
  • lexi2lexi2 Posts: 1
    We have the flint 400h levinsoned, sweet. Has anyone added Jaos skid bars front and rear? Any modifications?

They are great on our LX470, very solid.
  • Thanks for the advice; I will check into the forum you suggested. We had the external thing mounted in an ML 320 (in fact it's still there) and it worked OK until I accidentally whacked it once, breaking the little piece of plastic that the radio fits into. Since that unhappy moment, it has spent the past 6 months "rubber-banded" together, which is marginal at best, and, shall we say, not terribly stylish. We may try literally wiring it together - but what a pain. Unfortunately, once you get used to XM, you don't want to do without it. I was so looking forward to an integral setup, and it absolutely sounded like that's what Lexus was going to do. You almost wonder if they don't deliberately hold back certain amenities, so they'll have something "new" for each succeeding model year, since that's what the American consumer expects - so silly. Alas.
  • bainsebainse Posts: 4
    Hitch is the same as for the RX 330. Available on commercial websites (e.g. drawtite-hitches.com) for about $135, without wiring harness. I'm told you can also order it from the dealer and install it yourself, for $260. Dealer installed mine for $615 including wiring harness (plug-in jack making it easy to plug in trailer lights). Higher cost due to Lexus markup to their dealers. It's a 2" hitch, which works with most bike racks.
  • has any looked into installing an aftermarked nav system. I live in hawaii and Lexus will not ship, even if special oreded, a RX with a nay system here. I know Pioneer makes a pretty good systme but not sure on where or how to have it installed. :confuse:
  • gunnergunner Posts: 10
    I put an Echard trailer hitch on my Lexus 400H. I cost $325.00 I purchased the electrical wiring harness at lexus for $45.00. Keys Lexus wanted $600.00.
  • gunnergunner Posts: 10
    For get it. I was told by Vista Lexus and Keyes Lexus that the radio was a direct feed. That means that you install an XM module and the XM radio stations can be seen on the radios lcd screen. After I purchased my 400H :lemon: I put the screws to the service manager and got the answer that I've stated above. NO NO NO NO. I have a 5 year contract with XM. & no use of it. Great lexus engineering. I've found many other issues that should not be on an expensive auto. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
This discussion has been closed.