Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    Since the S line 2.0 is going to be the current A3 with the sport package, I don't see much of a price increase for this car or any reason to wait for the S-line 2.0. As for the S3, all reports I've seen is that the US won't see the S3 before 2008 at the earliest.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,740
    If S3 comes in 2008, won't it most likely be based on the Golf Mk 6 platform? That would let Audi put in a bigger engine and offer a bigger dose of sport handling and performance.

A side note: Most of the "other" A3 forums speak of nothing but re-chipping the engines to get out every last HP. In some cases the results are shredded trans or half axles. But the chipping goes on.

I really wonder if the service techs and dealers catch this sort of thing.
  • ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    All we know is that the European S3 is a 272 hp version of the 2.0 liter engine with quattro and a 6 speed. I question whether you could put the added hp to use without quattro.
    Also, if they do catch the chip, your warranty is voided, Not worth it IMHO
  • coreyccoreyc Posts: 1
    I just got the following for $300 under invoice from San Francisco's dealer:

A3 2.0 DSG Lava Grey
    Premium Package
    Open Sky
    Premium Sound
    Bluetooth

Multiple dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area are offering $200-$300 under invoice, including (depending on circumstances):

* San Rafael
    * Oakland
    * San Francisco
    * Palo Alto
    * Burlingame

Now is the time to buy since they need to get rid of the '06s to make room for the '07s.

Good luck!
  • pokipokipokipoki Posts: 2
    I am about to buy my first "NEW" car from a dealer. I am looking at the same A3 2.0 package without the bluetooth. This may be a general question but what is the best way to approach the dealer?
    - What is the best deal you can give me?
    - I want the car for $xx,xxx.xx?
    - I want it for $xxx under invoice? (will dealers ever tell you what the invoice price is?)

I hope to be in my A3 soon, I just don't want to be screwed by a dealer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • ayyateayyate Posts: 53
    A few random thoughts about the buying process:

Consumer Reports makes this suggestion: Never negotiate down from the window sticker. Ålways negotiate up from the "real" dealer price. The "real" dealer price is not invoice, but the true price paid to the manufacturer after any dealer holdbacks (manufacturer incentives offered to the dealer) are deducted by the dealer from the so-called invoice. This information is not easy to get but it can be done. Consumer Reports will provide it for a nominal price (worth it, by the way). KBB.com will give you a fairly good idea what the invoice price is with the options you want, but will not tell you of any dealer holdbacks that are in effect. These can vary from dealer to dealer.

Your first suggestion "What is the best deal, etc.?" should never be spoken and I assume you are not serious. The salesman's reply to such a statement will often be something like this: "How much are you willing to pay?" This does not justify a response. Another trick they will try, once you have made an offer, is to say "Is that the best you can do?" This simply means they want you to negotiate with yourself. Do not fall for that either. Always be prepared to walk out the door if you believe you are being taken advantage of. Do not fall in love with a car or you are bargaining from a position of weakness.

Go in with a price in mind that you have given a good deal of thought to and be firm. This forum will provide good information from contributors with similar experiences. Take the time to read previous posts. As we near the end of a model year, good deals should be coming. If you can wait until the end of summer, the deals should even get better.

Good luck to you.
    While CU has worthwhile advice, keep in mind that the dealer has to make __some__ profit in order to stay in business.
    Some schleps pocket nearly all of it, others try to give the customer something back in way of better service or support.

The good and bad of the USA Automotive situation is the dealer, whether a standalone or part of a chain like Autonation, is an __independent businessperson__. And (sadly) the auto manufacturers expects the __dealer__ to perform all service and support for the product.

Also check the BBB, Chamber of Commerce, and other local sources to see how many complaints a given dealer may have outstanding, and/or whether there is a record of problems with customers. This is not foolproof, but can help weed out outright crooks.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Nobody is really getting "screwed" when they buy an A3. The average 30k A3 2.0 Turbo has less than $2000 of dealer profit. Even if you walk up and pay MSRP, your dealer is not licking their chops in how much money they made off an A3 sale. They probably make far money on used cars, Certified Audis, and the higher end stuff. So don't act so paranoid about buying an A3.

Maybe a few dealers will sell a little under invoice on 06's to clear them off the lot. 07's will be here in late July to early August.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    So what price did you get, before and after taxes and registration?

Since people seem to define invoice differently "$300 under" doesn't tell us as much.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Posts: 58
    Any info on the changes for '07 A3 models besides the S version and changes in maintaince paid for in warranty period? Debating between buy '06 or wait for '07. Thanks
  • I have an opportunity to purchase a base A3 with 9k on it for 21k even. Brilliant red - not the pearl effect. Catch: it was owned by a smoker and I don't smoke. The smell is quite bad. Dealer offered to ozone the car and change the charcoal air filtration filter. I'll probably also need to have it detailed to thoroughly clean the roof where the majority of the smoke probably affixed to. Body is in great shape.

Nearest as I can tell this is 4k cheaper than getting a new one for some inconvenience.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

- Jeff
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    My advise is to call around to some dealers and see if they have any new base cloth cars in stock. If you're really sensitive to smoke, that might be a deal breaker.

FYI, Audi just put $1500 dealer cash on select A3's. But they were only on early vin #'s that are considered old units. You might find an old unit cloth car that's been sitting on a dealer lot that they may cut loose at the end of the year for a good price.

A cloth A3 has very little markup in it, though. Maybe 1500 bucks. But if you get the $1500 dealer old unit cash and buy for invoice, that turns a $25.6K base (no sunroof - 6 speed) cloth car into one for 22.6K that's never been smoked in.
  • justin12justin12 Posts: 18
    Is Audi going to put the Quattro in standard A3's or am I going to have to shell out 37K for an S3?
  • miamibobmiamibob Posts: 6
    this was my most pleasant car buying experience ever. this dealership does it their way. they sell only very hi-end imports. audi is their low end product. this is how the other half buys a car.

IF YOU WANT A 2006 A3 CALL THE COLLECTION, coral gables, fl. they still have stock. ask for the audi sales manager. tell him you don't need a test drive and you are ready to buy.

polite; no high pressure; they put the invoice on the table; and it only gets better from there.
    espresso, soft drinks...........everything except a shoe sign.

march, 2006, i originally called the Collection to find out if i could rent an A3. when hertz did not have any a3's to rent, the sales manager offered me a take home test drive. i told them i was not ready to buy and i had not decided on audi much less the a3---no problem--take the car and enjoy.

later i shopped three other dealers and got an idea what was what. i wanted to not go back to the Collection until i was ready and did not need to kick the tires.

i made an appointment to meet with the audi sales manager who had arrange for the march test drive. he showed me his inventory list. the sales manager for audi put the invoices on the table without any nonsense. he sold me the car and had a salesman do the legwork. i'm not permitted to mention names here or i would plug the salesman. he couldn't do enough to help me.

i kept waiting for the pressure. it never happened.
    yes, i had to pay the stupid advertising fee, but they crossed-out the other junk fees. even the finance manager
    was a sweet heart---explained every available item without any hard sell. i'm an attorney and usually drive finance people to drink. she made some suggestions,i called my accountant and he said she was right and i followed her advice----do not lease the a3. buy it or walk away. audi offers 4.9% 60 month financing

they knew i did internet research and requested that i don't post numbers. i want to keep my word to good people like this group.....i never would believe that i would say this about a car dealer. the competion 20 miles north broke my balls and wanted $1000. more.....why deal with that if you can deal with people who treat you like an human being.

i love my a3, premium, auto, open sky. there isn't too much 2006 stock left, now's the time. the a3 will become a cult item and will hold it's resale value.

bob
    There is no A3 Quattro for the standard 2.0T engine for the forseeable future. If you want Quattro, the A3 3.2 S is your only choice.
    VW, so far, isn't bringing the 2.0 R32 over here either.
  • I faxed a price quote request to Sales Managers at several area dealers. This was at the end of the model year and the quarter. I got a 30% response rate, roughly. I had a somewhat higher return rate for VW dealers in 2002, but not much. The CROOKS at Brookline Audi/VW of Brookline, MA bid for only $1000 under MSRP, which was about $600 higher than any other bid! Their service department is deplorable, too. Ira Motor Group was also a bad experience.

I wound up buying from Langan Motor Car in Schenectady, NY. The salesman did not include any fees in his quote. He was honest when he couldn't match my independent financing. (Other dealers had offered 4.9% Audi financing on the same vehicle, but given the small amount I'm financing, this wasn't enough to matter vs. their price differences.)

Invoice: $35,953 (-$0)
    Paid: $35,558 (-$395)
    TMV: $37,119 (+$1,166)
    MSRP: $38,735 (+$2,782)
    After tax and registration: $37,421.90 (not comparable across states)

Next-best bids were $150 under invoice, $100 over, $350 over.

My yardstick for comparing quotes (since the options packages varied) was purchase price + finance charges vs. purchase price + finance charges for Edmunds TMV.

If I had it to do over, I would've either: Added the invoice and TMV prices to my letter (which simply asked for a final, best bid) -OR- negotiated directly on the phone, playing dealership quotes against each other. Both of these might've prevented dealers from making ridiculously bad offers.

There you have it. Enjoy!

g!
  • ayyateayyate Posts: 53
    Very complete explanation. Thanks for going to the trouble. It sounds as if you may (?)have been able to squeeze out a bit more, but probably not much. All in all, I think you did well.

I am sure you know this, but now that you have completed the deal, you must not look back. If you continue watching other prices paid, sooner or later, someone will have paid less.

Hope you enjoy the car.
  • Hi,
    I am looking into a certified pre-own A3 to take advantage of the extended warranty. When search through the inventory of certified pre-own A3 on audiusa.com, the price is not much different than a new vehicle. What is the bargaining range for pre-owned vehicles? Is there any gauge like TMV for pre-owns?
  • raycarraycar Posts: 3
    If someone who works for Audi Finance ever reads this forum can you tell us when they will develop a decent leasing program for the A3. A friend of mine works in the finance group at GM and he told me that leasing programs are set many months in advance. So if someone actually knows please share with the rest of us.
    Thx
  • jpfivejpfive Posts: 37
    They do have a good degree of latitude. Pre-owned pricing is pretty off base at luxury dealers. Volvo seems ok, but Lexus, BMW, and Audi are out of whack.

Check the "retail" pricing on kbb.com
  • middlp23middlp23 Posts: 11
    Hi...I'm almost 16 and ive been looking for a car to get, would anyone reccomend this car for me? How would it fair as a daily driver? What are any inherent problems I would have to deal with? Whats reliability like?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,794
    Hi, middlp23

Since this is a pricing discussion, you might get more response by posting in the general Audi A3 discussion..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I was offered 1500$ off MSRP for a 2007 A3 as part of Military Pricing, custom configured any way I want. What do you guys think of this?

It would be 26,820 + Destination + any options - $1500 delivered (well tax and tag are separate of course) for the 2.0T with DSG.

Also if anyone wants a copy of the MSRP figures for all the base 2007 a3 and options I could probably post it on the web.
  • nyaudimenyaudime Posts: 8
    A3 2.0T DSG
    Premium
    Cold weather
    Metallic paint

Located at a West coast dealer.

MSRP: $30,110
    Selling price: $24,990

Only catch is the car was "the" test drive car and has 900 miles. The warranty was not punched, so it is valid for 5 years, but only 49K miles. I am a bit suspicious of this. What does everyone think of the 900 miles?
    My local dealer is advertising $3K off MSRP on a new A3.. For only 900 miles, an extra $2K is a lot more off.... more than a dealer will usually offer..

The 900 miles wouldn't bother me.. but, I'd want an independent mechanic/body shop to check that car over to make sure it hasn't been wrecked.. I'm a bit suspicious, as well..

If it all checks out, it sounds like a great deal.. By the way, the warranty is 4yr/50K, not 5yr/50K (pretty sure).

regards,
    kyfdx

• nyaudimenyaudime Posts: 8
    I have the vin number and it checked out as having no history of repairs, etc. Is this enough, or do I still need someone to check it over?
  • lessavy5lessavy5 Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 A3 3.2 with 5K miles on it (xenon, cold, light silver, open sky). Sticker is $37,750, Invoice is: Edmunds and KBB--> $35,057. The dealer is offering in the vicinity of $33,000. I'd like to think that I could get more than $2,000 off of invoice for a gently used, warranty-already-started (about 7 months ago), outgoing 2006 model here at the end of the summer. Is $30,000 appropriate? $31,000? My "walking" price would be $31,500. Also, Edmunds lists the first year depreciation at just over $8,000. Taking half of that off invoice puts the car @ $31,000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    If it is still a new car, Carfax won't have anything on it...

You might start out by asking them straight out if the car has ever had body work...

It might be a great deal... you just have to be careful..

• ak496ak496 Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new 2006 A3 2.0T base trim, no options, black in color with a walk out price of $23,800. This is figure translates to $1,300 under invoice and transportation which seems like a good deal to me...

I am wondering about the extended warranty for 3,500 bucks which adds 3 years to the 4 year factory and an additional 50K miles bumper to bumper, and is transferable one time as to help with resale value. Does this seem like a good option to take?
  • Seems like you got a good deal. I bought:

2006 A3 2.0T DSG
    Premium package
    Cold weather package
    Metallic paint

MSRP: $30,085
    Selling price: $24,886
This discussion has been closed.