Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about Fuel Systems

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
This forum is a "catch-all" for any questions about Fuel Systems on any car. This would include things like fuel leaks, injector problems, fuel pumps and relays, types of gasoline, additives, fuel filters, etc. It's about WHAT THE FUEL ACTUALLY TOUCHES, okay?

This forum is NOT about engine management systems, like computers, throttle bodies, air filters, sensors, etc.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Comments

• steve2005steve2005 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Chevy Venture. When I got this (at approx 100K mile), I was told that the fuel filter had been recently changed. After a couple months, I had a strong gas smell which I traced to leaks at the press-on fittings of the fuel filter. I replaced it, and all was well for another 20K, then the same leak showed up again.
    Is it common for these filter fittings to leak? What can I do to prevent it? I can't believe it to be the normal way to indicate it's time to replace the filter. Any GM recall on this topic?
  • mitkelmitkel Posts: 1
    Where is the fuel filter located in a 1998 Dodge Intrepid?
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    I currently own a 2003 Honda Civic SI. Based upon information in Civic SI forum, the dealership, and the owners manual, it appears that fuel filters are NOT a maintenance item for this type of car. An acquantaince owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and he commented that the Tacomas are similar (i.e. filters are not part of the maintenance program).

This brings up several questions:
    1. What is the filter material in the current Civic SI's and why is it impervious to all contamination in gasoline and incapable of a pressure drop?
    2.. How can something actually be filtered if it doesn't require maintenance (i.e. it would seem that a screen mesh would have a pore size too large to be effective)?

As a sidenote, the person who owned the Tacoma hit 80,000 miles and went to the dealership (complained of sluggishness) and asked for the filter to be changed. The dealer insisted that it wasn't the filter without any checking. After 20 minutes of arguing, the dealer finally conceded and changed the filter (sluggishness went away). Is there some type of conspiracy here by Honda and Toyota to complicate fuel problems?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I don't think that there's any type of conspiracy involved. The owners manual for my 04 Pontiac also states that the fuel filter shouldn't need to be changed "under normal use". Probably since the quality of pump fuel has improved greatly in the past couple of decades (at least in this country). It also seems to me that the filters are physically larger than in the past.
    If you experience other than "normal use"; off highway, questionable sources of fuel, etc; then you may want to change it for peace of mind. In my own opinion it probably good advice to change it out at 100K miles, which is when major service is recomended for most models today.
  • '99 Dodge Grand Caravan, problem with the fuel system. If this vehicle had a carberator, you would think the problem was an accelorator pump going bad. Anybody have any idea what could cause this problem on a mult-port fuel injection system?
  • mjohnson4mjohnson4 Posts: 1
    My son had the same problem with his. He could pump the throttle and it would start but was real sluggish, on the road. There was very little pressure on the rail at check point. We changed the filter and fuel pump. It runs great. Hope this helps you.
  • bobbrenbobbren Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 tracker. I was driving and the thing just stopped. It did this one year ago and I discovered it was a problem with the computer. The computer was not telling the fuel where to go I guess. It happened to me again. If I manually put fuel in the vehicle will start but will not stay running. When this mysterious thing happens it just quits with no warning. Is it possible that there is a fuel problem that will keep persisting if I don't fix it or would it simply be that the computer has a bad connection. Any suggestion will be helpful, I am stumped.
  • i ran my ford ranger out of gas. Put gas in it and nothing it just wouldn't start , i have put a new fuel pump in and a new filter ,new gas and a lot of time while trying to start i have now ran my battery down , i went and brought a quick start jump thing and tried to start it, and it almost started sounds like it wants to start but just not getting enough gas i then tried getting the air out of the line, but still no start and i now need to recharge my new jump start thing, while doing this a friend suggested changing the in line filter so i did ,now with the jump start thing i try again and now i am not getting any gas . the pump is running ok when i turn car over but no gas getting to injector. hey guys i'm just a girl and i have had it ! i need some help , what do i do now?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The Tracker computer supplies the 12V feed to the fuel injector, and turns the ground on and off to fire it. You can verify the wiring connectors between the computer and injector, but it's usually a defective computer. They're so common where I live that even the recycling yards carry rebuilt ones.
    Has the pump operation been verified? Has fuel pressure been checked? Is there a strong blue spark at the plugs? Throwing parts at it can get expensive in a hurry.
  • flintskiflintski Posts: 1
    What is the locations of the 1998 dodge grand caravan fuel filters.
    Left side of the fuel tank. You'll probably have to lower the tank to access the quick connect fittings.
  • i have an 89 gmc 4x4 with a 350 throttle body fuel injection and it idles high how do i adjust it down
  • peter21peter21 Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me locate a picture of a3.4 chey engine that would show me locations of the parts Thank you
    Which parts?
  • hzlholmeshzlholmes Posts: 1
    why is my car cutting off and won't stay running
  • anyone know where the fuel filter should be? I have tracked up and down the frame along the fuel lines with no luck. I removed the skid plate over the tank, no luck. Truck is idleing rough so I replaced plugs, wires, etc, BUT I CAN"T FIND THE FUEL FILTER! Truck was wrecked by previous owner. Is it possible that when fixed, person repairing decided to run lines straight to engine from tank? If this has happened, should I install a filter, and if yes, where?

Thanks,
    Jay
    4 Runner 4WD, Pickup 4WD, T 100 4WD? Which flavour Toyota 4X4 do you have? My crystal ball is in for service.
  • In 94, they just called it a "pickup". Since then it has become the Tacoma. It is a 4 cyl. with the 22RE engine. It has a manual transmission.
    My info's a bit vague on that one, but here's what I have. Might be under the injection manifold:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/fd/fa/09- 00823d8015fdfa.jsp
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
    We'd need year make model engine and better description of symptoms.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I think you may have hit the nail on the head. We have not checked under the injector manifold. BUT, I did get the idleing problem fixed today. Tightened a pin under the throttle linkage and it smoothed right on out. Thanks for the help. Now it's time to work on the Volvo. :)
    Glad to hear you got one sorted out. Good luck with the Volvo.
  • Thanks. Working on that thing is tight quarters and the parts aren't exactly cheap. I just hope I can get another 185k out of it.
  • ttvjottvjo Posts: 4
    yes, i have a 2003 ford expedition with 55,000 miles on it i raned it low of gas a few times now it is hesitating when i'm trying to accelerate, it goes real slow and then gradually pick up then start fading out again and sometimes jerk a little bit what is wrong anyone know should i change the fuel filter or is it my fuel pump.. also where can i get cheap parts from the dealership is so high....i have tried gas treatment but it didn't work.....it got worser at a half of tank of gas :cry: please help me out i just a little old lady...thanks
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    try replacing the fuel filter first. it's a little interesting to work on... bolted underneath, has those silly spring clips on it, you have to bleed the pressure off first at the fuel rail... but you're due on that. aftermarket filters from a quality source like wix should be less than the dealer cost. any decent auto parts store will have a filter for that vehicle in stock.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    2002 Silverado, 8.1L, 73K mi. - This truck has seen a gradual reduction in fuel mileage over the last six months. Besides plugs, what constitutes a tune-up? Should the injectors be removed and cleaned? as well as O2 sensors? Thanks.

-David
    "Besides plugs, what constitutes a tune-up?"

Plug wires, air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter.

"Should the injectors be removed and cleaned?"

No.

"as well as O2 sensors?"

No. Oxygen sensors will gradually deteriorate, and when they do they'll tend to slow down their response to changes in exhaust gas oxygen content. The proper way to check an O2 sensor is to monitor it's activity on a scan tool, watching for swings between low and high voltage output.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    "watching for swings between low and high voltage output"

Is that a good thing or bad thing? :)
    And, what kind of scan tool? Thanks alcan.

-David
  • I have a 2000 Ford Windstar that "lurches" for lack of a better description, while driving it. It is barely noticable but the engine light has come on. Does that sound like a fuel system problem?