Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuel Systems -- Maintenance & Repair

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,882
This forum is for "fuel systems", which means, ANY COMPONENT THAT THE FUEL COMES IN CONTACT WITH.

This would include injectors, injector rail, fuel pump, fuel relays, filters, gas tank, filling spouts, and the fuel itself or its additives.

This forum is generally NOT for engine management systems, air filters, throttle bodies, sensors, etc., which should go in "Technical Questions" or in the forum for your particular car.

Comments

• cheri05cheri05 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have had the fuel injection replaced 3 times in the last 3 years.
    The last one was only 60 miles ago and needs replacement again.
    Could this be a factory defect on the Jimmy or could it be a parts defect???
    I am desperate for answers, does anyone know where I can go for some Honest answers?
    Thank You
    che`ri :sick: ">
  • mslaymslay Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 95 toyota pickup 5 speed 2.4 liter engine. I know my problem but need to know how to fix it. The problem is I have a bad fuel pump that is inside the fuel tank. What I need to know is how do I replace it? Thanks
  • bluzmonbluzmon Posts: 3
    Go to your favorite auto parts store and buy an after market electric fuel pump.

Install it inline to your fuel line. You need to check to make sure fuel will still pass through the old pump first.
    I have done this more than once with great results.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,882
    Not sure what you mean by replacing the fuel injection. The injection system is comprised of many components.

• johnson9johnson9 Posts: 2
    HAVE A PERKINS DIESEL
    REPLACED ALL FILTERS AND FEED PUMP
    ALL LINES BEEN BLEED
    FUEL GOING TO INJECTOR PUMP BUT DOES NOT LEAVE PUMP
    GOING TO INJECTORS.
    Question: How can you have bled the lines when there is no fuel going to the injectors?

• johnson9johnson9 Posts: 2
    OK I BLEED INJECTOR PUMP BUT CAN"T BLEED LINES GOING TO INJECTORS NO FUEL WILL NOT COME OUT . TRYED TURNING ENGINE WITH LINES LOOSE AT INJECTORS NO FUEL COMING OUT
    I'm not familiar with this engine so....is this a mechanical pump? If so, what feeds it---a rear electric pump? If so, have you check for fuel going into your injection pump and all filters, etc.?

I know this sounds obvious but I'm trying to check your work here.

• 25332533 Posts: 1
    Can the elements of fuel pumps be interchanged with two different Make. What are the possible problems that may occur if you do that?
  • kmeltonkmelton Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located in a 2000 Ford Excursion V-8 5.4 liter? DO I need to release the fuel pressure when changing it and do I need a special tool to get it out?

thanks
    ken
    You might want to post this question in the Ford Excursion Owners: Problems and Solutions forum.

Shifty the Host

• kratus1kratus1 Posts: 33
    I have a distinct humming coming from the rear of my subaru and I think it's most likely the fuel pump....should this be a big concern or no?...
    Hard to say since on some cars the pumps are inherently more noisy than others. If it suddenly got noisy, that could indicate some wear, sure. As for "concern"....you know...there's not much you can do about it and really, if it dies it's not the end of the world, like a timing belt breakage might be.

• dave57dave57 Posts: 1
    What is the procedure to remove the fuel pump module from the tank?
  • sheba68sheba68 Posts: 2
    I am considering buying this vehicle. It has 143k miles and a good price, but...
    The foglights, cruise control, and rear brake lights do not work. All fuses have been checked and are okay. The button for the foglights does not stay pushed in and if I hold it in, the lights still do not come on. The parking lights work, but do the brakes work a second bulb? Or is it a two stage bulb? As for the cruise control, I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!!
  • sheba68sheba68 Posts: 2
    Also, the low fuel light comes on and goes off while driving with plenty of gas in the tank. I am completely lost on this one.
  • srwasrwa Posts: 1
    Fuel problem;

Only getting 8.23 volts at the fuel pump power connector. Pump wont run. Voltage at the ASD(automatic shutdown relay) is 12.36v on both sides when key is on.

Where do I look?

Ken
  • mek0123mek0123 Posts: 33
    Ran over a piece of steel that punctured steel gasoline tank on '98 Blazer w/110K miles. (Original owner). Drove it to dealership and left it in nightdrop. Monday morning they called with a $800.00 quote. Had it towed to local shop and they put tank on for almost 1/3 price. Truck wouldn't start and fuel pump diagnosed as bad now. No power from the pump was the diagnosis. (Second fuel pump now as original replaced under warranty at 60K due to low pump volume). What could the dealership do that would have caused the pump to allegedly be bad?? It was running fine before this. 4.3L engine, 4x4 w/ 18 gallon tank. I visually checked relay and fuse and found nothing apparently out or order. Any ideas on what else to check in case the pump is good? Can anybody give me any ideas?
  • debugdebug Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 S10 2.8 that wont start, hot or cold, with out priming the throttle body first. New fuel pump, new IAC, no codes. The truck runs rough after getting started acts like it is over fueling. I have checked the pressure regulator but I was told that some of theses throttle bodies have a free flow regulator in them and that they will not build much pressure. One mechanic suggested a spider gear?? I haven't seen any information about such a thing. I need a break down of this throttle body and some specs on it if possable...... lost and in need of help
    thank you
    Jeff (debug) :cry:
  • jak5jak5 Posts: 1
    I have an MX-6 (1988) standard. The fuel pump pressure looks good. I've changed the fuel filter. The car will idol and accelerate in the drive way just fine, however when driving the power to the fuel pump is being cut off intermittently. (I temporarily installed a brake light above the fuel pump in the back seat.) After stalling the engine will start again just fine.
  • i havce a 1996 mazda 626 lately been driving really bad and using lots of fuel felt like fuel not getting through changed plugs anf fuel filter it was then i saw a vacuum hose had snapped off but aft looking for hours still cant find out where it has come from and is now drrriving me crazy but am not gonna let it beat me please help
  • erik_8erik_8 Posts: 1
    How would a non-mechanic know that their fuel pump is on the brink? I took my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport into the Dealer for the 20-some odd point inspection. The mechanic heard a very high-pitched sound coming from the middle of the vehicle, possibly over where the fuel pump is located on the gas tank. Every other time I took it there, they could never hear it. He wanted $175. to tell me if the pump is bad or not, then another $750. - 850. to install a new one. This high pitch noise has been randomly sounding on and off for almost a year. A new fuel pump can only be purchased at Chrysler/Dodge garage, but I found a used one at a salvage yard from a wrecked Town&Country. I also purchased a new O-ring for ten bucks (what a rip...) Has anyone ever heard this noise before their fuel pump went bad?? Is this a real sign its going bad and needs replaced? I could use some recommendations if anyone has experienced this, or from some awesome mechanics......
  • Can anyone tell me the ball-park price of having a new fuel pump installed in a 1996 GMC Yukon truck. My son just purchased the truck and a week later the fuel pump has gone bad. I have been quoted $450.00 is that about right and if so do you think the truck is worth keeping, it has 180,000 miles. Also, the air conditioner isn't working the boy who he got the truck from said it needs a need metal pipe installed. Would anyone know how much that's going to cost? Help, single mother trying to raise a son on her on. thanks,cheryl :blush: :blush:
  • Jimmy started to stall on the highway, after sitting awhile started up again. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, problem occurred again. Took to dealership, ran vehicle until problem happened again. Now telling me I need another fuel pump and/or sending unit. This is the second time in two years that I have replaced fuel pump/filter. Is anyone else having this problem or have had it and figured out the cause. Looking at $900.00 repair, hate to spend it if problem will be continuing. Thanks in advance for any info. :confuse:
  • tbobbtbobb Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem with my 1998 GMC Jimmy. I need another fuel pump In less than 6 months. This is crazy these things are expensive. I will check the fuel filter as well, but I would think because I needed one 2 weeks after I bought the truck that the dealer would have replaced it at the same time. :cry: :confuse: :mad: :(
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    uh, maybe kept trying to start the car to drive it in to replace a bad and empty fuel tank? lot jockeys are not always the highest mammal on the food chain. I made sure to put a big bold sign over the dash on my exploder when I, uh, discovered that you need a serpentine belt tool to get a new belt on my truck so they wouldn't try to start it up and tear the new belt and who knows what all else up spinning the half-installed belt off. it worked, everybody complained about how heavy that truck was to push uphill ;)
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    clever test. however, the fuel pump does not run full-time, but based on the output of a pressure switch at the fuel pressure regulator, is switched on and off as needed through a relay. possible things to look at are the relay, the pressure switch if a separate part, or the fuel pressure regulator. that can either be on/near the back of the engine, or in the fuel pump assembly itself. worth changing the relay just because it's cheap and easy to get to, and enough of them get funny that it's a natural place to start. if you have to have a mechanic do it, it's probably cheaper to do a system diagnosis on the flowchart than to sling parts in order of cost, because the labor will have to be done over and over, and it's going to be the highest cost part of the job.
  • ttavttav Posts: 1
    I have an 88 S10 that is doing the same thing. I am about to replace the fuel pump but after reading your email I will do a few more test. I've tested all of the sensors, looked at the pressure regulator, and went through the ingnition system. The last thing I did was prime the throttle body and it ran for a couple of seconds. The spray from the nozzles doesn't look like what is shown in the book. The spark plugs were soaked last time I pulled them which puzzles me. Did you figure our your problem?

Tom
  • after discussing the problem with others I understand that the 98 tank is under full pressure. Your inline check valve may be failing. Anyone been trying to syphon you gas? :confuse: