Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuel Systems -- Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• No-nothing has really changed. If anything, I'm driving more conservatively and inflated tires higher. No leaks, nothing obvious.

Thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I would post your question in the Passat board. Since you have a turbo, there could be an issue there.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0a3002/
  • Thanks. I'll check it out. I should add that I took it to dealer a couple days ago. They said they didn't see a problem and to make sure I use premium gas. Didn't sound like much of a rec.
  • nscrfnnscrfn Posts: 1
    84 chevy c10 w/2bbl 305 has a dead spot in carb.Rebuilt carb thinking it would fix problem but it didnt.What else can be done to remedy this?Please help!
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Did the rebuild include replacing the 'power piston'? A bad one can reduce acceleration a bunch.

Lots of other things could be wrong, especially with a carb this old. Air leaks around worn out shafts on the throttle will make it run lean, etc, etc, etc.

Problem in the distributor with the advance?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,656
    Bad vacuum advance will have this symptom. Also carbs need to be accuracy set up after the rebuild with everything in specification.
  • jstawskijstawski Posts: 11
    Hi everyone!

Here's my story! I have a 2006 Volvo S40 Lease that is up on April 1st. About 2 months ago my Check Engine Light came on and I drove the car to the dealer to get it fixed (still under warranty). They've told me the problem is the Throttle Body is dirty and they have to do a Throttle Body Service ($150). They also told me they will clean it up and run the computer test again to see if the problem goes away if it doesn't they will have to continue troubleshooting and fixing. This sounds to me that $150 can easily become thousands!

Car history:
    On a very rainy day I drove the car into a big puddle of water and it hydrolocked the engine. The engine was changed at the same dealership mentioned above. I performed the scheduled maintenances and use regular fuel.

I don't care to properly fix the car, i just want to fix it enough for the Check Engine light to go away until after I return the vehicle. I know the Throttle Body cleaner is $5 dollars, but although i'm a very handy person I don't know enough about engines to take them apart. I don't even think i have the right tools.

What do you recommend? Should I try to clean the Throttle myself or let the dealer do it? Is it very easy to clean it? Take it apart? Should i take it somewhere else?

Thanks in advance....
    This might help you.

Cleaning Throttle Bodies

Also check YouTube for throttle body cleaning videos!

Without knowing what the code # was that the dealer scanned, I have no way to guide you as to whether their approach is correct or not. You might see if Autozone would scan your car for free and come up with a code for us.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    What do you thinik of "Seafoam" for cleaning throttle bodies?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Not worth the price of the can. The TB needs agitation to clean. Seafoam is impressive with all the white smoke it makes must be good for mosquito control.
    Yeah he's right. You need to scrub.
    I went to AutoZone and ran a diagnostic test. Here is the result:

Code: P0171

Definition:
    Fuel trim bank one condition

Explanation:
    The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sendsor to calculate the air/fuel ratio of the engine. The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only.

Probable Causes:
    1. If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel pressure or MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor.
    2. Oxygen sensor defective.
    3. Ignition misfire-repair.
    4. Fuel injector problem.

Troubleshotting: N/A
    OEM Brand: OBDII

The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 1 was too lean. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank).

What do you think?
    Well that's just a generic code, doesn't tell you much.

This could be a vacuum leak in/under the intake manifold or a leaking "J' pipe for the evaporative emissions systems. Use of a smoke machine can usually dig this out. So you might snoop around for vacuum leaks...that will trigger P0171 I am told.
    I'm car ignorant so everything you just said is like chinese to me. Should i just take it to the dealership? The guy at Autozone told me that I hsouldn't trust any other mechanic with my Volvo other than the dealership cause they are very complicated.

is he right?
    Don't you have some independent Volvo shop in your area. Maybe AAA can recommend one.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Last I seen dealerships were running upwards of $125/hr for labor. Imagine taking two hours to diagnose and a hour to repair. Plus parts marked up at 100% would give me an uneasy feeling. Find a local shop specializing in imported cars.
    Isn't the car still under warranty?

Anyway, I would do a Google search on "Volvo S40 P0171". Like Shifty mentioned, what Autozone gave you is a generic description. doing the search will pull up this code specific to Volvo. You can read up on other Volvo owners issues with this code. It seems it is fairly common code with a few solutions.

If you don't trust the dealership, you should be able to find an independent mechanic that specializes in Volvos (if you live near a city).

Good luck.
    I called a few shops in the area and they've told me it most likely is a faulty sensor. Since the car was still under warranty I called the dealer and spoke to the manager who tol dme to bring it back in. After a few hours of waiting they've replaced the faulty sensor which was still under warranty and everything was back to normal. Of course I returned the vehicle to the dealer right after that. Mission accomplished. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Congrats! You got rid of the Volvo without costing you a dime.

Another happy ending. :shades:
  • :confuse: I just rebuilt my edelbrock performer carb and now it continues to bogdown in between 40-50 mph. I checked the float levels and double checked the measurements of 7/16 and 15/16 drop. Engine will run great at WOT but bogs down when cruising. The manual says to measure the outer end of the float. Does that mean the end away from the pin or the end with the pin that holds the float???Any help isappreciated.