Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - Not a techie! Buying a 2017 A4 or C300

oldermanolderman Member Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Audi
I am an 82 year old man, replacing a 1998 Mercedes C 280.
Primarily interested in safety technology and ease of use regarding info & media technology. Considering the 2017 Audi A4 or 2017 Mercedes C300 sedan This means purchasing one of the higher packages on either one.
Both seem to have a few tech problems, according to reviews, especially the Mercedes.
Which one would have greatest ease of use?

Comments

• Options
    dfrancodfranco Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Does anyone have any info regarding the 2017 A4 2.0 TFSI turbocharged engine using oil ???

I know years ago, they used oil badly and eventually a class action lawsuit got Audi to admit the problems and they had to fix the problems..

I just dont want to get caught in another mess like that with the new one..

Have asked multiple Audi Dealerships this question and they REFUSE to answer.. It's a Yes or No question..
    No one will answer this for me..

Looked on line at the 2017 A4 Owners Manual - it says on Page 324, that it is possible to have to add 1/2 quart of oil at 600 miles worst case.. This is awful !!! If I go to visit family some 4,000 miles away, then I need to take an additional 3 quarts of oil with me every time...

I am used to driving vehicles that dont burn any oil..

Any real world experience with the new 2017 A4 2.0 TFSI engine using oil or not will be appreciated.
    Thank you !
    Dan F

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might give THESE FOLKS a call, as they seem to have been investigating the matter. I was under the impression that this oil burning issue was related to pre 2012 engines, but I'm not sure about that.
  • Options
    dfrancodfranco Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your awesome response, Mr_Shiftright ! Yes, it was the a few years back Audi finally started fixing years of vehicles that had a really bad oil consumption problem... They may still be fixing all those vehicles ..
    I just don't want to get stuck in that awful thing again if the 2017 engines have the same issue come up.. It is not worth it to me at my age to be having to deal with this oil consumption issue..

Read all the invaluable info you linked - again, thank you!

Appears that with all the "great advantages" of direct injection, there are some other issues that can come from not having atomized air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber to help clean off the valves, like in the old days..

And if I read it right, unless the manufacturers come up with the proper engineering to keep the crankcase pressure and vacuum at more normal levels, through perhaps better design or better parts in place, this may be the albatross for this engine as well. Too bad.. I really like the beautiful design of the '17 A4, and driving reviews seem to be very positive..

But I don't want to be having to stop and add oil all the time and perhaps get enough codes to break down in some little town in Texas that is hundreds of miles away from an Audi dealer...

I still remember the days when the only things that caused most oil consumption were valve guides, their seals, and piston rings.. :)

Well, hopefully after awhile, there may be more information available from A4 owners that will be invaluable, since the Dealers I have contacted will flat out not discuss this matter with me..

Best,
    Dan F
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    dfranco said:

...Any real world experience with the new 2017 A4 2.0 TFSI engine using oil or not will be appreciated...

2017 Audi A4, 7-speed s-tronic, first 3000 miles shows no drop in oil level. Love this car! Lots of power and currently getting 29 mpg in mixed driving.

I believe one of the causes of oil consumption is piston rings being not as tight compared to the past in order to reduce friction and improve fuel economy. Applies to all makes.