Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 BMW X5

Comments

• eschengescheng Posts: 1
    Hi all.

Has anyone out there ordered the new USB iPod port with their 2007 X5? I've had my X5 for two months now and love it. But, the iPod port doesn't work right. It switches to FM after playing for a few minutes. My local dealership has no answers so far. Has anyone else experienced this and knows a solution?

Dianeg, I love my 20-way seats. My X5 was delayed because I wanted those seats, and they are worth it. I traded in a 2004 330xi with the regular seats- they weren't too bad, but my new seats are great!

I'm new to this site and really like your discussions here! BTW, I have the 3.0si with premium, cold weather, tech, rear climate, heated rear seats, 20-way seats and comfort access.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 305
    A friend of mine just got popped for a new $300 RUNFLAT tire on his 4 month old 2007 X5. He hit a nail and destroyed the tire.

When it's time for new tires, MUST he use RUNFLATS or can he get something "normal" like a good set of Michelins?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    He hit a nail and destroyed the tire.

I'm curious. How big was the nail?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't know. I think it was more a matter of WHERE the nail punctured the tire than the size of the nail itself. The tire remained driveable ("run flat") but was ruined long term.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890
    Any runflat that you drive on is ruined..

So, if you have a puncture, your only choice is a tow bill or a new tire..

Other than gaining the option of driving the car to a different location before changing the tire, I've yet to see the advantage to runflats.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I agree, hence my original question: Instead of spending $300 to replace ONE of them, can "regular" tires (Michelin Energy??) be installed. You can do 4 of them for about $800. If it were me, I'd probably just trash the "runflats" right now and apply that $300 toward the $800 "no run flat" Michelins. But it was an emergency and I think he already paid for the new runflat.

But again I ask: Can "normal" tires be installed on the new X5?
    I haven't heard specifically about the X5, but other BMW owners have switched out.. on 3-series, MINIs, etc, etc..

I can't see any reason why you couldn't.

• 2007x52007x5 Posts: 1
    I am trying to get a hitch installed on my '07 X5. The dealer is really annoying me. They did the cut-out and the trim cover, but have kept the vehicle for a couple of days because they can't get the hitch. They want me to pick it up and come back next week for the installation of the hitch itself. Now, I have installed hitches before on Suburbans and the like, so I assume that the tricky part, doing the cutout neatly, is already done. I'm thinking of just buying the hitch from etrailer.com and installing it myself. Could you provide some pointers? Here's the link to the hitch I am looking at, including an instruction pdf. Any suggestions or direction you could provide will be appreciated. http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=13077&vehicleid=9869&yearfrom=2007&h=
  • us_matrixus_matrix Posts: 10
    Hi,

I am thinking to get 07 X5 w/Third row seat. But i was wondering is it safe and legal to put car seat on third row seat? I went to dealer to check but i did not find any hinge
    on thrid row seat (That is suppose to be standard of any 2002 model year or newer)

Thanks.
    Mugen
  • One of the things that I like best on the new X5 is the seven seat option. Does anyone know if it is possible and/or easy to add the third row of seating to a 2007 X5 that did not come from the factory with the 3rd row??? Long story why this is necessary, but this is key to me getting this car.

Thanks in advance for you replies,

Peter
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    I have been driving a 2007 X5 with active contour seats and the ventilation package since December 2006. The contour seats are extremely comfortable. I specifically ordered these seats because I had them in other BMWs and loved them. Note the following:

1. The contour/comfort seats have better NHTSA safety and whiplash ratings than the base BMW seats. The contour seat backs have more adjustments that help a driver to adjust the headrest right up to the back of your head while driving. The seat backs are higher to support your shoulders and they pivot forward/back at the center point, which helps you make the seat conform to your body contours. Higher seat backs that support your shoulders and closer head rest positioning are important safety factors for whiplash and rear collisions according to Consumer Reports, the NHTSA, etc.

2. While I love the contour seats, I question the value of the active (massage) and ventilation optional packages. Choosing ventilated seats limits your choice of interior color and leather because it requires a special leather that can be perforated. When I ordered the car, ventilated seats were only available in black or tan. Also consider that when you sit on the seats, your body blocks the ventilation holes and you really get very little air flow. The massage and ventilation functions are nice to have, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't care about purchase price.

The contour seats, however, are absolutely worth the money in my opinion. A good seat is very important to the driving experience: it affects your communication with the car and the road (especially driving conditions at the rear wheels), driver comfort/fatigue, ability to control the car in turns, etc.
    I used tirerack.com to learn which tires can be used on my X5. I had a 2005 X5 4.8is with 20 inch wheels and OEM low profile, run-flat tires that are useless in the snow. It took less than 10 minutes to find several options for replacement tires and wheels that are compatible with my X5. I bought a set of non-run-flat, all season tires that were pre-mounted on 18 inch wheels and they worked great (even though the vehicle shipped with run-flat performance tires.)

The correct sizing of the tires and the performance ratings are more important than whether they are run-flat. Just make sure you have a functioning spare tire if you swap out your run flats.

I have heard from several friends that run-flat tires yield a bumpier ride because the side walls are reinforced and stiffer. The ride improved after switching to standard tires. They had BMW and Lexus vehicles.
    Hi escheng,

If your dealer can't fix the problem with the USB controls, you may be able to use your iPod in auxiliary mode. Check under the arm rest to see if your car has an auxiliary stereo input (3.5mm single stereo input) in addition to the USB connector. If it does, you can buy a cable for $10 (from stores like BestBuy) that connects an iPod to the auxiliary input on a stereo. Select Auxiliary on the car's stereo and connect the iPod using the cable. You will have to operate the iPod using its controls and use an external charger, but it will play through your stereo and will sound just as good as the USB connection.

I use this method because 2007 X5s that shipped before April 2007 did not have the USB port to control an iPod through the iDrive or stereo.
  • achonkoachonko Posts: 51
    Any runflat that you drive on is ruined..

So, if you have a puncture, your only choice is a tow bill or a new tire..

Other than gaining the option of driving the car to a different location before changing the tire, I've yet to see the advantage to runflats.

regards,

kyfdx

I have had my RFT repaired twice. The key is having enough pressure in the tire to avoid the side-wall taking majority of the load. I just changed out my OEM tires after 28K miles.
    Well.. Although I didn't write it that way, what I meant was.... If your tire is flat, and you drive on it, it's ruined...

Sure, if it holds enough air pressure to get you to the tire shop, then it's just like any other tire.. If the sidewall is okay, then you can repair a puncture.

The difference really isn't in the run-flat part... It's in the no spare tire part. If your run-flat tire is flat, you don't have the option of putting the spare on. It's either a tow bill, or a new tire.

Actually, assuming that a run-flat tire would ride and handle just like a gets-flat-tire, then I'd love to have them.... as long as I still had a spare. That would be the best of all worlds... a CHOICE!!

regards,
    kyfdx

• achonkoachonko Posts: 51
    Actually, that is what I have done.
    I bought a spare and left that in my garage. The RFT on both occasions has allowed me to drive back home to change out my tire.
    I have also noticed that the solid sidewall helps with the slow depletion of tire pressure as it supports part of the load.
    Yeah.. I can't imagine not having a back-up spare, at least at home.. That was a good idea!!

• kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 36
    My new X5 4.8 picks up my new cell phone with the bluetooth but it doesn't pick up the telephone numbers in my phonebook so I have to voice dial after fumbling through looking for the numbers. By the way, the cell phone is a brand new LG Trax, which just came out. Any suggestions on how to download the telephone numbers? thanks
    If your cell numbers are saved on a SIM card, then bluetooth won't grab them...

You have to have the numbers saved to the phone, itself..

• kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 36
    I tried that today & it still doesn't work. Any other suggestions?