Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Volkswagen Eos

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
Volkswagen adds a drop-top to its product mix. We take a sneak peek at the upcoming 2007 Concept C.

Comments

• Can't wait to see if AWD's eventually a potential option on the C. Probably too early to find out (anyone have the scoop)? Today's VW's are awesome. I loved my 2001.5 4motion Passat, and my '98 Passat was great even with just FWD. Too bad I totaled both of them...but the structure of those cards (crumple zone), not to mention the abundance of safety features saved my life...twice. Side airbags (and of course side curtain bags) saved my neck, literally. Sure, VW/Audi's reliability history's not in the league of say, Toyota/Lexus, but then I'd never had any issues. And aside from annoyances like the Check Engine light (when nothing's wrong) with my current A4, no complaints.
    Of course I'm sure reliability's a concern if we're buying rather than leasing...I'd be a lot more comfortable with a Japanese car after, say 60K miles, but then there's nothing like this new VW out there, yet. Though I know, I know, with all the options we're looking at more than the supposed 30 grand base. Still, even a USED Lexus SC430 costs a whole lot more, and has no useable backseats (and it's due for an update soon); not to mention the fact that RWD just won't cut it here in the North East, unless you're financially able to have a 2nd vehicle. Can't steal the fiance's FWD Acura's when the weather's grim And the A4 Cabrio?...no hardtop and a lot of $$ for the 6 cyl Quattro. What else, the Benz SLK? Overpriced, and Benz reliability? Doesn't get much worse; plus, way too small, 2 passenger only and umm, trunk please? VW, bring on the AWD with the C (or whatever the final moniker will be) and I'm all about it.
    What do my fellow auto fanatics think?
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I would love to see it with AWD. However, I also don't want it to be a porker like the TT Quattro.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    What else, the Benz SLK? Overpriced, and Benz reliability? Doesn't get much worse; plus, way too small, 2 passenger only and umm, trunk please?

Talk about making the criteria fit the product. Benz's reliability is a problem, but VW's isn't? Actually it does get much worse.......its called VW. The SLK is a roadster not a coupe or sedan. If you want more trunk space and more than two seats you aren't going to find it in a "roadster".

M
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    I like the concept of a hardtop convertible since I live in the snowbelt. The TT, IMHO doesn't look right as a convertible, though it does offer AWD. (I'm waiting to see the new 2006 version.) The SLK, being rear wheel drive is a non-starter. The VW looks promising...I'm with you in hoping they have AWD as an option. I understand that Volvo is also coming out with a hardtop convertible. Anyone have information on that one?

Jay
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I dunno but it looks nice
  • carfan123carfan123 Posts: 1
    I think this is one of the more exciting designs for a four-seater convertible in a long time. The fact that it's top can open like a sunroof too - very cool. I am surprised more people aren't as excited about this car as I am.
    Since the press-to-date says it will be above the Passat in trim level - maybe some of the features of the Phatom will make it into this car. I agree I would like to see AWD on it too. Other features that I am hoping for are - climate-controlled seats, integrated MP3, park-distance control.
  • ainsains Posts: 3
    Don't worry your not the only one. I put down a deposit with a VW dealer in March 2004 as soon as I saw this fantastic concept in Autoexpress, no word on a production date yet so I just sit waiting. And I was second in the dealer's queue!
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Posts: 243
    at the unveiling for dealers in Dallas, it is "unbelievable"!!!
    And even better looking than in the pictures.
    Plus, you may find that the base price is under US$30k.
    And we'll have it next year.

PS: He said the roof disappears in only 8 seconds!
    way cool
  • cabriocabrio Posts: 1
    Although I am really excited about this new Concept C convertible, I would like to see it have a roll bar to keep insurance costs down. Does anyone know what type of features it might include? Navigational system? Also, what colors??? I'm hoping someone can tell me WHY they got rid of the popular Cabrio? Loved that car! If I could buy one tomorrow, I would!
  • This car was just brought to my attention today, and I am very excited about it! I love the idea of a hard top - and all of the bells and whistles look nice too! I have a 1996 Cabrio and it has been super dependable. Hardly any money has been put into this car over the last 8+ years (granted, it only has 43,000 miles, but still!)

I wished I could have a hybrid as my next car, but having another convertible definalty takes presedence over that.

Generally speaking, about how much deposit has to be made to get in line for a car like this???

Thanks!
  • Well, we all know this new convertible will be called the Volkswagen Eos, so you can rename this discussion please?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    Done!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Interesting little car. Looks like it and the new Volvo C70 will be direct competitors in many way. Now lets hope VW does the right thing and puts the 280hp VR6 engine in this thing.

M
  • Waiting for facts about the eros is torture!!!!! :mad: ! Is it me or does anyone see any relation between the new jetta more than the passat? :confuse: Take away rear doors, at a convertible roof and sun roof and you have a convertible jetta coupe! Its cool looking but by how the "new: beetle is, I hope this car doesn't turn out to be a :lemon:. Almost looks as if its the new generation cabrio thats just in time for a makeover and warm welcome to vw's new image. Anyone have price guesses?
  • I've read on a VW website that the EOS will come with TDI available. Personally, I believe that would be a hot seller. Greater than 40 mpg, with a drop top. The only question is, will VW allow you to load up the options without the most powerful engine? I see most manufacturers do this. :mad:

cdstraw
    To answer an earlier post I was asked for a deposit of £500 but negotiated it down to £350. VW dealers still don't have a firm date but May 2006 has been mentioned. I'm going to be frugal and get the 2.0 TDI with DSG to get a decent MPG and still have a bit of fun with all the low down torque.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Will this name stick, or will VW go with a different name?

The car looks production ready to me.

Hopefully reliability will improve.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    The name will stick.
    Prices VW EOS

1.6 FSI 115 PS 25,950 Euro
    2.0 FSI 150 PS 27,950 Euro
    2.0 TDI 140 PS 29,950 Euro
    2.0 Turbo FSI 200 PS 30,200 Euro
    3.2 V6 250 PS 35,500 Euro

Extras

CD Sat Nav 1,250 Eu
    DVD Sat Nav 2,620 Eu
    DVDSat + Dyn Audio 3,710 Eu

Climate (inc on V6) 390 Eu
    Park assist 380 Eu
    Bi Xenons 1,210 Eu

From the model 2006 German brochure, probably a bit cheaper in the US!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How many of these does VW plan to sell each year?
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    i'm also curious. These new passat and jetta are selling faster than hotcakes!!! Personally i believe vw is making a huge jump in sales. Just look at all the (unfortunate) people who bought new beetles when they were intoduced. They should have waited at least a year after production. Even the 2006 beetles are having problems and the price was increased. :mad: . Maybe another convertible won't be so bad... :surprise:
  • I am in for one :)
    Anyone knows the US release date? :blush:
  • sgoldsgold Posts: 1
    Supposed to be released in North America in May 2006. The 0-60 times are surprisingly high for the 2.0 FSI Turbo. Upper 7 seconds I believe. Wonder what the curb weight is...
  • Sorry, this car is not doing it for me :( . I will keep my GERMAN made 95 Cabrio. Yeah, it may be slow, but I still get comments on how great the car looks as far as design :shades: .
  • I purchased a cabrio in 1995 right after seeing it displayed at the NY Auto Show. It was built in Germany and it has been a great car. I am happy to see that the Eos will be available with a manual transmission and VR6 or TDI. Many cars today only offer automatic trans and small engine. The roof set up is interesting. I look forward to ordering an Eos ASAP.
  • I've had all the VW ragtops...a '95 and '99 Cabrio, and now an '03 New Beetle. As stated in a prior post, the '95 was German made and great...not a care in the world. The '99 was "Hencho E Mexico" and a piece of junk. Don't even ask about the '03 New Beetle. After 3 years I manage to find even new things that literally fall apart in my hands.Speakers popping out of the doors, 3 failed CD players, windows that catch and tear the fabric roof (with no factory fix I might add) the roof has failed majorly 3 times as well, and now a mysterious electrical problem with the parking brake. The local dealer JIM ELLIS, is a disaster with "service".....rude, arrogant (they also sell Audis). Repairs take twice as long as promised, with no call backs. I baby this sucker, and it sucks like a lemon.
    VW's history here will be short if they don't address quality. This latest VW lemon will be my last....You can't woo me with good looking designs anymore. You've got to deliver, and frankly VW does not.
    THANK GOD it still under warrenty.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    but i told you so! :P Beetles are pains :sick: . Has ne1 found photos of how the top/roof opens?
    The new c70 looks promising and is competition, as is the 07 325ci, A4 and g6 (a good comparison test, hard top converts.) So far, the eos is my favorite. This retracting hardtop is apparently the wave of the future. :surprise:

honestly, i wish vw would wait until all their vehicles reliability improves b4 entering the luxury convertible segment. I hear rumors this is the phaetons las year so this may be only a passat/jetta (and hopefully not a "new" beetle) mix
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    It is in fact the Phaeton's last year as it has been officially discontinued to poor sales. Did we expect anything else? :P Rumour has it VW is trying to build a four door coupe (think MB CLS) although it wont be as expensive as the Phaeton.

The Eos is based primarily on the Jetta platform I believe.
  • sigt1sigt1 Posts: 66
    looks nice
  • Test drove a Beetle Convertible automatic w/manual roof yesterday. Even if it is the most basic beetle convertible it still felt very modern compared to my old Cabriolet. I considered waiting for the EOS, but the Turbo 4 cylinder scares me, and the VR6 is too expensive, probably North of $30,000. I don't plan to purchase until after mid-year, but so far I am probably going to purchase the Beetle over the EOS