Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Volkswagen Eos

Comments

• topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Anyone care to share their experience in owning a EOS? I never own a Volkswagon before and was a little worry about the quality and resales value of EOS (water leaking problem??)
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    The "water leaking" problem has been over-exagerated and you can find that most are extremely happy with their Eos purchase. I have had mine over 6 months and have not had a single thing go wrong with it. I live in FL and I average putting the roof up and down 2 times a day without incident. You can find better information at the VWVortex.com forum for the Eos. This will also give you information on the unfortunate few who have experienced such leaks and the resolution.
  • sklimentskliment Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the specs for the 2008 Eos will be available in the US. Also when the vehicle will be available for purchase or order?
  • sgp2sgp2 Member Posts: 7
    The EOS is fun, but I wouldn't repeat the mistake of buying it .
    Some significant design flaws. For example: the "radiator support" comprises a 1/8" thick piece of plastic (!) that runs along the front of the undercarriage. The result? Hitting a curb at 3 mph caused $1400 worth of damage. Apparently, not only is the support exposed and weak, but to replace it one must take off the front end of the car.
    Be aware, too, that the mpg, at least in my experience, is lower than claimed. The rear windows cannot be controlled from the rear. After one month, my EOS top already has developed a rattle and squeak. The windows mesh (too) tightly with the doors, so they "stick" a little when opening or closing. Maybe most important, VW's generally don't last as long without a lot of maintenance when compared to many, maybe most, of the other manufacturers.
    Try the Volvo, Toyota, or Saab instead.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    first of all, toyota and saab don't make a hardtop vert (yet). second, if you think a volvo doesn't require a lot of maintenance to last, i suggest you try owning one. GREAT cars, but they will put a dent in your wallet if you follow the necessary schedule, keep everything in tip top order, and use a dealer for all of it.

That radiator issue sounds like a bum deal. Sorry to hear it. But, hitting curbs should always be avoided. For fair comparison, my volvo had a painted lower lip that got horribly scratched up by curbs. If I was so inclined, replacing and painting it would have cost quite a lot. So many many cars have poorly thought-out design elements.

For your mileage issue, your complaint is with the EPA, not VW.

Sorry to hear about the rattle and squeak. That would annoy me, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• esellsesells Member Posts: 18
    I use my 97 Dodge Ram or DRZ 400 motorcycle to hop curbs, not my EOS, my Ram has plasic radiator tanks, talk about sucks when it cracked this winter, but welcome to moderne auto crapsmanship.
    I treat it like the sports car that it is, if you take a look at the one Osborn tricked out on my site myvweos.com you will see it's eased over bumps in the road too and it's lowered!
    The days of my youth and my solid metal 67 firebird are gone, it's all plastic now and not meant to outlast a 6 year lease.
    Steve
    P.S.
    That window stick is by design, the windows go up into the top to prevent leaks and stiffen the car, when you start opening the door they move down a little, watch it closely,
    You just have to open the handle and hesitate before pulling the door open.
    I hear you. Of course that bill did not include painting (another $500). Not that hitting a curb is ever a good idea, but, come on, at 3 mph it should never be that kind of problem.

Anyway, here's a new item: VW is now telling their EOS owners NOT to take the car to an automated car wash as it will damage the roof seals. I have a funny feeling this car may start getting rampant bad reports once enough are in the field ...
    Thanks. Yes, I know about the seal, but they don't go down fast enough. The stick is a trivial annoyance, it's just one more thing ...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I thought that bit about the automated carwash was known since the introduction of the car (if not before)?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Where are they telling us not to use an automated car wash?
  • retiredatcs1retiredatcs1 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 3.2 for about 2 months and 2K. So far no problems with leaks or the roof. But the brakes are very spongy and soft. Dealer says it's normal but others I test drove had a hard pedal. Anyone else have this problem. Also vibration in steering and seats starting at 58MPH and worse at 64 and 72. Dealer says tires are balanced. Taking to tire shop tomorrow that has a Hunter Road Force Balancer. Radio volume does not change with speed (Dynaudio). Other than that it's a hoot to drive. Getting 29.3 MPG on the highway and 25.5 overall.
    The dealer made a point of calling me to tell me. They say the corporate VW has so informed all dealers.
    -sgp
    Wow, the 2.0 shows none of that, it may be the extra weight of the 6 causing the problem, with more engine/tranny over the tires it my be drive train harmonics.
    sorry to hear as I love the 2.0.
    Steve
    The other 3.2s that I drove were fine. I think it is just air in the brake system, but the dealer will not bleed them. They want to charge $100 for a BG brake flush. Told them I will pay for the flush if there is no change, but if there is a change, they pick up the tab. Waiting to set up another appointment.
  • wintersfurywintersfury Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I had to try it...

Paid an extra buck for a second power rinse, too ;)

3 drops of water leaked in through the seam atop the passenger window - 1 drop on the driver side.

(3.2L Eos, 1.2k miles... give me a few more months to break the "newness")
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    I have a funny feeling this car may start getting rampant bad reports once enough are in the field ...

As I've said many times in the past - never buy a new car within the first couple of years of production. To do so means that you are volunteering to be the beta testers for the automotive industry. It doesn't matter what brand of car you purchase. Cases in point:

2007 VW Eos - leaking roof seals
    2007 Toyota Tundra pickup - engine replacement due to faulty camshafts
    2007 Dodge Nitro, Magnum, Charger and Caliber - Faulty ABS software
    2007 - GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook - potentially faulty airbag sensors.

These are examples where someone's desire to be the first kid on the block to own X vehicle or Y vehicle (possibly to satisfy one's ego or enhance one's personal image) may get them into trouble...

I purchase my vehicles at or near the end of the production cycle - where chances are very good that most of the bugs have been worked out...

To each their own, I guess... :confuse:
  • jeyjey Member Posts: 1
    Yes, It is extremely disapoitting that VW is now telling their EOS potential owners NOT to take the car to an automated car wash as it will damage the roof seals. I will announce this in every forum.
    How are your brakes??? Had the BG brake fluid flush to check for air in the system but they are still soft and mushy. Waiting to talk to Factory Rep. Other than an out of round tire that VW replaced and they did coat my seals with the special lubricant, I have had no problems with leaks and the car runs great with 2500 miles. City gas mileage really sucks but get 28 :) MPG on the highway.
  • wintersfurywintersfury Member Posts: 5
    With 89 octane, I get some 260 miles from a full tank.
    With 91 octane, I get 320 miles from a full tank.
    (That's a fully topped off tank in both cases. I ran 4 full tanks through the car before reading those "miles until empty" numbers from the car's MFD.)

My brakes are fantastic.
    No, seriously, this car has the best brakes I have ever experienced. I'm rather gentle with her usually and she performs great - I've tried a few controlled slams on my street when no one was about and the ABS kicked in and I stopped QUICK. No mushy pedal, just an instant and firm response.

I have a 2007, 3.2 with DVD/Lux/Sport/Tech packages. (In other words, "everything")
    I bought it in SE Mass for Wholesale+700.

This car has been getting a lot of press lately so people who I never would have thought cared about cars have commented on it... Must admit, I usually don't get that much attention for my more conservative car choices.

With no upper frame for the window, it's hard to act surprised when a little water leaks in. (Operative word being "little".) I sprayed a little silicone on the rubber seals to keep them moist. Can't blame VW for the properties of rubber, unfortunately.
    SO far the brakes are fine. I have only $2k miles, though.
    My mpg is worse than yours, and I was disapointed that VW made the move to premium fuel only (91 octane). My previous VW's all called for 87 octane.
  • cb391cb391 Member Posts: 24
    Do NOT use silicone on ANY of the roof seals. Over time silicone can damage the seals. VW has a special lubricant for this purpose VW pt# G 052 172 A1. Check the owner's manual Boooklet 3.2 page 25. The manual says you can use an automatic car wash as long as it is not a high pressure wash.
    91 octane is recommended on the 2.0 because of the turbo and the 3.2 because it is a high compression engine (11.0 to one. You may be able to run 87 octane but there will be a loss of performance and gas mileage.
  • samdiamondsamdiamond Member Posts: 2
    Here is a great video of the Eos racing the Ford Focus round Brands Hatch race track:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/audio_video/times_online_tv/?channel=driving&clipid=1152_timesonline0208
  • crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    Hey folks,

I wonder if anyone else experiences the following (i.e. is this normal?)

I have a 2.0T EOS with the 6 speed tiptronic transmission, the car is quite new, about 1700 miles on it.

When I place the car in park and take my foot off the brake the car invariably rolls backward a bit before settling into a set position. Sometimes the roll is barely noticable, but sometimes I think it's as much as 4-6 inches, probably enough to roll backward into another vehicle or other obstacle if I parked really close.

Anyone else experience this, or is it a unique glitch to my vehicle that a mechanic should look at?
    Yes this can happen as I have encountered this as well. If you check the owner's manual, there is a procedure when parking the car that recommends use of the emergency/parking brake.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Start applying the parking brake, before putting the car in Park.. You want to avoid that sort of static tension on the transmission.

Also, you should always have your parking brake engaged, when the car is unattended.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• leighsleighs Member Posts: 1
    I'll be needing to replace my 2002 Cabrio soon. I'm never in a hurry to have a car payment!

When I test drove the Eos recently, the dealer was willing to negotiate and actually sell the car at a decent price, I just wasn't ready. No financing deals however. (VW has financing deals on almost everything but the Eos.)

When do the 2008 Eos' become available? As far as future reliability, would it be better to take a cheaper 2007 or pay a little more for a 2008?

I hate shopping for a car. Absolutely hate it. But if it has to be done, what's the best time-frame if one does not need a car immediately?

Any tips would be appreciated!
    I bought mine in November and it had just been released in August so I don't know if Aug/Sept is the normal release cycle but a few bucks didn't make a diff to me, I hate the shopping too but I just said my brother in law does clear bras and fabric anti-stain and all the other crap they try to pimp you with, that seems to work better than saying NO which they take as maybe.
  • gators5gators5 Member Posts: 2
    My 3.2 Eos with 4800 miles appears to have electrical problems. Last night my air bag alert light came on as well notification of an "oil workshop" alert. Then the garage door opener didn't work. The dealer claims they've haven't seen this problem before.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Sorry to hear that, I have not had any problems other than sometimes the roof wont cycle but usually if I just wait a min and recycle it, it works fine.
    It's almost a year old and I love it everytime I drive it, my motorcycle is pretty pissed, it's more fun to cruise with my daughter to Rocky Mountain National Park with the top down than squirming on the motorcycle waiting for someone to hit you.
    Steve
  • gators5gators5 Member Posts: 2
    Guess what---the same problem I had at 4800 miles just happened again at 5600 miles. Not only did the air bag alert light came on and the "oil workshop" alert, but the AC quit working.

Has anyone else had this kid of problem?
  • deepc1deepc1 Member Posts: 5
    My wife's AC quit working (5000 miles)and we took it to the dealer, who diagnosed the problem immediatly as a failed compressor. The part was on backorder (2 weeks) and the tech said it was a common failure. He also said that VW has redesigned the compressor.

After the compressor was replaced all works well except it had a strange smell when the AC was first turned on. I took it to the dealer and they found there was a TSB for that and they performed a 4 zone cleaning or something like that. Now all is well in that department.
  • deepc1deepc1 Member Posts: 5
    I had the main seal on the windshield header replaced due to leaks. It was actually flopping in the breeze with the top down. It tooks so long to get the part (6 weeks)I sent VW a Lemon Law notification. While it may not have been a valid claim the part came in a week ahead of time. The first time through a car wash it leaked again! The dealer said that the car is not supposed to go through a power wash, the owners manual says it can just don't use a power washer (hand held pressure washer) when I called their hand they said it could go through a car wash but it could not be a "touchless" car wash (the one where the sprayer revolves around the car. They said that the seal was a press fit and the high pressure water would push it down and it would leak. I informed them that while it may be high pressure at the nozzle tip it's only around 30psi when it hits the car.

The roof got stuck halfway down the other day then finally retracted and it would not go up. The dealer says to turn the key on and off removing the key each time until the top works it took 4 times but clunks and makes a lot of noise. I'm taking it in to see the dealer I'll let yall know.

The fun thing about the top getting stuck down was that it was going to rain. So I called the dealer and asked how to get the top up in an emergency. They said only they can do that which their computer. So I asked them who was going to be responsible for my 31K hot tub when I brought it to the dealer full of water. They said I was under warranty still so there should be no problem. I wonder though if they would try to get out of repairing the interior due to water damage because the top was down.

The AC quit working with 5000 miles. It's been replaced.

The AC ducts smelled odd. There is a TSB for cleaning.

Make friends with the guy who fixes your car. That way when you take it in for a leak he will record it and the third time is the charm (at least in Florida).

The new 3 series hardtop looks better every day.
  • k29k29 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 EOS that I bought in July. For the most part I haven't had any problems - but in the cold weather my windows suck!
    I usually keep my car in the garage, but on two seperate occasions where it was out at night and it snowed, my windows didn't go down to allow the door to open. Then, when I finally did get the door to open, the window wouldn't go down to close the door. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Also, in the cold weather, my rear window seems to rattle. I thought that it was going to fall out-but it has not yet.
    My other concern is that on the roof, it almost looks like the paint is "cracking" in a spiderweb form.
  • lancelotlinklancelotlink Member Posts: 18
    In December I bought an '07 Eos.
    My dealer did a swap with a out of state dealer to get the car I wanted.
    The car showed up without an Owners Manual, my Salesperson assured me they ordered me one and I'd have it soon.
    Well it's going on three months now and despite calls and emails... no manual.
    So before I rachet up my pressure on them I'm wondering what else I should of received.
    Did you Eos owners get a Valet Key with your vehicle (or think of anything else I could be missing)?
    Thanks for any info,
    Lance
    (I know I also need to obtain the Radio Security code, that I think is usually in the manual)
  • zingrrlzingrrl Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help with this! My fuel door release has stopped working. I push on the button located next to the trunk release - nothing. Any ideas before taking to the dealer? :(
  • aeabbotaeabbot Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same problem on numerous occasions and today was the kicker as a snow storm moved in to New England my window went down but then refused to come up. I took it straight to the dealership where 2 hours later they said it was a fault in the window manager (?). I had assumed that the problem had been that the motors had frozen, but this time the window went down fine but wouldn't come up. I don't know what's up with cold temps and window malfunction but it is definitely not an isolate issue. I will let people know what I find out after they repair mine (I am stuck driving a chevy impala which is torture after my Eos but was better than having snow and sleet stream through my car.

Anyone else with this cold weather experience? Please post because this is an enigma and I would like to know whether it is a widespread problem or a fairly isolated incident.
    So far as the window goes, I've done some research. It would appear that there is a (very sensitive) sensor to detect both if the there is something blocking the window (like a finger) and to push the window down just a little when the door is being opened. This sensor may need to be adjusted on occasion, as the threshold is very fine. The dealer can fix it, but the problem may reappear later.
    The whole window adjustment thing is iffy, and you may find that after you close the door there is a small gap along the side which can be addressed by putting the window down slightly and putting it up again.
    Thanks for the information.

I have been able to deal with the minor issue by toggling the switch, but the major issue has been times that the window won't move at all, either down to open/close or in my case where it retracted totally into the door never to return. My biggest concern is that since the Eos requires such tight tolerances to function that this may develop into a chronic issue. Hopefully Volkswagen will pay attention and address this.

I'll post once I get my car back and get more information from the dealer as to what actually went wrong and how widespread the problem is.
  • kraut_rockkraut_rock Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2007 2.0T in October 2007. Within the first 2 months I experienced a "window isssue". When I shut the drivers side door the window would go down - not "drop" but just go down as if I had pressed the "down" button. I would have to get back in the car, restart and put the window back up. Somtimes when I would then close the door again it would go down again and I would have to start the process over again. I took it to the dealer and the first time they said they adjusted it and I should not have any more problems. Then it happned again, when I took it back the 2nd time the dealer gave me the "we could not duplicate the problem" line...I took it back a 3rd time, they said they re adjusted again and luckily I have not had that problem since. Although I still experience the gap problem which I also fix by putting the window up and down.
  • ttoyotattoyota Member Posts: 1
    To Fix the Window Issue, try this.

Disconnect the Car Battery,

Wait 2 minutes
    Connect the Car Battery
    Start Car, (all Dash warning Lights should be on)
    Preform the following on each window:
    Wind down the car window by pressing the down button
    wait 3 sec
    Wind the window up to the top holding the up button
    Release the button for 1 sec
    Push the Up Button again and hold for 2 secs
    (then Release for one sec)
    Push the Up Button again and hold for 2 secs then release

Repeat for each window, one at a time.

Turn the steering wheel full left lock then full right lock
    (all warning lights should go out, if not drive the car around the block and all the systems should reset)
  • tara0331tara0331 Member Posts: 1
    To say I am upset and disappointed, is an understatment. I have had my EOS for 4 days and already the top wont go down. Took it in today and was told by the dealership that they need to order a part, which wont be in until Monday. The sensor in one of the pillars is not sending out any signal, hence why my top wont go down. I am so upset! My last car was a Chevy and I had electrical problems. Spent a lot of money trying to solve it and nothing worked. Once you have an electrical problem, can they ever really be fixed? Has anyone had an issue with the top, especially so soon- only 400 miles on the car. Can I break my lease? Or is it too late for that? I am already researching NJ Lemom Law.
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone purchased the hardtop with built in sun roof? I test drove it a few days ago and loved it but now I'm seeing a lot of messages about problems with the top not going down/up. Are all those posts based on 07 versions? I live in Florida and was wondering what everyone was paying for the Komfort version in the 6spd manual down here. I hate the whole dealership experience and just want to offer (if I decide to buy) a fair price. Let me know your thoughts.
    All Eos's have a built in sunroof. I bought my Eos back in August and have had (knock on wood) no problems with the top. I did have an incident where my driver's side window went down and wouldn't come up. This was especially inopportune because it was in the middle of a New England snow storm. This was fixed at the dealership and I have had no further problems with the electrics. I love my Eos and really have no complaints, so I would go for it. (BTW, I have the 6 speed manual)
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    What did you pay for your Eos? I'm also interested in the 6spd manual. I want the Komfort model - what was yours?
    My 2007 2.0T came with goodyear eagle LS tires, which do not have good traction is adverse weather conditions. I'm in the northeast USA.

Does anyone have recommendations? Costco sells the Michelin Pilots, and Firestone is recommending the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Thanks
  • kls7rfkls7rf Member Posts: 2
    I have actually had cold weather related issues to my car in Iowa. My issue is with my trunk. The trunk will automatically shut once opened unless I am standing right next to it to grab it quickly. I have taken it into the shop 5 times and they still cannot fix the problem. I also had problems with my windows not going back up after opening the door. They said they had seen that before and just reset all my windows. I have had nothing, but trouble with my car and I am now looking into the legal side of things. Have you had any other issues?
  • mwppassatmwppassat Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had any issues with their compass? My compass has not worked correctly from day one. If I lower or raise the top, it gets really screwed up. Heading North, it says East or South or it gets stuck in one direction even when turning in a circle.

I've had it to the dealer 5 times now and they can't seem to find the problem.

Thanks!

Mark
    I have had recurring issues with my compass. It always worked ok top up but with the top down the compass would not work properly. If you drove in a circle it would generally correct itself. Finally it was such a nuisance that I took it to the dealer while it was wrong and showed the dealer. They replaced the sensor about a year ago and it was better but still not right.They also said a new sensor was supposed to be in the works. Funny thing is we were coming back from a trip 2 weeks ago and while driving top up the compass went to N and stayed there. Next day it was working normally again and when I put the top down the compass seems to read right. Go figure!