Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Well, after a series of emails to track the order; the wife got a phone call from the dealership yesterday.. 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD, Factory Order has arrived, a full 8 months after the order was placed. Must have made the Dec production run.
    Kevin
  • That's great news, Kevin. It gives me a faint hope that I might get mine this decade.

I'm still waiting for a production date, despite the promise from the Ford executive office that I'd have a date by the end of January. It just goes to show you the confusion over this whole situation starts at the top.

Soon the 2009 models will start appearing. Anyone know what's new in 2009?
  • There will be quite a few changes in 2009.

New 2.5 engine, more powerful and efficient. Re-tuned suspension. Standard stability control, etc... There is quite a few pages on the weba bout this, this has been announnced a few weeks ago.
  • Thanks to all for the input, I started looking harder at local inventory and found a Mercury Mariner Hybrid in Nothern Virginia that I ended up buying. Competition has really heated up for these critters. Price was at MSRP, no possible incentives offered, but that would be probably silly to ask expect when over 4 dealers I called wanted $1500 - $2500 "market adjustment fees" on top of MSRP. The dealer had 2 that arrived Thursday PM, I bought one Saturday AM, the other sold the next morning. Wish I could have waited for the 2009, or at least until more quantity would have driven some more competition into the pricing, but I'm happy with what I got.

Cheers,
  • Great! Good to hear you've got your car. Now, let me know how you do on gas mileage--OK?
  • I've been wavering on making a purchase for some time now and the Jan 22nd announcement on the 2009 now has me convinced. Anyone know when one can place an order for the new models? When did sales of the 2008s start last year? I'm also curious if the 2008s will see a significant price drop with the big changes in store for the next year's model. That might be incentive enough to make an early purchase...
  • Wow, looks like I finally have a build date. Should have our FEH near the end of March.

bjcarter, one of the posters a page or two back had some links to production wait times. One of the links also showed the startup dates for the 2009 FEHs. If my memory is correct, they started accepting orders in May sometime.
  • This link does NOT show 2009 build/lead times, only 2008. Is there one for 2009 models?

https://www.wheels.com/fleet/reference/assembly/html/assembly_lines.asp
  • It was the other link in that same post, which appears now dead. I know for certain it showed 2009 start up dates because I had a discussion with people about what I should do if I didn't receive my 2008 FEH soon.

The original link (no longer working) was:
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_trucks_ford.asp

Fortunately, Google's cache still has it:
    Google Cache

In case that link stops working, here's what the page says:

Ford Escape Hybrid
    2007 Final Order Due: 10/13/06
    2008 Final Order Due: 11/30/07
    2009 Initial Order Acceptance: 04/17/08
    2009 Production Scheduling Begins: 05/15/08
    2009 Production Start Up: 06/23/08

Mercury Mariner Hybrid
    2007 Final Order Due: 09/25/06
    2008 Final Order Due: 11/30/07
    2009 Initial Order Acceptance: 04/17/08
    2009 Production Scheduling Begins: 05/15/08
    2009 Production Start Up: 06/23/08

No info on Mazda Tribute.

There's also a comment at the bottom that says dates are estimates and subject to change.

Hope that helps.
  • I asked my local dealer about order dates and this question got no response. Very frustrating. I can envision a scenario in which there's a push to sell 2008s prior to doing anything with the 2009s. The improvements are too significant to buy the older model over the new model even with a fair bit of savings
  • Looks like they moved the link. Give this one a try:

http://www.donlen.com/build_out_start_ups.html
  • I am very excited as I picked up my new FEH today. I ordered it at the end of August last year.

In B.C. there is a $1500 tax credit so I only had to pay $3.12 provincial (state) sales tax. Although I had to pay federal tax, I understand there is a $2000 government rebate for the FEH (as well as other hybrids and fuel efficient cars) which I am going to apply for. The link for anyone (Canadians) who have not applied for this rebate is:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environment/ecotransport/ecoautoinformation.htm
  • Hello everyone,

I am hope the 2009 FEH will be the very first car I buy on my own. Over the past couple of months, I have contacted dealers regarding the 2008 models but as my need to make a large down payment has increased, the 2009 models will be out when I am ready to purchase.

My questions is, if dealerships are currently accepting paper work orders for the hybrid, does this give me less bargaining power because the care isn't actually on the lot? Is their less incentive for the dealer to come down in price because they are essentially special ordering the care based on whatever accessories I want with it?

I think it's harder to negotiate when the actual car isn't even being produced yet. What leverage does a buyer have? As a first time buyer, any adv ice you can offer will help.
  • With the current situation of an 8 month backorder I really doubt you'll have much luck negotiating the price. Many dealers are charging $2000 or more extra if they have one on their lot.

I'd expect the situation will remain the same going into the 2009 model year unless by some miracle they manage to sort out their production problems.
  • The BC tax credit is actually up to $2000, depending on how much tax you paid. If you only paid $1500 in PST then you'll only get a $1500 credit.

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/sst_085.pdf
  • Hello everybody,

I am hoping the 2009 FEH will be the very first car I buy on my own. Over the past couple of months, I have contacted dealers regarding the 2008 models and have received competitive offers via e-mail. However, my goal is to make a large down payment to offset whatever a short term interest rate is incurred. By the time I have saved enough money, the 2009 models will be in production.

My questions is, if dealerships are currently accepting paper work orders for the hybrid, does this give me less bargaining power because the car isn't actually on the lot? Is their less incentive for the dealer to come down in price because they are essentially special ordering the vehicle based on whatever accessories I want with it?

I think it's harder to negotiate when the actual car isn't even being produced yet. What leverage does a buyer have in this situation? As a first time buyer, any advice you can offer will help.
  • If my experience in Northern Virginia is any indicator, dealers have no incentive to bargain on the 2008 FEH. In fact, they add a 'premium' of $3000 to the price of any of their FEH's bought off the lot. That $3000 is approximately equal to the tax incentive, effectively 'stealing' it from the customer.

As for the 2009's, I can't imagine there will be any price bargaining on the hybrids - there's simply no supply/demand reason to do so.

I'd rather know the details of the 2009 packages and options before ordering, which I thought I read elsewhere would be in May.
  • Neuroboy,
    My experience with the DC mid-atlantic area is not as bad as Fmorriso's but its one where you have to expect you don't have the advantage a typical auto buyer has. First-off, he's right, the demand for the truck is such that you can't expect to get a great deal below MSRP. A lot of dealers are adding "market premiums" and getting them. MSRP is probably as good as you can realistically expect. I found a number of dealers that were willing to sell at MSRP without the premium, but you have to look for them. Even at that, you may still pay top dollar since nearly all the trucks we looked at had the full-up options package, which probably helps defray the negative margins that FMC eats to be able to sell the truck.

So you have two options, in my mind:

1) Place the order for exactly what you want, and plan to wait 3-5 months, or:
    2) Wait until a couple of months after the 09's come out, and get in the game full-scale then. Be prepared to beat the bushes, and take either a FEH or MMH, or the Mazda Tribute Hybrid, which should hit the rest of the country next year.

We bought our MMH a month ago, and used a buying service (Costco) to lock in the price with a dealer that was a member of the program, on a vehicle that had just been delivered. To give you an idea of the scarcity, it was on the other side of DC from our home. If I had been completely off the street, the dealer might have hit me with the premium, but he would have caught hell from the buying service, so with his markup, the cost was right at MSRP. We bought the car the day after it had been delivered, so you need to be on your toes, have your financing lined up, and all that jazz. Since then, we've come across another 1/2 dozen buy opportunities, none with a significantly better price to make me kick myself.
  • One thing to remember is everything is negotiable. If they don't sell you a car, they don't make money. I would not commit to the first dealer you go to. I love hearing their 'second' offer when I am walking out the door. If possible I would go between at least two dealers to see who could commit to the lowest price. Also, if by some outside chance, Ford offers an incentive at the time you actually make the purchase, pre-orders will qualify.

It may be difficult to get a deal much less than the MSRP but I would definately never pay more than sticker.

One question I have is if the "production start up" is June 23 2008, does anyone have any idea on when pre-orders may arrive and/or when the dealers could be expected to receive their inventory?
  • I see where you can purchase a FEH through costco at $500 over the invoice. The salesperson I spoke with at Ford indicated that one can even pre-order a vehicle with this program at $500 over the invoice. Is there a catch? Has anyone else tried this? $500 over invoice for a FEH seems like a pretty good deal at present.