Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High-End European Luxury Sedans

Comments

• xkssxkss Posts: 722
    I don't like it. Too many gizmos.

Anyways...

The trunk is not a rip-off of a BMW 7 series.

It looks like the 1998 Maybach concept.

1998 Maybach concept
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Bentley is the grand daddy of that butt. I've been thinking of doing a Bentley family butt tree... RL, Elantra, XG350, Maybach, S. Should I dig up photos? Nah, too lazy.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I, for one, would enjoy those pics ...
    OK, when I get a couple of free minutes I will do it. I'll see if I can inject some humor into it also. I only wish the Bugatti butt resembled the Bentley butt. Then we could say the Bentley butt begot the Bugatti butt. Anyway, we also have bimmers and the Bangle butts, so they can worked into the mix. See where this is going? Now, I just have to put it together and nail it down.

;-)
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210

OK, it's been quiet around here. :D
    A new Maserati SUV has been in the news recently. It might be built using an Alfa Romeo's chassis.

Why would anyone want a Maserati SUV?

They had a concept a few years ago.

check the link

lame concept
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the link. I thought it was comical that the link had a click on ad for a self described "Premier Maserati Dealer" with used Maseratis "beginning in the 50's". He was located in LA, natch.

Gee, that's just what I want: a clapped out Maser formerly used/abused by an LA type that was all flash and no cash (or maintenance). Someone is going to have to hold my arm down before I write a check.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    looked at the photos again and the rear end ,the dash and seat and center console seem to have been designed by chris bangle or lifted by mb from bmw

anyhow the design is growing on me .

i never did like the 1992 thru 2005 s class from a design point of view .the design never grew on me as did the earlier mb's.
    but this one just may.
    a cheaper version of the maybach.????
    i read somewhere that in germany they have priced the base at $ 3, or 7,000 above the bmw 7 series.

the interior shots posted above may be from the 12 cyl. if not ,and they are from a base with options ,this looks even better than i first thought.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The CLS55 AMG in action:

Awesome!

M
  • bagman1bagman1 Posts: 2
    Hey. merc1 - Thanks for posting the video. Awesome is right!
    I ordered a CLS 500 several weeks ago - Iridium Silver with sunset red leather interior. Supposed to be built about the last week in August. Not an AMG, but I don't plan to race it like in the video. It'll run plenty fast for me.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Great video. Thanks.
    That should be a spicy color combo, please stick around and post some pics when you get your car.

The CLS55 AMG actually lapped that very track faster than a lot of sports cars on their list, very impressive. I was shocked to see how flat it cornered compared to the E55 which rolls a lot more.

M
  • Thanks for posting the video. I enjoy watching Top Gear episodes whenever I come across them. Definitely a lot of fun to watch them put the CLS55 through their tests.
    That CLS55 AMG is nice, but I'd still rather have a new aluminum Jaguar XJR.
    That CLS55 AMG is nice, but I'd still rather have a new aluminum Jaguar XJR.

Somehow I knew that. ;)

M
    See Here

Be sure to listen to that V10.

M
    I've driven both a 1988 M5 and a 1993 M5.

The new M5 is a hideous car. The interior is a joke. The original concept of the M5 was a subtle, high-performance sedan (or wagon...E34 M5 Touring) without needless electronic gizmos and in-your-face side vents.

You will have to press the "M-drive" button on the steering wheel (to get 507 hp instead of the normal 400...what a dumb idea), put the electronic dampers to the hardest of their three settings, put the throttle to its most responsive mode, put the gear change to its most aggressive shift sequence (11 in all), and even the seats to their most hip-hugging position in order to have the most fun in the new M5.

I could go on, but I'll just leave a link to Dame Edna and this picture.

Dame Edna

• paldipaldi Posts: 210
    This fellow did a great job with wheels and lowering with a VAG=COM.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's amazing how BMW took the 5 series and turned it into a monster at the track. With gas prices approaching $3/gallon, and people sometimes having no common sense, putting a "power" button on the vehicle was a great idea. Even people who can afford a new E60 M5 as pocket change must hate the prices at the pump.

The whole idea of the "M" was to take a model, stealth it, and make it into a monster performer. BMW did exactly that.

I happen to like Dame Ednas' look, so the new styling and I get along very well. No doubt the new look is polarizing, but the people who don't like the styling seems confined to Edmunds and the rags.

Everybody else loves the new look.
    “…the people who don't like the styling seems confined to Edmunds and the rags... Everybody else loves the new look.”

You think so? A couple of days ago I was stopped at a light in my Boxster S. A gent pulls up next to me in a cream puff E36 97 3-series convertible. He compliments me and when I also tell him how great his car looks he says “Sure looks better than the new ones, don’t you think? I hate them.” The venom in his tone suggested he wanted to pull over an vent about it for a couple of hours to a willing ear.

Then again, you may be right, he could be an Edmunds poster for all we know ;-)

BMW auto sales are NOT what they were hoping for and they are losing market share. Bangle protagonists, enjoy the current look while you can because it doesn’t work and I can practically guarantee these cars will be sobered up the next time around.

The new M5 is a rolling CPU, a freak of nature. I would hate to have to present a problem with it to a befuddled service department.
    "BMW auto sales are NOT what they were hoping for and they are losing market share"

Not to be pedantic, but could you please share BMWs sales plan with us so we know what their targets are? Maybe someone on the inside, knows what the internal sales targets are for all of these LPS automobiles vs. plan.

The last I saw the 5 series was selling just under the E-class, which puts it ahead of all over cars in this segment - except the E-class.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    sapparo, please email me as soon as possible - pat AT edmunds.com. Thanks.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    "BMW auto sales are NOT what they were hoping for and they are losing market share" ...could you please share BMWs sales plan with us so we know what their targets are?

see this post: syswei, "High End Luxury Marques" #10029, 6 Aug 2005 7:17 pm

My guess is that BMW wasn't targeting a sales decline. What do you think?
    A blip in the sales figures says what? To me it says nothing. We've seen sales numbers up and down over the course of the year dependent on many factors that is beyond the capabilities, though not speculation, of these boards to try to understand.

Still with the sales decline, it for now, still is the sales leader, excepting the 'E'. For all we know, BMW may be jumping for joy as the number actually sold is double the projected target. So they don't give a hoot about the blip.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Yes, I'm sure the BMW USA execs are slapping themselves on the back, telling themselves that their cars are as perfect as can be and that its just a random sales blip causing their sales to be down, and another random blip causing Lexus' to be up.

I guess its just blip after blip after blip when Lexus gains market share vs BMW year after year after year.

Enough said.
    Gains market share, with which model line?

For 4 years the G35 has been predicted to be the BMW killer, still hasn't happened. The GS, and as an aside I like the look of the new GS, has been panned in almost every comparo. The old IS?. The new IS the jury is out. With 3.5 liters it's going to be a little thirsty. Can you say $3.00/gallon? It must might put some people off. The new 750, you can read the reviews on it, at least start with Edmunds first drive. How it sells remains to be seen.

Enough said.
  • rl81rl81 Posts: 53
    I know quite something about BMW, since I have done some work for them last year. What most people here don't realize is that they are not as big of a company as most people think they are. From a business standpoint, they have been close to max capacity for like the last 5 years or so. First the E46 and then the Mini took off way more than they could have hoped for. Yes, at this point the people are slapping themselves on the back. The 7 series that so many people hate sells better than the old one, so it's a step ahead from their point of view. I believe that after the face lift, they went into the right direction from a design and engineering standpoint.

So people, just think that BMW just a couple years ago sold more than a million vehicles per year. Their capacity is almost at 100% despite Bangle-design. In some ways a little drop in sales makes their life easier, because they can get their capacity under control. Yes, BMW wants to expand, but expansion can only happen so fast, and don't forget that most of their production is in Germany. They only started full production in Leipzig this year, where they build the E90. You'll see them be more agressive in the future.
    Thanks for providing that information. It seems to put some things into perspective.
This discussion has been closed.