Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High-End European Luxury Sedans

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well, at this hour the "official" picutes and writeup from Mercedes-Benz hasn't been released just yet, but there are few "official" pictures on the net that have leaked out:

All of the translation from the German and various other language websites has the new S in 4 models, a 272hp S350, 388hp S500 (not S550), 231hp S320 CDI, and a 517hp S600. The V8 in the new "S500" appears to be the current SOHC, 24-valve engine from the current SLK/C/CLK 55 AMG models re-tuned and tweaked for 388hp. The new direct-injectioin, 32V, DOHC V8s **apparently** aren't ready yet. Subtract 4 hp from each total for U.S. market cars, which will be the S350 (268hp) and the S500 (384hp), initially. Still to come is a S450 with a next generation V8 with 340hp and a replacement for the S500, the S550 with a 410hp 5.5L next-generation V8. These will appear for the 2008 model year in the U.S. In Europe there will be two more diesels during 2007, a S420 CDI with the new 315hp 4.0L V8 and a S600 CDI with a 517hp/700lb-ft V12 diesel.

Now I guess we know why Mercedes just re-introduced the S350 model here.

Now for the design. Of course it looks better in the first pic than the second, due to a dark color hiding the most obvious feature, those wheel arches. Me no likey at all, especially those at the rear when they have to cover a portion of the doors. The interior looks identical to the BMW 7-Series, another mistake in my still early opinion. There is no way a Mercedes should look like a BMW inside or out. Mercedes has gone the Idrive/MMI with a Comand "controller" as its being called elsewhere.

A scanned article:

More pics:

This design could work, but those wheel arches are going to have to be looked at in person and they will depend on wheel size, something Mercedes' usually don't have to worry about. The rear is clearly derivative of the Maybach, but is much better looking imo.

More official "official" information/pics to come.....

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Full Article

Pics:

Model range

S 350:
    200 kW/272 hp

S 500:
    285 kW/388 hp

S 320 CDI:
    170 kW/231 hp

S 600:
    380 kW/ 517 hp

Overall there are some things I like and some I don't, namely those wheel arches (which are hid in darker colors) and the BMW 7-Series dashboard design. More design comments pending.........

M
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    those fender flares have to go. They distract from the rest of the design. In fact, all I can do is look at those awful rear flares that look like they came off a Toyota Tacoma. Wonder how much it would cost to have Hans buff those out pre-delivery? ;)
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Posts: 55
    I sure think the new S from a lot of outside angles looks like the new (and very popular) Toyota Avalon. I think the fender flares may be from a Mitsubishi SUV.

The inside shots look great ... very lux.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    Sorry... it had to be said..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    The front looks little changed to me; good because I like it. The rear looks awkward. Profile looks like E which is ook. The interior center console looks very much like the 7 series, which I love so I guess that's good but odd to see it so similar. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery??
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    I kinda like the photoshop shown below.

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Wow that looks much better. Amazing what a difference the fender flares can make.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    just got back from 2 weeks on a moto guzzi. had to shorten the trip due to the rain.
    felt like i was riding a water jet.
    and,the red low oil press.light came on .guess the water got to it. but was worried for 3 days.

and lost one of my saddle bags with my camera and other. an 18 wheeler plus other made a mess of it and the stuff inside. no more nikon. no more prescription night riding glasses,no more many other things.

anyhow ,great shots of the new mercedes but i agree ,a shame that they are going with the bmw i drive system,and all those electronics..........
    even though this car has a perfect driver's seat for me ,i may have to pass on it again beause of all this stuff. we will see.

by the way for those of you who are not into motorcycles out there ,the computer stuff is now in the new bmw motorcycles . and their reliability record is stumbling with leaky rear seals ans other.
    it all started with abs ,then linked breaks ,fuel injection.
    there is even an air bag being shown.you wear it .
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    I don't like it. Too many gizmos.

Anyways...

The trunk is not a rip-off of a BMW 7 series.

It looks like the 1998 Maybach concept.

1998 Maybach concept
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Bentley is the grand daddy of that butt. I've been thinking of doing a Bentley family butt tree... RL, Elantra, XG350, Maybach, S. Should I dig up photos? Nah, too lazy.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I, for one, would enjoy those pics ...
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    OK, when I get a couple of free minutes I will do it. I'll see if I can inject some humor into it also. I only wish the Bugatti butt resembled the Bentley butt. Then we could say the Bentley butt begot the Bugatti butt. Anyway, we also have bimmers and the Bangle butts, so they can worked into the mix. See where this is going? Now, I just have to put it together and nail it down.

;-)
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210

OK, it's been quiet around here. :D
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    A new Maserati SUV has been in the news recently. It might be built using an Alfa Romeo's chassis.

Why would anyone want a Maserati SUV?

They had a concept a few years ago.

check the link

lame concept
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the link. I thought it was comical that the link had a click on ad for a self described "Premier Maserati Dealer" with used Maseratis "beginning in the 50's". He was located in LA, natch.

Gee, that's just what I want: a clapped out Maser formerly used/abused by an LA type that was all flash and no cash (or maintenance). Someone is going to have to hold my arm down before I write a check.
  • ffb13ffb13 Posts: 181
    looked at the photos again and the rear end ,the dash and seat and center console seem to have been designed by chris bangle or lifted by mb from bmw

anyhow the design is growing on me .

i never did like the 1992 thru 2005 s class from a design point of view .the design never grew on me as did the earlier mb's.
    but this one just may.
    a cheaper version of the maybach.????
    i read somewhere that in germany they have priced the base at $ 3, or 7,000 above the bmw 7 series.

the interior shots posted above may be from the 12 cyl. if not ,and they are from a base with options ,this looks even better than i first thought.
This discussion has been closed.