Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
It has a fully independent suspension, unibody construction with ladder-frame chassis (like Honda Ridgeline), full-time 4WD with a locking center differential and low range. In Japan HIDs, NAV and an electronic stability program are standard. a 5-speed auto is standard with the V6 model. In Japan the V6 is 2.7L, but I think we will get a larger engine. Not sure if it has 3-row seating?

I saw the concept that was shown at the NY show, and was VERY impressed! Should be on sale here next fall.

Bob

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    From NY auto show:

http://www.suzukiauto.com/about_suzuki/concepts/concept_x2/

From Japanese Suzuki web site:

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/escudo/

Looks like it could be a poor man's mini Touareg.

Bob
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Together with the new Swift, Suzuki has a good design language going.

Funny that Japan can't get over the forward-placed rearview mirrors...
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    From the back, it looks a lot like a RAV4.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Today while at the shopping mall I just spotted this vehicle. I wasn't too sure what it was, but the badge said it was a Grand Vitara. I didn't expect to see it too soon.

Anyway, it was in royal blue, and it looked great. Much better than the bland/boring design of the current XL7 and Grand Vitara. It looks a whole lot bigger, even more than the XL7. Apparently it's 12 inches longer.

It must have been imported from Japan, but it had RHD! It started selling May 16 in Japan according to Autoweek.

I didn't even know these were out! :surprise:
    RHD? Or did you mean LHD?

Are you near Suzuki's American headquarters? It could be a pre-production model being tested by a Suzuki employee . Did it have "manuafacturer's" license plates?

Bob
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Sorry, I meant LHD.

I'm in the Middle East, so maybe the model will be released here before being released in America. It had normal plates, as far as I can remember.
    Maybe it's already on the market there.

Bob
    It was a pretty base model, but with full-time AWD. This vehicle will go a long way towards changing Suzuki's image here, and for the better. I was very impressed. The power is good; not great but good, and certainly seemed more powerful than the non-turbo Forester 2.5. It seemed very well made, and is about as roomy as a CRV. It lacks the height of the CRV, so the CRV may have more "total" space. Either way it's much roomier than the Forester. The rear seats fold like the CRV, meaning split-fold and tumble.

The ride is not as good as the Forester, mainly because it appears to be a bit more rugged, and you can feel that going over bumps. It's weight is around 3600 lbs, which is in the Outback H-6 neighborhood. The steering seemed to be pretty quick, and quicker than the Forester I think.

The one I drove had the 5-speed automatic. All new Grand Vitaras have a 185 HP 2.7L V6 (w/timing chain), fully independent suspension, choice of 2WD, full-time 4WD, or 4-Mode 4WD (Neutral, 4-hi full-time, 4-hi lock, 4-lo lock), stability control, ABS, fullsize spare and 3K towing. They start around $19K. The one I drove was around $22K. It's a very nice package.

Bob
    there's incentives already.
    A $199/month lease for 36 months.
    Suzuki has been a marginal player for years, and they're doing whatever they can to get more vehicles on the road. The way I view this lease as just another benefit for customers. Personally, I don't care for leases, but I can see how that might be attractive to many.

It could also be nothing more than a reaction to the high gas prices and the associated anti-SUV fever that is now so prevalent; just covering their butts, so to speak.

Bob
    true.

But the Grand Vitara isn't one of those full sizers that get 10 MPG and depend on low gas prices and America's desire for those large trucks to sell...

The Grand Vitara could actually be considered efficient when compared to say an Excursion or H2.

I guess Suzuki is trying to boost sales with this tactic, especially since its right after launch.
  • is efficient when compared to beasts like the H2, Excursion, Suburban.

Anyway, I saw a Grand Vitara in silver color the other day and it looks great. Suzuki seems to have a homerun on their hands.
  • Got a chance to drive a 5-speed manual 2WD the other day. There was only 1 4WD on the lot, an automatic - it was really jammed in, and I couldn't stick around for them to prep it.

Very nice looking, outside and in. Nice seats, great features for the $$. Fun to drive, as well - plenty of get-up-and-go. The only negative I found was, on the freeway, the engine is revving pretty high - like 3000 RPM at 65 mph. Never needed to downshift to 4th to pass anyone, but never felt like it would make a relaxing freeway cruiser. I have yet to try the 5-speed auto version, which should rev lower at this speed. It's only rated 23mpg Highway - kinda wished they made 5th a real OD, and gotten it up to 25-26mpg.
  • Really curious about these new vitara's. they just showed up at our dealers here (Utah) and I currently have an XL-7. I am hoping to get a new SUV that has more get up and go than that. Its good, but not as good as what I have previously had. Of course they were all sport cars. Anyone know if is better than the XL-7 or about the same? Worth the money, or no?
  • I think CAMI will start producing the Theta version of Suzuki's XL-7 next spring.
    If you need the 3rd row of seats or the 3.6L engine, I'd wait until then.
  • I just bought a Pearl White 2006 w/ the Luxury Package 2WD. So far my only complaints are the lack of storage space and I realized the back brakes are Drums, not Disks. I came from a 2002 Altima and it had more storage, even in the trunk. I am hoping this is a reliable vehicle. I put about 25K per year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Congratulations!

Let us know your comments and opinion on the car, it's interior, handling, styling, practicality and quality.

Did you cross shop the competiton first or did you just buy?
  • I actually narrowed it down between an 06 Honda Civic and the Suzuki GV. Some of my gripes are: 1) I wish it had a Navigation system. 2) There is more road noise than I expected. 3) Not many storage places. Overall I am very pleased with it. I hope the reliability is there. I just installed a Parrot Bluetooth Car Kit and had the windows tinted. I am also concerned with the mileage. I am hoping I can get at least 21 MPG combined driving. The last problem is the instant MPG reading. It will go from 5 MPG at start and go up to 99MPG while crusing. It is annoying, or you can turn it off completely. No in between.
  • boikoboiko Posts: 82
    How do people like their new 2006 GV's...what mileage are you getting?

Any feedback would be great..

Thanks..
  • dannykadannyka Posts: 115
    Hi all,

According to the specs on the reat seat, it has hip room of 44". That is barely wider than the rear seat of a Wrangler! I've sat in the back of a Wrangler, and I can tell you that two wide is all you want to put back there. The GV is advertised as a 5-seater.

Those of you who have seen it (or own it), just how is the rear seat room? Is it really meant for two? Would three kids fit okay back there? (By "kids" I mean a teen, a tweener, and a rather squigly 9-year old.)

I haven't been able to get to my local, friendly, neighborhood Suzuki dealer yet, so I don't know firsthand. Any information you could give me would be great! One of these days I'll actually make it to the dealer... :blush:

Thanks,
    --Dan
  • I now have 300 miles on mine. I filled up 3/4 of the way through and I was getting 21 MPG. I do a lot of city driving and it's not broken in yet. I am very happy with this vehicle. It gets better and better the more I drive it. I do have some complaints, but if you look at the price, you have to make compromises. As far as back seat space goes, it is very tight for 5 people. It is fine for 3 small kids. I have two car seats in mine and there is room in the center for me to stack my folders for work, etc. I also like that this is all Japanese. It is not built on the GM Theta platform like the Equinox etc. The new XL-7 is and will be built in Canada. Fit and Finsih is great. Very solid vehicle. I would recommend it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    What is that little rectangular indentation under the hood line right near the base of the A-pillar? Almost looks like a grab-handle to open the hood. Is the hood a front-hinged design ala Corvette?
  • That is decorative. The Suzuki accessories catalog has chrome ones also.
  • It's replacing an Olds Bravada. Much more impressed with the Suzuki than the "luxury" Bravada. Plenty of head and leg room, great styling and standard equipment. So far it's been getting 20 mpg around town, and I haven't been babying the gas pedal. Seems exceptionally quick and the ESP is outstanding.
  • Is yours a 2WD Model?
  • Yes, I opted for the 2WD. With the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and traction control, it handles quite well on wet roads. I've tried to spin it out, taking off around corners, but it won't let me. Handles nothing like a regular rear wheel drive vehicle.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Posts: 464
    Isn't the 2WD FWD?
    No, it's RWD.

Bob