Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    Mostly one in car.
    70% HWY
    29K miles ODO
    Winter average with snow tires - 23 mpg
    Summer average - 26 mpg

-Dan-
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    ... in the 5+ years I've had the car:

97 OB 5MT
    80k or so on the odo at the time
    steady, even 60mph for about a 200 mile trip (I never drive that way, but it WAS a mileage run)

28.2 mpg

Cheers!
    Paul
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Not bad given the A/C was on the entire time and Bob and I took some luggage. Plus we had heavy traffic coming back.

This is on my '98 Forester L 5 speed.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I just turned a 24mpg tank on my F-XT, averaging 25 miles per day. It was probably 50/50 city/highway mileage with AC usage (and of course the turbo).

-Brian
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Just turned 15,000 miles in 5 months. Mostly highway driving. Gas mileage has been increasing as I add miles & the weather gets better (based in New England, near Providence, RI) Most recent trip 30.3 on the computer, 28.7 actual. Since I have had the vehicle, the average mpg for all driving has probably been around 26, although I will check all my figures & report back.

The trip computer consistently shows approx 1.5 mpg higher than actual.
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    1500 miles. 24.0 on the computer - 23.0 actual. 90% highway driving. 10% twisty, two lane back roads in sport mode. Pretty much stayed off the turbo - so far. Rob M.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    17 City
    22 Highway
    5 Track

96 Impreza L Racecar

8-10 Track

-mike
  • toboggantoboggan Posts: 283
    In the winter with a ski box on top on the highway - 23mpg avg.

This past winter in warm Arizona without ski box or roof rack cross bars in town - 22mpg avg (heavy right foot). We did some mountain driving over 8,000' and got a high of 31 mpg. On that trip we "hit" a high of 65mph and averaged about 15-30mph on the twisties (hiway 191 for example). Also did some high speed travel on their freeways and averaged around 25 mpg. Again, this is from my aging memory.

Gas mileage has always been better with the factory cross bars removed. Also have a Subaru rear air deflector and Subaru bug/rock deflector on the front of the hood.

Sorry that the mpg figures aren't more accurate as I usually do the math in the head and don't do numbers to the right of the decimal point. ;)

MNSteve
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    22,900 miles on the car
    Northern NJ / NYC metro area
    Gasoline used: 93 Octane, no-name brand

Winter avg - 21.5 MPG (A/C always off)
    Summer avg - 23.0 MPG without A/C, 21.8 MPG with A/C
    Worst ever - 19.8 (1st tank from the dealer when bought new)
    Best ever - 24.8 (mostly highway with A/C on)
    EPA rated at 18/23 city/hwy

Typical driving 70/30 hwy/city
    Type of driving - always in the fast lane ;-) (but usually keep it at 75 and under)
    Typical daily driving: 3 to 4 cold starts, 3 to 15 mile individual trips
    Tire pressure 31/31
    All measurements are: miles driven / gallons to fill tank

Observed speedometer error: 0% (based on police speed measuring signs)
    Observed odometer error: reads higher by 1.5% (based on mile markers)

Oil changes: first @ 3,750 miles, dino oil
    starting @ 7,500 and every 7,500 miles: Quaker State Full synthetic 5W-30

Sam
  • toboggantoboggan Posts: 283
    Drove down to the twin cities from Duluth yesterday morning in the OBW. Once on the freeway (I-35) set the cruise at 78mph (still got passed a few times). 23.1mpg. There was little wind. Paid $1.98 per gallon at Sam's Club in Duluth. Gas was $2.15 a gallon in the cities - go figure.

6 hours later headed north on I-35. Set the cruise at 78mph - got passed a lot for the first 60 miles. Gassed up at the Duluth Sam's Club. Gas (with Sam's card) was now $2.06. It's still $2.09 at the rest of the stations.

With the 5speed, 78mph is 3700rpm. I should note that I use Amsoil 5w-30 in the engine with Amsoil gear lube in the gearbox and differential.

So far the head gasket repairs are holding (knock on wood).

MNSteve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    On a roll here, last 5 tanks' average:

28.2mpg (with Bob driving to Valley Forge)

73k miles and running nicely. :-)

-juice
    26mpg doing mainly 70mph with the AC in the hot Chicago heat. some traffic and mild wot runs (merging onto the Eisenhower).

-Brian
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    but then again if your on a highway with cruise control, your not having fun with your xt :P
    I'd have to say I'm having plenty of fun with my XT, I really enjoy driving it.

IMO, Chicago traffic doesn't warrant safe use of the CC as you need to keep with the flow of traffic, which seems to speed up or slow down for even the slightest of curves or distractions. Forget about having a 2 second cushion between you and the drivers around you, it just doesn't happen on Chicago roads. I switched lanes frequently and was on boost (moderately mostly) during those lane merges. My average mph for the entire trip was 55.

Only time I'd figure to get anything below 18mpg is during the extreme cold winter (and reformulated fuel).

-Brian
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    I just returned from a week long trip to Buena Vista Colorado. (elevation 7900 ft.) My Subaru Legacy 2.5i LTD wagon auto got 30 mpg for 3750 miles according to the trip computer.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    30 mpg for 3750 miles on a tank? :surprise:

-Dave
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    I left one trip odo unreset for the whole trip and the other reset with each tank. My low was 27 mpg from Kansas to Colorado and my high was 34 mpg from Fairplay (elevation 9000+) to Canon City (elevation 6000). Talk about a downhill run!
  • stantontstantont Posts: 148
    28.8 mpg on a LOOONNNNG highway trip (1500 miles) all cruise control at 75 mph, a/c running full tilt (90-98 degrees outside).
    About 22 mpg around town, but city mpg is very hard to compare with others, because it is so dependent on trip length, traffic, surface street/freeway mix, etc.

Under the same conditions, our '01 Accord v6 got 26.5 highway, 19 city. Even the same brand/model of tires (Turanza LS-H). The mpg penalty for AWD seems to be small...
  • blackbeanblackbean Posts: 100
    50k on 2002 Automatic H6

Usual conditions:
    Commute (50%) - backroads at 30-40 mph, few stops
    Travel (40%) - highway speeds at 65-75 mph
    City (10%) - avoid it if I can! :-)

Fule Economy:
    Average - 22-24 MPG (23.8 most recent)
    Worst - ~18 (winter, snowtires, full car and roof rack, very coldk, snow & ice conditions)
    Best - 26.9 (Summer highway driving at approx 50-60 MPH - no roof rack)

Matt
  • 54000k hwy 21-23

town-- 18-20

only 4 tanks just bought last week---will keep you posted!!!

--Sarge
This discussion has been closed.