Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• This is calculated using the only accurate method; total miles divided by total gallons. It is a mix of 80% highway and 20% local driving. The MPG is a little higher in the summer and lower in the winter (CT). Last week I was stuck in traffic on I95 for 2 hours twice and averaged 57 MPG for 120 miles so the EPA isn't all wet.

:)
  • Cross-country in Vermont, which is pretty hilly and the regenerative braking gains a lot, average mpg is in the low to mid-50s. The highest I have got on a 100mile run to New Hampshire was 62 mpg. I was amazed. The bottom line... if you drive it like an ordinary car, you get about 51 mpg; but if you pay attention and drive light-footed, you can push it up about 5-10mpg. It is fun to drive either way!
  • Drive like an ordinary car..... Around here speeds are higher than ever, It seems that many feel that driving faster uses less gasoline. Normal freeway cruise speeds had been 75, but today it took 80 to keep up with the slow traffic. Prius mpg drops significantly, like other cars, at these higher speeds. A/C is on 100% of the time and mpg is usually about 44 at 75 mph (long freeway drives).

I've found that using the EV only mode for initial acceleration around town helps mpg by about 5%, but still doesn't get local mpg out of the low 40s. The EV only mode makes for a cute show trick to passengers, but EV only range is only a little over a mile unless there are no hills. In stop and go traffic, staying below 34 mph, acceleration is good enough in EV only mode to stay with traffic. The gasoline engine starts when the pink lines show on the battery or when speeds exceed 34 mph (or when the gas pedal is pressed more than half way down).
  • alpine1alpine1 Posts: 51
    A neighbor has a Prius with 19,000 miles. The computer in the car calculated an average 45 mpg for a 450 miles of combined about 50/50 city highwy driving.
  • quasar4quasar4 Posts: 110
    --Got 56.8 mpg from Toledo to Breezewood, PA and exactly 60.0 from Breezewood to Washington D.C. (the display literally clicked from 59.9 to 60.0 as I glided into the parking lot......weeee!!). Had a welcome NW tailwind (20 to 30 mph) most of the way, cruise control set to 66, tire pressure set at 38/36, with temps ranging from the low 50's to the upper 60's (no A/C required) over the 500 mile trip.

--In the other direction, the '04 Prius sipped 55.3 overall with no significant tailwind.

--Kissed the steering wheel upon arrival at my final destination...Love this car!!
  • Alpine:

Did you get a chance to drive your neighbors car?...what year was it?....how did you like it?
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    There are other discussion threads about people not liking the Prius.
    If you are driving on the Highway at 57 mph, you are a hazard and you will cause a wreck from people driving around you. I would not like it either. You have a car that gets good mileage. Drive it "normally" and then post your mileage. Also if you slow down early for stop signs and stop lights you will cause a wreck. Please don't. I understand trying to get good mileage and that drivers should be better, but they are not. Peoples' lives are more important than trying to go from 51 mpg to 55 mpg.
    If you are driving on the Highway at 57 mph, you are a hazard and you will cause a wreck from people driving around you... Also if you slow down early for stop signs and stop lights you will cause a wreck.

"...yes officer, I admit I was wrecklessly doing 80 in a 55 mph zone when I rear-ended that Prius, but he's the guy you should be giving the ticket to! Anyone who drives 57 in a 55 zone is practically begging for me to hit him!!"

phhhhhhhhfffffffffttttt!!

Next week twisted logic guy says, "... seriously judge, i was minding my own business --just driving along trying to beat red lights-- when some idiot in front of me decides to slow down early for a yellow light instead of trying to run it like everybody else. Can you blame me for plowing into him??"
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    A person may not legally cause an accident, but they still may actually be the cause of an accident.

This happens because we are so "virtuous" in what we say, and "law-happy" in proving it. On the other hand the majority of people ignore the law, feeling they have special circumstances, or driving expertise to drive faster.

The problem is that the laws should reflect what the majority is doing; not necessarily what they say. People who do drive the speed limit in most places, are increasing the dangers of the road.

you: i was minding my own business --just driving along trying to beat red lights-- when some idiot in front of me decides to slow down early for a yellow light instead of trying to run it like everybody else. Can you blame me for plowing into him??"

me: you better not go to Boston/Mass then. never stop for a yellow light or you'll get rear-ended. You're always better off taking the chance of getting a ticket.
  • ...let's not stray too far afield. Please focus on reporting MPG here and refrain from comments concerning others driving habits and vehicular laws.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

--I guess they can't read up there in Boston either. ;) You mistakenly equate "slowing down early" to "slamming on the brakes late." Nobody is advocating stopping early for a yellow light --merely slowing down early so that if you see a yellow light ahead, and you can't safely avoid the red, let off the gas and coast up to the intersection. Better yet, if you see the light change from a block or so away, slow down and try to time the light so that you're still carrying some momentum when it does change back to green. Improvements in real-world MPG certainly do not result from slamming on the brakes*. I'm sure you would agree that if you have to mash the brakes into the floorboard to avoid entering the intersection on a yellow, then you're just as big of a tool as the guy who sees the yellow with plenty of time to safely slow down and stop, but decides to mash the accelerator and gamble with his life and the lives of others that he can beat the red.

*Long-term '04 Prius gas mileage (Jan. '04 to present) is 53.92 mpg and rising. :D
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Agree with coasting when your 1/2 a block or more away from a light turning yellow. I was referring to your comment where you talking about whether; to slowdown for a yellow light or, "run it". Because in order to run a yellow light, you are talking about a distance equivalent to approx. 1 sec. from the intersection. You can not run a yellow light from 1/2 block or more , unless you are going about 150 mph!

Coasting up to yellow lights from a distance is okay.
    Applying the brakes upon yellow, 1 sec from the intersection is dangerous. I suggest accelerating to make it thru the intersection under yellow (running it), and eliminate the chance of getting rear-ended, by the occasional person who is aggressive and is going to follow you thru.
  • rccrcc Posts: 1
    Have had my 2005 Prius since July. 1st month took a trip (1,800 miles) over both interstates and rural roads at speeds up to 70 mph and averaged 50.2 mpg. Not bad!!!
  • kevregkevreg Posts: 11
    Are you serious? Someone should run the light and risk getting a ticket so YOU won't get blamed for rear ending them, so YOU won't get the ticket, so YOU won't get dropped by your insurance because YOU are the high risk driver. And, of course, the law should be changed to fit YOUR driving style. You're not asking for much, are you?
  • buds1buds1 Posts: 1
    I'm a new owner of a 2005 Prius. I've heard a rumor that there is a commercial software modification that can improve mileage.
    Anyone knowledgeable on this?

Buds1
  • Depending on the kind of driving you do, and what you're comparing the Prius to, the economics of the Prius don't make much sense. Especially when you factor in the battery replacement cost.

A large majority of my driving is on the highway at 110km/h or 68mph, and overall it seems that getting the EPA hwy numbers for these vehicles at these speeds is pretty reasonable. So at CDN90cents/Liter I would save about CDN$4000 over 150,000 miles in fuel driving the Prius but THEN I would have to deduct about CDN$2000 from that for the battery replacement. I'm assuming the Matrix would not require CDN$2000 in drivetrain repairs at 150,000 miles, which is a pretty reasonable assumption as it's the Corolla drivetrain.

The MSRP difference between these two is about CDN$10,000.

As far as GHG emissions go, these kind of dollar figures could take you very far towards getting your house on wind and solar either directly or indirectly. (i.e. some utilities allow you to specifically pay for "green" energy)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "So at CDN90cents/Liter I would save about CDN$4000 over 150,000 miles in fuel driving the Prius but THEN I would have to deduct about CDN$2000 from that for the battery replacement. "

There is a whole forum on battery issues ("The Great Battery Debate"), that discusses this unknown. However, Toyota believes that the battery will last as long as the vehicle itself. They keep the battery between 30 and 80 percent of charge capacity to extend the life.

However, in general you are correct. If you are driving a small car already, you may be achieving about 75% of the MPG of the Prius. If you do all your driving in the city it is a more dramatic difference (provided you are not doing short trips - the Prius delivers much worse MPG if the engine doesn't heat up). It is all a matter of your driving needs and expenses of the ICE car you currently drive.
  • Actually I made my post to the wrong thread, but thanks for the confirmation.

Personally, I do like the "large hatchback" design and wish they had such a version with the Camry 2.4L engine for those of us for whom that makes more sense. They could label it a Camry if they wanted to, and it would be interesting to see what the total weight would be with this substitution -- it might actually be lighter than the Camry sedan and give slightly better highway mileage (EPA 34mpg).
  • Funny you should mention that, rdeschene, because Toyota is creating a Camry Hybrid that will be released in Fall 2006. They will release more information on it, and on the regular Camry whose redesign comes out in Spring 2006, on January 9th.

The Hybrid will mate the Hybrid Synergy Drive to the normal 2.4L 158-hp inline-4. Unofficial specs are here and photos (of probably the SE) are here.
  • Hmmm Maybe it is time to upgrade. I wonder what the tax credit will be on the Camry.