Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• I will never believe that is a floormat isssue,not in a million years.It's a problem with their software,or maybe with the cruise control.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I doubt there is a car on the road that uses winter blend gas that doesn't suffer from less mpg in the winter. Look at it the other way, you are getting better than the other fellow that don't have a Prius.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    I know plenty of Prius owners who are disillusioned with their cars. Poor fuel economy, software issues, control issues on slippery surfaces. The Prius is a complicated, imperfect product that is proving itself to be a danger to those who drive it.

If you really want to be so green, drive a diesel.
  • I live in central NJ. I noticed that my 2009 Prius gas mileage went from about 50 in the fall to about 44 mpg in the winter. The car has been ok in the snow; it is not too different than my Honda Accord in the snow. I own 2 of them. My wife has still been getting 52 mpg even in the winter. I don't know how she does it.
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    This is an amazing post.. by someone that wishes they owned a Prius. You take all the Prius cars on the road and I'd bet less than 1% don't like their cars. You compare it to any US made car, we have all owned over the years, and it's a much better built car. There is no need to justify that statement any more than had already been done.

Keep the posts like this coming.. perhaps someone will listen.. but not me.

Scott

(Oh, I do admit that the US manufacturers / designers of new autos are getting much better.. and that's good for all of us)
  • I own a 2007 Prius package 2,and I like the car,but am very concerned with the stories about the crazy acceleration problems.Aren't you at least a bit concerned? :confuse:
  • I couldn't disagree with you more, "winter2"! I''ve owned my 2006 Prius since Feb 2006 (after waiting 2 months for her) and I absolutely LOVE it!!!
    I would not wish a Prius or any hybrid on anyone. I drive a Jeep Liberty CRD which has been exceedingly reliable and economical. I test drove a new Prius in 2005 and every time the drive train transitioned to gas power, I thought I would get whiplash. The car was noisy and lacked the power to climb long hills or get onto busy highways safely.

I also evaluated the Highlander hybrid and found it just as unsatisfactory as the Prius and far more expensive than my Jeep.
  • Where do you get your info winter2. I have an 07 Prius with 62K+ miles and I am very happy with it. No brakes or electronic issues. The only thing I ever replaced on this car are the tires + routine oil changes. Last I checked, the Liberty CRD is about 3mpg better than the 3.7L gas liberty. The regular gas Liberty that I have driven were noisy also, but does have better pick up than the Prius. I have owned several Toyotas in the past and have been very happy with them.
    As for reliability, my cousin had to replace the transmission twice on his 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee now at 130K miles. Chrysler makes more problematic vehicles than most other manufacturers.
  • If you don't own a Prius and even hate it,why are you here? Just wondering.I have a 2007 Prius and while all the recent problems concern me,the car drives great and I hardly get whiplash when switching to the gas mode.It also has plenty enough acceleration to get on the interstates.
    I also own a KIA Optima, which is more comfortable,but nobody buys a Prius for it's comfort.It's for economy.
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    My 2008 Prius is great too.. don't let the 'I wish I had a Prius" people bother you. We know what we have, and it's a great car, MANY cars have problems - how many manufacturer's would have stepped up to the plate and done a recall? I had a 2002 BMW - transmission problems all over the web - no recall, no admitting there was a problem by BMW - I was pissed. I was told to get the car fixed at my expense and if a recall was to ever happen, save the receipts and it MAY get reimbursed, There are 100s of stories like this.

I'd buy another Prius in a second!

Scott
    What Toyota has nearly managed to do is pull off a "John Edwards" and nearly get away with it. They bullied NTSHA into saying that there was no problem when there really was. Now Toyota is giving us the 2010 Prius with a braking issue (software) that endangers the driver as well as those around that person. Toyota is a company that is run by liars.

If you think feel the Prius is so wonderful look at these sites:

http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/Toyota/Prius/recalls.aspx

http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-02/recalls/toyota/prius/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/recalls/11/toyota/prius/index.html

http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/safety-recall-16.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-02-08-toyota08_ST_N.htm

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/100208-Questions-abo- ut-Toyota-s-Response-to-Complaints-Continue/
  • I'm not defending corporate Toyota.I am just wondering what brings you here to bad mouth a car you don't even own.Surely there must be a site for whatever you happen to own.To me that makes you a troll.
    Frankly, the truth is that the Prius is Toyota's "Corvair", unsafe and everytime I see one near me I cringe.

You are right, I do not own one and I would not own one.

If I am a troll then at least I am not a blind troll.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    This discussion is about Prius mileage, not the recalls or brake issues. If you want to discuss those issues, we have a dedicated diiscussion to do so in. Please follow that link to continue there.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I drove several hybrids before purchasing my Jetta TDI manual 6 speed sedan. I don’t think you can compare the two. The real world Jetta TDI mileage is 45-55mpg, not the 30/40 that is on the sticker. Conversely, the Prius owners seldom get the rated mpg. The TDI has the world record for driving in all 48 lower states in an average 68mpg. It’s sporty and fun to drive, and TDI’s have been the greenest of them all for the past two years. Prius has about 30 lbs of rare earth material and is NOT GREEN!!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Road & Track did a fuel economy test of a 2010 Prius in SoCal recently, published in its March issue. They tested the Prius in 9 different scenarios, of the type you would see if you live in a large urban area like L.A. (but also drive outside of it). The FE ranged from a low of 40.8 mpg in the "canyon carving" scenario (two-lane roads in twisty hills) to a high of 66.7 mpg in the "suburban sprawl" scenario (Long Beach to LAX). In every test but the "canyon carving", the Prius topped 50 mpg. The overall average for all tests, over 336 miles, was 54.5 mpg. The article pointed out that the drivers used a "enthusiastic yet fuel-cognizant pace--no dicing, no hypermiling, no 'pulse and coast', no extreme skip-shifting. They also agreed they would have fun on the trip. :)

I think this test shows it's very possible to get mid-50s mpg in a 2010 Prius in tough real-world conditions, such as those experienced by most drivers everyday. Not just easy cruising on a rural highway or freeway, or not just stop-and-go urban driving that favors the Prius' electric mode, but a realistic mix of driving situations.

P.S. The Prius was compared directly to two other cars in this test: a 2011 Fiesta stick, and a 2010 Golf TDI stick. The Fiesta averaged 40.3 mpg (range 32.2 to 46.8), and the TDI averaged 42.7 mpg (range 30.9 to 53.5).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special_feature/hybrid-reality
  • I think temperature is a key component in the Prius's MPG (and really in all vehicles). I bought mine in October and got 50 MPG while the temp was above 50 degrees, but since then I've gotten 37 - 44. The short trips are the worst - the engine has to run to warm up the hybrid battery and the heater core. You know what though? Don't care. It's still awesome and I'm sure I'll get better numbers when it warms up.
  • I get 45 or more on the highway on my 2007 Prius and maybe 30 or less in town.This is a car seriously lacking in comfort on a long trip,but full of electronic gadgets.As I see it,it's only advantage is the fuel economy.It was my wife's idea to get it, and I regret that she talked me into it.She on the other hand,loves it.
    I like my KIA much better. :sick:
    P.S.We just bought it last month,so it is cold.Maybe the mileage in town will improve in the spring.
  • Your MPG will drop in the winter. My average MPG is about 44 in the winter and about 47 in the spring/summer/fall when out side temp > 50F. The worse MPG I ever received per tankful is 39mpg in the winter. The Prius drives like an economy car, but I realized I bought the car for it's great MPG not it's "luxurious" ride. My car's mileage dropped about 1 - 2 MPG since I put better tires on it over 30K miles ago, much better than the low rolling resistance tires that it came with. I would buy another Prius in a second without hesitation. I do not have 1 single problem with my Prius after almost 63K miles. I would also buy a diesel car from Toyota/Honda or Subaru if they ever sell them in this country, but not Volkswagen(poor reliability). I did test drive the 09 VW Jetta TDI and it rode way better than the Prius and have a nicer interior than my 07 Prius. But I cannot get over VW's poor reliability.
  • Hey everyone, I am considering purchasing the prius. A friend of mine who owned one warned me that on a hot day you basically have to choose, AC or power. His was a 2008 so I think the engine has been upgraded.
    He was also saying that when in heavy traffic (living in LA) the AC was sketchy as well.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Looks like my hilly 20mi commute, mostly highway I will be averaging around 80mpg on (20% of the time in ICE-kill).

I had a recent 377mi segment with 95mpg (flatter, slower) (60% ICE-kill). These are consumption gauge numbers. Real world gas-fill numbers to follow soon.

More here: www.smilingdogsranch.com/priusblog

Scott
  • mbros2kmbros2k Posts: 71
    edited February 2010
    3000 miles on the odometer and mileage has increased slightly to 50/hw and 46/city. We drive about 70 mph on the highway and normally and defensively around town using no special techniques.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    if you calculate the price of a gallon of diesel vs 87octane here's the real MPG equivalent:
    gas $2.5/gal
    diesel $3.0/gal
    1000 miles driven@45mpg (diesel) = 22gal x $3 = $67
    1000 miles driven@37mpg (gas) = 27gal x $2.5 = $67

So if I'm driving a car getting 37mpg, then a diesel would need to get 42mpg just to break even. And that's only if diesel is 50cents/gal more. I've seen it where diesel is almost $1 more than regular gas, which means this:

1000 miles driven@45mpg (diesel) = 22gal x $3.5 = $77
    1000 miles driven@33.5mpg (gas) = 31gal x $2.5 = $77

So if diesel was $1 more per gallon then getting 45mpg would equal 33.5mpg in a regular gas car.

Based on this, if the Prius will give you 50mpg on the highway and the TDI 45mpg, it's really a comparison of 50mpg vs 33-37mpg of the TDI if you factor in the price of diesel.
  • dgr124dgr124 Posts: 9
    Got my Prius last summer. Easily could get avg. MPG in the 50s. Actually did a bit better on highway at 60-65 mph. Winter here in Wisconsin did bring the numbers down to 43-46. Recently on some warm days, mileage was up again. Currently reading 57.2 MPG. Although not sure how accurate that is. But it is still great. (On highway, held accelerator down, going 70. Kept foot on accelerator and hit brake. Car/engine immediately slowed down)
  • tlmiketlmike Posts: 5
    I got my 2010 Prius this past Sunday. I live in Southern Cal, so no cold weather issues. After 100 miles, stated mpg is surprisingly low at 43.5. Still, over 2.5 times better than the Acura TL I used to drive (got 16 mpg city). My commute is 100% city, flat roads, many stoplights. 7.5 miles to work. I tend to run the a/c all of the time, which has got to hit the numbers a bit. Still, I had hoped for the 51 mpg city that the sticker claimed (the sticker also hedged with a range of 43 - 57).
  • tlmiketlmike Posts: 5
    down to 42.7 mpg now. I hit the eco mode button, I'll see if that does anything to improve mileage.
  • lew74lew74 Posts: 8
    I live in Port Richey Florida and have an 05 prius. In summer without ac I get 55 to 56 mpg. in winter I get 52to 53 mpg. In summer with ac I get 52 to 53 mpg. However my normal drive each day is about 6 mile each way,if I make a lot of short trips to store etc mpg will drop 3 to 4 mpg.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I'm finishing up my second set of OEM tires. I have a separate set of snow tires for winter use. What are the best tires for wear and comfortable ride?
  • mapleleavemapleleave Posts: 25
    Has anybody traded a Gen 2 prius to a Gen 3? I am wondering for the same commute and driver, what has been the improvement for 2010 Prius.

My 07 touring with aftermarket B/S tire average 41mpg in summer time, and 43mpg if my top speed is limited to 66mph. In the winter, it is about 38mpg in Michigan.