Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    If it is a DOHC, aren't they between the cam covers?
  • jsmith1975jsmith1975 Posts: 21
    I expected it to be a little higher, but it's not bad considering the speeds and extra weight.

I would think you would have done better too. Those high speeds were probably worse for mileage than the added weight. How was the AC use? That would be a big factor as well.

I would estimate the A/C was used 85% of the time.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    I took a peak at the manual and it said something about removing the ignition coil and fiddle farten around. It didn't seem complicated, but it seemed a little more involved than it should.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but it is a DOHC, not trying to 'look' like I'm yelling or anything, but sometimes minor details get lost in the shuffle.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    The manual illustrations are what I used to do it.
    Is there anything that I would need to look for to see if they are in need of replacement.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    They will look ok, the platinum is very tough. It will probably just run better with new ones. I saved my old plugs to take to the dealer for comment when I have my annual inspection. It's important to use anti seize compound and not over tighten the plugs. I use a torque wrench to be safe.
  • heidmanrheidmanr Posts: 8
    Filled up today with 1896 total miles. So far overall MPG is 28.07 while driving 70% highway miles and 30% in town. Typically I put cruise on 70, but last few times on 130 mile round trips have done 75-80 MPH. Best tank was 30.04 MPG while lowest tank was 24.81. Overall very satisfied and glad that my numbers overall are in the upper 20's.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ....overall MPG is 28.07 while driving 70% highway miles and 30% in town. Typically I put cruise on 70, but last few times on 130 mile round trips have done 75-80 MPH.

.....have been driving lately like I was behind the wheel for my first license with some DMV [non-permissible content removed] in the right seat.... (60HWY/40CITY)

....seems to work: last four tanks ups over 1045 miles used 33 3/4 gallons of 87. That is 31 MPG (Someone should tell my V-6 to stop acting like a four.............)

best, ez
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    have been driving lately like I was behind the wheel for my first license with some DMV [non-permissible content removed] in the right seat.... (60HWY/40CITY)

....seems to work: last four tanks ups over 1045 miles used 33 3/4 gallons of 87. That is 31 MPG (Someone should tell my V-6 to stop acting like a four.............)

Someone should tell the driver to stop DRIVING like its a four! ;) Just funnin'
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    Yeah - what is the point of having the POWER of the V6 if you aren't going to use it!! ;) Again, just funnin too! :P
  • malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    I have been consistently getting 37 MPG highway, and 26 MPG city (avg. 32 MPG). The speed in highway is between 65 mph and 70 mph, in the city in NEW YORK bumper to bumper between 10 MPH and 25 MPH. I don't slam on the brake at last minute until the cars nose dive into the ground , and I do not start from stand still with the car's nose in the sky and the tires chirping looking for traction. I tried once to drive this car like I use to (defenssively), but still I managed 28 MPG on average between city and highway. One more thing, this is a manual transmission, and I always try to up shift early and down shift later, to avoid reving the engine. with automatic transmission you can not do that, especialy with grade logic that is always trying to downshift as soon as you take your feet off the gas pedal. ...
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Assume you has the best I4 mpg on 08 model, Post #1880 (mikekrause) has the 2nd best mpg with his I4 MT coupe. He could almost get 37 mpg, when going at 55mph. What gallon are you talking about (Imperial /US gallon)? lol
  • matador51matador51 Posts: 17
    This is the third trip I've taken to the same 357 mi destination driving ~75 mph. Not more than 10% city driving. There is ~ 3500 km on the car.

Trip #1 - 22.2 mpg
    Trip #2 - 25.6 mph
    Trip #3 - 23.5 mph
  • malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    I am talking about US gallon. This must be surprise to some people that drive like they are cop chasing a drug dealer; but it is quiet simple; As soon as I get on the highway I shift the gear on fifth and stay at 8 miles per hours above the speed limit, looking at my SCANGUAGE II can see that my MPG is floating between 27 MPG and 48 MPG, it goes up or down depending on head winds or tail winds or little up hill or down hill.
    Last week I made trip from Hershey PA to JFK airport, I managed 38 MPG, but as soon I got into the bumper to bumper traffic on Belt Pkway. NY, the AVG went down to 33 MPG. The whole trip is 400 miles, 200 miles each way. When I refueled after this trip I had to put 13 gallons for full tank. If you do math; I travelled 430 miles with 13 gallons; that's 33.07 mpg on avg. And during this trip I was flowing with traffic I was not crawling on the right lane. Those are the numbers I collected using the SCANGUAGE2 and using the old fashion way of calculating the fuel used during a trip. When it comes to fuel consumption it all comes down to how you drive, if I drive my Accord like a street racer I will still manage to get 25 MPG from the I4 engine. Some people even if they are not racing the fact that they are revving unnecessarily the engine wasting all that energy just to get to next stop light, specially in heavy traffic. You just need to take it easy on the throttle, you're not going to go anymore faster than all those people in that heavy traffic, unless your car can fly, plus trying to drive like jerk will only increase your chance of having an accident or ticket, and wasting more time. I am saying this and feel like an old man trying to advice his kids. Sorry for been long, I just wanted to make clear that driving behavior influence a lot the AVG fuel economy for a specific car model. lol
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Latest tank for me. I4 MT 450 miles 40.6 mpg calculated 39.2 scangauge (been reading a tad low lately need to adjust for the heat). First 190 mile trip was 47+ mpg at 55 mph. next 190 miles was 45 mpg at 60 mph. Rest was in town driving - 70 miles. Went 380 miles at half tank, but filled up because I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow with only one gas station (this is SD).

Lifetime mpg is now at 33.2 calculated for 36,000 miles.
    10 tank rolling average is at 36.4 mpg calculated.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    .......First 190 mile trip was 47+ mpg at 55 mph.............

Outstanding! (As we used to say in the Navy)

Those are numbers my V-6 can only dream of (apologize for grammar).

best, ez....
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Yes I was Happy. Conditions were very good. Slight tail wind, level terrain, and very little A/C needed.

I actually enjoy the luxury of slowly cruising accross the prarie. Very relaxing. I must be getting old. I will try not to drive with the blinker on.
    Hey all-

I just filled up today and my average ended up being just over 26.6. I don't know if it was because I set the nozzle on the pump to the slowest setting, something I don't normally do, or if it was because I had to use the a/c a fair bit. It's been getting very humid around here lately. I guess I'm still beating the combined mpg for the car so I'm not too upset. I'm starting to wonder if I should increase my tire pressure pretty soon.
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    Overall I'm happy with my mileage. I have kept track of mileage for every tank of gas on the fuel economy dot gov website. City/highway split is 53/47. :shades:
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    I just got 23 on my first tank also. I know guys at work who have new Accords that tell me they get 27 city and 34 HWY (that is why I bought the Accord) So I hope it gets better.
    Doug