Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• I've noticed this and a few other postings referring to the alpha numeric engine designations. Got me curious enough to google it and found that Wikipedia has a very thorough page dedicated to the chronology of Honda engines, linked below for those interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine
  • Hi, I just bought a 2007 Accord SE V6 with 19k miles on it.
    While driving it 65/35 city highway my mileage is 18-18.5
    Is this ok or too low? Any opinions?
  • To return that kind of mileage you would have had to been mashing the throttle all the time. Assuming no severe aggression towards the throttle you should see 25 mpg's or better with a 60% steady 65 mph the balance a mix of stop & go up to 35 mph.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,140
    not really that out of line. again, everyones concept of city/highway is different.

I have a 2005 odyssey and a 2000 TL. Purely around town, with AC, the TL will only get 17-18. the Odyssey maybe 15. My accord 4 cyl 5 speed though will get 25 on the same cycle.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Your mileage is what it is. Each drive,driver,vehicle,etc., is unique and your results will vary.
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    edited September 2010
    It's bound to be the current fuel blends. I've noticed similar decreases in mpg in both our 09 Civic and (don't laugh) our 08 HHR 2.4. In addition I have found that using the A/C decreases mpg to a greater percentage in the HHR vs the Civic. But the A/C in the HHR handles HOT days better than the Civic..
    P. S. For example. If I make a lot of short city runs and spend alot of time in drive thrus,I can get as low as 16 in my 02 V6 Accord. If my city driving has more expressway mix,I can get 19-20 city mpg. Just different driving routes.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Your car is what it is, after 3M miles whatever gas mileage your getting is all your going to get. When people start trying to stretch the mileage by different tires, gas cleaners, special vodoo oil changes,et. forget it because when you do the math the numbers will always come up the same
  • imscfimscf Posts: 34
    If you wanted better mileage, you should've bought a 4 cynlinder. Never cease to amaze me why people who purchage a 6 complain about poor mileage.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I only saw the last few messages here, but I've never seen blufz do anything except praise his torquey (relative to I4) V6. They tow their small boat with it.
    Lol. Not complaining,just reporting. I prefer the V6 to the four,smoother,quieter,etc.
    Lol. Hi,Grad. Hope you are well. Sorry, to hear about your Honda. Guess you got a bad one. I've been lucky,my '02 is still running well at 109k. I've test driven later Accord models and noticed they seem to use slightly lower quality materials than my '02. I plan to keep this one as long as possible,as I don't want to enter the New Car Lottery until absolutely necessary.
    I had a good run with it, loved how it drove, but it wasn't the stellar vehicle my '96 has been.

On topic, I have a 52 mile commute daily (38 of that is interstate, the other 14 is 45 MPH highway) and average 30-31 mpg in my '96 Accord LX with the 4-speed automatic. I keep my interstate speed within 5 mph of the limit (60) and travel before rush hour, 6:30-3:30. My Sonata V6 gets the same mileage on the same commute, but I'm still pleased with my old Honda!
  • daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    Is it not amazing how fuel efficiency just keep on improving? Your much more powerful late model V6 Sonata showing the same gas mileage as the grossly underpowered (in today's terms) 96 Accord I4 - what an engineering achievement! What a pleasure to drive the current vehicles, almost irrespective of make and model. Incidentally, I have driven our 08 LX-P Accord for 620 miles on one tank of gas (filled till overflow) on interstate roads for a gas mileage of just over 32 mpg. That is pretty similar to figures for our 04 EX-V6, such similarity being explicable in terms of the weight difference between the two cars.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2010
    The '96 Accord is about 2800 lbs and 140 hp--comparable to a 2010 Elantra, and better than the 2011 Cruze--so it's hardly "grossly underpowered." But you'll notice that in today's terms it's a compact car (hence the Elantra and Cruze comparisons).

And yes, you're right, it is amazing that a modern midsize (borderline full-size) Sonata with 50% more horsepower and 500 lbs more "road-hugging weight" can match the economy of the compact '96 Accord.

You want "grossly underpowered"? I had an '82 Accord LX hatchback, 2300 lbs, 72 hp, three-speed automatic. Averaged 22 mpg in town and 28 on the interstate. Saw 30 mpg once--drafting a Mercedes diesel at 50 mph. Very similar mpg to my current '02 Accord 3.0 V6, 3300 lbs, 200 hp, four-speed automatic.
    Bingo: the '96 Accord is eerily similar in size to my dad's 07 Civic Sedan. The Accord has more torque but the Civic has the better passing power (and an extra transmission gear helps that in a big way).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Just finished my longest tank in my 07 Accord I4 SE MT.

667 miles 16.2 gallons just over 41 mpg (Scangauge showed 41.7 mpg). 11 days of driving - 3 days of highway and the rest was all in town. Drove 100 miles after the fuel light came on - still had a gallon left in the tank, but I don't want to push it any further. I think 700 miles is certainly doable - just need a long enough trip so it is all highway.

Stats to date.

10 tank average 39.1 mpg
    20 tank average 38.4 mpg
    50 tank average 35.9 mpg
    Lifetime average 34.7 mpg

Gotta get the 10 tank over 40 before it gets too cold.
  • daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    Dudleyr, I am amazed at these fuel consumption figures. At what speeds do you drive on, say, an Interstate with a 70 mph speed limit? This is so much better than the approximately 32 mpg observed with our 2008 LXP even with exclusive Interstate driving at 4-6 mph above the speed limit.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    daneel... you will never get dudley's mileage in your 08. He has the previous generation. His is also a manual transmission and he uses some masterful gas saving driving techniques.

I get great mileage in my 06 EX-L w/navi I4 manual but I've only been over 40 mpg twice and that was mostly all freeway (although it included mountain passes.) Still never had a tank below 28 after 87k miles though. I used to consistently get in the mid-30s when I had a long commute. Now there are more short trips so I'm down to low 30s around town.

Dudley is the master though. :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    daneel - while you go 4-6 mph over the speed limit I often go 4-6 mph under. That 10 mph makes a huge difference in mpg. In SD our speed limit is 75 so I rarely go over 70 on the interstate and I usually avoid the interstates when traveling within the state. On my most recent tanks I have had a lot of travel to more rural locations in the state with much lower speed limits and spent a lot of time going about 60 mph. I always used to go the speed limit in my Integra (or faster) but when I realized the speedo read about 4-5 mph too high in the Integra (once I got my gps) and that the Accord was spot on, it was not much of a leap to go slower knowing that I had been going much slower than I thought in my previous car.

Some of the things that I do to help mpg. No magic bullet, just lots of little things that add up. 40 psi tires, 0w-20 synthetic oil, a well broken in vehicle, tires are well worn (new tires get the worst mpg). I anticipate stops/ conserve energy, avoid short trips (cold engines get horrible mpg). Coast whenever you can, take routs with fewer stops. Park so you don't have to back up, try not to warm up the car - just drive off (when it is -20 out I let the car get warm). The stick shift helps immensely as it allows much greater control of the engine.

The most important thing is speed. You get the best mpg at the slowest speed you go in your tallest gear. I could probably get 70 mpg if I had a perfectly level road and I drove 30 mph in 5th gear, but who wants to do that. I do sometimes go 55 mph if I am not in a hurry and it is a nice day - especially if I am just on a trip for work. It helps that I learned to drive when the national speed limit was 55 even on Interstates, so driving 55 on a rural two lane road with no shoulders does not seem terribly slow.

Another huge factor is weather, but it is not under your control. Wind and temp are big factors. When taking a long trip I actually look at the winds and sometimes modify my route to avoid head winds if I can. In other words if I have to go north east and there is a wind from the east I will go north first if the wind will die down later, but go east first if the wind will get stronger later.

The Scangauge really helps show how all of these things change your mpg.

Tallman - you're too kind. I will concede master status to Wayne Gerdes. He went a bit further than me and turned the engine off every time he coasted (a little dangerous for me). I think he used to average over 50 mpg around town in an Accord - he used to post on here before he started his own web site. Google him for some interesting mpg reading.