Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• I have a 05 EX-V6, it gets 18.6 mpg when it is new driving on strickly local. At rush hour, it took about one hour to go 20 miles to get there. This si from my wife's driving.

From my daughter's driving to and back to HS, about 4 to 50 miles one way. She gets 16/18 (winter/summer).

Whe I drive it to work, I got 22 to 25 on 25 miles of local roads but straight and sometimes seppds up to 55/65.

Dies it sound reasonable to any of you having the V6?
    Every time I looked at the trip computer, my is broken seeing 15.9MPG...
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    Certainly your mileage will vary based on your driving habits. I did have to adjust mine somewhat with my 06 EX V6 5A. I found that it has less rolling resistance than my previous 02 Infinit I35. I had to learn to anticipate a stop sign or red light a little earlier and start coasting sooner before braking to a stop. It was little tricky since I also want to move with the flow of traffic and not hold anyone else up. The thing I can't stand is someone who obviously is driving to "save" gas but they'll have a long line of cars behind them gunning to get around, because they're too slow to move away from a light/stop sign, or they'll start coasting to a light/stop sign way too early. This drives people nuts!

Since my first tank of gas almost 1 month ago, I have been averaging 25.5 to 26.5 mpg. I don't have any open highways where I live, but the roads sometimes allows me to get up to 60-65 mph between lights. On my 13 mile drive to the office, I have 4 stop signs and 5 lights to go through, so I consider my driving to be 50/50 city/hwy. :D
  • 25 to 26 MPG? That's amazing!

I just had my new 06 EX-V6 driving back from dealer's lot.
    A 35 miles of drive on I-495 (DC area), some stop and go on interstate but not bad.
    25MPG is what I got.
    I just filled up with my 4th tank of gas. MPG's is holding steady at 26.5 mpg. I'm lovin it! :shades:
  • chedonnachedonna Posts: 2
    My last drive down to Parris Island, SC in May, 05 - a nine hour 2 tank trip - gave me 38.6 mpg on 95% highway averaging between 65/70 mph. I was stoked. Now, I'm barely scraping in at 27. My car is tuned in and maintained just as well now as it was last year so it's gotta be the gas. I don't know what they've added to our fuel in VA but I don't like it. I'd rather pay an extra $.30/gal than lose over 10 mpg. Think about it... If you're spending $2.20/g and getting 27 to a gallon, that's $.08/mile. But $2.50/g at 38m/g is only $.065/mile. Multiply that times the 50,000 miles I've put on my car in the past two years... $750 in savings over two years. Shoot, that's more than half what I paid for the car. :mad:
    My last drive down to Parris Island, SC in May, 05 - a nine hour 2 tank trip - gave me 38.6 mpg on 95% highway averaging between 65/70 mph. I was stoked. Now, I'm barely scraping in at 27....

You're saying with 95% highway driving, you're now only getting 27 mpg? That's a big drop! Did you change tires, or maybe brakes are dragging? What about emissions - does it pass currently? :confuse:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    MPG seems to be stabalizing on my '05 EX-L 4 cyl/5 seed (now up to 2,500 miles.

Last 2 tanks, all local running around, have been 24.5-25. Slightly better than my Scion tC did in the same usage.

For the driving I don, that isn't bad, since it is a mix of stop/go, lots of short trips, mayny on/off cycles. I did get 33+ on the one road trip I did do with it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ....trust me (stick), your MPG will improve........

...at 2500, your engine is still tite/breaking in.....

Christ! I got a six and I've pushed real hard on 40.....

...these are great automobiles.......

all the best, ez..
  • '99 Accord LX, 2.4L, 5 speed stick, 97k miles

Driving is mostly 35-50 on rural roads with few traffic lights; some highway ~70mph, some city. Currently have snows on, and it gets 30-32. Same mileage on trips, 70-75mph.

This is slightly off topic, but I find the engine works better with Shell than other, non top-tier gasolines (for more info google "top tier gasoline"). It had started to feel sluggish last December and the mpg was down a bit. I filled up w/ Shell before a 400 mile trip, and by the time I reached my destination, the car was back to its old self.

David
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I haven't seen many posts reporting 35 MPG highway. Also, since my Integra gets 5-6 MPG over the EPA estimate, shouldn't it be plausible to get close to 40 MPG in a new Accord, with an EPA rating of 34 MPG?

It is very plausible; in fact, I recently achieved 40 (39.96 if you nitpick like me) miles per gallon in my father's 2005 Accord EX-4-cyl. The lowest mileage I ever get in my 2006 Accord EX-4 cyl is 28ish (mostly in-town, with a few 25 miles interstate stints mixed in). On the last two trips I have taken, I average 80 MPH; one trip returned me 36.43 MPG (my BRAND NEW car wasn't much broken in) and my dad's 2005 which got me the 40 MPG (it has 40,000 miles and is loosened up).

If you can get 6 MPG over in that old Integra, you can surely do it in one of these Accords. The best I have ever gotten in my 1996 Accord is 33 MPG (EPA lists 23/31 for it), or 2 MPG over hwy estimate.
    remember, the Accord is much bigger/heavier, with a larger engine. A civic is much closer in concept to an old Integra, and will likely get you more MPG than you are used to.

Even so, the Accord gets very good MPG given the room, features, power, comfort, etc.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• A while back I had posted that I was only getting about 25 mpg on freeway driving that is more like city driving (southern California). Some of you reassured me that I was getting appropriate mileage for the type of conditions that I was driving in.

Last weekend I drove from a suburb north of Los Angeles to San Diego and back. I was not able to use cruise control and drove at speeds ranging from 75 to 85 mph, mostly averaging 80 mph. I was able to get 30 mpg on that trip and although it is not as high as some other drivers are getting, I was quite happy with that.
    I'm glad your mileage is improving, albeit slowly. Stand by, it will likely continue to improve.
    leaving this afternoon. I won't be driving, but Dad will, in his 2005 EX 4 cyl Auto. I'll report on mileage and conditions when we get back. Maybe he can settle down and get 34+ MPGs instead of going 85 MPH-90MPH.
    '05 EX-L 5 speed, now with 2,500 miles on it. Got 25.25 on the latest fill, up from 24.5ish on the last 2.

This is all local around town stuff, no highway trips. If anything, this tank had even less short highway trips.

So, seems to be settling into a nice 25ish range around town. I will take a road trip in a few weeks. Hoping to push 35 on that one!

• ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ......So, seems to be settling into a nice 25ish range around town. I will take a road trip in a few weeks. Hoping to push 35 on that one!

...stick:

...with the 6M: 25-27 around the state capital...

...on I-5: wide range: 30 - 38. (speed/wind/heat factor) ..

..unless you're Roger Rocket, your I4 should easy surpass my numbers............

best, ez..
  • Auto trans., constant short trip rural driving. I drive 11 miles to my high school and back every day, along with a few trips to town a week. Roads are curve filled and hilly. I am a leadfoot, jackrabbit starts are my specialty :shades: . I usually get in the range of 23-25 m.p.g. with my style of driving. I can't say im thrilled, but i love my car anyways :) . Hey, anyone else having problems with an incorrectly reading fuel gauge? i can go about 250 miles until it reads empty and only put 10 gallons in it until it says full. I know it's a 17 gallon tank, so what's up? :confuse: any suggestions or experiences would be nice. thanks ya'll. ;)
    Sat for an hour in traffic on the way down before being able to go 80ish. Got 31 MPG on the way down. ON the way home we averaged 84MPH or so and got 34 MPG on the nose (336 miles on 9.8 gallons).
    I filled up my 7th tank of gas and my mpg's are holding steady at 26 mpg. So far this is about 3 mpg more than my previous Infiniti I35, and on regular rather than premium that I had to use before. Very happy so far. I'll be going on a trip in a couple of weeks, so I'm curious to see what mileage I will get on the open road. :shades:
    Is just because of the type of driving I usually do. Most trips are probably less than 4 miles, many are 1-2, lots of lights/stops putting around town, cold starts, all the things that tank mileage. I did get 28 one tank where I actually managed to take a few short trips (maybe 15-20 miles on a highway). If I lived in a more rural area, or drove longer steady-state distances, I would get better.

I pulled over 33 on a trip to Va, with 4 people and lots of stuff, that included some local driving, so I know it will get better mpg if I let it stretch it's legs.