Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta 2.5 vs. Volvo S40

2»

Comments

• The s40's styling is by Peter Horbury, the same designer that designed the s80, v70, xc90, and s60--and its relation to the s80 is very obvious. Some of the interior design is based on Volvo's concept wagon from a few years ago. This idea that Ford has anything to do with Volvo's styling is a falicious one.
  • I'm looking to purchase a new car but on a budget of about $10k-13k since I'm still a poor college student. I'm looking for a foreign car as I am sick of my current American made car. I've been looking at 02-05 VW Jetta/Passat, 00-04 Volvo S40/S60/S80, 02-04Honda Civic/Accord. I'm leaning more towards a Jetta or any of the Volvos, but I've seen lots of complaints with maintenance problems which is something I don't have time to deal with. Which one do you think would be a better buy for me? Any other suggestions of cars to look at? Thanks.
  • blumsteinblumstein Posts: 38
    Take a look at a new Toyota Yaris. My daughter's BF got one and absolutely loves it. I think it is a little over your budget, but not much. Other option is a Ford Focus, used. Yes, it is American made but we got 140k trouble-free miles until the tranny started acting funny & we traded it in on the S40.
    Paul
  • I've loved my 2001 Jetta 1.8T. It's been a great car (even with the few (and anticipated based on reading online) minor mechanical/electrical issues I've had) and I think I would do it all over again if I had the choice. What was NOT fun has been my dealership experience (here in the Saint Louis area). I've been to 3 different dealerships and experienced incompetence, poor workmanship and more recently just downright rudeness/abuse. It's been horribly disappointing.

I felt often times like I bought a $12K car instead of a $24K car. I can't imagine buying a $100K Phaeton and getting that kind of treatment.

That said I will NOT be buying another VW. I can't handle the visits to the dealership no matter how much I enjoy the vehicle. The customer service is that bad

And for the price being paid the reliability/build quality needs to be improved. This coupled with yawn-filled external stying on the new VW Corolla err... Jetta means I'm looking at options... and the S40 is on the list of considerations.

I don't think the S40 is perfect despite it's hot styling, I think the Jetta with it's 2.0T/good-handling and a nice interior finish might outdo it in these categories but then I'm back having to face the VW dealerships. Not an option.

Also, it's hard to configure an Audi A4 or a BMW 3 series with the features I can pile on the Volvo or VW and avoid reaching $40K. But what other options are out there really for someone looking in this segment of small luxury sport sedans who are looking in the low $30K and not the $40K?
  • In my personal opinion I would choose the S40. This is due to the fact that I live in Colorado and there is an S40 AWD and it is a better looking car. VW customer satisfaction is at the bottom while Volvo is around the Top 10. I prefer the Belgian built S40 than the Jetta bui;t in Mexico.
  • amic10amic10 Posts: 1
    My dad is buying me my first car. I have the options of a 2002 Volvo S60 2.4M 4-door Sedan and a 2005 Volkswagen GL 2.0L PZEV 4-door Sedan. They are both priced at $6,995. The Volvo has 106,087 miles on it and the Jetta has 96,778 miles on it. I am having trouble which one to decide on. I want to pick a car that is good on gas and doesn't cost a lot to maintain since I am a college student. HELPPP!!!!
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    Our Help Me Choose discussion is much more active, so you might want to post there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

2»