Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    LOL

If paying that much, why not get a real SUV with a lower frequency of repair, and the luxury Americans want :confuse:

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tribeca's rear seat slides 8" fore and aft.

Most magazines made a mistake when they measured rear legroom, because you have to hit a release knob to move the 2nd row back all the way. It's about a 4" difference.

Some mags even had pics and you could see the gap between the 2nd and 3rd rows. When the 2nd row is all the way back there is no gap.

In that position, there is abundant 2nd row leg room.

I had no problem in any row except the 3rd, obviously.

-juice
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I agree, Juice, and simply hate all the wasted "air" of people talking about that alleged "3rd Row" in most vehicles.

90% of third rows are good for nothing other than small kids and pets. So unless there is some reason you have non-family members constantly in your car, or you have more than 3 kids, it's a waste. My wife didn't like the kids that far back, and always had them in the 2nd row.

Outside of the Mercedes, Escalade, Navigator world, I have yet to see a really functional third row on any vehicle in years.
    I can see the value they'd offer, because my kids are 4 and 7.

Just yesterday we drove my 7 year old's friend home, and have to rearrange all the booster seats. She'd be fine in the 3rd row (it's sized about right) for that 2 mile or so trip.

I'd probably use it once a week, i.e. not often enough to buy a minivan but enough that I'd find it useful.

-juice
  • glendowerglendower Member Posts: 32
    "Get a Range Rover. The 2007's look awesome and they have made great interior enhancements."

Perhaps Range Rover should invest in "enhancing" reliability, not interiors.

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/10-08-06_14
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Outside of the Mercedes, Escalade, Navigator world, I have yet to see a really functional third row on any vehicle in years.

The 3rd row of my 2yr old Ford Freestyle has 33" legroom and 38" of headroom in the 3rd row (about the same legroom as the back seat of a Honda Civic, and the same headroom as an Accord in the back seat) and that's with the 2nd row at 40" of legroom. But the Freestyle isn't an SUV and can't tow much.

The new Saturn Outlook and Buick Acadia are also 3row CUVs coming out with adult. You can go to the Outlook forum and hear all sort of bragging about how good they are.
    Freestyle does have good packaging. It's shorter than a Caddy SRX but much, much roomier inside.

Pacifica might also have a 3rd row fit for adults, though I haven't tried one in a while.

-juice
  • outjetoutjet Member Posts: 1
    Buy a Range Rover?? I don't think so...

• justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Wow, that's 1.4 to 4.4 problems per vehicle. I guess when there is a million things that can go wrong, you're really lucky if they all go right.
  • suvgirl1suvgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    I have never owned a Nissan but really like the design and ride of the 07 Murano. I am a person that holds on to her car for many yrs (13yrs) and find reliability more of a factor in my purchase than trade in value. I am currently also considering the Pilot but feel it offers a totally different driving experience (truck like) vs the Murano. I also find the interior of the Murano more appealing. The Murano will cost me more $$$ but I just want to make sure the reliability is going to be there (CVT Transmission). I am a little annoyed that I have to pay extra for the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) option. Stability control is included on the Pilot no matter what the trim level. Everything I read says you should not purchase a new car without this as it increases the safety. I have been out to the dealer and have wittled down my purchase price to on an 07 SL AWD to 32,480 without tax. I really like this car but just want to make sure I have no regrets. I saw they are offering a $1000 rebate on 06 models. I am also wondering if it is worth it to invest or negotiate an extended warranty
    :confuse: image
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Yes- you're right, get the stability control. Definately a terrific safety option.

Just to throw in the other option, for $32,500, you could get a Tribeca 7pass, limited with Nav. (that's what they're going for these days- about $2K or more under invoice). A vehicle with an MSRP of near $38K. It's got the best safety ratings of any of them, a better AWD system, back-up camera, nice quality leather, very cool interior, better ride, great handling etc. The exterior of the Murano is a bit better looking. The Pilot looks like a box. I like the Tribeca.
    You should definitely purchase the vehicle that you are passionate about. You don't want to look at those sleek Muranos through the window of your practical Pilot. I just experimented with the Stability Control in my 07 Pilot out in a snow covered ski resort parking lot. It works really well when you are trying to go-go-go, the car would not spin-out, but the anti-lock brakes are what help when you are trying to stop. I had a blast when I turned the SVA off. The fun version of snow drift.
    Thanks for your response avgjoe. I do feel that my passion is with the Murano. The practical side of me leans more towards the reliability and standard safety features of the Pilot. I just don't want to get caught up in the excitment of making a new car purchase and disregard those factors or have to pay a premium to get them on the Murano. Thanks for your support ;)
    Certainly- go with your passion. But- had I gone with my passion, I'd own a Touareg right now. And- a year from now I'd be cursing the gas mileage, $800 brake jobs, $100 oil changes and $1400 on tires every 20,000 miles (or less).

The Tribeca I own is proving to be even more of a vehicle than I had dreamed it would be. So- you can fall in love with practicality- as long as it tickels your fancy enough.
    We just went through the same decision when replacing our 2000 Odyssey: Pilot vs. Murano. For all the reasons cited above--ride (very firm), handling, style (both interior and exterior), seating space in the first two rows, etc., we bought the Murano. With VDC.

Yes, it cost a bit more, but we love it. I wouldn't even say the Pilot drove like a truck. It just floated along, more like what I'd guess it's like driving a bus. The Murano--as one Car and Driver writer put it--is the 350Z of sport-utes. For a vehicle with the Murano's height, it handles amazingly. It's now in it's fifth year of production, so it's likely the bugs have been worked out. The CVT is very smooth. Highway mileage appears to be better than my neighbor's Pilot. By the way, the back-up camera available on all SL and SE Muranos, with or without navigation, is wonderful. Go for it. You should be able to get one at invoice.
  • dorroydorroy Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of purchasing an suv. I've looked at Subaru Tribeca and Nissan Murano. I currently own an Outback limited wagon. I'm looking for an suv great in the snow and reliable. Some vehicles I just don't feel secure in during winter months. I've owned a jeep cherokee and that is a vehicle I felt secure in during winter months it just felt solid in snow. I'm really considering the Nissan Murano SE, touring. What do you think?
    beween the two- the Tribeca's VTD AWD system is superior to the Murano's and will give you a much more secure feeling. It can (and will) transfer 100% of the torque to either the front or rear axel, and control each axel with traction control- so as long as you've got even a single wheel with traction, you're pulling. Murano won't do that. It also has an extra 1.5" of ground clearance over the Murano. The 'beca also has superior crash test safety ratings and is a IIHS best pick/gold award.

Granted-the external styling of the Murano is a bit nicer than the Beca, but I think the Subaru blows away Nissan on the interior. Performance wise they are similar, and the Tribeca has quite a bit more rear cargo room, as well as available 7 passenger seating, that doesn't use up any of the cargo room when seats are folded down. (nice).

Snow tires, of course, will improve the grip even more. The stock tires aren't terrible, but it's the Subaru AWD system that makes them seem better then they are.
    The Tribeca interior is much smaller in the front two rows, because of the need to squeeze in the third row seats. The swoopy Tribeca center console badly eats into leg and knee room in the front row. What appears to be silver-metallic trim in the Subaru is really just cheap painted plastic, whereas the Murano has real aluminum trim everywhere. The Murano gets better gas mileage and has a bigger tank, so you spend less time looking for gas stations. The Murano has superior build quality, in my opinion. As Automobile Magazine said, controls on the Tribeca are "tedious and difficult to adjust, and they felt cheap." Chrome finish on an outside handle of their test vehicle already had a blistered finish. Tribeca offers third row seating if that's important to you, but it will only accommodate children. Unless you slide the second row seats forward, there is literally no legroom at all in the third row, and sliding the second row forward compromises further second row legroom.

Automobile also said the Tribeca engine has "weak low-end torque." They went on to say "the transmission is frequently unsure of itself, especially during kickdown exercises in normal (not sport) mode" and "downshifts are inconsistent in speed and force, and the kickdowns are often too abrupt in relation to throttle position." Murano's CVT is smooth as butter. Car and Driver, on the other hand, described the Murano as "the 350Z of sport-utes." Murano SL and SE models come with standard rear-view camera.

If snow is your number one concern, the Subaru has a slightly superior AWD system. Otherwise, the Murano is a better drive.
    I never noticed the size difference in the front- but I'm 5'7" 135 lbs. My legs and knees have plenty of room- but if you come from the large people gene pool- this could be an important consideration. My 5'2" wife said the 3rd row seat was fine- and I love the feature of a sliding second row. It must suck being a big person. I have no idea how you fit in airline seats. It's no Suburban- but a nice compromise.

Granted- the interior of the Tribeca doesn't compare to the quality level of a Touareg, but the design is striking, whereas I find the Murano blocky. Granted- this is all subjective.

The Murano has a better 'sports' car feel, but the Tribeca did just as well in the slalom and better in the stopping tests from major magazines. Off road- the tribeca eats up the terrain, while the murano knocks your fillings loose. The Murano has slightly better mileage, but it smaller and lighter- so that makes sense.
    Sorry, but your post seems biased to me. You're very negative about the Tribeca, even on things most people seem to like.

I bet you didn't hit the release knob that lets the Tribeca's 2nd row move back another 4". There is plenty of leg room in the 2nd row, or at least 4" more than you think.

Real aluminum in the Murano? Well, if so, keep in mind aluminum dents if you hit a brief case up against it. There are times when plastic is better, and any interior surface that will get abuse is probably better off with a plastic.

I have aluminum siding on my house - sadly it's dented all over the place.

Mileage is about the same, no significant difference there, and the Tribeca is bigger so the tiny difference is justified.

The great majority of the press loved the Tribeca's interior. You went out and found one single exception, which is just that, an exception.

C&D called it "plush" and said the "controls are simple and self-evident".

Road & Track said the "interior has a high-tech style that's a breath of fresh air".

New Car Test Drive wrote "The Subaru Tribeca's interior is a stunning styling statement. Visually, and ergonomically, it's a delight. It's been a long time since we've felt so immediately comfortable climbing into a new car for the first time".

LA Times wrote "As surprising as the exterior is, the interior is a shock. It's gorgeous".

Forbes said "The cockpit is modern and clean" and "From a style standpoint, the interior is of a much higher grade than you'd find in a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander".

Just keep in mind all of those are in *sharp* contrast to your opinion of the Tribeca.

-juice

PS Didn't Automobile pick the Chevrolet Caprice COTY when it came out?
    "Sorry, but your post seems biased to me. You're very negative about the Tribeca, even on things most people seem to like."

Seems to me like yours is even more so. As was the one above mine, which is what prompted mine. Look, in typical Subaru fashion (and I owned an SVX) the Tribeca interior may look good but it is CHEAPLY-MADE. Sorry if you can't see that.

The Murano is now in the fifth year of its model cycle with no need for incentives on 2007s. Subaru is now offering $1250 rebates on 2007 Tribecas, and it was introduced just one year ago. What does that tell you?

Oh, morey000, recent research shows tall people are smarter and earn more money, so being tall is not a problem at all. Maybe that's why we buy Muranos. ;)
    "...tall people are smarter and earn more money,..."

No evidence of that shown here. :P
  • ftr_30022ftr_30022 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 2007 Nissan Murano SL. I am planning to keep this vehicle for some time (10 years or even longer). The dealer quoted me $1600 on a "Security Plus, Gold Preferred" 84 months/100K miles warranty. I drive about 12-15K miles a year, 95% on highways commuting to work in light traffic. I greatly appreciate your input on the following questions: Should I buy the extended warranty? If yes, should I buy it now, or 3 years from now when the factory warranty has expired? And, how much more would that be? Thank you very much!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Extended Warranties discussion too. And you may want to skim through the recent posts over in Nissan Murano: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

I was just checking my spreadsheet on my '99 Quest fwiw - I've spend over $2,500 on maintenance and repair over 115,000 miles. A little over $1,000 of that was for tires. The rest was normal dealer service and oil/filter changes, a few bulbs and a battery. The only "repair" not covered under warranty or recall was a busted CV-joint. I replaced it and the axle for $169 (had free labor helping me).

Parts are expensive to fix when they break, but the drivetrain warranty is 5/60 for the Murano, so you really are paying for a two year extension. The other stuff would fall under the basic 3/36 warranty, so the question is how much sleep are you going to lose worrying about the A/C or rear view camera going on the blink if you decide to gamble and pick up the tab yourself.

You'll find plenty of posts where an extended warranty has saved someone big bucks. Some of us would rather keep the money somewhere earning interest and take our chances on repair bills.
    Last time I checked Automotive News there were cut-rate finance rates on the Murano, which is very much an incentive.

You also seem to forget Carlos Ghosn's nickname: "le cost cutter". He's famous for it, and there's evidence in the Murano's interior, too (less obvious than it was a couple of years ago).

I love how you conveniently ignored the heaps of praise from the press I just quoted, more evidence of bias.

-juice
  • dbr3nnandbr3nnan Member Posts: 14
    Test drove all 3 extensively. CX-7 is really good looking but a bit small inside, especially the back seat. Murano, also a good looking vehicle, has the most options and has an established track record. However, we settled on the 07 Tribeca because of the safety aspects and, quite frankly, my wife thought it had the best ride. I'm less sensitive and thought all 3 were fine. The findings from the IIHS were the icing on the cake. We get about 21-22 mpg, which isn't great but much better than my Xterra was getting. So we're happy with the Tribeca, but would have also been happy w/ the Murano. And as long as I'm in the front seat, I'd be okay w/ the CX-7.

Most dealerships will let you take a vehicle home overnight without committing to a sale, so if you're agonizing over which one to pick see if they'll let you do that.
    Congrats.

The Saturn dealer offered to let me take an Outlook home for the whole weekend. It's huge and roomy, but poor visibility and an uncomfy 2nd row made me rule it out.

-juice
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I could care less what the rags say about the Tribeca interior. It felt cheap, and plastic to me. The switch gear felt like it was one turn away from breaking off in my hand.
    Then why did you quote a car rag, given you don't care? ;)

I was merely responding to the trend that *you* started. So Motor Trend is important, and all the ones I mentioned aren't, eh?

Double standard much?

Face it, the Murano's interior looks dated next to the Tribeca's. I'm sure Nissan slapped on some aluminum when Ghosn decided that would cost less than redesigning it to give it some flow.

Noone knows cheap like Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn. He is the best in the entire automotive industry.

-juice
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    they are both cheap. Did I quote a car mag? I had no idea.

Difference is, Subaru was "trying" to move up market with the Tribeca, and decided that cheap switch gear was a step in the right direction.
    How does the Outlook from Saturn compare vs. these guys?
    With some 35 "crossovers" there's a lot of comparing to do. Check out this new discussion too:

Compare the CX-9, Veracruz, Pilot, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave and Freestyle
    Let's agree to disagree, I just didn't find the switch gear cheap at all. And it hasn't been a problem area for owners, either.

The only complaints that are common are fragile fog light covers and hatch struts that would not hold up the hatch in extreme cold. Lens covers have been replaced under warranty and the hatch strut design was revised completely. As usual for Subarus they've proven extremely reliable.

I didn't like the strategy of them trying to move upmarket, so that's one issue we agree with. Still, I hop inside a Tribeca and I feel richer than I am.

-juice
  • eaglepiloteaglepilot Member Posts: 19
    Just thought I would weigh in on a couple of points about the Tribeca, which I test-drove last weekend: I am 6'3", and the interior seemed totally unworkable. I fit (barely) in the front seats, but the second row, no way... and the third should not even be called seating.

I also completely agree about the feel of the switches and gauges -- very cheap. And the styling? Well, if you're into sci-fi it's great, I guess.

Chris
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    The second row in a 3 row tribeca has a 2 lever system for sliding backward so as to not hurt 3'rd row seat legs. Most people aren't aware of this second lever and as a result don't put the second seat back as far as it can go. With this second lever you can get more than enough rear seat room in the second row. The third row is for kids or emergency/forget the comfort situations.

The interior of the tribeca is actually very user friendly. It really needs a telescopic steering wheel though. Like most things that deviate from the established norm....some hate it and some love it.
    That's interesting. My salesman didn't mention that, but the second row was pressed back against the third, so I assume it was all the way back.

I should have added that the colors and the leather in the Tribeca were very nice.

Chris
  • nycb9nycb9 Member Posts: 30
    Well, I'm 6'1" and the driver's seat all the way back is too far back for me...plenty of room. I have a friend who is also 6'1" but he's a big boy at 280 lbs. and was blown away by the amount of room in the 2nd row seat. My kids LOVE hanging out in the third row. I really don't know what's "cheap" about the switch feel. I'd like to know in particular exactly which switches people have a problem with. The quality/feel of this vehicle is very top notch. Believe me, I know as I work in the automotive manufacturing industry. I did LOTS of research before buying this vehicle and after a year and 10,000 miles, it continues to impress me (did I mention that I work in the automotive manufactruing industry?). I've seen what other "upscale" mfrs are OVERCHARGING for (Japanese and German) and I've seen the crap (US brands...sorry!) and the Tribeca outshines them all in bang for the buck, form, fit and function. Yes, I'm disappointed that there was no memory seat option and they should have put the AUX audio jack up front in the '06 but that's about it. And yes, the interior is very sci-fi...COOL! I feel like I'm on the Enterprise...what's not to like? I also love the exterior.

Yes, different strokes for different folks, but this vehicle takes too much bashing, especially from people who sit in it for a few minutes in showroom.

YMMV...Joe
    Also note that the 07 models fixed a lot of these gripes. I believe it has memory seats, the aux input jack, and even a telescoping wheels (or was that the Outback that got it?).

-juice
    "...but the second row was pressed back against the third, so I assume it was all the way back."

My experience trying Tribeca on for size as well. Maybe Subaru has telescoping seats instead of a telescoping steering wheel, or there's a magic, hard-to-find "third" lever that makes the third seat disappear.

Face it. Seating in the first two rows is tight, and made worse by the swoopy center console that sits where the driver's right knee ought to go. Saying otherwise is misleading to others here.
  • nycb9nycb9 Member Posts: 30
    "...My experience trying Tribeca ..."

As you said, "trying". Are you 6'1" or over and have you been driving it for a year? I don't have the driver's seat pushed all the way back and my knee has never hit the center console. And adults that sit behind me don't complain about the legroom.

Without real world (not showroom) experience, "saying otherwise is misleading to others here."
    It's a bit hard to generalize too, since some six footers have (relatively) short legs and long torsos, and vice versa.

Or maybe you're like me and like driving with your left leg flat-footed, and you wind up hitting part of the door with your knee all the time in some cars (that bugs me in my Outback). My dead pedal is pristine. ;)

You really do need to try them in the real world and sometimes it takes a couple of days to realize that you don't fit well in some seats.
    I had a loaner for about a week, and we found it very comfy. I'm 6', for reference, size 11 shoes. The center console wasn't intrusive.

I do think the parking brake could be in a better position, it's too close to the dead pedal. But I can see why they did that - more free space in the center console.

Went to the auto show yesterday here in DC and tried it on for size again. Some comments:

* move the 2nd row back 8" and there is plenty of leg room, even for a 6 footer to sit behind a 6 footer.

* there is foot space under the front seats, too. But only for two, due to the center hump

* the rear center seat is actually more comfy than most because the seat is 40/20/40 rather than just 40/60. Basically there is a seperate back rest, plus it folds independently for long items + 2 people in the back seat, a very unique feature.

I can see people complaining about the small 3rd row, but you can comfortably seat 5 adults unless they are 5 tall basketball players.

-juice
    FWIW, I'm 6'4", 225 w/ size 13's. So certainly on the big side.

But I don't buy the "you get used to it" argument. If the space bugs you on a test drive, it will definitely bug you later.

Chris
    Agreed.

I took my whole family to the Auto Show for what I called a "Test Fit". We sat in each candidate and each person gave it a pass/fail grade.

You have trouble finding shoes? :D

-juice
    "But I don't buy the "you get used to it" argument. If the space bugs you on a test drive, it will definitely bug you later."

Exactly right. If you're uncomfortable after fifteen seconds, it's not going to get better after several hours.

Oh, I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I can drive the Murano comfortably with the front seat at least three inches from its full rearmost position. I can sit behind myself easily. There's a huge difference in interior space in the first two rows of the Murano vs. the Tribeca. Believe it. And don't tell me about any more "levers" that will make it all go away.
    The likelihood of having someone 6'5" sit behind you is probably about zero.

OK, I'm rounding a bit here, but it just never happens.

-juice
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    This is a great board. I narrowed my search down to a yr 03 Highlander and Pilot. I test drove both vehicles and decided on a used 03 Limited AWD 6 cyl. Highlander:
    -A bit cheaper than a comparable Pilot
    -The 03 Pilot was the first year of the redesign. I bought a 95.5 Tacoma and there were lot's of issues - first year first grade
    -Reliability of Toyota's AWD
    -Gas milieage is a bit better in the Highlander
    -Highlander felt more solid than the Pilot
    "The likelihood of having someone 6'5" sit behind you is probably about zero."

Which, of course, is not the point at all. The point is: The Murano has much more room in the first and second rows. So, unless you need third row seating for someone with no legs, it's a more comfortable alternative.

Oh, my brother is 6'4". His older son is 6'4". His second son will be as tall in two or three years. Bro's daughter is 6'2". One of them might sit behind me on occasion. Size matters.
    Any more than you need is just wasted space.

Subaru's layout allows you to slide it forward 8" to maximize cargo space. I'll argue here that many, many more families have kids in that back seat anyway. So it's a lot more versatile.

In a situation like yours, most people tend to take 2 cars.

In the situation I describe, i.e. 2 kids, well that's how a family transports itself daily.

So the Murano accomodates those 4 tall adults on the rare occasion that you need it (say once a year, realistically), while the Tribeca accomodates a family of 4 the other 364 days of the year, plus a lot more cargo, plus the option for your kids to take along 2 friends under the age of 10.

Score: Murano 1, Tribeca 364.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.