Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm gonna defend aviboy97 on this one...he works closely with many Mazdas and has insider access to information you and I simply don't have. He's more than qualified to share useful info with Edmunds members.
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but am about to purchase a 2008 Tribeca 5 Pas/Limited. Now I am really torn about getting the black exterior with beige interior or the diamond gray exterior with gray interior. I wanted black on black but obviously that's not possible. The beige interior is much nicer in person and I always wanted a black SUV. But people keep telling me to stay away from black cars cause they're so dam hard to keep clean. Has anyone that had a black car share some insight to this. Now the diamond gray color is also gorgeous on the outside. You guys let me know which one you like better. Thanks.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    YLZ, welcome to the forum! Just an FYI, you've been cross-posting (posting the same message in multiple categories) which is generally frowned upon. Just find one category that's appropriate to your topic and stick with that one. That makes browsing quicker and easier for everyone (so we don't have to read your post several times :-) )

As for the color choice, darker exterior is always harder to keep clean, but does look cool. And although the beige interior is a really classy look, I opted for the grey cuz I thought it was sportier. (Also, my last two cars had beige and I was tired of it).

Best wishes!

-Karen in AZ-
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Just find one category that's appropriate to your topic and stick with that one.

Excellent advice - thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Hey...I am a Toyota fan, but I can tell you that the Black Avalon I had was sharp, but one of the reasons I traded was the color. Black is not only hard to keep looking great, but it also shows every little scratch and swirl mark.
    It also absorbs lots of heat if you have it out alot in the sun. Black is a sharp color if you want to go to an extreme work -out to keep it clean.
    Best of luck on your color!

Ronn
    To add to the comparisons, not much has been said here about the Highlander 08 In a recent snow Ice event, it did a beautiful job on the road. Highlander has one of the highest reviews posted, with excellent reviews about this great SUV.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Where was that review published?
    Hey Lucky, What I meant was the Number of reviews by folks that own them...73 reviews currently with a 9.3 .
    I hope Edmunds will review the Highlander 08 soon! It is a great SUV. I had friends with me today for the first time, and they said it was one of the best they had been in...quiet, smooth. They were very surprised, and loved the looks.
    I drove a Tribeca, but found the Highlander to have more room inside, and I prefer the looks of the Highlander better. IMO the Toyotas have a better fit & finish that's why I have owned many!
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    Wow. The front end isn't bad, but the new Pilot is one plain basic looking CUV.

There I was looking at photos of the new Pilot, and next to it was an ad for the Enclave. The Enclave has more beauty and style in it's tail light trim than the Pilot has in the whole vehicle. But, design is subjective. For instance, I love the look of my '07 Tribeca, which was certainly panned by many.

just my $0.02.

The Buick Enclave is a remarkably beautiful vehicle. Never driven one, but they sure are puurty.
    I agree with you on the looks of the Pilot. I love the looks of my Highlander 08 much better!
    While the Enclave is sharp looking, they are having problems. Check out their Forum section. There are some un-happy folks with it.
    Did you see the new Pilot concept at NAIAS?

You might miss the boring old design. The new one is hideous.
  • I am just starting my SUV search and am interested in the 08 Highlander, 09 Murano, and 08 Pilot. I have never owned an SUV, so am not sure which would be the best option for a "first timer." I have read reviews and see that most people love the 08 Highlander. I love the look of that and the new Murano, but see that the Murano has very limited interior storage space and some major blind spots. I'm not quite sold on the Pilot, and am really just considering it because I know Honda makes great vehicles and it's relatively reasonably priced. Does anyone have any advice? Or suggestions on comparable SUV's that I should consider? I would also be interested in finding out how much people have paid for these vehicles in the NJ area. Thanks!
    Since you seem to be just getting started, my suggestion would be to go to the Philadelphia auto show, which starts this week.

There you can sample them all back to back, without any pressure from salesmen.

Test fit each one, see how seat comfort is, check out cargo room, visibility, etc. Take your time doing so.

Narrow it down to your top few choices, then test drive those.

Sample the Tribeca and the Veracruz while you're at it, both have nice interiors.
    Pardon my long delay in finding a source, but I finally found the video that shows that the VDC AWD system used by Subaru can send enough power to any single wheel to keep it moving up a ramp in simulated no-traction scenarios:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09ExAUgtyE&feature=related

Pretty amazing at any price point, even more so at Subaru's prices.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Nice find, juice. Chelentano won't accept it, though, since it's not from a neutral source. Consumer Reports should set up this test to evaluate manufacturers' claims and systems... it's not a complicated or cost-prohibitive experiment.
    There are better off road vehicles out there than a tribeca, but not among the CUV class. I wouldn't put my 'Beca up against an FJ Cruiser, H3 or even a Jeep Grand Cherokee. But, I've gone up some 4WD roads with it and have been very very impressed with the Tribeca's capabilities-even with the mediocre stock tires.

If better off road traction is what you're looking for, the Subie's certainly have an advantage.
    Well, if you watch it, ignore the marketing schpeal they dole out. I don't even necessarily agree with the reasons they some fail and some succeed (symmetry? huh?).

And they could have rigged the test for the competitors to fail. For example: that performed like a FWD CR-V, LOL. :D

But...what it does prove is that even a basic Forester X, priced under $20 grand, has a good enough AWD system to distribute enough power between front and rear axles to pass the front-to-rear test.

The VDC system goes a step further and can send enough power side-to-side, to any given wheel.

They can't rig that test. VDC makes it up, clear as day.

So rather than wait for a rebuttle, instead I'll challenge Mitsubishi fans to show me an Outlander (or Endeavor) that can make it up one of those ramps. The proof is in the pudding.

Remember, despite all the acronyms, C&D rated it in last place among compact crossovers in the off road portion of the test. So simple challenge - prove them wrong.
  • Still you did not show any evidence to support your claim that Subaru AWD system would be capable of "100% power transfer to either axle".

You post another Subaru marketing video and you call it a "proof"? I can’t even see if that CR-V has rear wheels spinning: it could be very well a 2WD version of CR-V. There are so many other ways to stage that “test”. Not just me, but a lot of people on Youtube doubt the authenticity of that video. The last party I would trust is a car salesman.

But if you like marketing videos, I have got some.

Lancer AWD vs. Lamborghini AWD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWQDWXviuFM

Mitsubishi Pajero AWD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMjhzv_zzE

Two Outlander videos in snow. If you ever driven a car in a heavy snow, you could tell that this Outlander AWD performance is impressive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3arUMr2PsI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJt0j38JJBA&feature=related
    Chelentano,
    Sure- marketing videos may be biased to favor their brand. But I don't buy your accusation that the whole thing was rigged. (by using a 2WD CRV)

I've taken my Tribeca on some reasonably hairy 4WD roads and have been quite impressed.

If that video isn't significant evidence that Subaru's symmetrical AWD VTD system doesn't transfer 100% of its power to a single wheel- I don't know what is. But, regardless, the Tribeca is pretty dang good off road. Just ask anyone who's ever take one there.