Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Only because you still have a new warranty and don't have to come up with another down payment so soon.

But I generally purchase out right so I'm not a good person to ask. :-)

-juice
  • wdaveo1wdaveo1 Posts: 34
    Yep, that makes sense. Thanks,

Dawn
  • gwilsongwilson Posts: 46
    I am 6'5" and have no problems in the Tribeca with either leg room or head room in the driver's or passenger front seats... Second row was even comfortable if seat is adjust back some decreasing third row leg room. Didn't try the third row - afraid I couldn't get out once in... :-)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Browse around Lease Questions - Ask Here too.

Steve, Host
  • kflkfl Posts: 22
    Long weekend...thanks for the thoughts on the comparisons. I went and test drove the Tribeca again after reading the reviews in cars.com, Car and Driver, Motortrend.. The dealer was trying to do everything to get me to make a deal on Saturday, but I am still on the fence, even offered me his 7-seater loaded with navigation, etc. for the price of the 5 seater ltd....also drove a 2003 RX300 and is it just the aura of driving this vehicle and saying you own one. You re correct about the CVT transmission. Very smooth. I can actually pick up an 04 SL with the Touring package right now for about $28,100 and 4.99 financing. Not a bad deal. I had heard of any special financing options on the B9.

I thought I had read that DRL was to be standard on all vehicles, as a safety feature.

Still investigating.
  • Have you folks ever considered the Highlander?

What do you think about that vehicle?

Thank you,
    Driving Mom :)
    This is a smart strategy. Wait a week or two, then ask yourself which one you miss driving, which one you remember best.

That's your choice.

-juice
  • tigger5753tigger5753 Posts: 40
    In Canada, DRL's are standard for all vehicles, but not so in US. Canadian Murano's have their fog lights on at all times. If safety is an issue, the Murano and RX are 4-5 star rated for crashworthiness; not sure about the B9, but it should be similar?? The Murano does have side curtain airbags that cover front and rear passengers, and a rollover sensor.
    yes...I have. I know a lot of people compare the Lexus (as being more expensive) with the Highlander.....but a Lexus is still a Lexus.

The Highlander is very nice, but the options add up fast, as they do in many Toyota products.

The Nissan Murano and Subaru B9 have many of the same options included in the vehicle as standard. Adding it all up, the Highlander with comparative bells and whistles can be more expensive.
    ...as does the Tribeca. It has side curtain air bags and the front is designed with a pillar effect.

I did not have trouble seeing out of the back of B9, a little in the Murano and RX, would have to totally lower or remove the headrests.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    I have been looking at all the SUV's that are possible comparisons to the Tribeca. Especially the Lexus RX 330, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and Nissan Murano as they are the top recommended midsize suv's according to consumer reports which i trust because it does full testing of everything including reliability and is unbiased by advertisements etc.

Bottom line for me is like others I find the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander bland, boring, plain and other adjectives that others have said similiar. They just dont do anything for me and have small tires etc. etc. Believe it or not the MDX which is a Pilot with an A on it is much lower down on consumer reports but I still considered it and even the looks on that are just not that great and it has some definite lows like braking and others according to consumer reports.

The Rx330 is the #1 rated midsize suv and i would maybe consider it but its pricey and my mom had one and now has the Hybrid version which is like 50,000 so thats out of question and just not for me. The Highlander Hybrid is still the same plain boring Highlander but with better gas mileage and i guess performance as well but it ends up being more then the tribeca and again its still the same looking plain Highlander.

This leaves the Nissan Murano and its luxury counterpart the Infiniti FX. I am actually a Nissan loyalist and like the styling of these so they are prob the biggest competitor to the Tribeca for me. The FX is more expensive and is almost too car like looking and i think they both have bad rear visibility out the back window. Even the Murano comes out more expensive then the Tribeca.

Bottom line for me is that the Tribeca is newer which though is a risk especially as it was too new for consumer reports to fully rate but it is based on the year after year recommended Outback/Legacay so its likely it will be recommended by CR. Having a model soon after it just came out adds a fun factor to it being new to you and new on the road as a model.

Also its little things like side view mirror turn signals that the VW Touareg has but is not a recommended model, and none of these other comparative models have. And of course the puddle lights that none of these other models have. So for me its just the whole package of certain features even little details the non boring even controversial styling, its newness, based on recommended models and the fact that i can get one loaded for a better price then any of the other models similiarly equipped.

For me it comes down to the Murano and the Tribeca which edges it out thanks to lower price and a few minor details that the Murano doesn't have.
    CR generally rates Subies very highly, Forester has been on top for years in the Excellent category and Legacy and Outback have rated Very Good. One of the few criticisms mentioned is a bit of oversteer in some situations, but the VDC models don't have that characteristic.

Tribeca has VDC, so it's very likely they will rate it highly.

The puddle lights are really cool, they let off a bluish hue.

-juice
    Yeah in the latest Consumer Reports annual car issue every single Subaru (which is rare as some makes don't have a single recommended model) gets a recommended check mark which is what you want to look for and means that is a CR top pick and is an all around high performer that has scored at or near the top among competitor vehicles in their comprehensive evaluation programs, avg or better reliability, adequate crash testing etc. etc. Basically everything that really matters so its always a shame when your favorite looking car doesn't make the cut but the facts are the facts and unlike car and drive car of the year etc. and other magazines it isn't advertiser biased etc.

Also the WRX gets #1 top pick for "Fun To Drive". The B9 being loosely based on the Legacy/Outback looks promising as the Legacy is not only recommended but scores only under the Passast, Accord and Camry in total. So it will be interesting to see what CR rates the Tribeca as it was too new and untested for the last isssue but again it looks promising and its worth the risk for the enjoyment of having it while its a new model instead of waiting for CR's April 2006 annual car issue.

Also on a semi unrelated issue but dealing with comparisons. Why did i see a forum of ppl saying that the Tribecas front grill was ugly and then saying that the Saab version will be better? Didn't these ppl know that the Saab 9-7X has nothing to do with the Subaru B9 Tribeca and is actually just a crappy unrecommended poorly rated Chevy Trailblazer with upgraded interor and exterior appointments from a manufac with only one well rated recommended vehicles
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "a few minor details that the Murano doesn't have."

However, the Murano has a few not-so-minor details that the B9 does not have. I would consider memory seats, HID lights, auto up/down windows, auto-dimming mirrors, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, smart key, a little more useful than puddle lights, and turn signal on the mirrors.

As for controversial styling, that's a draw.
    well not to sound bias and like how some ppl just defend what they have or are set on although in that case you possibly sound like a Murano owner. But me personally I don't care about memory seats, yes i guess its useful if someone gets in and changes your seats but i'm coming from no power seat at all in a cloth Pathfinder and just dont mind that missing option or adjusting my seat each time. HID lights you can prob put in yourself by chaning the bulb, cool bulbs are important to me though I understand the tribecas to be something like direct beam or whatever they call and again I'm sure you can put some Xenon/HID bulbs in.

Auto dimming rear view mirror it does have as an option. Tilt/telescoping wheel i've seen ppl complain about but its nothing I ever use or need so I don't mind. Smart key that unlocks when you get near or whatever and/or starts car as long as its on your person. Again dont have it so i wont miss it..

And as far as cool bluish puddle lights that no cars have , even if it is more just novelty then useful its well pretty damn cool and again no other cars have. And turn signal on the mirror is something few other suvs have and none that directly compare and is both cool and useful. Again its all preference but I personally would rather have the puddle lights and turn signal side mirrors over any 2 of those options missing or even in place of all of them so i guess B9 is for me.

Plus all the features it does have = or better then the competition not to mention what ends up being all on the lower price end when comparing which is a point that others brought up in defense of the missing features.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    Actually they were talking about the upcoming Saab 9-6X NOT the 9-7X. Saab recently announced that they will come out with thier own version based on the B9 platform. Now that could be FUN!
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    A clarification - Murano has tilt wheel and optional power pedal adjustment. But it does not have a telescoping wheel.
    CR also rated Subaru the most reliable brand for 2004, ahead of Lexus even. That was the first time, but they're usually up there in the top 5.

Murano wins the longest options list race. Pretty incredible really what they offer if you're willing to pay for it.

-juice
  • tigger5753tigger5753 Posts: 40
    I think it's been well talked about the fact that the Murano does have more features, and it depends on whether you want them or not. HID can't be had by just "changing the bulbs".. it's a whole different assembly.. I did try those "HID/Xenon" like bulbs in my old Explorer, but they just has a cool look, but not very bright...

Tho saying the the puddle lights is a cool feature is the same reasoning bodble2 is saying about the nicer features that the Murano has... to each their own...

I did get a chance to see one parked near me last week and I'd say it looks better in person than it does in pictures.. I liked the side view alot, but the nose is still subjective.. what I don't like is the rear view..

Time for the car mags to do a shootout on crossover suvs...