Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• njm35njm35 Member Posts: 7
    I have been having similar problems. My seat does not always come into position when I start the car and the memory looses its memory.

I just took it into the dealer to be fixed and they said they reset it and it worked fine a dozen times in a row. As soon as I picked the car up that night it would not go into position automatically.

I have to take it back again now. Big waste of time!
  • njm35njm35 Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem and I just took it to my dealer for warranty work. I was told "yea we know that problem and there is no fix for it". But we noted it in the computer.

I am also haveing problems with my power seat memory.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I just was reading the service manual on adjustment of the HID low-beams. There are two different procedures depending on whether you have the AFS system or not. Without AFS, you can mechanically adjust the lights. With the AFS, you can only adjust them with the computer +/- 15%, since the height is controlled by the vehicle height sensor on the rear suspension and a servo motor. Next time I'm at the dealer's, I'm going to ask them to set it to the max height and see if it makes any difference, since I have the AFS on my car. I'm going to check to see where it is actually pointing first, and see where that actually is relative to the manual system's specs and the specs for the car with AFS. Note, the height is adjusted based on the load and the driving and road conditions. It seems to integrate the changes with accelleration and decelleration so you don't have the motor constanly making small changes.
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    Much to my surprise, I just picked up my M35 and found that the doors do not auto lock when driving...worse than that, if you lock the doors, they do not automatically unlock when you try and leave the cars, which my E320 had an I was used to...
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    The only time the doors will automatically lock is if you unlock them, but don't open a door within a (fairly) long time. They do not auto lock or unlock. Many people find this odd...doesn't bother me, but that is the way it is.
  • spaceguy1spaceguy1 Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I'd let y'all know what the resolution of my issue with the rattle coming from the rear of the car was. It seems that one of the brackets holding the exhaust had been jarred loose by a pretty hard scrape on the undercarriage. Not sure when it happened, might have even been present when we first got the car. In any event, it was about a $90 repair job, and now all is well.
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    Same here...is that the way it is supposed to be???
  • m35bloomingtonm35bloomington Member Posts: 3
    My '07 M35 went in for 5 irritations in March '07. This was only one of them. 2 different gas stations, 2 different weekends with temperatures below 5 degrees. The gas station spicket had 3 settings. I put it on the slowest rate of fuel-in, knowing it happens on this car. Pump stopped at half way. 'tried manually filling and it stopped and I left station with a half tank. Dealer says "we've heard of this issue, but you brought your car in with a full tank, so we cannot check it". Imagine, dealers "heard of issue" but needs to see it happen fothemselves. 'same fuel station, never happened with car at half this price.
  • badboymiabadboymia Member Posts: 6
    the only problems i have with the lightin system is the materaial they use for the head light it gets scratch very easy i hate it!!!
  • vanpoortenvanpoorten Member Posts: 3
    I have had my M35x for almost 2 years. Early this spring it started to do the same thing and my dealer cannot seem to fix it. They actually witnessed the problem, but were not able to duplicate it the next time. There is also no particular pattern which makes it even more of a challenge; however, I have the problem most of the time (except when the car is at the dealer). They contacted Tech Line and indicated to me that the problem has not been reported.

Were you able to have it solved?
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    '07 M35 (7900 miles) I had the same prob several weeks ago, but thought it was the gas station. Car would only take 5 gals into the tank - happened twice in a row, but not before or since. Let us know how this turns out.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I am the starter of this topic and I just live with the problem. I don't think it's heat sensitive because I'm in Florida. The problem does seem to only occur at gas stations with fast pumps. I pump gas slowly.

This is a design flaw....my dealer has no idea how to fix it.
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I've seen several posts regarding this problem, but didn't know what they were talking about, having never experienced it. Twice in the last couple of days, while descending a somewhat steep grade on dry pavement, the transmission downshifted, causing RPM to go to about 4500. Can this be a programmed-in response to conditions, or is it a design flaw? I found it very unsettling and plan to discuss it with the dealer. I have about 20k miles and 21 months on the car. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? :confuse:
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    From what I've been told, the early pump shut off is not due to a design flaw. The M's gas tank/sensors were built to comply with pumps now required in California. As the newer pumps work across the country the problem should disappear.

Then again, this could be total malarkey but it is what I've been told by an Infiniti rep who was responding to my question, not complaint.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    For the last couple of months I've had this problem as well ... after two years of NEVER experiencing it. I've been filling up at the same Chevron station almost exclusively and there was new signage up a few weeks ago ... perhaps evidence of a change in pumps? Next fill I'll try a different Chevron and see what happens. Bart :shades:
    If this early cutoff is by design, someone should be shot. Most of the time you can wait a little and then refuel slowly to fill the tank...but a couple of times, I just couldn't add any more fuel and the tank was only 1/2 full. This would not make me very happy on a long road trip....or where there are few gas stations open (night driving in the country).

I believe it's a design flaw...and potentially a problem when you really do need a full tank of gas (before a major storm, etc). I live with it...but let's call a flaw a flaw.
    How can it be an Infiniti design flaw if it hasn't happened in 2+ years? I do agree with you, however, that if it's a pump flaw someone should be drawn and quartered. Bart :shades:
    Thank You EPA!
  • bcorig1bcorig1 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I got my M35 in October 2005 and noticed it almost immediately its been happening ever since. I sent this in then but no one responded.
    I told Service and they said they would have to reproduce it - the dealership is in flat land. I haven't bothered.
    So, when I get to a hill I change to the manual shifter and just up shift till its controlled.
    Let me know if you have any luck.
    Filled up at the OTHER Chevron station today ... filled fully. While the one I usually frequent has s pump issue the rare alternate is on my way to and from work ... and at $2.69 per gallon for the medium octane they now have my business.

Bart :shades:
    07 M35 with adv tech package. The adaptive cruise control abruptly disengages in the rain. Dealer says this is normal. CC works fine in "classic mode" in the rain. Anyone else with this problem?
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    Yes, and fortunately the solution (on my '06 anyway is to hold down the distance to car ahead/radar button for a few seconds. This will override the issue with the wipers (causing the system to accidentally detect the wipers as a car ahead).

Hope this helps.

Alan
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Yes, and fortunately the solution (on my '06 anyway is to hold down the distance to car ahead/radar button for a few seconds. This will override the issue with the wipers (causing the system to accidentally detect the wipers as a car ahead).

This is not an issue. This is the way the car was designed. Infiniti doesn't believe it safe to be using radar controlled cruise during rain so it will be disabled if you are using your own wipers. The radar is located in the front bumper so it is not recognizing your wipers as a car ahead.

The only cruise available if your wipers are on, as stated in your manual, is "normal" cruise control rather than adaptive cruise control.
    Thank to both of you for the reply. Just wated to make sure my system was not malfunctioning. One option I wish Infin would include on these cars is headlights automatically come on when you turn on the w/wipers.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    I have a Lexus LS460 with the Pre-Collision System which includes radar cruise control. I had to special order the car because not a single car with this option was shipped to the northeast (or any snowbelt state for that matter). The reason for this I was told from several sources was that rain, sleet and snow would interfere with the radar, so Lexus in their wisdom felt people in northern states just shouldn't have it.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    My 2007 M35x has lost it's left channel on Sirius. The left channel works fine on AM and FM. Has any one else had this problem?
  • ritter3ritter3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 M35x. When I push the Disc button for the
    cd to play I first get a message saying it is reading the
    disc then I get an error message. I called the dealer and
    he said bring it in that may have to replace the player.
    The only cd's that were ever played were original disc, not copies. Did anybody else have this problem. I also must
    get the rubber seal replaced around the drivers door for
    the third time. I only have 24,000 miles on the car.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    I cracked my mirrorpulling out of my garage. Anyone know where I can purchase a new passengers side mirror?
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I had this problem about a year ago, and they had to replace the radio/cd player. There is a fault in the laser which reads the disc.

Since they did this the CD player has been fine. It may be a known issue by now.

Hope this helps.
    This is a perplexing problem I have had almost since the beginning. I have a 2006 M35X with everything but the rear DVD. When accelerating or decelerating I get a buzzing sound (like something resonating) between 2500 and 3000 RPM's. The car has been back to the dealer 5 times for this, and only on the 5th visit could they reproduce the problem. They had the car for 2 days, switched exhaust systems with another car, the problem remained, switched back, and finally claimed they had tightened all the heat shields on the exhaust. I got the car back yesterday and the problem appeared solved until I got off the highway, and it was back, maybe worse than before. It is intermittent, which means it may be temperature related, but they have no idea on what it could be.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how was it resolved?
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Try Infiniti-parts.com. They usually have just about everything you need for your car. I think they are based out of Dallas. May be the parts department at Sewell Infiniti. Link attached. May have to cut and paste. Navigation on their site is pretty easy if the link doesn't work. However, I hope it does. Good Luck!">link title

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=2- 13775&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2732&groupid=2740&subgroupid=3742&componentid=0&make- =14&model=M35&year=2006&graphicID=3865515&callout=3&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid- =2
  • mule714mule714 Member Posts: 22
    I had this problem on my M35x. It took a couple trips to the dealership but they finally fixed it. I can't recall the exact fix but it did require a large replacement of the power steering system. Parts had to be ordered.
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    Mule can you give me more info on the fix for the power steering system problem? What Dealership fixed it fo you, name and city. List of parts from repair order. My car is going in for 30k service on Friday 9/14 and I would love to have more info to try to get this fixed.

bobicg@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • mule714mule714 Member Posts: 22
    For the benefit of the forum...

The problem I was having was a nasty noise when making right turns just after starting car. Started only a few months after purchasing but got progressively worse and even more so in cold weather. Finally dealt with it after 1 year.

Initially brought in on 2/27 and complained of "groaning noise when making right hand turns" Tech diagnosed noise in P/Steering Rack and ordered P/Steering Rack

I can't find an invoice indicating if power steering rack was actually installed. I seem to recall they did install after ordering part but it didn't fix the problem.

Brought back on 3/12/07 since I was still hearing the noise.
    Left front hub worn causing noise
    Diag repl left frnt hub road tested ok
    Parts: Hub Assy-Road Wheel -40202-EG300

After replacing frt hub for nose in front end noise coming from from steering (basically I don't think the hub replacement worked)
    Steering wheel and column
    Parts
    Gear & linkage - 49001-EH11A
    Power steering fluid - 999MP-AG000P

Good luck and don't say no until they fix it!
  • thegman230thegman230 Member Posts: 17
    Your car needs a new "y" pipe which is the flex pipe before the exhaust starts. There is an internal shield loose inside the pipe and cannot be fixed and the unit must be replaced. Just swapping the exhausts will not do a thing as this part is before the exhaust boths to it. I had this very same issue, exactly as you described and others have as well on www.freshalloy.com and Ifinally could not take it anymore so I put it on a lift myself and put the car in drive and ran tha sucker till it made the noise and found it. The problem with them not hearing the noise is that it will only occur under LOAD with the wheels spinning and not just standing still with the engine revving. They must put it up on the lift and drive it to hear it. Trust me, that is the problem and they should have hear about it. Tell then to call Infiniti of Charlotte, NC and verify as that is where they replaced mine and it fixed it 100%. Believe me, I was at 5 different dealers until I nailed it down and got it fixed, after telling them to do what I said and sure enough they found it.

Good luck!

Greg
  • ls430ls430 Member Posts: 3
    OK I went for it and bought one of the last few 2007 m45's, even got a good deal. So far I am happy with things, some of the technology is a step up from my 2004 ls430 so it keeps me interested, I drove the ls460 and it was just too similar, the M is a rocketship. Of course I just read on here that the heated seats will not heat till the whole car does, that is a pathetically stupid way of designing them, oh well it's too late to change now.

OK now for my question: I want to make the 12v outlet inside the center consol hot at all times for charging my blackberry and the dealer wasn't bright enough to figure out how to do this, Lexus had no problems doing this so I thought it would be an easy thing. See my drive to work is too short and I am usually using it during this period, I want to charge at night without bringing it in the house. Anyway has anyone out there done or had this done to their car? if so I want to get the name of the dealer so I can hook my dealer up with them etc.

But all in all I now look forward to getting in the car and driving and that is what I was after in the first place, I put this car up against some tough competition when deciding to get it, I was looking at the Audi A8, BMW 750i/535i, LS460, S550. When I took all things into account including PRICE I picked the M45. the m45 was the best fit for me when taking the whole picture into account, looks, drive, gizmos, and price. And I think I researched and testdrove till I was blue, I am still getting calls from dealers... also this forum was a great help so THANKS!!
    Thank you for that update. I will present this to Infiniti-the factory rep is going to drive the car in the next week or two. It's SO annoying.

Another new problem is when the car is cold, the shift from 2-3 is very hard--slams into gear. The service manager drove with me after leaving the car over night and he said it's normal--somehow I find that hard to accept on a $50K car.

I'll keep you posted on the Y pipe.

Thanks again.
    I have 06 M35x with 34k miles, I bought it new in 1/2006. When the turn signal turns off on a left turn I hear a very loud click coming from the steering column. It makes some noise on a right turn but not nearly as loud. The dealer says this is "normal" cancellation cam noise. No other luxury car I have ever owned made that much noise from the steering column when the turn signals disengaged.

Anyone else have this problem or a fix.

Thanks
    "they all do it" is such a wimpy excuse. The alternate I don't want to deal with this excuse is "we couldn't recreate the problem". Both are solved the same way:

First, sit the service manager in the passenger seat of your car...and YOU create the noise. Ask if he hears it....not if it's normal...but "do you hear that noise?".

Then take the service manager to a new, demonstrator car and you repeat what you did...YOU do the same thing and he listens. If it's normal, they both will make the same loud noise. If not, hand your keys to the service manager and ask when you can pick up your repaired car.

My M35 makes almost no noise disengaging the signal.
  • spider441spider441 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,
    Unfortunately my 2006 M35 is involved in an two car accident. There is considerable damage to the front and some minor damage to the back. Can you guys advise me as to what's the best place to get this repaired?
    The other car driver's insurance is going to bear the cost, so I want to take it to the best possible body shop. Should I take it to the Infiniti dealership?

The other important question I have is if Infiniti will honor it's warranty ( i still have a couple of years left) if the car has gone through such a collision.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    If my car was under warranty and someone else is going to pay for the repairs, I would definately take it to the dealer for repairs. By doing that, Infiniti and your dealer can't claim that the accident was not fixed completely...or that something failed due to the accident. Alternatively, if your dealer farms out body work, find out what body shop they use and use that shop. They can't claim that you used a shop that didn't fix things correctly.

Sorry to hear of your problems...best of luck
  • wayno2wayno2 Member Posts: 1
    I get very hot air from my vents with the outside air vent on and AC off. I would like to know who else has this problem and how to get Infiniti to fix it.
    This happens on my 2007 M35.
    With the engine fully warmed up turn off the climate control system so the AC doesn’t go on. Push button “intake air control” for outside air. Set “mode” for floor vent only. Turn fan speed to medium or high. I tested this with the outside temperature at around 65-70 degrees. After a few minutes I tested the temperature of the air coming in from the floor vent, it’s 105 degrees and the floor next to the gas peddle is quite warm.

I took the car to Infiniti Service at the dealership and they said they all are like that; it’s designed to take the air across the engine and into the car. If the engine is hot then you get the hot air. The only way to not get hot air is to turn on the AC.
    All,

I had my 06 M35x into the Cincinnati Infiniti dealer on 11/9 to fix this problem.

Here is what was done and it worked:

Gear & linkage - 49001-EH11A
    Power steering fluid - 999MP-AG000P

Thanks to mule714 for pointing me in the right direction.
  • ownertobeownertobe Member Posts: 2
    Went to pick up our new black M35 and found numerous scratches and a couple of chips in the paint. They sent it to the body shop to try and buff out the scratches, but when we went back today a number of the scratches are still there. We refussed the car as we think it should be in better conditon. The dealership said black has this problem and we should choose another color. Any comments? Again this is a NEW car. Thanks.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    Yes, It's true that black will show absolutely everything. Also, I would not take the car if it was not perfect. If I were you, I would choose another color as you will be finding scratches and swirl marks on Black all the time.
    Greg,

I had Infiniti change the y pipe, plus they found the metal shield in the drive tunnel behind that pipe was not loose but needed to be torqued. So far the problem is gone, and it's been a few weeks.

I still have the problem with hard shifting from 2-3 when the car is cold, and when its about 20 outside it takes a long time to go away. The dealer says its normal, I am not sure it is....

Thanks for the hint-it worked.
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    I have a black M35 (2007) and it absolutely flawless - not a single scratch or issue to be addressed. Is it harder to keep clean - you bet. Is it easier to show scratches - sure, just try a dirty cloth to wash and smile at all the scratches. Is it beautiful when clean and liquid shiny - nothing can match its beauty.

Refuse the car, if the dealer doesn't replace it, then walk (no - - run ) to another dealer and see if they will match the offer.
    When I picked my car up new 04 G35 Coupe, the salesman had it in the showroom so that I could inspect every inch inside and out.
  • ownertobeownertobe Member Posts: 2
    Now that's the way a dealership should act. The dealership sent the black one back to dealer where it came from and we are back to square one. Funny thing was they said we weren't cut out to have a black car! Gee, wanting a new car to look new no matter what color is reasonable in my opinion. I have a 2001 Lexus and it still looks new! Oh, but it's silver. Now we just have to hope they have canceled the loan.
    Make sure they don't charge you one nickel! Get the car you want in new new condition.