Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    For starters, hilley, there WAS no 2003 M35. They had the M45 which I personally felt was a better looking car (as I felt tha 2nd iteration of the Q45 was better looking than the 1st and 3rd efforts).
  • altaredaltared Posts: 12
    Am glad I did not purchase the Technology package in my '07 M35. I just didn't see any value in ICC, Navigation, tracking headlights, etc, etc. There is a point when technology is just 'too over the top' to be practical. I did buy the Entertainment package though. Have had no issues yet at all with my vehicle (but had it only a month so far).

Like some others, I would have liked to seen a 6th gear or overdrive like my 2000 Infiniti did for touring/cruising, but that is a minor issue in my mind for a performance based vehicle.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    Several times I have pulled into a gas station and started to fill my gas tank, only to find that the pump turns off after just a few gallons..well before the gas tank is full. If I wait a little, I can pump more gas into the tank..but it can be two or three tries before I really fill the tank.

I believe this is due to the gas tank vent somehow getting blocked when the gas is pumped too rapidly....not necessarily a problem with my specific car, but perhaps a design "feature" of the M35.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Occasionally, but I've never had a car that has been immune to this "balking". It's clearly a venting issue and I tend to encounter it more in the summer months than winter.

For the record, my gas mileage never got above 16.9 (per on board computer) for the first 10K miles ... now I'm getting 17.4 and we're still pumping the summer blend here. In addition, I've dropped from premium (91 octane) to middle grade (89 octane) and am still doing better.

Bart
  • rrhearrhea Posts: 3
    I use 87 octane in my 2006 M35 without difficulty.

Note that octane rating has nothing to do with gas mileage. You will get the same mileage no matter what octane you use. You only need to use higher octane if the owners manual recommends it.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    In order to not burn holes in the pistons when using a lower octane, the computer changes the timing and the power output of the engine. Depending on how you drive, you might very well be tempted to push the throttle harder to get the same performance out of the car. If you do that, you will get lower gas mileage with the lower octane. It very much depends on how you drive.
  • Are the seat bottoms only heated, not the seatbacks, with the heated and cooled seats
    I'm 19 months into my M35 Sport and still haven't had a moment's problem with it. Its endless array of high tech "stuff" wore off as novelties usually do and the only thing that still impresses me is the nav system. The Bluetooth phone capability is fine but frankly I find it no more useful than my OnStar in my Caddy ... and with my OnStar I didn't have to remember to carry a cell phone with me everywhere I went. Still love driving the car, but there's a lot of dollars tied up in things I can (and do) readily live without. Bart :shades:
  • chibchib Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced their M shaking or pulsating when they are cruising at roughly 37mph and 1400RPM on perfectly smooth road. My car has been doing this since the day I bought it, now I have 18000 miles and there still has been no resolution. Any ideas welcomed.
    Mine has a very slight pulse only when cold at around that speed. It seems to go away once warmed up.
  • bcorigbcorig Posts: 13
    One year old today 17,000 mi M35
    I just got back from a short trip to San Diego from LA. On I 15 NO ONE was going less than 80 MPH. When I had to pass it was so effortless and smooth.
    At 100 MPH the Car was solid and true - I didn't realize it until I looked down at the Speedometer.
    It still downshifts when braking down a steep hill and I will look into this but this car is so much fun to drive, I hate to bring it and leave it.
  • bcorigbcorig Posts: 13
    Happens to me at only one Mobil Station in Diamond Bar CA so it may be a station nozzle issue.
    Gas mileage - I get better mileage when manually shifting to keep at the lowest RPMs.
    At least 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement.
    I get 19 - 20 mpg 50% Freeway 50% Surface street.
    I really like this vehicle.
  • poorprofpoorprof Posts: 109
    Most luxury cars have a feature such that when you put the car in drive and take off, the doors lock. My M 35 is two days new and I havent figured much out yet, but do the doors lock when you drive?
    No, the doors do not automatically lock on the M35...AND...the seat belt reminder nicely reminds you to put the belt only once...and then it's up to you if you wear the belt.

There might be a way to set the doors to lock though...I've never looked because even though it's supposedly safer, it drives me nuts.
    First, my dealer did find soemthing amiss with some emission control canister, but that didn't fully solve my problem.

I finally discovered that, yes, it's pump related...and that if I rotate the nozzle a bit to the left or right (rather an just let it sit in the gas tank filler), I have no problems.
  • checked with infiniti....they cannot lock automatically, nor can you get daytime running lights...only in canada...

great car.....
  • I just picked up my M35 last week. So far, I do love the car, although, after trading in my Benz, it has taken some getting used to. The door locks had perplexed me as well and was happily surprised someone had already inquired. However, the answer shocks me! My last 3 cars, including a Ford, all had doors that locked when the car was put into gear and, even nicer, unlocked automatically when you pulled on the door handle. This is a 50k luxury car and that seems like a simple thing. I drove around for a week before I realized I had been driving around with the doors unlocked. I guess I will just have to retrain myself to manually lock and unlock, but honestly, I'm surprised I have to.
    Has anyone bought the service manual on CD? I assume it is the same one that the dealer uses. The Infiniti site's cost is $210...anyone found it for less? I don't usually do much on my car - but, find it handy to understand what is involved, and be ready if away from a dealer, if something should happen.
    Bobbio --- I took delivery of my M35 in April of 2005 and from day #1 the posters on this thread raised the lack of automatic doorlocks as a material oversight. There were also complaints about the passenger's seat controls, but I understand that it has been remedied in the '07 model. It's a great car ... but it's hard to comprehend a $50K car being brought to market with two silly and minor things missing.

Another issue is that the eyeglass compartment gets scalding hot in the summertime, another minor problem that could have been eliminated by simply venting its door! My wife's Lexus does just that ... a simple slit of a vent that's cosmetically invisible but keeps glasses wearable.

Another problem is the lack of ability to start the car without the key fob. Heaven forbid you (or a valet) loses it and you're stranded w/ no hope of rescuing yourself.

Oh well ... no car's perfect! But the fun of driving this car makes up for some of the sins.

Bart :confuse:
  • I have plugged my iPod into the RCA inputs in the rear of the center console using a high-quality Monster cable shielded connector, and have docked the iPod into the cigarette lighter in the front. Using the AUX selection, I get great sound from my iPod this way. However, there is audible interference noise, probably generated by the alternator, as the pitch follows vehicle acceleration up and down. Has anyone experienced this and do you have any recommendations for shielding this noise from the speakers? It's not a huge annoyance, but I'm sure it can be eliminated with an after-market product designed to do this. :confuse:

Thanks